Assistant coaches

NCJETSFAN

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Dunbar likes working with Rex, and likes working with the talent he has with the Jets, and has confidence in himself, there's no reason not for him to accept a one year extension. He'll be in the same boat as Rex next year, and if the front office brings in talent, it'll be a good boat to be in. The team, defense, and DL should all have a good year. Either they'll make their money with the Jets in 2015, or they'll make it somewhere else.

As fans, we like to think these players,and coaches, have loyalty to a franchise.  In all honesty, particularly position coaches who don't make millions, have to think of their futures, and families.  

Things change very quickly in the NFL.  Remember the "Mangenious"  The "Sanchise"  every one loved "Trader Mike" in 2010.  If the Jets excel in 2014  it's a good boat to be in.  If Smith has 25 turn overs, and the DL is hit with massive injuries, the Jets are in the Winston sweepstakes, not so much.

I think it is a very real possibility if these contracts aren't resolved quickly, Dunbar will do the smart thing.  Liking Rex, self confidence or not, He'll  Take the money and run. 

As fans, we like to think these players,and coaches, have loyalty to a franchise.  In all honesty, particularly position coaches who don't make millions, have to think of their futures, and families.  

Things change very quickly in the NFL.  Remember the "Mangenious"  The "Sanchise"  every one loved "Trader Mike" in 2010.  If the Jets excel in 2014  it's a good boat to be in.  If Smith has 25 turn overs, and the DL is hit with massive injuries, the Jets are in the Winston sweepstakes, not so much.

I think it is a very real possibility if these contracts aren't resolved quickly, Dunbar will do the smart thing.  Liking Rex, self confidence or not, He'll  Take the money and run.

"Liking" is down the list. Top of the list would be his confidence in himself and the talent he has to work with here. If he feels that he can and will have a big year next year, all things considered, then he thinks he'll make his money. It's really not like Dunbar is ever gonna be on the outside looking in unless he wants to be.

If Dunbar leaves, it's Idzik's fault. These guys want stability, the same way any of us would. You either extend the head coach, or you don't. You don't play the "coaching for your job," game every year.

yeah, the more I think about this the worse it feels

what is idziks endgame ?  make rex quit after his staff gets treated like poop ?   if the great and powerful bevell can sign a 1 year extension, I'm sure dunbar could

does he really want someone else as HC ?    maybe woody forced rex on him again ?

just so stupid

yeah, the more I think about this the worse it feels

what is idziks endgame ? make rex quit after his staff gets treated like poop ? if the great and powerful bevell can sign a 1 year extension, I'm sure dunbar could

does he really want someone else as HC ? maybe woody forced rex on him again ?

just so stupid

Systemic dysfunction

"Liking" is down the list. Top of the list would be his confidence in himself and the talent he has to work with here. If he feels that he can and will have a big year next year, all things considered, then he thinks he'll make his money. It's really not like Dunbar is ever gonna be on the outside looking in unless he wants to be.

Slats I'm not really disagreeing with you on your general concept of what is going on, but you have to admit it all depends on what Dunbar thinks of the FO's intentions.  Not only  about his self confidence, but his confidence in Idzik.   We don't know that.  A lot of what is going to happen is out of his control.

If Dunbar thinks Idzik is strictly a bean counter, he would be wise to move on.  This haggling MAY  convince him to move on.  Of course I don't know that for a fact.

The Jets made a big show out of showing support for Rex, but as yet there is no contract forth coming.  As a fan, I don't like that.

If you have confidence in the guy.  PAY HIM.   You can still fire him next year if he screws up. 

I don't want the team to lose good players, or coaches over, by NFL standards, chump change.

Slats I'm not really disagreeing with you on your general concept of what is going on, but you have to admit it all depends on what Dunbar thinks of the FO's intentions. Not only about his self confidence, but his confidence in Idzik. We don't know that. A lot of what is going to happen is out of his control.

If Dunbar thinks Idzik is strictly a bean counter, he would be wise to move on. This haggling MAY convince him to move on. Of course I don't know that for a fact.

The Jets made a big show out of showing support for Rex, but as yet there is no contract forth coming. As a fan, I don't like that.

If you have confidence in the guy. PAY HIM. You can still fire him next year if he screws up.

I don't want the team to lose good players, or coaches over, by NFL standards, chump change.

If Woody and Idzik think Rex is the coach, they should extend him immediately. It's actually in Idzik's best interest to extend Rex three years, what with having that $50 mil to spend on free agents and having to sell them on coming here. This is 100% on Woody being a cheap prick and not committing to paying Rex the remainder of his deal if it turns out Rex has to be fired. You think Idzik cares if Woody has to scratch Rex a check on his way out the door?

If Woody and Idzik think Rex is the coach, they should extend him immediately. It's actually in Idzik's best interest to extend Rex three years, what with having that $50 mil to spend on free agents and having to sell them on coming here. This is 100% on Woody being a cheap prick and not committing to paying Rex the remainder of his deal if it turns out Rex has to be fired. You think Idzik cares if Woody has to scratch Rex a check on his way out the door?

It's a one year deal and the coaches have a right to secure there future !

One idea I keep hearing is about this 50 mil to spend . This doesn't guarantee us anything there's not that much out there to spend on and. A spending spree doesn't guarantee us anything spending it right does we can't just spend to spend

I think Woody may think REX is the Coach of the future for the Jets, but I'm not conviced Idzik is convinced. Maybe they just simply agreed to give Rex this final year in his contract, and see how it goes, as maybe their was some disagreement between Idzik wanting to fire Rex, and Woody wanting to keep him and extend him, so they sort of met in the middle.

After just typing this however, I thought to myself, wait WOODY's the owner, he makes the calls, so if what I just wrote even remotely resembled what happened, then TOm is correct on his dyfunctionality of the franchise theory.

I think Woody may think REX is the Coach of the future for the Jets, but I'm not conviced Idzik is convinced. Maybe they just simply agreed to give Rex this final year in his contract, and see how it goes, as maybe their was some disagreement between Idzik wanting to fire Rex, and Woody wanting to keep him and extend him, so they sort of met in the middle.

After just typing this however, I thought to myself, wait WOODY's the owner, he makes the calls, so if what I just wrote even remotely resembled what happened, then TOm is correct on his dyfunctionality of the franchise theory.

You'll never go hungry betting on T0m's correctitude.

You'll never go hungry betting on T0m's correctitude.

Do you now think that Idzik may be having 2nd thoughts about taking the JETS job, given what has transpired since REX was "forced" on him last year?

I now get the feeling that if he could go back a year in time and re-visit this whole, "take the Job but keep Rex" Scenario, that he may have done as the other 6 or so candidates did, and basically tell WOODY, when given the take it or leave it scenario as it pertained to REX would have now said, Sorry I'll leave it.

I wonder.

Do you now think that Idzik may be having 2nd thoughts about taking the JETS job, given what has transpired since REX was "forced" on him last year?

I now get the feeling that if he could go back a year in time and re-visit this whole, "take the Job but keep Rex" Scenario, that he may have done as the other 6 or so candidates did, and basically tell WOODY, when given the take it or leave it scenario as it pertained to REX would have now said, Sorry I'll leave it.

I wonder.

I think Idzik cashes checks and bides his time.

Do you now think that Idzik may be having 2nd thoughts about taking the JETS job, given what has transpired since REX was "forced" on him last year?

I now get the feeling that if he could go back a year in time and re-visit this whole, "take the Job but keep Rex" Scenario, that he may have done as the other 6 or so candidates did, and basically tell WOODY, when given the take it or leave it scenario as it pertained to REX would have now said, Sorry I'll leave it.

I wonder.

Idzik wasn't a candidate anywhere else. This may not be his ideal job, but it was his only opportunity.

Idzik wasn't a candidate anywhere else. This may not be his ideal job, but it was his only opportunity.

I find that pretty hard to believe, that a guy with his credentials wasnt at least a candidate at JACKSONVILLE? Maybe your right, and thats why he took a job that really one cannot believe that he was happy with the parameters Woody forced on him to be offered the Job.

You're completely discounting the "working for Woody Johnson" factor.

True, It appears that no matter how awful a job you do working for WOODY, you still get a raise, and praised everyday in the media, on how great a job you are doing. Dreams really do come true working for Woody.

I find that pretty hard to believe, that a guy with his credentials wasnt at least a candidate at JACKSONVILLE? Maybe your right, and thats why he took a job that really one cannot believe that he was happy with the parameters Woody forced on him to be offered the Job.

Jacksonville hired the Jets' first choice last year in David Caldwell. That's a prime job. Great weather, no state income tax. Only downside is living near JiF and Klecko, but on a GM salary, they're probably pretty easily avoidable.

Jacksonville hired the Jets' first choice last year in David Caldwell. That's a prime job. Great weather, no state income tax. Only downside is living near JiF and Klecko, but on a GM salary, they're probably pretty easily avoidable.

I know, but that wasnt the question or inference I was making. Was Idzik a candidate down there? and they decided to go with someone who wasnt willing to take on Rex, even before they had contacted or interviewed Idzik? I'm not sure, but I assume a guy like Idzik must have been on their radar, right?

I know, but that wasnt the question or inference I was making. Was Idzik a candidate down there? and they decided to go with someone who wasnt willing to take on Rex, even before they had contacted or interviewed Idzik? I'm not sure, but I assume a guy like Idzik must have been on their radar, right?

As far as I know, the Jets were the only team to interview him for GM.

It's really not like the guy's résumé was all that impressive.

Does that say more about Idzik or the Jets organization? hmmmm

The Jets job is probably one of the least desirable in the NFL. High taxes, high cost of living, terrible ownership, no actual stadium, forced into taking a loudmouth head coach, shadow of the giants. What's the upside?

As far as I know, the Jets were the only team to interview him for GM.

It's really not like the guy's résumé was all that impressive.

as a former headhunter I can tell you my job was to "jostle" happy candidates, not set up interviews for job hoppers.  His resume is perfectly fine.  His prior team seems to be well situated talent wise. 

He is the son of a guy who was OC for the NYJ, and he played football (IV league), coached football, and scouted football.  He is a football lifer.  He learned the game from every possible angle.

with all of that said, whatever is going on with the assistants is baffling

but you can't knock his background, it is a homerun for any owner looking for  GM, and a no brainer for the jets

Archived