Why Rex Ryan Cannot Coach The Jets Next Year

JetNation

If it were up to Bit we'd be paying Darrelle Revis $16.1 million. 

also untrue if it was up to me he'd be playing out the last year of his contract. btw Revis couldn't hold out this year, that contract had language in it that another hold out created a multi year cheap extension. 

what a great trade that was by the way the Jets pass defense goes to crap, dee milliner is worthless and the Jets will have 60 million dollars in cap space next year after they cut Cro, Holmes, Sanchez etc.  they didn't need to trade Revis

and by the way that's not an Idzik decision that's a woody decision. 

I could ask the same of you. What are your qualifications tough guy? 

I am not making claims of "busts" in the draft and players.

Odd, how you supported players who many others were considering giant busts in the past and said "give them the appropriate team, it takes x years to develop players", yet in this draft you flat out call every one but 1 player a bust.

You come off as king of the hypocrites.

nope. what I said was Rex Ryan's resume as a HC is better than John Idzik's as a GM.  and instead of addressing that statement he made it personal

What an absurd point.  Idzik is cleaning up after the mess Tannenbaum (and at least partly Rex) made.  You're all about giving people like Dewayne Robertson and Vernon Gholston a chance but make up your mind very quickly on people who don't fit your agenda.

I am not making claims of "busts" in the draft and players.

Odd, how you supported players who many others were considering giant busts in the past and said "give them the appropriate team, it takes x years to develop players", yet in this draft you flat out call every one but 1 player a bust.

You come off as king of the hypocrites.

you are making claims that you know who should be the head coach of the Jets who made you an NFL general manager? using your logic only people employed by the NFL are qualified to express opinions about the Jets. 

you are making claims that you know who should be the head coach of the Jets who made you an NFL general manager? using your logic only people employed by the NFL are qualified to express opinions about the Jets. 

Now who's making it personal.  How about addressing the point? 

What an absurd point.  Idzik is cleaning up after the mess Tannenbaum and Rex made.  You're all about giving people like Dewayne Robertson and Vernon Gholston a chance but make up your mind very quickly on people who don't fit your agenda.

My agenda is I like to see the Jets win games. Firing Rex (and replacing him with mystery HC) doesn't mesh with that agenda

My agenda is I like to see the Jets win games. Firing Rex (and replacing him with mystery HC) doesn't mesh with that agenda

1.  No, it's really not.  Your agenda is to be right, or at least stubbornly defend an illogical point to the death.  Don't try to be all "noble" here.

2.  Every HC in the history of the NFL has been a "mystery".  By your logic, no team should hire a new HC because...OH NOES HE COULD BE WORSE!

the Jets have to get worse before they get better. It's the 10 year rebuilding plan.

Not necessarily, they may find a better coach.

Do you really think Rez is THAT good that nobody we could possibly find might be better?

Don't you think that is crazy?

Guys with far better accomplishments than Rex have been fired and replaced with guys who did better.

Do you really think Rez is THAT good that nobody we could possibly find might be better?

Guys with far better accomplishments than Rex have been fired and replaced with guys who did better.

Bit is the same guy who once argued that, since the Jets were the # 1 pass defense with Eric Smith at safety, that Eric Smith can't possibly be a bad player.

You're not going to make any headway here, I'm sorry to say. 

Now who's making it personal.  How about addressing the point? 

I've learned alot in 10 years since Drob. I was a much younger, dumber fan back then.

I have learned that rooting for a player doesn't change this player's career. We can root for Geno Smith to become magically awesome or we could use our eyes.

also untrue if it was up to me he'd be playing out the last year of his contract. btw Revis couldn't hold out this year, that contract had language in it that another hold out created a multi year cheap extension. 

what a great trade that was by the way the Jets pass defense goes to crap, dee milliner is worthless and the Jets will have 60 million dollars in cap space next year after they cut Cro, Holmes, Sanchez etc.  they didn't need to trade Revis

and by the way that's not an Idzik decision that's a woody decision. 

So we'd end up with no Sheldon Richardson and no extra 3rd rounder in 2014, and then either be ponying up huge money to Revis OR letting him go for a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2015.

Great plan.

Jets fans need to be honest with ourselves about what this team is. It's not an original NFL franchise like the Giants. There's no great prestige that comes with being the head coach of the Jets. The roster is a tire fire. The media is a nightmare. The owner does dumb things like sign Tim Tebow and trade Revis. the GM overrules the HC on QB decisions. NY/NJ has some of the highest tax rates in the nation. 

instead of looking at this like a Jets fan who wants a better coach for his team, look at this like you were a better head coach than Rex Ryan. Why would YOU want this job? 

So we'd end up with no Sheldon Richardson and no extra 3rd rounder in 2014, and then either be ponying up huge money to Revis OR letting him go for a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2015.

Great plan.

if they don't trade Revis they don't draft Dee. they draft Sheldon at 9. And this big money he's going to get is what a HOF player is worth. It's better to pay Revis 15 than it is to pay Cro 10.  We are seeing that right now.

if they don't trade Revis they don't draft Dee. they draft Sheldon at 9. And this big money he's going to get is what a HOF player is worth. It's better to pay Revis 15 than it is to pay Cro 10.  We are seeing that right now.

Says who?  No corner has ever been worth that kind of coin.  I don't support the 15 mil to Revis OR the 10 mil to Cro.  Revis hasn't been able to make any significant impact for the Bucs.  He really hasn't been the same player since that great '09 season anyways.

Says who?  No corner has ever been worth that kind of coin.  I don't support the 15 mil to Revis OR the 10 mil to Cro.  Revis hasn't been able to make any significant impact for the Bucs.  He really hasn't been the same player since that great '09 season anyways.

the Jets are going to have 60 million dollars in cap space next year on a 120+ mil cap.  they have to pay someone.  they chose wrong.

I don't get all this "Rex is a great coach, but he cannot coach offense" stuff.  The fact is, while he is a capable defensive coordinator/coach, he is a terrible HEAD COACH. Being the HC is as much a management position as it is a coaching position, and Rex simply has not shown any ability in that area.  Management is getting results from the action and effort of other people.  I would argue that Rex has done a poor job of assembling and managing his coaching staff.  

He is much more of a "doer" than a "thinker" and competent manager --  that is where he really falls short.   I am not saying he cannot be hands-on with the defense, but the problem is that is all he seems to do witnessed by the weak and unqualified Dennis Thurman holding the title of Defensive Coordinator.  So, instead of managing his coaching staff and, by proxy, the team, Rex is a glorified DC.  He does not need to be a hands-on offensive wiz kid, he needs to be a competent manager of his offensive coaching staff and personnel.

The root cause of his failure goes much deeper than not having an offensive mindset.  It  is because he is an incompetent COO.

Rex is a defensive coordinator.  That is all he does.  That and say foolish things at pressers, like all of his rookies get an A+, or guaranteeing a super bowl. Head coaches have to coach everything. In game and beyond. Rex obsessing on his D on game day is a bad formula for head coaching. I don't even like them calling plays or defenses, to be honest.

Archived