New York Jets Free Agent Target – Andre Roberts

eboozer

http://turnonthejets.com/

By Joe Caporoso. March 3, 2014

We continue our look at potential free agent wide receiver targets for the New York Jets today with Andre Roberts, of the Arizona Cardinals. Previously, we have looked at Golden Tate, Emmanuel Sanders and James Jones. Currently, Jeremy Maclin, Anquan Boldin and Riley Cooper have all been taken off the market.

Player: Andre Roberts, Wide Receiver, Arizona Cardinals.

Experience: 4 years (2010, 3rd round pick)

Size/Speed: 5 foot 11, 195 pounds, 4.46 forty yard dash in 2010

Career Stats:
•2010: 15 games. 24 receptions, 49 targets, 307 yards, 12.8 YPC, 2 TDs.
•2011: 16 games. 51 receptions, 98 targets, 586 yards, 11.5 YPC, 2 TDs.
•2012: 15 games. 64 receptions, 113 targets, 759 yards, 11.9 YPC, 5 TDs.
•2013: 16 games, 43 receptions, 76 targets, 471 yards, 11.0 YPC, 2 TDs.

*Roberts has returned 40 punts in his NFL Career for 275 yards.

Strengths: Roberts has the versatility to play all over the formation. He has been an effective player both in the slot and on the outside. Prior to losing reps to Michael Floyd and the Cardinals moving to a heavy two tight end offense in 2013, Roberts was an ascending player who was improving every season. He managed four 100+ yard games from 2010-2012 despite truly horrific quarterback play and had five receptions of 40 yards or longer. He has been durable and shown good hands throughout his career. Roberts is a relatively polished route runner who has experience working through the entire route tree at the NFL level.

Negatives: Roberts isn’t an explosive player and is not somebody who is going to regularly create much after the catch. He has a slight frame and isn’t built to work over the middle of the field consistently. Despite showing an ability to play on the outside, Roberts is probably better served spending the majority of his time in the slot. He is not a red-zone target, with only 11 touchdowns over 4 seasons and only 7 of them coming in the red-zone.

Overall: Roberts is a very comparable player to Emmanuel Sanders, if not slightly better despite not having as well known of a name. He may be somebody the Jets can get at 2-3 million per year and he is good enough to be a plug and play receiver that can give the team 45-50 reps per week all over the formation. The numbers Roberts put up in 2012, considering the quarterback play he was dealing with were particularly impressive. This team needs competent, starting caliber NFL receivers and Roberts is one of them who may come at an affordable price.

I would be utterly disgusted if this guy was the move they made. He's done nothing so far. I'm not in favor of signing a fifth year veteran on potential.

You say this as if its the only move Idzik would make.  Roberts is a quality wr.  He is not a #1 wr but is a reliable player a  #3  / #4 wr who has played under the shadows of Fitzgerald.  He would be a nice addition to our wr corps.   He has excellent hands, can return punts and is good with yac.   

You say this as if its the only move Idzik would make.  Roberts is a quality wr.  He is not a #1 wr but is a reliable player a  #3  / #4 wr who has played under the shadows of Fitzgerald.  He would be a nice addition to our wr corps.   He has excellent hands, can return punts and is good with yac.   

As far as free agent WR signings, I don't see him signing more than one. And no, he's not good with yac, he's actually pretty bad, one of the worst.

The Jets had the worse WRs in the NFL last season we didn't have a #1 so bringing in a bunch of #3-#4s isn't going to fix our WR problems.

The Jets had the worst WRs in the NFL because they were starting #5-#6s.  Bringing in a bunch of #3-#4s certainly improves our WR situation.  The way this board reveres Kerley and Nelson is proof that Roberts would be a big help.

I am a Roberts fan, I want him here as a #3. I see Kerley as a slot and I dont want him working from the outside. We need ti draft our #1 and #2. Roberts would be great behind them and also can return punts.

Archived