Winning 'Run for Reggie' may not pay off

TaborJet

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TX-I will throw this one right in your face-Why did Chad Pennington get so many marketing opportunities? Because he is a great qb? :mrgreen:

Dierk,

What friggn' marketing opportunities has PennyBoy ever received?

The only one I can recall is where he throws an INT to the Pepsi machine. :wink:

Of course the ideal situation would be to have your client playing in New York, that is the ideal situation and I am not argueing that point.

So you are saying that Nike would go to Bush and say, "Well Reggie, since you are only playing in New Orleans we can only of you $1 million instead of $5 million if you were playing in New York".

That scenario would never happen with an NFL superstar.

That's the debate, not New York versus New Orleans.

TX-YOU said marketing athletes was the same as marketing widgets, not me. YOU said it did not matter where they played, the NFL would pump them.

I will grant you some athlete transcend market,(Peyton, Lebron, etc). But for most athletes, NY is teh prefereable vehicle for $$.

That is elemetary.

Bush may very well be one of those athletes that transcends, I don't know.

WHich QB had more hype-Eli Manning or Philip Rivers?

Reggie Bush is going to be playing in the NFL, key word: National. It doesn't matter where he plays, because the entire nation will see him play. He will be on NATIONAL t.v. His endorsements will be the same wherever, because EVERYBODY is going to, if they don't already, know who Reggie Bush is. Whether he is a New Orleans Saint, or a Green Bay Packer, 49er, or Jet. It doesn't matter because everybody in the world will have the oppurtunity to see him play. Just my opinion...

Reggie Bush is going to be playing in the NFL, key word: National. It doesn't matter where he plays, because the entire nation will see him play. He will be on NATIONAL t.v. His endorsements will be the same wherever, because EVERYBODY is going to, if they don't already, know who Reggie Bush is. Whether he is a New Orleans Saint, or a Green Bay Packer, 49er, or Jet. It doesn't matter because everybody in the world will have the oppurtunity to see him play. Just my opinion...

You think that NO gets the same viewers as NY. Oh brother :^o

Dierk,

What friggn' marketing opportunities has PennyBoy ever received?

The only one I can recall is where he throws an INT to the Pepsi machine. :wink:

Perfect examples....

Chad and Eli throwing the ball across the river to each other. That was a commercial not too long ago.

And I think Chad is on some billboards in NYC.

And Chad was on a commercial for NFL logo hats too, and an ESPN commercial in 2003.

TX-Final question-and then I will have proven this point-

Answer this honestly-Say you were Paul Tagliabue and you had the ability to place Reggie Bush in either NO or NY-What city would you choose based on what is best for the NFL and its marketing.

Again, this is hypothetical and I am looking for a truthful answer.

You think that NO gets the same viewers as NY. Oh brother :^o

It isn't just New Orleans that watches Saints games, or New York that watches Jets games. Sunday Night football, MNF, it doesn't matter. I saw a lot of Jets games this year even though I live in Sacramento. You aren't forced to just watch your local team.

It isn't just New Orleans that watches Saints games, or New York that watches Jets games. Sunday Night football, MNF, it doesn't matter. I saw a lot of Jets games this year even though I live in Sacramento. You aren't forced to just watch your local team.

Look at NFL Nielsen numbers. When NY teams are in contention, NFL numbers are higher. That is known.

Higher Nielsen numbers mean more money for teh NFL going into teh next negotiations.

Why do you think it was imperative that the NY Titans drafted and signed Joe Namath.

The same concept is at work here, but in a much more diluted sense.

The NFL would prefer, given their druthers, to have large market teams do well. It sells the sport much better.

I am not talking about us hardcore fans, who will watch anything, but the fringe fans-That is what the NFL is trying to grab

TX-Final question-and then I will have proven this point-

Answer this honestly-Say you were Paul Tagliabue and you had the ability to place Reggie Bush in either NO or NY-What city would you choose based on what is best for the NFL and its marketing.

Again, this is hypothetical and I am looking for a truthful answer.

Dierk, did you just skip over my previous posts? :shock:

Of course if he could pick and choose, it would be New York. That is a no brainer.

My point in this entire thread is that Reggie Bush will have the same national endorsement opportunites playing in East Bumfu*k as he would have playing in New York.

And barton, I'm not talking about some dumbass, goofey billboard opportunities.

OK

But this arguement does have to do with higher marketing potential.

What I am saying is Bush would earn millions more playing in New York than for New Orleans.

If you think we're arguing about Bush's marketing potential (yes we are), that goes hand in hand with New York having higher marketing potential than New Orleans.

Bush's marketing potential in New York > Bush's marketing potential in New Orleans

And, that's where you're wrong. With someone the hype of Reggie Bush, their marketing potential exceeds boundries, such as where they play. Example, Lebron James. Here, let me lay it out for you.

Reggie Bush > New York > New Orleans.

Do you get it now? How bout this?

Reggie Bush with Nike >>>>>>> New York > New Orleans.

Do you get it?

Oh, and SD, if you think people aren't going to tune into a game, not to see Reggie Bush, just to see what the hype is all about, you're kidding yourself. Example, Lebron James in high school.

Of course if he could pick and choose, it would be New York. That is a no brainer.

My point in this entire thread is that Reggie Bush will have the same national endorsement opportunites playing in East Bumfu*k as he would have playing in New York.

TX thanks. I am glad that you have backed off that premise.

Regarding Bush, maybe he is one that transcends market, that has yet to be determined.

Thanks.

OK fine tx. But answer this.

Is Bush more likely to be:

1. On the cover of sports illustrated

2. The cover of madden

3. The lone nfl representative for major sports memorabilia companys (Topps, Upperdeck etc etc)

4. Doing mainstream commercials for companys such as Gatorade

Playing in New York or New Orleans???

OK fine tx. But answer this.

Is Bush more likely to be:

1. On the cover of sports illustrated

2. The cover of madden

3. The lone nfl representative for major sports memorabilia companys (Topps, Upperdeck etc etc)

4. Doing mainstream commercials for companys such as Gatorade

Playing in New York or New Orleans???

barton, for the friggn' FINAL time:

If Reggie Bush is a bonafide superstar in the NFL, he will have the exact same opportunites as you mention above ANYWHERE THAT HE PLAYS.

And, that's where you're wrong. With someone the hype of Reggie Bush, their marketing potential exceeds boundries, such as where they play. Example, Lebron James. Here, let me lay it out for you.

Reggie Bush > New York > New Orleans.

Do you get it now? How bout this?

Reggie Bush with Nike >>>>>>> New York > New Orleans.

Do you get it?

Oh, and SD, if you think people aren't going to tune into a game, not to see Reggie Bush, just to see what the hype is all about, you're kidding yourself. Example, Lebron James in high school.

New Orleans is in their own world right now. Reggie Bush isnt gonna repair homes, pave streets and build local businesses. Bush in New Orleans would be less beneficial to his career, just ask his marketing advisor!

Thats what I am saying, New Orleans is screwed as a football franchise, they are going to horrible for a very long time.

TX-Say theNy Jets and the New Orleans Saint both finish 9-7 (I know pipedream).

Guess which team will get MORE National TV games scheduled thenext year?

Think that has anything to do with the exposure an athlete gets?

Not really, it's all about TV ratings which team gets more nationally televised games.

Exposure of a marketable athlete goes well beyond the number of nationally televised games he plays in.

storm made a great point earlier about sportscenter, NFL network, etc.

I was just gonna bring up Alexanders name, Scott.

Thats a great example.

Tx, dont you think Tomlinson should have made the probowl in 2003 with these numbers?

1645yards 5.2ypc 13tds

Except, Tomlinson didnt make the probowl that year.

If he put up those numbers in New York he would have made the probowl.

Put Anquan Boldin in NY, hes a superstar.

Yeah, but that's not even a valid comparison. Neither is Shaun Alexander. You guys are totally missing the point. Reggie Bush = Lebron James. Do you get it yet? Anywhere they play, they're going to be gods. They have unbelievable hype. Everyone is going to go to them. It doesn't matter where they play. They're special. They don't need a place to market them. They're already marketed. Everyone is going to go to them.

Agreed to a point. But come on, Bush in NY compared to say New Orleans or Arizona is night and day.

You feel Jeter's overrated correct? You think he's overrated because he plays in NY. Everythings overrated in NY because of the hype. See where Im trying to go with this?

Marketing-does Tiki Barber get to be Tiki Barber, omnimedia star, if he plays for the Saints? Don't think so. The Jets have 1/10th of the country population-wise in a 50-mile radius of Times Square. While Bush will get national deals, the people who make marketing and network decsions live and work within that 50-mile radius. Bush will get the low-hanging national fruit regardless. But with the Jets, he can become Tiki Barber or something like him if he wants more easily in NYC. Long-term NYC is a better deal than anyplace else.

I couldn't pick Deuce Mcallister out of a lineup. I cannot turn on a radio ro Tv without hearing or seeing Tiki Barber.

Archived