u want to fire someone? FIRE IDZIK

Jetfan13

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the problem with this logic is that it assumes a different coach would have had Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith as super stars in the league. It's possible those guys just stink and it has nothing to do with Rex. I mean, cmon. It's Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith we are talking about here. Have you seen em play>? 

No. It means that a different coach might have given a single thought to offense and NOT letting quality guys walk away over a pittance. If Rex had kept Jones, Woodhead, Cotchery how much better would the offense have looked? Replacing Cotchery with Derrick Mason....really? Edwards with Plex? Please. And Jones walked and Shonn Greene and his yard and half per carry average took over. Damien Woody wanted one more year but Rex thought Wayne Hunter was the answer.

Glennon was a two-year starter who completed less than 60% of his passes his senior year and led the nation in interceptions to boot. If he works out, it's bad process/good result. I can live with passing on that.

He was playing with scrubs. From an eye test standpoint- I mean he was clearly the guy who looks the part. And Im not nearly down on Geno as others here. But Glennon was always a decent prospect. Much better than some of the clowns who have gone in the first round over the past 5 years or so.

Al - Idzik has nothing to do with the fact that we had 1 player or remnant from draft years 08, 09, and 10 on the field today  - Kyle Wilson who I couldn't wait to cut after this season but is looking pretty good compared to the rest of the sewage in the backfield.

Those draft years should have been the core of this years team but we have dickfist to show for them and that's not on Idzik. 

Richardson was the lone bright spot in the last draft which looks like mostly busts. Milliner, I would give one more year and see if he improves to somewhat serviceable, and Winters I think has upside. Geno is toast basically - I don't like his "I am confident in my ability" answers because I don't think the Jets PLAYERS have confidence in him. He seems to have taken the Sanchez answer book to the next level. Accountability is a fine quality in a QB but it loses something when the same mistakes they say they can't make continue to be made.

Would you really fire Idzik before Rex?

Idzik isn't getting fired after the season, Rex probably is.

If Idzik is actually making coaching decisions, like  who is going to start or, as has been suggested, he forced Rex to put Sanchez in during the Giants preseason game, then yes, he should be fired.

He won't be

Idzik didn't do enough at the QB position. Geno Smith was projected to be a first rounder, then he wasn't. A number of teams passed on him twice. The "no brainer" pick often isn't the smartest one. A lot of the criticism that Geno dealt with seems to be coming true. Despite a few early glowing reports, he's clearly succumbed to the pressure. They needed a legitimate backup plan at QB, too, not the black Brunnel. The team might still be in contention if they could've started with/or switched to a Jason Campbell type. A journeyman who actually played the last couple years.

But this was supposed to be a tear down season. Neither the GM nor the coach should be judged for what's going on with a roster they planned to be bad - even though they didn't plan on guys like Cro and Brick having their worst seasons.

No. It means that a different coach might have given a single thought to offense and NOT letting quality guys walk away over a pittance. If Rex had kept Jones, Woodhead, Cotchery how much better would the offense have looked? Replacing Cotchery with Derrick Mason....really? Edwards with Plex? Please. And Jones walked and Shonn Greene and his yard and half per carry average took over. Damien Woody wanted one more year but Rex thought Wayne Hunter was the answer.

these all sound like reasons to fire Mike Tannenbaum. 

The idea that Idzik is going to be fired after this year is utterly the craziest thing I've read on a Jets board in a long time. Imagine the reputation hit that the team would take if you fired him after one year....Look at this from a future GM's point of view. First of all, you didn't even let the guy pick his own scouting department. You knew it was a rebuild year and you didn't let the guy do his job. Secondly, you kept the head coach on staff now after firing two GM's. The HC, then, clearly calls the shots. The HC is a buffoon and you have no hope of garnering any sort of influence. You're simply a figurehead. If you fire Idzik this year and not Rex, then why not just promote Rex himself to GM? Who the hell else would take the job?

Idzik didn't do enough at the QB position. Geno Smith was projected to be a first rounder, then he wasn't. A number of teams passed on him twice. The "no brainer" pick often isn't the smartest one. A lot of the criticism that Geno dealt with seems to be coming true. Despite a few early glowing reports, he's clearly succumbed to the pressure. They needed a legitimate backup plan at QB, too, not the black Brunnel. The team might still be in contention if they could've started with/or switched to a Jason Campbell type. A journeyman who actually played the last couple years.

But this was supposed to be a tear down season. Neither the GM nor the coach should be judged for what's going on with a roster they planned to be bad - even though they didn't plan on guys like Cro and Brick having their worst seasons.

Agree about Geno mostly, but his line is terrible. It really is. They swapped Simms for Geno and the kid still got sacked like 5 times in two quarters. 

Its hard to say unless you know who is calling the shot with the draft, etc. But still, as much as I feel like the Jets got another dollar store GM in Idzik, I do think he deserves a few years at this point. History may prove that Woody should have kept Tannenbaum and fired Rex, or fired them both at the same time. One thing is for sure, 2013 was the dumbest idea ever. 

Its hard to say unless you know who is calling the shot with the draft, etc. But still, as much as I feel like the Jets got another dollar store GM in Idzik, I do think he deserves a few years at this point. History may prove that Woody should have kept Tannenbaum and fired Rex, or fired them both at the same time. One thing is for sure, 2013 was the dumbest idea ever. 

I think history will absolutely prove that Woody should have kept Tannenbaum.

The Sanchez extension alone should have earned him another five years or so.

Again, those are group decisions. Tannenbaum as the scapegoat is pretty convenient and easy. I guess you will tell me next it was tannenbaum that wanted Holmes and wanted to waste half the offseason trying to get Aso? I dont want to relive it - time will tell. 

Again, those are group decisions. Tannenbaum as the scapegoat is pretty convenient and easy. I guess you will tell me next it was tannenbaum that wanted Holmes and wanted to waste half the offseason trying to get Aso? I dont want to relive it - time will tell. 

There is some truth to this. That book that just came out revealed the Scotty McKnight pick was 100% Rex Ryan's decision.

There is some truth to this. That book that just came out revealed the Scotty McKnight pick was 100% Rex Ryan's decision.

Two rediculous seasons in a row of drafts and free agents. Who is the common denominator? The last time the Jets drafted and signed players well who wasnt here? It doesnt take a scientist to figure out who the moron is.

Two rediculous seasons in a row of drafts and free agents. Who is the common denominator? The last time the Jets drafted and signed players well who wasnt here? It doesnt take a scientist to figure out who the moron is.

Rex had his guys who he generally got...and Tannenbaum couldnt pick a football player if his life depended on it. 

You cant win without a QB and the Jets dont have a QB.

It's really that simple. 

It's amazing they have 5 wins with the production they've got from the position. 

I'm not sure what your point is here. I want Rex fired, too.

You cant win without a QB and the Jets dont have a QB.

It's really that simple. 

It's amazing they have 5 wins with the production they've got from the position. 

In their wins they had decent production. out of Geno besides the Saints game. Scheme only can take you so far....the Jets just dont have any good players on offense. 

I'm not sure what your point is here. I want Rex fired, too.

Is it really as difficult as the Jets make it to find quality football people and quality football players....or is the NFL really just a constant back and forth of recycled legacies? I mean hell.

if the whole draft stinks and Sheldon is an all pro DT it was still a good draft. People expect every pick to be awesome that only happens in the 1970's steelers teams.

Firing Idzik is not a smart move at this stage firing Rex along with his entire staff is the move to make. I would like to see them retain MM but if the new coach wants to go in a different direction then so be it.

If you have watched the Steelers throughout the years they usually develop rookies behind veterans unless they have an immediate need and the rookie is capable. How many times have they sent a vet packing only to have some young player they have been developing step in and tear it up.

The Difference between the Jets and the Steelers is development and coaching. The Jets have NOT had a real coaching staff in here since Parcells left and they didn't have one prior to him coming here.

Putting Development aside this team also lacks discipline and that falls on the coaching staff as well. This team needs a coaching staff that will hold them accountable and will not gush all over them like Rex does. A great coach ALWAYS demands more from his players to keep them sharp.

Rex always starts talking about playing like a JET WTF is playing like a Jet exactly ?? maybe he should start coaching like a Steeler and make a name for the Jets so he can actually have something to back up his stupid statements. Play like a Jet my ass ....

The bottom line is that there is no reason to believe that the Jets under Rex will ever be able to find a QB or draft a competent offense. Thats why he needs to go. 

Tannenbaum seemed to take a strange pride in managing to pay the top free agent the most money, so it wouldn't surprise me no matter where the original idea may've come from. The GM is supposed to have certain responsibilities, and it seems like most of the reasons that people want to fire Rex come under that header. The current roster is the worst possible combination of Tannenbaum's incompetence and Idzik's early efforts to clear the books.

Next year is when we can really start to judge Idzik, though. The freedom to dump (or sharply reduce) contracts like Sanchez, Homes, Cro, and Harris, leaving him with lots of picks and cash to work with to really improve the roster.

Rex had his guys who he generally got...and Tannenbaum couldnt pick a football player if his life depended on it. 

You dont have to be able to pick a football player to be a good GM. You have to be able to manage the different departments within the organization. It really is a team effort. The team worked better pre Rex. That is really the bottom line. Tannenbaum was here then, and Rex wasnt. Tannenbaum is not here and its the same old crap. Guess who is here? Rex. Woody said he felt bad for Rex, thats why he didnt fire him. We have an owner who doesnt base his decisions on performance, he bases them on emotion and selling seats.

You dont have to be able to pick a football player to be a good GM. You have to be able to manage the different departments within the organization. It really is a team effort. The team worked better pre Rex. That is really the bottom line. Tannenbaum was here then, and Rex wasnt. Tannenbaum is not here and its the same old crap. Guess who is here? Rex. Woody said he felt bad for Rex, thats why he didnt fire him. We have an owner who doesnt base his decisions on performance, he bases them on emotion and selling seats.

You need a GM who has authority over the coach when it comes to picking football players if your HC is Rex Ryan. Tannenbaum couldnt and Rex knew it- so generally Rex got it way(and when he didnt, he made sure to let everyone know about it e.g. Hill) The Jets have struggled to score touchdowns the past two years and its been a combination of the two.

Woody obviously is the main culprit here- he doesnt know how to hire.

Tannenbaum seemed to take a strange pride in managing to pay the top free agent the most money, so it wouldn't surprise me no matter where the original idea may've come from. The GM is supposed to have certain responsibilities, and it seems like most of the reasons that people want to fire Rex come under that header. The current roster is the worst possible combination of Tannenbaum's incompetence and Idzik's early efforts to clear the books.

Next year is when we can really start to judge Idzik, though. The freedom to dump (or sharply reduce) contracts like Sanchez, Homes, Cro, and Harris, leaving him with lots of picks and cash to work with to really improve the roster.

Why does Idzik get a pass for his awful first draft and terrible FA moves bungling the QB position again. 

Woody said he felt bad for Rex, thats why he didnt fire him. We have an owner who doesnt base his decisions on performance, he bases them on emotion and selling seats.

don't believe that BS. Rex had money guaranteed his way (multiple millions) and Woody wouldn't fire Rex and then pay him to give CBS color commentary with JB and Dan.  Feelings had nothing to do with it. 

Is it really as difficult as the Jets make it to find quality football people and quality football players....or is the NFL really just a constant back and forth of recycled legacies? I mean hell.

I literally cannot envision a scenario in which the Jets have a smart GM, a creative coach, and a functional passing offense. Even as a fantasy, I can't conjure it.

You need a GM who has authority over the coach when it comes to picking football players if your HC is Rex Ryan. Tannenbaum couldnt and Rex knew it- so generally Rex got it way(and when he didnt, he made sure to let everyone know about it e.g. Hill) The Jets have struggled to score touchdowns the past two years and its been a combination of the two.

Woody obviously is the main culprit here- he doesnt know how to hire.

We agree. Rex and Tannenbaum were the worst possible combination. Neither could evaluate personal. If you have a regular coach who could evaluate players outside of the defensive line, it could have worked with Tannenbaum. That is really my only point. 

The bottom line is that there is no reason to believe that the Jets under Rex will ever be able to find a QB or draft a competent offense. Thats why he needs to go.

Idzik's in charge of the draft, and the Jets hired a couple decent offensive coaches this year in Mornhinweg and Lee. If those guys are competent, there's really no reason to believe they can't.

Archived