Lets face it, the Jets are going D in the 1st round

JustInFudge

ive done a million and one mock drafts trying to win this contest

whether it's accurate or not isn't the point (it probably isn't) 

One thing I have learned for sure is it's better to go CB in 1/WR in 2 than the opposite. Once you are past Verritt/Roby it's sleepers like Pierre Desir and Bashaud Breeland. There are multiple great WR available in rd 2 (my fave is Moncrief, but there's also Matthews, Bryant etc. )

Agreed.  I dont think the difference of Cooks vs. Lee/Matthews/Adams/Moncrief/Bryant/you get the picture is that great.

Although, I could be down with one of my Gators CB's later if they go WR 1st.  Those guys are tailor made for Rex.  Ronald Powell too for that matter, but he's a bit of a vagina.  All the talent in the world but straight vageen. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 1st rounders on our D, including 2 1st rd corners yet we still need help on D?

Draft a playmaker on O and let Rex earn his reputation on D. What some fail to realize is a good Offense is a big help to a good defense, Jet fans should understand this. If our O can score and stay on the field it will only make our D that much better.

6 1st rounders on our D, including 2 1st rd corners yet we still need help on D?

Draft a playmaker on O and let Rex earn his reputation on D. What some fail to realize is a good Offense is a big help to a good defense, Jet fans should understand this. If our O can score and stay on the field it will only make our D that much better.

That's all fine, well, and good, but not a solid reason to pass up a better prospect on defense to select an offensive player on principle. I'd love a stud WR at #18, but if they have a CB or S rated higher, that's the way they should absolutely go. They didn't just have the worst receivers in the league last year, they also had one of the worst secondaries. The difference is that they signed arguably the top WR in free agency, as well as a (the?) top RB, who's also expected to help in the passing game, and did next to nothing for their decrepit secondary.

That's all fine, well, and good, but not a solid reason to pass up a better prospect on defense to select an offensive player on principle. I'd love a stud WR at #18, but if they have a CB or S rated higher, that's the way they should absolutely go. They didn't just have the worst receivers in the league last year, they also had one of the worst secondaries. The difference is that they signed arguably the top WR in free agency, as well as a (the?) top RB, who's also expected to help in the passing game, and did next to nothing for their decrepit secondary.

I understand, but though I believe Decker is a solid WR he is not Calvin Johnson. Decker will be taken out of the game if he is the only threat and we are back to where we were. As far as our secondary goes, I loved cro but he was awful last year and honestly think he was a weak link. Now if OBJ, Cooks, and Lee are gone then go ahead and take one of the corners. The problem is I am not sure any of the corners are sure fire starters. I am not a fan of taking a safety in the 1st round just like I am never a fan of taking a guard in the 1st. Both positions can be filled later.

I understand, but though I believe Decker is a solid WR he is not Calvin Johnson. Decker will be taken out of the game if he is the only threat and we are back to where we were. As far as our secondary goes, I loved cro but he was awful last year and honestly think he was a weak link. Now if OBJ, Cooks, and Lee are gone then go ahead and take one of the corners. The problem is I am not sure any of the corners are sure fire starters. I am not a fan of taking a safety in the 1st round just like I am never a fan of taking a guard in the 1st. Both positions can be filled later.

Yeah, I don't think Calvin Johnson is gonna be available with the 18th pick of the draft, either.

They'll probably be looking at something like Fuller/Dennard vs. Cooks/Lee, and that's probably something of a toss up. If it's close, I can really see them going CB largely because they've already addressed the WR position with Decker, and that the WR class in this draft is deeper than CB - so they'll be more likely to get a better WR prospect later.

It's almost like if you punt all your best chances to get high impact offensive players you end up with a terrible offense!!! Who would've thunk it!?

I keep coming back to something Parcells always said about the first round. He always said you don't take small guys in the first round. That was George Young's philosophy and Bill Walsh's. It has never been said - but it's apparent that it is Belicheck's as well. That's why I don't like Cooks in the first, and even Beckham. I didn't like DMC in the first for this reason, or Reggie Bush or Tedd Ginn, etc, etc.

Lots of people like to bring up Sherman - but statistically 12 out of the 16 pro bowl CB's are first round picks. There are a TON of WR's that are small, speedy guys that are picked in later rounds. 

Finally the league seems to be getting bigger and bigger at WR so teams NEED two athletic, long corners to combat this trend.

So I'm hoping we get a bigger player in the first according to position. A bigger S, or CB or WR.

I agree, we need more talent on defense since Mike pettine left. we need 1st round picks at all defensive positions so Rex can relax and concentrate more on the offense.

If they take a defensive player I'd like it to be Barr. And if it has to be a corner Fuller would be my preference, although I bet they'd like to try to mold Gilbert. Ideally, the top corners come off the board early. But I'd much rather they go offense.

All of that said, Jay Glazer (who's usually pretty good) reported that JiF will probably be right and the Jets are likely going defense in the first.

Archived