Excuses for bringing Rex back...

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure that Rex has made personnel mistakes, but its primarily on Tannenbaum. You're the GM, that's your job.

FWIW, Tannenbaum was fine for the most part, it's really just the Sanchez extension that kills you. But the roster collapse was always going to happen with Tannenbaum. He was overly aggressive and that's a fine thing to be because as you can see, we made 2 deep playoff runs that way. But you're always going to have to pay for that with lean years.

Really, you're putting that on the coaches? You don't see how Tannenbaum's strategy inevitably leads to down years? You don't see how it trades sustainability for immediate impact?

Exactly.  Tanny tried too hard to pursue short-term goals eventually bit him in the ass.  Still not confident Idzik has the right team in place to draft better but that's the part that needs the most work.

Exactly. Tanny tried too hard to pursue short-term goals eventually bit him in the ass. Still not confident Idzik has the right team in place to draft better but that's the part that needs the most work.

Neither of you have a clue about how things operated with Tanny as GM.

GM looks at the long-term picture...HC wants to win today...you saying the Tanny got worse at securing talent with Rex as HC?  Is that on Rex or was Mangini the brains behind the curtain?  

IMO...the scouts and the staff who have led the NFL drafts have sukked donkey balls for the last decade...at least since Bradway arrived...decent pro player department led to picking up some decent spare pieces...but eventually the squandering of picks led to the team's demise...only built for short term = narrow window = hole we are in.

I'm not a Rex-apologist but it's obvious to me that talent drop off falls on Tanny.

Easy to blame it all on the guy who isn't here and make excuses for Rex's failures. 

C'mon now.  Let's try to keep this real.  They gave Rex a top 5 pick at QB.  

Do I have to remind you how ridiculous the development of Sanchez was?  In a word is was pathetic.

Remember the color coded system?  Geez.  

The guy was a rookie head coach and they drafted him a QB in the first 5 picks of the draft.  That QB washed out...for many reasons (let's not go backwards).

They also drafted him a ton of defensive talent in the first round.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it is in Rex that people are so in love with?

Let's see, on his watch we've had:

• a team mutiny that he was unaware of (Holmes in Miami);
  • a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 3 consecutive years;
  • a team that has gone 6-17 on the road the last 3 seasons;
  • a team that has won the game following a victory 6 times in 3 seasons;
  • a team that has been blown out (losing by 17 or more points) 13 times in three years...that's 27% of the games played the last three years, an average of 4.5 games a year.

I understand it will be nearly impossible to replace that...but I'm willing to give it a try.

Put another way what level of ineptitude do we need to reach as a franchise to warrant a change since what Rex has been doing the last three years qualifies as good enough...or even to some exceeding expectations?  What exactly does he have to do to go?

Truthfully...there are a lot of people out there that can deliver the type of results he's delivered over the past three years.  We deserve better.

Anyone on this board believe John Harbaugh was going to do as well as he did when he was hired after being the special teams coordinator in Philly?  Or how about Tomlin?

We can do better...or we can put our head in the sand.

By this logic, you'd have expected Rex to succeed with Ryan Leaf as well...no?

Easy to blame it all on the guy who isn't here and make excuses for Rex's failures. 

So you think Mangini was the brains behind the curtain?  Is that an indictment of Tanny or Rex?  

Plenty of failures to pin on Rex...just look at the OP.  I can add more:

W-L record after bye weeks.

Red, yellow, green light offense comes straight off the high school field.

Bravado galore when the team sucks.

But to lay the blame for the talent drop off seems a bit much or was Rex the de facto GM as well?

C'mon now.  Let's try to keep this real.  They gave Rex a top 5 pick at QB.  

Do I have to remind you how ridiculous the development of Sanchez was?  In a word is was pathetic.

Remember the color coded system?  Geez.  

The guy was a rookie head coach and they drafted him a QB in the first 5 picks of the draft.  That QB washed out...for many reasons (let's not go backwards).

They also drafted him a ton of defensive talent in the first round.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it is in Rex that people are so in love with?

Let's see, on his watch we've had:

• a team mutiny that he was unaware of (Holmes in Miami);
  • a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 3 consecutive years;
  • a team that has gone 6-17 on the road the last 3 seasons;
  • a team that has won the game following a victory 6 times in 3 seasons;
  • a team that has been blown out (losing by 17 or more points) 13 times in three years...that's 27% of the games played the last three years, an average of 4.5 games a year.

I understand it will be nearly impossible to replace that...but I'm willing to give it a try.

Put another way what level of ineptitude do we need to reach as a franchise to warrant a change since what Rex has been doing the last three years qualifies as good enough...or even to some exceeding expectations?  What exactly does he have to do to go?

Truthfully...there are a lot of people out there that can deliver the type of results he's delivered over the past three years.  We deserve better.

Anyone on this board believe John Harbaugh was going to do as well as he did when he was hired after being the special teams coordinator in Philly?  Or how about Tomlin?

We can do better...or we can put our head in the sand.

Must of missed this post when I originally responded.   Solid points on why Rex should get the boot.  In many ways I agree though the Harbaugh and Tomlin examples fall short.  The bigger factor in both coaches success is the stability of each organization.  Both teams draft exceptionally well and both tailor their drafts and player acquisition to complement the strengths of their established traditions.  Unfortunately, the Jets have not had the same stability and tradition.  About the only pattern I can detect is the churning of the coaches and front office every few years.  

So you think Mangini was the brains behind the curtain?  Is that an indictment of Tanny or Rex?  

Plenty of failures to pin on Rex...just look at the OP.  I can add more:

W-L record after bye weeks.

Red, yellow, green light offense comes straight off the high school field.

Bravado galore when the team sucks.

But to lay the blame for the talent drop off seems a bit much or was Rex the de facto GM as well?

He had huge input in player acquisition and he has no idea what he's doing when it comes to drafting and offensive players. 

Fact. At least it's been reported everywhere that he did. Why are you so quick to make excuses for him?

You mean the same media that was hell bent on running him out of town in August?  Very unbiased opinion there.  Please link the reporters who influenced your opinion.

Zero excuses here just realize the decision comes down to what Idzik and Woody think not the arguments of a biased media hell bent on speculation to drive traffic.

You mean the same media that was hell bent on running him out of town in August?  Very unbiased opinion there.  Please link the reporters who influenced your opinion.

Zero excuses here just realize the decision comes down to what Idzik and Woody think not the arguments of a biased media hell bent on speculation to drive traffic.

The media has always been behind Rex. I'm not sure what you're talking about. 

So you're okay with this putrid offense, but have a problem with a play on words mocking the HC. Got it.

I'm as unhappy with the offense as anyone else. I just see your endlessly repeated "joke" as just as bad. At least.

Matt Millen agrees.

Neither did John Fox.

Very true, but his hand was forced and the team wound up going from a 4-12 type of season into an 8-8 playoff winner.   

Ryan stuck with Sanchez all year long and wound up 6-10.    Fox isn't a great coach, but by and far, he sure showed that he could outcoach Rex.

Hell Tebow and Fox beat Rex and Sanchez.

Very true, but his hand was forced and the team wound up going from a 4-12 type of season into an 8-8 playoff winner.   

Ryan stuck with Sanchez all year long and wound up 6-10.    Fox isn't a great coach, but by and far, he sure showed that he could outcoach Rex.

Blech.

That game was a loss when it was scheduled. The Jets played Sunday night and had to travel to Denver for a Thursday game? First time I've ever seen that. Hopefully the last. That was ridiculous.

Tons of holes in your argument.  

#1 -- Denvers defense and an extremely weak division had a lot to do with that season.  This Jets team very well may go 8-8 (and bare in mind that Denver backed into the playoffs, I believe losing 3 of their last 4?) and that could have won that division.

#2 -- Your argument seems to be that Fox and Tebow > Rex and Sanchez.  Perhaps.  But having lived in NC my entire life, ask Panthers fans just how great they think John Fox is without Peyton Manning.

#3 -- I may be incorrect but I seem to remember us playing a late game Sunday before traveling to Denver for a Thursday night game.  I'm not going to look up the stats as they've been beaten to death, but east coast teams traveling like that don't win regardless of the HC and QB.

Blech.

That game was a loss when it was scheduled. The Jets played Sunday night and had to travel to Denver for a Thursday game? First time I've ever seen that. Hopefully the last. That was ridiculous.

That's what I remembered, yeah.

Archived