kerley ~ ~ ~

kelly

Despite missing four games with a concussion and an elbow injury, Jeremy Kerley led the Jets with 43 catches for 523 yards. He rated 95th in the league in receptions and 86th in yardage. It was that kind of year for the passing game.

Kerley was a very important part of the offense, however. The three games he missed coincided with Geno Smith's worst stretch of football. It was a stretch where Geno went four straight games completing less than 10 passes. His little late season renaissance began when Kerley returned against Oakland. Kerley's presence made the passing game at least somewhat credible.

Kerley is not a game-breaking player. The Jets used him out of the slot over 70% of the time for a reason. He doesn't have great speed, and he is a small player. What he does have is a good initial burst and can make people miss once he has the ball in his hands. On a good passing offense, he probably would be a third option but a productive one. I have always thought he would get a ton of hype if he played in an offense like Green Bay extending drives with big third down catches and runs. With the Jets he was a reliable third down target.

Kerley comes with a few extras. As a high school quarterback, he has seen duty in Wildcat packages, although his only pass this year was incomplete. He also does return punts, albeit not effectively. The Jets finally seemed to end the experiment after Kerley set an NFL fair catch record in 2012. He has the skills to be a good returner, but his judgment on when to fair catch is suspect.

So Kerley is not an All Pro. Of the weapons the Jets have at running back, tight end, and wide receiver, however, I think there are only two guys who are part of the solution. Chris Ivory is one. Kerley is the other. He will only cost $1.4 million against the cap. His trade value is minimal. He is a quality receiver. For these reasons, he should be back. If the Jets could ever add some talent at the position, he would make a very nice complimentary piece. 2014 is the last year of his contract. I don't really see the need to extend him at this point. I always want to have flexibility and avoid committing to players if it can be avoided. Kerley probably isn't going to have a monster year and raise his price substantially. Receivers like Kerley tend to not be difficult to find. Since the Jets have him, they should ride with him out of the slot once again.

> http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/...013-and-beyond

Victor Cruz played so many snaps in the slot because he's not a gamebreaker.

Lulza...dont get the article all together...just a little piece to let us know what we have in Kerley, a good slot WR who could be much better in a better passing offense?

wow, ground breaking sh*t righ there.

Lulza...dont get the article all together...just a little piece to let us know what we have in Kerley, a good slot WR who could be much better in a better passing offense?

wow, ground breaking sh*t righ there.

I'm sure Kerley is one of very few WRs who would benefit from being on a team that passed more.

if we had some talent other then kerly maybe geno would be a not bad QB

idzik fails if half the people blame the QB and half blame the surrounding talent again next year. at least one has to be fixed. come on idzik, give us the luxury of knowing who to blame in 2014!

idzik fails if half the people blame the QB and half blame the surrounding talent again next year. at least one has to be fixed. come on idzik, give us the luxury of knowing who to blame in 2014!

he could only do so much with what that  a$$ of GM  left behind, he drafted starting from the bottom up get depth in the line wich we now have and get one maybe two playmakers he did ok on this daft. i think his next draft  will bring more playmakers on the O side along with one big name from FA. 

if the " i - man " can help/build us as much as he did the seahawks...cool :winking0001:

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

Don't get the tone of the article. Kerley's not a star, but a good little player to have on your team.  And this  year he was the only genuine pro level WR our QB had to pass to,  as evidenced by what happened during his absence.

he's a pretty good " role player "  :beer:

Archived