Two wizened Jets fans jump on the Bevell Train: How to fix the Jets

T0mShane

I'm waiting for super fan #1 JiF's response to these questions before I can comment

I'm flattered.  Here you go:

1)  The New York Jets biggest problem is the QB position.  Rex has made a career of winning despite his QB which is probably the most difficult way to win in all of Football.  Just go ask the super bowl winning awesome great Head Coach Mike McCarthy how easy it is to rack up wins with out Rodgers.   

2)  Geno Smith is terrible.  Terrible.  He's not an NFL QB. Idzik is a moron going into this season with Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith and proceeding to surround them with the worst skills players in the league.  Nobody in the NFL wins with Geno as their QB and this offense.  Nobody.

3)  No.  You dont extend him based on 11 games.  While the coaching has been spectacular thus far you still have to see how they finish the season before extending.  I think Rex is top notch and the Jets will be hard pressed to find a better replacement but you dont extend him now.  The talent on this team is terrible.  The one area that is exceeding is Rex's bread and butter.  Find him some offense, but most importantly, a QB and the sky is the limit.  He's right for this team.

4)  Depends on who's there.  The Jets are desperate for talent so just about anything other then DL will help significantly, assuming Idzik doesnt continue to blow the draft.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lok at what you got with REX? A never before head coach that has shown he is not a good manager of an entire team

Yeah, but he has swagger and acts like a clown. we havent seen that kind of idiocy since Kotite. Kotite circa 1996 ''we have to get back on track'' press answers ''how do you do that when you never were on track'' Kotite ''deer in head light look''

2013<>1996

Favorite part of this wise article is when one of the super smart Jets fan says that he's all for breaking the tradition of the run first Head Coach and hiring Darrell Bevell, who runs the ball more than anyone else in the game.

While this is true, shouldn't you be in a parking lot somewhere getting ready to watch FSU hang 90 on UF?

While this is true, shouldn't you be in a parking lot somewhere getting ready to watch FSU hang 90 on UF?

Yes, I should be...but some unfortunate family stuff came up and I couldnt go.  Had to stay in Orlando after Thanksgiving with the fam. 

Havent missed this game in a long time, guess if there was ever a year to miss it, this is the one.  haha

To back up T0m, you aren't going to succeed for very long nor often if you're game plan is to hope to get a great QB falling into your lap. Further you aren't winning anything ever if you totally neglect your offense on draft day and then try to hide it's suck with "The Wildcat", the option, wishbone, full house backfields.Above all in the NFL of 2013 NOBODY is winning anything unless they can pass effectively. Fearing throwing a pass. Wreck's stock and trade, is loser Pussyball.

This fallacy being perpetuated simply isn't true. Rex said he wants a vertical passing game then went out and hired a guy that passes as much as anyone as well as a heralded qb coach. Geno and the weaponz suck.

MM and Lee have about a combined 30 years more experience than freakin bevell. Have patience and watch what happens as phase 2 of the Idzik plan is implemented this off season.

OK serious question do you want to hire a head coach that has never been one before? 

no

its a leadership executive position.  "the decider"

harbaugh is perfect.  HC with NFL QB experience

any of those not named spurrier out there ?

This fallacy being perpetuated simply isn't true. Rex said he wants a vertical passing game then went out and hired a guy that passes as much as anyone as well as a heralded qb coach. Geno and the weaponz suck.

MM and Lee have about a combined 30 years more experience than freakin bevell. Have patience and watch what happens as phase 2 of the Idzik plan is implemented this off season.

Correction: Rex sald he wanted to be more aggressive on offense, then hired Tony Sparano.

Rex definitely shaped this roster, and all we need is a QB, RB, Linebackers, safeties, corners,

O lineman(plural) receivers, and a few good coaches.  Probably take 2 off seasons to get it done

right, but if we have a good young team in 2 years, I'll take it.

When is this board going to realize it's all about the QB?

It doesnt matter who the **** the Head Coach is when you continually roll out the worst QB in the league.

When Rex is fired, the next Head Coach is going to be completely dependent on Idzik's ability to find a franchise QB.  If Idzik fails, they'll fail with him. 

The Jets currently have a Head Coach who finds ways to win despite his QB.  I'd personally like to see how good he could be with one but if Idzik thinks that No Rex = franchise QB...then sign me up.  Unfortunately it doesnt and if the next HC cant win despite his QB like Rex does, then this is going to get a worse.

So cool, go get the next new shiny object...Bevell, Wisenhut, Sumlin...whoever...if a QB doesnt come with them, then nothing changes.

When is this board going to realize it's all about the QB?

It doesnt matter who the **** the Head Coach is when you continually roll out the worst QB in the league.

When Rex is fired, the next Head Coach is going to be completely dependent on Idzik's ability to find a franchise QB. If Idzik fails, they'll fail with him.

The Jets currently have a Head Coach who finds ways to win despite his QB. I'd personally like to see how good he could be with one but if Idzik thinks that No Rex = franchise QB...then sign me up. Unfortunately it doesnt and if the next HC cant win despite his QB like Rex does, then this is going to get a worse.

So cool, go get the next new shiny object...Bevell, Wisenhut, Sumlin...whoever...if a QB doesnt come with them, then nothing changes.

The Magic Vacuum QB Theory

Rex definitely shaped this roster, and all we need is a QB, RB, Linebackers, safeties, corners,

O lineman(plural) receivers, and a few good coaches.  Probably take 2 off seasons to get it done

right, but if we have a good young team in 2 years, I'll take it.

Yes...all Rex's fault that his former GM traded picks like he'd lose them if he didnt and handed out the most ridiculous contracts in the league. And its totally his fault the new GM just had an entire offseason to find 1 good player.

You're right.  This is all Rex.  

If the Jets do go and get an offensive minded head coach I just hope they hire a defensive coordinator with head coaching experience. One that is good and proven. Otherwise they will just have the same problems, but in reverse. 

Yes...all Rex's fault that his former GM traded picks like he'd lose them if he didnt and handed out the most ridiculous contracts in the league. And its totally his fault the new GM just had an entire offseason to find 1 good player.

You're right.  This is all Rex.  

What are you talking about? You dont think we had a good offseason? lol

If the Jets do go and get an offensive minded head coach I just hope they hire a defensive coordinator with head coaching experience. One that is good and proven. Otherwise they will just have the same problems, but in reverse. 

Luckily for the next DC, the foundation is there on defense to build on.  Its really just a revamped secondary away from being dominant. 

We need someone who can find a QB.  If that's the GM, great, the Head Coach doesnt matter.  If that's the HC, great, lets sign him, whoever that is.

Luckily for the next DC, the foundation is there on defense to build on.  Its really just a revamped secondary away from being dominant. 

We need someone who can find a QB.  If that's the GM, great, the Head Coach doesnt matter.  If that's the HC, great, lets sign him, whoever that is.

If they go and get the next Herm Edwards to run this defense it will completely suck, I dont care who is on it.

What are you talking about? You dont think we had a good offseason? lol

Trade your best player, get 8 picks and come away with only Sheldon Richardson.  That's not a good start for a team as depleted as the Jets.

Love Sheldon...but my god I hope next draft is better.  Much better.

Trade your best player, get 8 picks and come away with only Sheldon Richardson.  That's not a good start for a team as depleted as the Jets.

Love Sheldon...but my god I hope next draft is better.  Much better.

Oh I totally agree. That was one of the worst Jets offseasons in a very, very long time. I dont know why you go out and hire Idzik to begin with. What has he ever done? Rex and Tannebaum's resumes are better and everyone wants to run them out of town. Makes no sense.

Trade your best player, get 8 picks and come away with only Sheldon Richardson. That's not a good start for a team as depleted as the Jets.

Love Sheldon...but my god I hope next draft is better. Much better.

Yes. Every draft has sucked for five years. The Jets have had a unique power to scout and identify only subpar, uncoachable, irredeemable players. Nothing at all to do with their coaching. Nothing.

Haha - good point.

Has there ever been a scenario where a HC got demoted to a coordinator role and the team found a new HC?

Not that I know of. The problem is the potential for the DC to undermine the new head coach. Then again has there ever been a case of a GM being told who his HC is going to be?

Serious question...anyone here want to make the case for giving Rex another young quarterback? I'm dying to hear it.

If we keep Rex I want us to go out and get a veteran, starting-caliber QB.  Any young QB we draft should be 2nd on the depth chart unless he plays so well in camp/preseason that he's 100 % the best choice.

Yes. Every draft has sucked for five years. The Jets have had a unique power to scout and identify only subpar, uncoachable, irredeemable players. Nothing at all to do with their coaching. Nothing.

Who had a better first draft? Tannenbaum or Idzik?

Oh I totally agree. That was one of the worst Jets offseasons in a very, very long time. I dont know why you go out and hire Idzik to begin with. What has he ever done? Rex and Tannebaum's resumes are better and everyone wants to run them out of town. Makes no sense.

I get not being able to sign FA's...but the draft was a huge swing and a miss.  Terrible way to start your career.

You just keep pointing that finger at whoever fits your current agenda.

I get not being able to sign FA's...but the draft was a huge swing and a miss.  Terrible way to start your career.

I agree. I'm not buying the cap thing though either. Bradway and Tannenbaum had similar issues and never had as bad of offseasons as this one was.

The NC is responsible for a gameplan. The gameplans for the last several weeks and also vs. Pittsburgh have been to not throw at all and hope you luck into a TD or 2. Real NFL teams throw the ball. Joe Flacco is on record calling the Wildcat an embarrassment, and he's hardly the only on, merely the only one to say it out loud. Wrecks beleives HIS DEFENSE can win games almost by itself if the offense doesn't turn the ball over. THAT IS CRAP. And it's also unfair to the defense because you're asking them to bail you out and be almsot perfect.

Archived