Go with Simms until he has a crap game

Matt39

The Jets started out saying they wanted to be competitive.  Then when training camp and preseason progressed it looked like the front office was in turmoil and everyone figured we were in for a 2 or 3 win season and a big rebuild.  Then we go to 5-4 and suddenly we start talking playoffs.  Now we stink out the place in this game and all is lost.

We are already way ahead of what everyone anticipated, show a little patience with these new guys, especially the rookies.

Teams need a spark player- sitting Geno isn't giving up on him. The back and forth roller coaster...time for something different. If Simms stinks it up we can always return to Geno with a home game. 

The Raiders just got a spark. The Texans did for a bit with Keenum. The Bucs have found something with Bobby Rainey out of nowhere. Sometimes a change to the unknown gives you a jolt. Why not roll the dice? Winning every other game is a wasted season. sh*tty pick with really no feel of where the team is going or what it is. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teams need a spark player- sitting Geno isn't giving up on him. The back and forth roller coaster...time for something different. If Simms stinks it up we can always return to Geno with a home game. 

The Raiders just got a spark. The Texans did for a bit with Keenum. The Bucs have found something with Bobby Rainey out of nowhere. Sometimes a change to the unknown gives you a jolt.

Not for nothing but Bobby Rainey only got a shot after both Doug Martin and Mike James had season ending injuries. 

The Raiders just got a spark. The Texans did for a bit with Keenum. The Bucs have found something with Bobby Rainey out of nowhere. Sometimes a change to the unknown gives you a jolt. Why not roll the dice? Winning every other game is a wasted season. sh*tty pick with really no feel of where the team is going or what it is. 

I get where you're coming from, but if you want to develop either Smith or Simms, jockeying them back and forth when one has a bad game isn't the answer.  The Raiders got a spark because they had a 150 yard game from Rashad Jennings and ran into a Houston Texans' team that had their previous spark in Keenum pulled because the "throw it up for Andre Johnson" plan stopped being effective. Now, Texas is stuck with whether or not to go with Keenum or Schaub after the former was benched and I'm not sure that's good for a franchise either. 

Now what happens when Jennings gets shut down and McGloin throws a number of picks because he can't carry the team on his shoulders, do they go back to Pryor or give him another start to show a bigger sample size? I just think that our franchise made a decision in riding with Geno when they started him this season and unless he gets hurt or is the only one on the team playing poorly, he's gonna play the year out and we'll reevaluate in the off-season

What benefit did Geno get from that game? He's not getting better....teams have picked up on his tendencies as a passer. The Jets have zero good WR's....again, the unknown helped him in the beginning of the year. Now, not so much.

The Ravens defense is better than Buffalo's. Their secondary is better. Tough place to play....why not throw them a wildcard and start a guy that has zero game tape? 

I get where you're coming from, but if you want to develop either Smith or Simms, jockeying them back and forth when one has a bad game isn't the answer.  The Raiders got a spark because they had a 150 yard game from Rashad Jennings and ran into a Houston Texans' team that had their previous spark in Keenum pulled because the "throw it up for Andre Johnson" plan stopped being effective. Now, Texas is stuck with whether or not to go with Keenum or Schaub after the former was benched and I'm not sure that's good for a franchise either. 

Now what happens when Jennings gets shut down and McGloin throws a number of picks because he can't carry the team on his shoulders, do they go back to Pryor or give him another start to show a bigger sample size? I just think that our franchise made a decision in riding with Geno when they started him this season and unless he gets hurt or is the only one on the team playing poorly, he's gonna play the year out and we'll reevaluate in the off-season

You adjust though. If the Jets had 2 wins I'd say just play him till his arm falls off this year. The AFC stinks and there's a playoff spot sitting right in front of the Jets. I'd prefer them try and make it and see what happens than just throwing Geno to the wolves. Second road game in a row against another good defense. It's not going to be pretty. Dont see any reason to get the kid killed.

go with Simms until he has a crap game? NO 1 game is too much.

go with Geno until he has 10 crap games? SURE! He's a rookie and every time he throws a pick 6 an angel gets his wings.

So then we should only give a QB 2/3s of a season to prove that he's a sure-fire NFL starting talent? So what's the plan, draft a QB every single year until we have one that gives us a winning record and doesn't make mistakes his first 10 games? It's just not going to happen. Developing QBs doesn't = drafting one every year until one doesn't make a mistake. You actually have to try to develop one and part of that is off-season training, mini camps, film study, surrounding him with better players and working on mistakes. It's not giving up on one who's gotten a talent-barren roster to 5-5 through his first 10 games: especially considering every single person thought he should sit a year as he wasn't even ready to start. 

What a signal to send. 

Guys, we got blown out, our QB played bad.  I know we're sitting at the 6th seed right now with plenty of games left, but I'm going to bench the guy that got us here because he had a bad game.

lol

Fire Rex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geno DID NOT get us here. He hasn't played well since the Atlanta game. And btw EVERYONE has lit up the Atlanta defense this year.

“Why not play Cousins?” Jurgensen asked during the Redskins Radio Network broadcast, heard locally on ESPN 980.

“Robert’s in the game, he turns, he gives it to Alfred Morris on the run, gains a yard,” Larry Michael said. “You’re gonna pull the plug already, huh?”

“It’s not pulling the plug, it’s getting a change,” Jurgensen said. “Make a change. Can it be any worse? You get four yards passing in a half? I would look at the other quarterback, see if he can make something happen. It’s not the end of the world. They take out pitchers, don’t they?”

“They do take out pitchers,” Chris Cooley agreed. “Having a bad game, have a seat.”

“Having a bad game,” Jurgensen continued. “The curveball’s not breaking.”

Must have been that other Geno Smith who's been the starting QB for the Jets and has led them to 4 comeback victories.  

My bad.  Carry on.

Look at his stats for the last 5 games. Playing like sh*t all game except the last drive, doesnt mean you helped the team win. 

Look at his stats for the last 5 games. Playing like sh*t all game except the last drive, doesnt mean you helped the team win. 

Yeah, he's terrible.  But he's the leader.  The team likes him.  You dont sit your QB in the middle of a playoff run if its not because of injury.  That's just stupid.  This isnt the Redskins who sucks.  This is a team currently battling for a playoff spot.

Fans are irrational.  Everyone is giving up on the season because of a bad game.  Guess who isnt giving up?  The Jets.  The NY Jets are going to give it all they got to make the playoffs despite their fans giving up on the season because of the loss on Sunday.

You know what putting Matt sh*tbag Simms in the ball game does?  It tells your team you're giving up on the season for the betterment of 1 player.  

That is stupidity at its finest.

You know what putting Matt sh*tbag Simms in the ball game does?  It tells you're team you're giving up on the season for the betterment of 1 player.  

That stupidity at its finest.

How? You dont think the defense has grown tired of the turnovers by now?

Oh, so we should model things after the stupid Redskins.  Good call.

Pitchers get taken out because no one pitches complete games anymore, and the MLB season is 162 games long.  What a stupid analogy.  As if Bratt Matsimms is some sort of Mariano Rivera who's gonna save the day for us.

Oh, so we should model things after the stupid Redskins.  Good call.

Pitchers get taken out because no one pitches complete games anymore, and the MLB season is 162 games long.  What a stupid analogy.  As if Bratt Matsimms is some sort of Mariano Rivera who's gonna save the day for us.

That's not exactly how I took it. If a pitcher comes out of the gate struggling, there's no shame in turning to someone else. 

You of all people defending yesterday is hysterical.

I think the defense is happy he's bailed them out on a few occasions.

You dont think Matt will do the same thing?  His should have been INT was pathetic.  Just as bad as anything Geno threw.

I have no idea what Simms will be. Neither do the Ravens. The Ravens want Geno to play Sunday. 

That's not exactly how I took it. If a pitcher comes out of the gate struggling, there's no shame in turning to someone else. 

You of all people defending yesterday is hysterical.

Not defending Geno.  But acting like Simms is going to save us is beyond pathetic.  It's the same sh** we did with Greg McElroy.  Simms is a 3rd-string caliber QB.

You must have wanted Brett Ratliff, Kellen Clemens, and Greg McElroy to play too.

Hey Kellen Clemens went into Baltimore and should have gotten a win. That was with a scary good Ravens defense too.

It has nothing to do with wanting the backup...I want to give Geno a mental break. He's close to rock bottom here.

Yes you are.  You're suggesting that Simms is the answer to us making the postseason.

um no. I think we've seen enough of Geno to know he isnt taking us there is what I'm saying. We cant pass the ball right now. The receivers are god awful but the turnovers are killing everything. 

Geno is not the starter, he was never officially given the job, and recently he's played poorly enough to lose it. He's not getting better and even in his "Signature" wins he's been bad. Really bad. When's the last good game Geno had? ATL week 5 (the falcons are 2-8 by the way).

Geno Smith is 2nd in INTs (1st in Pick 6s) and 32nd in QB rating, Matt Simms literally can't be worse.

Geno is not the starter, he was never officially given the job, and recently he's played poorly enough to lose it. He's not getting better and even in his "Signature" wins he's been bad. Really bad. When's the last good game Geno had? ATL week 5 (the falcons are 2-8 by the way).

Geno Smith is 2nd in INTs (1st in Pick 6s) and 32nd in QB rating, Matt Simms literally can't be worse.

And if Simms stinks it up.....so what. I think at this point you need to try something different. 

Archived