Lets face it, the Jets are going D in the 1st round

JustInFudge

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I meant it more as, Milliner is the only #1.  Like, the only corner you can line up wide since Wilson is much better suited for the slot.  So to restate, you cant go into the season with Milliner as the only corner on the team who you can line up outside the hash marks.

I think Lankster and Walls and Trufant are better than we give them credit for.

You know it. I know it. Everybody knows it. So get over the idea of adding a stud WR like Watkins, Evans or Lee or a TE. It aint happening.

First off, the WR's wont be there when the Jets pick and the value will be too much for a TE. So the Jets will be taking...a cornerback. Yep, thats right, again.

None of the top flight WR's will be on the board. And while the Jets WR core is terrible, the secondary isnt far behind. Especially when Cro gets his walking papers before March. At that point, the Jets will be running with a big question mark in Milliner who will be forced into the #1 slot and a very solid nickel corner in Wilson...and thats it.

So get over it. Get used to it. The Jets are going D again and the Jets are going corner, again.

Familiarize yourself with these names because one of them will be the 18th overall pick by the NY Jets.

Justin Gilbert - probably gone

Darqueze Dennard - possibly gone

Marcus Roberson - Go Gators

Loucheiz Purifoy - Go Gators

Kyle Fuller

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

If Jets can keep Holmes as depth n add two starting caliber WRs, I don't see why not go CB. We do need secondary help after all.

Geno was BPA

Hahahaha that is laughable! You trying to tell me that a guy who was slated to be the #1 pick in the ENTIRE draft for months on end and had one of the most demoralizing slips in the NFL draft history was BPA.  UH NO.  K Alonso... Bills,  Montee Ball.... Broncos,   Lacey...Packers.  I could go on but whats the point.  Every GM in football saw the deficiencies in Smith, except of course, dumb azz Idzik.  I give him a pass on Smith since he is new and was desperate but the clock is ticking.    

Personally, I dont get the butt hurt over taking certain positions at certain points in the draft.  I mean, I'm not taking a Guard 9th overall or anything utterly stupid like that...but I'm not going to be upset if the Jets go Corner or Safety in the first.  Its a need and if thats the BAP, sobeit.  So I dont know why you'd hate to think anything...the corners suck.  If you can improve them by finding a corner in the first...you do it.  What does it matter if its the 1st, 2nd or 3rd? 

Basing your strategy off how other teams find prospects isnt how you go about business...if that was the case, everyone would be searching for Tom Brady in the 6th every year and expecting results.   There is a huge pinch of luck in the draft. So the Seahawks landing the best corner in the game in the 5th doesnt mean thats where you find corners now.  That should have zero impact on Idzik and my assumption since they took Milliner at 9, it doesnt.

If the Jets pick another CB in the first round,  it would  the Jets already have 3 first round CBs, picked 4 first round CBs over the past how many years and pretty much tells you  it sort of tells this organization  is stupid as hell in picking CBs then.   WHo the hell picks the same position Every freaking year and still sucks at that position?

And saying all that, their offense is one of the worst in the NFL.   So you pick corners in the first round often and you ignore the offense and yet you still don't improve any of those areas.   That's a sign of a bad team.

This is why I hope the Staff is not as dumb as many fans.   Imagine if the Jets picked or signed a QB in the first round every damn year.  People are not happy they picked Sanchez in the first and Smith in the second, but hey Wilson, Milliner,  and Revis(now long gone) amd signed Cromartie were all first round picks.        A team who had 4 First round CBs (one gone now) and the CB position is still a huge need better start looking at their scouting department.

Hahahaha that is laughable! You trying to tell me that a guy who was slated to be the #1 pick in the ENTIRE draft for months on end and had one of the most demoralizing slips in the NFL draft history was BPA.  UH NO.  K Alonso... Bills,  Montee Ball.... Broncos,   Lacey...Packers.  I could go on but whats the point.  Every GM in football saw the deficiencies in Smith, except of course, dumb azz Idzik.  I give him a pass on Smith since he is new and was desperate but the clock is ticking.    

Every GM in the league passed on Alonso. Every GM in the league based on Ball. Every GM in the league based on Lacy.

11 GM's passed on Richardson, but Idzik didn't.

See, you can spin it any way you want. Some guys are going to exceed expectations and some aren't. Just the way it goes.

BTW, Idzik didn't even have his scouts in place. You think GMs do their own scouting without help? Come on, man.

Next thing you'll say is that there were 6 QB needy teams in last year's draft, too. We can play the hindsight game all day.

You know what's laughable? That a MLB or RB was the BPA for the Jets (or most of the other 31 teams in the league that passed on them) in the second round.

Clock is ticking, huh? Guy was given a disgusting salary cap situation and a talent deficient roster and his clock is ticking. The fact that you think the "clock is ticking" on Idzik leads me to believe that you've either been a Jet fan for six or seven months or that you have been diagnosed with some sort of fatal and incurable disease and have been given twelve months to live.

If the Jets pick another CB in the first round,  it would  the Jets already have 3 first round CBs, picked 4 first round CBs over the past how many years and pretty much tells you  it sort of tells this organization  is stupid as hell in picking CBs then.   WHo the hell picks the same position Every freaking year and still sucks at that position?

And saying all that, their offense is one of the worst in the NFL.   So you pick corners in the first round often and you ignore the offense and yet you still don't improve any of those areas.   That's a sign of a bad team.

This is why I hope the Staff is not as dumb as many fans.   Imagine if the Jets picked or signed a QB in the first round every damn year.  People are not happy they picked Sanchez in the first and Smith in the second, but hey Wilson, Milliner,  and Revis(now long gone) amd signed Cromartie were all first round picks.        A team who had 4 First round CBs (one gone now) and the CB position is still a huge need better start looking at their scouting department.

I hope that the Staff isnt as dumb as many fans as well and feel the need to reach for talent because of the deficiency on offense. 

Just wait and see, the BAP will be a corner. 

I hope that the Staff isnt as dumb as many fans as well and feel the need to reach for talent because of the deficiency on offense. 

Just wait and see, the BAP will be a corner.

Reading the Jets financial scouting report on Jason's OTC site, I found this interesting....

Over the last ten years, teams selecting in the 16-20 range drafted pass rushers 32% of the time, and CBs 20% of the time. Easily the top two positions taken in those slots, and also easily listed as needs for the Jets. As QBs, WRs, and OTs come off the board before them, these are the positions who generally present value in the Jets' slot.

In other words, if the Jets want value and offensive help in the draft, they're probably going to have to trade up to get it. If they sit tight, the value will likely be at one of their defensive needs.

Reading the Jets financial scouting report on Jason's OTC site, I found this interesting....

Over the last ten years, teams selecting in the 16-20 range drafted pass rushers 32% of the time, and CBs 20% of the time. Easily the top two positions taken in those slots, and also easily listed as needs for the Jets. As QBs, WRs, and OTs come off the board before them, these are the positions who generally present value in the Jets' slot.

In other words, if the Jets want value and offensive help in the draft, they're probably going to have to trade up to get it. If they sit tight, the value will likely be at one of their defensive needs.

I love that Jason dude because he takes the time to do stuff that I'm way too lazy to do...but this was my whole line of reasoning behind this thread.  I went back and looked at the past few drafts and this area was where a lot of CB were going, as the data he provided suggests.  So when I started to assess this draft, I noticed 2 things, the lack of pass rushers who would be around (at this point at least) and the likelihood that the WR's were gone (which I think is very high).  It was at that point, that I realized the Jets are more than likely going corner at 18 because that will be the BAP on the board.

So basically if the Jets conclude they'll get a better defensive player at 18...there's no reason not to spend some on a WR in FA.

Yeah. I think the wildcard is the TE position. It wouldn't show up as a big % of players taken in any slot simply because not as many are available (as a position where there's generally only one starter per team), so value could present itself there, too.

I do think the Jets should be looking very hard at Maclin or Tate, though.

Yeah. I think the wildcard is the TE position. It wouldn't show up as a big % of players taken in any slot simply because not as many are available (as a position where there's generally only one starter per team), so value could present itself there, too.

I do think the Jets should be looking very hard at Maclin or Tate, though.

Frankly I'd be shocked if the Jets don't get one of the top WRs in free agency. 

So basically if the Jets conclude they'll get a better defensive player at 18...there's no reason not to spend some on a WR in FA.

Thats the other part of the equation...I think they target a WR in FA.  The position they're in, they need an immediate shot in the arm and banking on a rookie to be that is wishful thinking.

Thats the other part of the equation...I think they target a WR in FA.  The position they're in, they need an immediate shot in the arm and banking on a rookie to be that is wishful thinking.

personally, I don't think any of the FA WR's are real difference makers. They are upgrades over what we have, but none of these guys change our offense. The only possible exception is Nicks, based on talent, but he scares me more than he excites me.

personally, I don't think any of the FA WR's are real difference makers. They are upgrades over what we have, but none of these guys change our offense. The only possible exception is Nicks, based on talent, but he scares me more than he excites me.

I know the term difference maker is usually reserved for the premier players, those who can impact an offense and or defense in unique ways. However, the fact that Decker, Maclin et al are significantly better than anyone on our roster and is capable of performing like that, in and of itself will make a difference. Our lack of talent at WR is alarming, any of the top handful of receivers this year would be an immediate upgrade and have a pretty significant impact on our offense.

I dunno man, when your situation is so bad that David Nelson and Greg Salas upgarde your WR core...I mean...

If you look at what we did with Kerley in the lineup and without, you could say he changed our offense.

• 3 months later...

Who are you rooting for- Jif = who predicted a CB or Tom Shane- who will be committed if we  choose a defensive player is the important question

Both.  Duh.

But honestly, I think if Odell Beckham is on the board, the Jets take him.  My CB prediction will only hold true if Watkins, Evans and Beckham are off the board.

Both.  Duh.

But honestly, I think if Odell Beckham is on the board, the Jets take him.  My CB prediction will only hold true if Watkins, Evans and Beckham are off the board.

You think the Jets would pass on Cooks?

JETS will pick BPA in first round. It could be offense or defense.

But If its defense we will hear how Rex bullied Idzik into picking a defensive player and how the JETS are focused only on defense and do not care for offense.

If its offense than we will hear how the JETS picked offense to fool the world into thinking they are not not focused on defense,  which is what they really are focused on all the time.

I think the only way the Jets pass on Cooks or Beckham is for Dennard or Gilbert.  Between Beckham and Cooks themselves, it feels like a complete toss up at this point....and Im sure both will be there at 18 and maybe 1 of the 2 before mentioned CB's as well....it will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Dont let me stand in the way.  Keep lying to yourselves.  Keep drooling over a WR.  Keep talking about it, keep making threads....dream on.  I'm just trying to prepare you for the inevitable.  The Jets will be taking a corner...and they should.  This is a deep WR class and there a quite a few stud man corners that will be great value at 18.

Only death is inevitable. Millions of Americans do not pay taxes. So only death is inevitable. Well, Death and a Matt Mulligan holding penalty.

ive done a million and one mock drafts trying to win this contest

whether it's accurate or not isn't the point (it probably isn't) 

One thing I have learned for sure is it's better to go CB in 1/WR in 2 than the opposite. Once you are past Verritt/Roby it's sleepers like Pierre Desir and Bashaud Breeland. There are multiple great WR available in rd 2 (my fave is Moncrief, but there's also Matthews, Bryant etc. )

Depends on who's available.  If Dennard, Gilbert, Fuller or Roby are left, yes, I think they pass on Cooks/Lee/anyone not named Watkins, Evans, Beckham.

Archived