Have a good Jets vibe about 2014. Zona in Feb 2015?

SouthernJet

Thank you, you should know that after 45 years, NOTHING is ever EASY for this franchise.

I agree completely that the JETS could make the playoffs next year (all depends on GENO if he is our QB), but it never is and never will be easy in the NFL, unless you have Manning or Brady slinging it.

Nothing is easy for any of these franchises, but im not going to entertain this "easy" statement because I know that you know what I meant by saying that. Bottomline is that the Jets were a game out of the playoffs with no offensive weapons and a rookie QB. 

Whats crazier is that the Ravens were bought up by you, but the last time I checked didnt Flacco throw more picks and fumbled the ball more than Geno did? I dont hear anyone saying "the ravens could make the playoffs next year (all depends on Flacco if he's their QB)". Flacco is a dude who's been in the league for 6 years. But the ravens can simply imporove by default right? Geno is the primary problem right? Sure....

Flacco accounted for 20 TD's, Geno 18. Flacco threw 22 INT's, Geno 21. Flacco fumbled 8 times, Geno 4 times. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets were a game away from the playoffs after two wins that meant Jack and Crap at the end of the season. Sweet. And all of that in spite of Geno.

The Jets can get better, but at the end of the day it's ultimately on Geno's shoulders and I don't think they're ready or good enough.

"jack and crap". "in spite". lol, sure. 

I made a good point and your comeback to it was lame. when you show me the game where Peyton wins on a 1 vs 11 then you would have made a valid point. 

Flacco accounted for 20 TD's, Geno 18. Flacco threw 22 INT's, Geno 21. Flacco fumbled 8 times, Geno 4 times. 

Joe Flacco isn't a terrible comparison really.  He is a pretty awful QB except in one department:  Throwing the deep ball.  Geno was doing well in this area for the first half of the season but fell off the map in the 2nd half.  Plus Flacco saw a huge dropoff in play with the loss of Anquan Boldin.  Geno saw a huge dropoff in play whenever Jeremy Kerley was out.

Thank goodness we're not paying Geno like Baltimore is paying Flacco.

Nothing is easy for any of these franchises, but im not going to entertain this "easy" statement because I know that you know what I meant by saying that. Bottomline is that the Jets were a game out of the playoffs with no offensive weapons and a rookie QB. 

Whats crazier is that the Ravens were bought up by you, but the last time I checked didnt Flacco throw more picks and fumbled the ball more than Geno did? I dont hear anyone saying "the ravens could make the playoffs next year (all depends on Flacco if he's their QB)". Flacco is a dude who's been in the league for 6 years. But the ravens can simply imporove by default right? Geno is the primary problem right? Sure....

Then I will say it now, It all depends on Flacco. To me Flacco is not a very good QB, but he won a ring and I give him credit, but he was awful this year and they sucked, BUT the big difference obviously is that Flacco has done it before, where so far with Geno, the only thing we have to go on so far is this past year, and in that year, he was the lowest ranked QB in the NFL.

Flacco can fall back on a RING.

Geno can fall back on LAST in the NFL.

Hmmmm.........

Joe Flacco isn't a terrible comparison really.  He is a pretty awful QB except in one department:  Throwing the deep ball.  Geno was doing well in this area for the first half of the season but fell off the map in the 2nd half.  Plus Flacco saw a huge dropoff in play with the loss of Anquan Boldin.  Geno saw a huge dropoff in play whenever Jeremy Kerley was out.

Agree 100%.

"jack and crap". "in spite". lol, sure.

I made a good point and your comeback to it was lame. when you show me the game where Peyton wins on a 1 vs 11 then you would have made a valid point.

Don't pull a muscle patting your back for your "good point".

No QB wins 1 vs. 11. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Yes, the Jets receiving options leave much to be desired, but even if they had good or better options, Geno missing wide or making the wrong read or staring down a great receiver isn't going to make a bit of difference.

So the loss of a weapon impacted Flacco right? A dude who when he had his top WR's went 11TD's and 0Ints in the playoffs. He loses boldin and the guy falls off the map and cant get into the playoffs. 

I overall dont believe in Flacco as an "Elite" QB, but I do believe that Flacco can flourish with talent around him (Just look at his SB run). Yet for someone to insinuate that Geno needs weapons is like blasphemy to these SOJFans. Its unbelievable to even read some of the stuff here on this site and to see it coming from Jet fans. Not saying that you cant dislike a player, but the logic behind the dislike is just mindblowing. Dude's a rookie with nothing around him on the field. 

I appreciate you actually seeing what im talking about. 

Oh, Geno differs from Flacco in one way.  And it's really obvious.  

Flacco isn't mobile.  

Egads, an immobile Geno being paid 20 mill/year. Where is Trader Mike when you need him?

So the loss of a weapon impacted Flacco right? A dude who when he had his top WR's went 11TD's and 0Ints in the playoffs. He loses boldin and the guy falls off the map and cant get into the playoffs. 

I overall dont believe in Flacco as an "Elite" QB, but I do believe that Flacco can flourish with talent around him (Just look at his SB run). Yet for someone to insinuate that Geno needs weapons is like blasphemy to these SOJFans. Its unbelievable to even read some of the stuff here on this site and to see it coming from Jet fans. Not saying that you cant dislike a player, but the logic behind the dislike is just mindblowing. Dude's a rookie with nothing around him on the field. 

I appreciate you actually seeing what im talking about. 

I think QB's can be deemed "good" or "bad" QB's independent of the weapons at their disposal.  But we don't have nearly a large enough sample on Geno to say he can't be a player in this league.  

Mark Sanchez, meanwhile, is terrible and always will be terrible.  No great WR was going to save him.  He'd find a way to misfire to Calvin Johnson.  He was a slow processer, moped on the sidelines, and made some of the worst decisions a QB will ever make.  

Geno had Sanchez-esque moments his first year, but he's got a lot of the qualities you look for in a QB and there's hope there.  He has the prototypical build for a QB, good arm strength and can make plays with his feet; 3 attributes you cannot teach.  If he still sucks with better receivers around him next year, well at least we only burned a 2nd rounder on him.  

You have to be willing to move on from QB's quickly in this league.  And very rarely does one who sucks for one team latch on somewhere else and play amazingly.  This is why I highly doubt we'll ever regret cutting Mark Sanchez when it happens in March.  

Don't pull a muscle patting your back for your "good point".

No QB wins 1 vs. 11. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Yes, the Jets receiving options leave much to be desired, but even if they had good or better options, Geno missing wide or making the wrong read or staring down a great receiver isn't going to make a bit of difference.

How do we know that it isnt Geno simply making the wrong read because he's A ROOKIE and is not only learning a new playbook but a new game overall? 

How do we know that it isnt Geno simply not in tune with the WR on the field given most of them were on the street when week 1 started (Nelson, Salas, Cribbs, Hakim, Sudfeld). 

Yes, Geno stares down receivers, he's doing rookie mistakes and its correctable with experience and reliable guards blocking for you and WR's who can create space. The only WR on the team that was able to make space with their route running was Kerley.  

Its less about patting myself on the back and more me being amazed about the level of hatred Jet fans have for Geno. I've never experienced this before. Just the nonsensical reasons behind it just blows me away. 

I think QB's can be deemed "good" or "bad" QB's independent of the weapons at their disposal.  But we don't have nearly a large enough sample on Geno to say he can't be a player in this league.  

Mark Sanchez, meanwhile, is terrible and always will be terrible.  No great WR was going to save him.  He'd find a way to misfire to Calvin Johnson.  He was a slow processer, moped on the sidelines, and made some of the worst decisions a QB will ever make.  

Geno had Sanchez-esque moments his first year, but he's got a lot of the qualities you look for in a QB and there's hope there.  He has the prototypical build for a QB, good arm strength and can make plays with his feet; 3 attributes you cannot teach.  If he still sucks with better receivers around him next year, well at least we only burned a 2nd rounder on him.  

You have to be willing to move on from QB's quickly in this league.  And very rarely does one who sucks for one team latch on somewhere else and play amazingly.  This is why I highly doubt we'll ever regret cutting Mark Sanchez when it happens in March.  

Again, agree 100%

WTF? We are seriously clicking here! lol. 

Then I will say it now, It all depends on Flacco. To me Flacco is not a very good QB, but he won a ring and I give him credit, but he was awful this year and they sucked, BUT the big difference obviously is that Flacco has done it before, where so far with Geno, the only thing we have to go on so far is this past year, and in that year, he was the lowest ranked QB in the NFL.

Flacco can fall back on a RING.

Geno can fall back on LAST in the NFL.

Hmmmm.........

Anything not to give Geno and the lack of weapons the benefit of the doubt. Im done lol. 

How do we know that it isnt Geno simply making the wrong read because he's A ROOKIE and is not only learning a new playbook but a new game overall? 

How do we know that it isnt Geno simply not in tune with the WR on the field, because a number of his were on the street when week 1 started (Nelson, Salas, Cribbs, Hakim, Sudfeld). 

Yes, Geno stares down receivers, he's doing rookie mistakes and its correctable with experience and reliable guards blocking for you. 

Its less about patting myself on the back and more me being amazed about the level of hatred Jet fans have for Geno. I've never experienced this before. Just the nonsensical reasons behind it just blows me away. 

I think many of us are "gun shy" after watching the JETS stick for 4 years with one of the worst starting QB's to ever play in the NFL. Many of us recognized pretty quickly (as it was obvious) that Sanchez was awful, and many have watched a rookie season form GENO eerily similar to Sanchez's rookie year, and many have witnessed the exact same mistakes Sanchez made being made by GENO.

Sorry, but at times, this year, I swore I was watching #6 instaed of #7. Now do I expect Geno to be as bad as Sanchez? Of course not, as that is nearly impossible, but you have to admit, the early signs for Geno are not favorable, and we do not want to watch this go on for another 4 years before we say, enoughs enough.

I think many of us are "gun shy" after watching the JETS stick for 4 years with one of the worst starting QB's to ever play in the NFL. Many of us recognized pretty quickly (as it was obvious) that Sanchez was awful, and many have watched a rookie season form GENO eerily similar to Sanchez's rookie year, and many have witnessed the exact same mistakes Sanchez made being made by GENO.

Sorry, but at times, this year, I swore I was watching #6 instaed of #7. Now do I expect Geno to be as bad as Sanchez? Of course not, as that is nearly impossible, but you have to admit, the early signs for Geno are not favorable, and we do not want to watch this go on for another 4 years before we say, enoughs enough.

I dont think many of you recognized anything early. I think that you guys jumped the gun and given the fact that Mark didnt flourish under the terrible circumstances that the FO presented mixed with the fact of his own flaws only made it seem like you guys recognized something .

They had a good team around Sanchez and he produced when we needed him two...twice in the playoffs. When the talent started to diminish, when we werent drafting replacements to grow with Sanchez, when we continuously changed targets then we became the inconsistent team that we ultimately produced. 

The problem that I have with these Jet fans is that they expect and ONLY expect an elite QB, when many of the good teams in the league dont have an elite QB but a good team. 

The Jets squandered many opportunities with Sanchez. before you start, NO,.....im not making excuse for Sanchez, but what I am saying is that Sanchez was also put in a no win situation that only an "elite" QB could probably get out of. 

Geno doesnt look like an Elite QB. Maybe he could be, but most likely not. But he certainly looks like a capable QB which is all you need in this league. We have 4 teams left in the playoffs, two are elite the other two are capable. Last year the "capable"Joe Flacco won a SB with support around him. All im saying is that for what its worth, im impressed on how he won 8 games this year, especially after losing his only consistent target for a month and working with atleast 5 different WR's/TE's that walked off the street, into the huddle. 

People can hate on it, but as long as Idzik gets this kid what he needs then I dont give a damn! lol. 

I dont think many of you recognized anything early. I think that you guys jumped the gun and given the fact that Mark didnt flourish under the terrible circumstances that the FO presented mixed with the fact of his own flaws only made it seem like you guys recognized something .

They had a good team around Sanchez and he produced when we needed him two...twice in the playoffs. When the talent started to diminish, when we werent drafting replacements to grow with Sanchez, when we continuously changed targets then we became the inconsistent team that we ultimately produced. 

The problem that I have with these Jet fans is that they expect and ONLY expect an elite QB, when many of the good teams in the league dont have an elite QB but a good team. 

The Jets squandered many opportunities with Sanchez. before you start, NO,.....im not making excuse for Sanchez, but what I am saying is that Sanchez was also put in a no win situation that only an "elite" QB could probably get out of. 

Geno doesnt look like an Elite QB. Maybe he could be, but most likely not. But he certainly looks like a capable QB which is all you need in this league. We have 4 teams left in the playoffs, two are elite the other two are capable. Last year the "capable"Joe Flacco won a SB with support around him. All im saying is that for what its worth, im impressed on how he won 8 games this year, especially after losing his only consistent target for a month and working with atleast 5 different WR's/TE's that walked off the street, into the huddle. 

People can hate on it, but as long as Idzik gets this kid what he needs then I dont give a damn! lol. 

I'll take "capable" at QB.  Thing is, Sanchez couldn't even be that.  Every single QB in the playoffs this season was top 15 in DVOA, which attempts to factor out things like "lack of weapons" and just look at the individual player's performance.  Sanchez was always in the bottom 5 in that category.  Did we do him wrong?  Maybe, but it was clear after 4 seasons that he simply didn't have it.  It's not two mutually exclusive things at work.  Sanchez sucked AND we did him no favors.  

Sanchez wasn't the kind of QB who could put a team on his back and win for you.  Not at all, really.  As bad as Joe Flacco is, he went on an 11 TD, 0 INT run in the playoffs last year.  Sanchez never had that ability in him, because he does NOTHING well that a QB NEEDS to be do well.  He never once was able to help make his teammates better, a quality a QB in the NFL MUST have.

Geno, meanwhile, MIGHT one day end up in that "capable" column.  That remains to be seen, and I'm not writing him off.  He does SOME of the things a QB needs to be able to do.  He showed a few times last season that he COULD put the team on his back.  That's big.

I'll take "capable" at QB.  Thing is, Sanchez couldn't even be that.  Every single QB in the playoffs this season was top 15 in DVOA, which attempts to factor out things like "lack of weapons" and just look at the individual player's performance.  Sanchez was always in the bottom 5 in that category.  Did we do him wrong?  Maybe, but it was clear after 4 seasons that he simply didn't have it.  It's not two mutually exclusive things at work.  Sanchez sucked AND we did him no favors.  

Sanchez wasn't the kind of QB who could put a team on his back and win for you.  Not at all, really.  As bad as Joe Flacco is, he went on an 11 TD, 0 INT run in the playoffs last year.  Sanchez never had that ability in him, because he does NOTHING well that a QB NEEDS to be do well.  He never once was able to help make his teammates better, a quality a QB in the NFL MUST have.

Geno, meanwhile, MIGHT one day end up in that "capable" column.  That remains to be seen, and I'm not writing him off.  He does SOME of the things a QB needs to be able to do.  He showed a few times last season that he COULD put the team on his back.  That's big.

I'll disagree. Sanchez may have terrible numbers his first 2 years when compared to Andrew Luck, but Luck "WISHES" he had Sanchez stats in the playoffs, let alone his wins of 4-2. Stats are funny at times though. We all use them of course but You can bring up DVOA to make your point and I can compare Postseason stats between Sanchez and Luck to prove my point.

I remember when Sanchez was our QB and that was a huge topic on the boards. For some reason, things seemed to click for Sanchez at certain moments, or just when you thought that the Jets and Sanchez couldnt do it, there they go pulling a fast one on a team who thought this was going to be a cake walk. 

Sanchez to me has potential. Then again I also sat here years ago and said that I felt Alex Smith had potential. It seems like it only "clicks" for guys like these consistently when they have someone genuinely around them that believes in them and can really get the most out of them. I guess thats where good coaching comes in. We're not going to get the most out of our QB when Tanny, Schotty and Rex are the guys on the Job. But with Geno having David Lee and Marty (and Idzik leading the way upstairs), I think Geno really has a shot, something that Sanchez simply never got. 

Or Sanchez could be a bust. Sanchez will have a chance again, so we'll definitely see about it. All I know is that Geno for his 1st year with what he had to work with looks capable to me. 

I'll disagree. Sanchez may have terrible numbers his first 2 years when compared to Andrew Luck, but Luck "WISHES" he had Sanchez stats in the playoffs, let alone his wins of 4-2. Stats are funny at times though. We all use them of course but You can bring up DVOA to make your point and I can compare Postseason stats between Sanchez and Luck to prove my point.

I remember when Sanchez was our QB and that was a huge topic on the boards. For some reason, things seemed to click for Sanchez at certain moments, or just when you thought that the Jets and Sanchez couldnt do it, there they go pulling a fast one on a team who thought this was going to be a cake walk. 

Sanchez to me has potential. Then again I also sat here years ago and said that I felt Alex Smith had potential. It seems like it only "clicks" for guys like these consistently when they have someone genuinely around them that believes in them and can really get the most out of them. I guess thats where good coaching comes in. We're not going to get the most out of our QB when Tanny, Schotty and Rex are the guys on the Job. But with Geno having David Lee and Marty (and Idzik leading the way upstairs), I think Geno really has a shot, something that Sanchez simply never got. 

Or Sanchez could be a bust. Sanchez will have a chance again, so we'll definitely see about it. All I know is that Geno for his 1st year with what he had to work with looks capable to me. 

Luck's numbers in the postseason are just fine.  And he was without his # 1 receiver, Reggie Wayne.  He led the 2nd biggest comeback in NFL history with TY Hilton, megabust Darrius Heyward-Bey, bust Trent Richardson, some other JAG's, and Donald Brown. 

Sanchez's numbers in the postseason are OK but nothing special.  And it's irrelevant, really, because we wouldn't have gotten to the postseason in the first place without the tremendous talent around him in '09 and '10.  Those were Super Bowl rosters except at the QB position.  He was the # 1 reason we didn't reach the Super Bowl because of his awful play in both AFC Title games.  And in 2011 and '12, he was the # 1 reason we failed to make the playoffs. 

You talk about lack of sample size with Geno, and I agree.  But 6 postseason games out of Sanchez is too small as well when you juxtapose it with the entire awful body of work he had.

Moreover, Luck passes the eye test.  Sanchez never did. 

I dont think they really quit. They were just a bad team, with a QB who wilted under the pressure of being told after the the bye that we are 5-4 and a legitimate contender. Once we were eliminated, then he played adequately as the games were meaningless at that point. Not a good sign for this QB.

this team quit in Cincinnatti, they quit against Miami.  Geno had little to do with that.  They lost to the Bengals in 5 minutes.  The coaches then quit on Geno for a few games.  There was a lot of quitting going on.  Great reason to bring the coach back.  The team played hard at the end.  Laughable.

this team quit in Cincinnatti, they quit against Miami.  Geno had little to do with that.  They lost to the Bengals in 5 minutes.  The coaches then quit on Geno for a few games.  There was a lot of quitting going on.  Great reason to bring the coach back.  The team played hard at the end.  Laughable.

All valid points.

Luck's numbers in the postseason are just fine.  And he was without his # 1 receiver, Reggie Wayne.  He led the 2nd biggest comeback in NFL history with TY Hilton, megabust Darrius Heyward-Bey, bust Trent Richardson, some other JAG's, and Donald Brown. 

Sanchez's numbers in the postseason are OK but nothing special.  And it's irrelevant, really, because we wouldn't have gotten to the postseason in the first place without the tremendous talent around him in '09 and '10.  Those were Super Bowl rosters except at the QB position.  He was the # 1 reason we didn't reach the Super Bowl because of his awful play in both AFC Title games.  And in 2011 and '12, he was the # 1 reason we failed to make the playoffs. 

You talk about lack of sample size with Geno, and I agree.  But 6 postseason games out of Sanchez is too small as well when you juxtapose it with the entire awful body of work he had.

Moreover, Luck passes the eye test.  Sanchez never did. 

If Luck's post season numbers are just fine, then so are Sanchez. TY Hilton & Heyward-Bey are a better tandem than anything the jets put on the field this year for sure. Reggie Wayne was there all last year and half of this year. He got hurt halfway through the season and TY Hilton showed that he's a #1A type talent. He caught over 80 balls on the year for almost 1,100 yards. As for the Chiefs game, be honest dude. Andrew Luck was still throwing that game away in the second half with 2 more INT's...basically giving the game away some more. The truth is that the Chiefs got such a huge lead they thought they won the game and basically played 2 qtrs of football. That game came down to the fact that the chiefs stopped playing, TY showed that he's Wayne's replacement (Wow, what a difference good targets for your QB make!) and a fumble that landed right in Luck's hands. To spin it like "Luck led them to the 2nd biggest comeback in playoff history" would only work for anyone who didnt see that game. 

Please...the chiefs beat themselves. 

hey, whaddayagonnado?   we have at least one more year of this dysfunction, and there is dysfunction.  l may hate it, but I will still root for them

Oh, I always root for them. Its like drinking bad beer. I piss and moan and complain about it, but I ALWAYS drink it.

Next year will be painful as all the REX HATERS (like me) will be screaming for him to be fired after every loss, and all the REX LOVERS will be screaming for him to be in the HOF after every win.

Ahhh, to be a JET FAN. It doesnt get any better than this.

Oh, I always root for them. Its like drinking bad beer. I piss and moan and complain about it, but I ALWAYS drink it.

Next year will be painful as all the REX HATERS (like me) will be screaming for him to be fired after every loss, and all the REX LOVERS will be screaming for him to be in the HOF after every win.

He has had 5 years and he has not won.  3 years with his players and they have all been mediocre.  Whatever. I will not scream for him to be fired. The owner is a tool.  I am a Met fan.  I have been Wilponned.  When you have a tool running the show like a Dolan or a  Wontpon or a Woody you have to accept it as fate. Don't get angry.  Rage shortens your life.

He has had 5 years and he has not won.  3 years with his players and they have all been mediocre.  Whatever. I will not scream for him to be fired. The owner is a tool.  I am a Met fan.  I have been Wilponned.  When you have a tool running the show like a Dolan or a  Wontpon or a Woody you have to accept it as fate. Don't get angry.  Rage shortens your life.

Nah, especaiily the bad losses where they get demolished, and Geno throws 3 picks. I know I will be screaming for Rex's head. Its human nature and my nature. I screamed for years to fire Tortorella, because I wanted Messier as our coach and they "trade" coaches with Vancouver.

Oh well, back to the Jets and more wallowing in misery.

If last year was any indication, the haters will be screaming louder and faster after wins, in an effort to make sure that no one signed up here on the site enjoys the Jets winning a football game.

Archived