Lets face it, the Jets are going D in the 1st round

JiFtheOracle

So Milliner isn't the #1 but some rookie is going to be? After seeing the growing pains Dee went through?

Open the checkbook, sign Verner to be the stud corner for the next 5 years. Draft a CB in the later rounds to supplement Milliner, Verner, Wilson, Walls, and Lankster.

I meant it more as, Milliner is the only #1.  Like, the only corner you can line up wide since Wilson is much better suited for the slot.  So to restate, you cant go into the season with Milliner as the only corner on the team who you can line up outside the hash marks.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, as long as you promise to not throw the "no weapons" excuse at me this time next year when we have come off yet another season of woeful QB and offensive football.

Idzik has already explicitly stated that he expects to address our dearth of quality skill-position players. He also stated that free agency is for need and the draft is for depth and BPA. From everything he's said, there's almost zero reason to believe the skill-positions will not be majorly addressed.

Idzik has already explicitly stated that he expects to address our dearth of quality skill-position players. He also stated that free agency is for need and the draft is for depth and BPA. From everything he's said, there's almost zero reason to believe the skill-positions will not be majorly addressed.

Including QB?

I meant it more as, Milliner is the only #1.  Like, the only corner you can line up wide since Wilson is much better suited for the slot.  So to restate, you cant go into the season with Milliner as the only corner on the team who you can line up outside the hash marks.

If Cro is indeed done, I agree with you.  I just don't think # 18 is the spot we end up picking a corner.  CB seems deep in this draft, and if Milliner is the # 1, we can find somebody in the 2nd or 3rd round to pair with him. 

The Seahawks found their current starting corners in the 5th (Sherman) and 6th (Byron Maxwell) when Idzik was there.  I'd hate to think he needs to use two straight 1st rounders at corner for us to feel good about that part of the field.

Yes, he has stated that all positions will be looked at and QB as well, when specifically asked about it. I still think you're going to be extremely disappointed when the most they address it is with a mid-round pick.

Fine by me.  QB draft next year seems stronger.

You're acting as if the only place to acquire talent during the offseason is thru the draft. It's not. The Jets should have more than $50M to spend in free agency, as well as a dozen draft picks to dangle. Last year, Idzik traded a fourth rounder for a RB, nothing's stopping him from making a similar deal this year for a WR or TE.

If they do well in the run up to the draft, they'll be in position to take the BAP at #18 - and that's what you should want. It would hardly be the worst thing for this team if the BAP is an OLB, S, or CB. This roster can use help virtually everywhere.

Yeah but the Jets still had no weapons on offense and that RB(Ivory)  rushed for a whopping 800 something yards.     I wouldn't say they solved their issues at RB, because if they did, nobody would have said, the team had 0 weapons on offense.   Ivory is a nice role player on a team who has a ton of weapons.   The Jets don't so he's an 800 yards rushing kind of guy.    So going with that theory,  finding a WR or TE like Ivory will still mean, the Jets have no weapons, just backup players on most other teams.

Fine by me.  QB draft next year seems stronger.

To get a big time QB prospect in the draft, you need to have a top 5 or worst case top 10 pick.

Jets won't be anywhere near that next year.

That doesn't mean you cannot get a big time QB outside of those picks, but if they are big time prospects, that is what you need.

Yeah but the Jets still had no weapons on offense and that RB(Ivory)  rushed for a whopping 800 something yards.     I wouldn't say they solved their issues at RB, because if they did, nobody would have said, the team had 0 weapons on offense.   Ivory is a nice role player on a team who has a ton of weapons.   The Jets don't so he's an 800 yards rushing kind of guy.    So going with that theory,  finding a WR or TE like Ivory will still mean, the Jets have no weapons, just backup players on most other teams.

9 Matt Forte, RB CHI 289 1,339 4.6 55 9 9 83.7 2 74 10 Alfred Morris, RB WSH 276 1,275 4.6 45 10 7 79.7 5 57 RK PLAYER TEAM ATT YDS YDS/A LONG 20+ TD YDS/G FUM 1DN 11 C.J. Spiller, RB BUF 201 927 4.6 77 9 2 61.8 4 26 12 Chris Ivory, RB NYJ 182 833 4.6 69 8 3 55.5 2 34 13 Adrian Peterson, RB MIN 279 1,266 4.5 78 8 10 90.4 3 59 14 Reggie Bush, RB DET 223 1,006 4.5 39 6 4 71.9 5 46 15 Rashad Jennings, RB OAK 163 733 4.5 80 4 6 48.9 0 34 16 Arian Foster, RB HOU 121 542 4.5 23 2 1 67.8 0 31 17 Ryan Mathews, RB SD 285 1,255 4.4 51 7 6 78.4 2 54 18 Stevan Ridley, RB NE 178 773 4.3 29 3 7 55.2 3 39 19 Fred Jackson, RB BUF 207 896 4.3 59 1 9 56.0 2 54 20 Knowshon Moreno, RB DEN 241 1,038 4.3 31 5 10 64.9 1 53

With no downfield passing game and stacked boxes. Chris Ivory is plenty.

If you're saying he can't stay healthy, that's another issue. One separate from the one you are raising.

To get a big time QB prospect in the draft, you need to have a top 5 or worst case top 10 pick.

That doesn't mean you cannot get a big time QB outside of those picks, but if they are big time prospects, that is what you need.

Three out of the 4 QBs left says otherwise. Add to that list Flacco, Brees, Rogers, Romo, Big Ben.

Three out of the 4 QBs left says otherwise. Add to that list Flacco, Brees, Rogers, Romo, Big Ben.

If you read what I said, I said it does not mean you cannot get a big time QB outside of the top 10, just not a big time prospect.

Not one of those guys was considered a steal at the time they were drafted outside of maybe Rodgers, because their stock had fallen for various reasons.

Good point:

Jameis Winston

Marcus Mariota

Brett Hundley

Maybe we can sucker a bad team into trading us a 2015 first rounder for Cromartie and David Harris?

If you read what I said, I said it does not mean you cannot get a big time QB outside of the top 10, just not a big time prospect.

Not one of those guys was considered a steal at the time they were drafted outside of maybe Rodgers, because their stock had fallen for various reasons.

oh I see what you're saying. It's a funny argument though bc they realty don't have any real stock or value until they're picked,. I mean nobody cares what they were considered to be before they're drafted after the draft. Their real value is really only considered after they're picked. Geno's a good example. It's all measured on hindsight which really isn't fair.

It's also impossible to gage the value of those 3 prospects for next year right now.You can talk about their value as a player but not where they'll get picked. Ya know?

If Cro is indeed done, I agree with you.  I just don't think # 18 is the spot we end up picking a corner.  CB seems deep in this draft, and if Milliner is the # 1, we can find somebody in the 2nd or 3rd round to pair with him. 

The Seahawks found their current starting corners in the 5th (Sherman) and 6th (Byron Maxwell) when Idzik was there.  I'd hate to think he needs to use two straight 1st rounders at corner for us to feel good about that part of the field.

Personally, I dont get the butt hurt over taking certain positions at certain points in the draft.  I mean, I'm not taking a Guard 9th overall or anything utterly stupid like that...but I'm not going to be upset if the Jets go Corner or Safety in the first.  Its a need and if thats the BAP, sobeit.  So I dont know why you'd hate to think anything...the corners suck.  If you can improve them by finding a corner in the first...you do it.  What does it matter if its the 1st, 2nd or 3rd? 

Basing your strategy off how other teams find prospects isnt how you go about business...if that was the case, everyone would be searching for Tom Brady in the 6th every year and expecting results.   There is a huge pinch of luck in the draft. So the Seahawks landing the best corner in the game in the 5th doesnt mean thats where you find corners now.  That should have zero impact on Idzik and my assumption since they took Milliner at 9, it doesnt.

oh I see what you're saying. It's a funny argument though bc they realty don't have any real stock or value until they're picked,. I mean nobody cares what they were considered to be before they're drafted after the draft. Their real value is really only considered after they're picked. Geno's a good example. It's all measured on hindsight which really isn't fair.

It's also impossible to gage the value of those 3 prospects for next year right now.You can talk about their value as a player but not where they'll get picked. Ya know?

Agree.

Personally, I dont get the butt hurt over taking certain positions at certain points in the draft.  I mean, I'm not taking a Guard 9th overall or anything utterly stupid like that...but I'm not going to be upset if the Jets go Corner or Safety in the first.  Its a need and if thats the BAP, sobeit.  So I dont know why you'd hate to think anything...the corners suck.  If you can improve them by finding a corner in the first...you do it.  What does it matter if its the 1st, 2nd or 3rd? 

Basing your strategy off how other teams find prospects isnt how you go about business...if that was the case, everyone would be searching for Tom Brady in the 6th every year and expecting results.   There is a huge pinch of luck in the draft. So the Seahawks landing the best corner in the game in the 5th doesnt mean thats where you find corners now.  That should have zero impact on Idzik and my assumption since they took Milliner at 9, it doesnt.

Believe me I'm rooting for it to happen.  The board will melt down and that will be awesome.  Just don't see it happening come draft day.  Plenty of nice skill players that should be available when we pick who could very well be BPA.  And I also don't think we stick and pick at 18.  Trading up makes sense.

Believe me I'm rooting for it to happen.  The board will melt down and that will be awesome.  Just don't see it happening come draft day.  Plenty of nice skill players that should be available when we pick who could very well be BPA.  And I also don't think we stick and pick at 18.  Trading up makes sense.

I agree. I just cant believe that with this woeful offense, that even at 18, that thier wont be a skill player that can help an offense, everyone on this board blames for not having any weapons. And I also agree, I think Idzik will be moving up to get a top offensive guy, I could see him trading up to get Watkins.

The idea of BPA assumes that the draft is more than a crap shoot. To say that one player at say CB is ranked so much higher than the next best WR assumes more of an exact science than it really is.

I am sure that the teams and scouts do have rankings and scores on players so that they can make that call at draft time, but IMO it's such an inexact science that BPA is a lot of crap, 95% of the time.

The idea of BPA assumes that the draft is more than a crap shoot. To say that one player at say CB is ranked so much higher than the next best WR assumes more of an exact science than it really is.

I am sure that the teams and scouts do have rankings and scores on players so that they can make that call at draft time, but IMO it's such an inexact science that BPA is a lot of crap, 95% of the time.

It's highly difficult to simply rank 21-22 year old players on a board.  But then again that's what Idzik and his scouting team get paid to do. 

It's highly difficult to simply rank 21-22 year old players on a board.  But then again that's what Idzik and his scouting team get paid to do. 

Partly agree, what they really get paid to do is field a great football team.

Being a prisoner to BPA is a luxury you don't have when you have tremendous holes on your team, such as our passing game.

I don't like the FA WR group at all, so what do we do, skip WR for the first three rounds if they are not one ranking point above a DL'men?

Its a dumb premise.

Partly agree, what they really get paid to do is field a great football team.

Being a prisoner to BPA is a luxury you don't have when you have tremendous holes on your team, such as our passing game.

I don't like the FA WR group at all, so what do we do, skip WR for the first three rounds if they are not one ranking point above a DL'men?

Its a dumb premise.

I'd argue that reaching for players purely to fill a need leads you into more problems than it solves.  It's what landed us Dewayne Robertson, Mike Nugent, and Victor Hobson back in the Herm days.  Reaching for players causes you to take less talented guys, and then a couple years later, that ends up being a need all over again.

No one thought we'd draft a DL last year.  It didn't fill a need.  But we took Richardson and no one regrets this.  Getting the best football team possible means getting the best players you can find regardless of where they play (within reason) and seeing how it all shakes out. 

And if a rare instance occurs where you're about to pick and the top 3 guys on your board are at positions where you already have a glut of talent, trading down is an option.  Phones are always ringing on draft day and the odds are good that one of 31 teams wants someone at your spot.

I'd argue that reaching for players purely to fill a need leads you into more problems than it solves.  It's what landed us Dewayne Robertson, Mike Nugent, and Victor Hobson back in the Herm days.  Reaching for players causes you to take less talented guys, and then a couple years later, that ends up being a need all over again.

No one thought we'd draft a DL last year.  It didn't fill a need.  But we took Richardson and no one regrets this.  Getting the best football team possible means getting the best players you can find regardless of where they play (within reason) and seeing how it all shakes out. 

And if a rare instance occurs where you're about to pick and the top 3 guys on your board are at positions where you already have a glut of talent, trading down is an option.  Phones are always ringing on draft day and the odds are good that one of 31 teams wants someone at your spot.

At 18, I doubt you'd find a guy that is a "reach". They've got just as much chance of succeeding as anyone else you'd find at that spot.

I'd argue that reaching for players purely to fill a need leads you into more problems than it solves. It's what landed us Dewayne Robertson, Mike Nugent, and Victor Hobson back in the Herm days. Reaching for players causes you to take less talented guys, and then a couple years later, that ends up being a need all over again.

No one thought we'd draft a DL last year. It didn't fill a need. But we took Richardson and no one regrets this. Getting the best football team possible means getting the best players you can find regardless of where they play (within reason) and seeing how it all shakes out.

And if a rare instance occurs where you're about to pick and the top 3 guys on your board are at positions where you already have a glut of talent, trading down is an option. Phones are always ringing on draft day and the odds are good that one of 31 teams wants someone at your spot.

what you can't quantify is the scale between position of need vs BPA. How big of a gap can only be determined by the war room's inner circle.

Archived