Muhammad Wilkerson believes in Geno Smith, confused by Kellen Winslow

F.Chowds

Richard Sherman he is not.

It would be nearly impossible to confuse calm, measured Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson with the Seahawks' loquacious cornerback. But during a Tuesday radio appearance, Wilkerson addressed the Sherman uproar as well as a pair of recent embarrassing incidents involving Wilkerson's teammates.

Sherman's feud with 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree has taken centerstage in the football world, even as the Super Bowl gets set to descend upon the New York/New Jersey area. Some have called Sherman's on-camera outbursts about Crabtree entertaining, others classless.

Wilkerson's take?

"Every player's their own man," Wilkerson said on WFAN's Benigno & Roberts. "That's just the type of player he is. I think he's a very talented player. I can't talk about his actions 'cause he's his own man."

The actions of some of Wilkerson's teammates on the other side of the ball have given the Jets some bad press of late.

Quarterback Geno Smith was reportedly involved in a dispute with a flight attendant while his plane was still on the ground last Friday, leading to Smith leaving the plane and being questioned -- but not charged -- by police.

"At the end of the day, nobody's perfect in this world," Wilkerson said. "People make mistakes and whatnot. He's a rookie. He's gonna go through these things. But I'm pretty sure he's gonna learn from it and move on."

But Wilkerson wasn't so chatty about the allegations of synthetic marijuana use and public masturbation facing tight end Kellen Winslow Jr.

"I don't know what to say about that," he said.

Restrained on the radio, Wilkerson was a dominant force on the field in 2013. He was named a second-team All-Pro at defensive tackle, but wasn't selected to the Pro Bowl at his position of defensive end. Cornerback Antonio Cromartie is the team's lone defensive representative.

"I think I should be in the Pro Bowl, but I'm gonna use it as motivation for next year, and I definitely know I'll be there next year," Wilkerson said.

The subject of "next year" in general draws optimism from Wilkerson, who said he was happy the Jets retained head coach Rex Ryan and professed faith in general manager John Idzik's plan for the franchise.

"This year we got our feet wet," he said of the Jets' 8-8 record. "I definitely think next year is gonna be the year."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/New-York-Jets-Mark-Sanchez-gets-support-from-Nick-Mangold-061913

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-players-throw-support-behing-mark-sanchez-report-team-lost-confidence-quarterback-article-1.996987

Players always support the QB in the press. Almost always. Terrell Owens cried in support of his QB. 

Mo Wilk saying he supports Geno means about as much as me saying I think Geno is bad.

I like that Mo backs Geno. I am reeeeeeaaaaaallly not down on Smith and it seems like a lot of smart Jets think he could be the guy. Not that Mo wasn't just saying the right thing...

Me too.

Looks to me like Mo was being questioned about Genos plane incident not his play on the field. And even if it were his play on the field did you expect anything other than support for the teams current QB from Mo? What player, when questioned by the media, would have negative things to say about their teams rookie QB ? Not many, if any at all.

Looks to me like Mo was being questioned about Genos plane incident not his play on the field. And even if it were his play on the field did you expect anything other than support for the teams current QB from Mo? What player, when questioned, would have negative things to say about their teams rookie QB ?

Santonio Holmes.

Looks to me like Mo was being questioned about Genos plane incident not his play on the field. And even if it were his play on the field did you expect anything other than support for the teams current QB from Mo? What player, when questioned by the media, would have negative things to say about their teams rookie QB ? Not many, if any at all.

John Elway : when asked if the Broncos have their future QB on the roster right now (referring to when Tebow was the starter)? Elways simple answer :"NO"

John Elway : when asked if the Broncos have their future QB on the roster right now (referring to when Tebow was the starter)? Elways simple answer :"NO"

That team had a few QB's playing that year and no one was doing anything special. John Elway did not draft Tebow and claim he would be the teams QB he was drafted as a project by an Idiot in the first round. One of the worst first round picks in years so I see nothing wrong with Elway not committing to anyone at QB

That team had a few QB's playing that year and no one was doing anything special. John Elway did not draft Tebow and claim he would be the teams QB he was drafted as a project by an Idiot in the first round. One of the worst first round picks in years so I see nothing wrong with Elway not committing to anyone at QB

I agree completely, and to an extent, IDZIK did the same thing with GENO because when he was asked if the JETS would look at QB's this year, he said,definitely YES, and he didnt give some ploitcically correct answer like.

We are happy with Geno but we will look.

He said, we are always looking to UPGRADE.

Good for IDZIK to say that.

Archived