What exactly IS Idzik's FA plan?

MexiRoll6

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok lets start on the defensive side of the football.

We let Cro go he was our starting CB. We could have replaced him with Revis the best in the game or Verner or Talib.

Safety we experimented with the aging Ed Reed Dawan Landry JAG Antonio Allen needs help we could have added Byrd,Whitner or Ward.

We needed an OLB pass rusher we opted for Calvin Pace and passed on DeMarcus Ware.

Offensively speaking

OL we let Howard walk there were a few decent guys avalilable we signed a JAG Giacomini.

We had the worst WRs in the NFL last season we cut Holmes and signed Decker but Decker cant do it alone we need 1-2 immediate NFL worthy WRs Nicks,Sanders,Austin.Britt.

We didn't resign Winslow who when he was on the field last season was a beast. We signed Cumberland but still need another TE we signed no body.

Ok, so you added 26M against the cap just on defense for one year in 3 players.  And, that's low only because Byrd gave a very cheap year to sign with New Orleans, and his cap number balloons by 7 million the following year.  That's 1 Million less than we currently have on the cap.... Plus, as you've said repeatedly about other guys we've brought in, why would we want them since another team "let them walk."

Drop Sanchez and we have 9 million again.  Lets say we replace him with a 3M back-up, despite you not provide a name.  That's 6M to sign a #2, a TE (Pettigrew would have been 4M), and our rookies.  Also, we still haven't resigned Colon or another guard.

So, your plan puts us over the cap quickly.

And still, who's the QB that gets us there?  Geno Smith?  If it's a FA, well, he's going to be more than 3M.

Your plan is madden franchise mode at best, and it doesn't make us a super bowl contender.

Ok, so you added 26M against the cap just on defense for one year in 3 players.  And, that's low only because Byrd gave a very cheap year to sign with New Orleans, and his cap number balloons by 7 million the following year.  That's 1 Million less than we currently have on the cap.... Plus, as you've said repeatedly about other guys we've brought in, why would we want them since another team "let them walk."

Drop Sanchez and we have 9 million again.  Lets say we replace him with a 3M back-up, despite you not provide a name.  That's 6M to sign a #2, a TE (Pettigrew would have been 4M), and our rookies.  Also, we still haven't resigned Colon or another guard.

So, your plan puts us over the cap quickly.

And still, who's the QB that gets us there?  Geno Smith?  If it's a FA, well, he's going to be more than 3M.

Your plan is madden franchise mode at best, and it doesn't make us a super bowl contender.

Im not a numbers guy but it seems New England,Denver and NY Giants has one.  Theres a lot of creative financing going on this free agency just not by John Idzik and the Jets. I didn't say to sign all those players did I?

Im not a numbers guy but it seems New England,Denver and NY Giants has one. Theres a lot of creative financing going on this free agency just not by John Idzik and the Jets. I didn't say to sign all those players did I?

This is such a cop-out. You explicitly said to sign them all. Now you didn't.

Im not a numbers guy but it seems New England,Denver and NY Giants has one.  Theres a lot of creative financing going on this free agency just not by John Idzik and the Jets. I didn't say to sign all those players did I?

Obviously you're not a numbers guy.  But, signing everyone is exactly what you implied.

Also, the more "creative" you get with your financing, the more that means back-loading deals to hurt you in the long run.

Obviously you're not a numbers guy.  But, signing everyone is exactly what you implied.

Also, the more "creative" you get with your financing, the more that means back-loading deals to hurt you in the long run.

No its not what I implied you misunderstood. What is my plan I gave you multiple scenarios.

This is an argument that means nothing the Jets weren't as active as I wish they would have been this free agency period with all the money they had.

The Jets somehow fall asleep at the wheel and many say they don't truly understand the meaning of the draft and Im not sure Idzik knows the the meaning of free agency.

No its not what I implied you misunderstood. What is my plan I gave you multiple scenarios.

This is an argument that means nothing the Jets weren't as active as I wish they would have been this free agency period with all the money they had.

The Jets somehow fall asleep at the wheel and many say they don't truly understand the meaning of the draft and Im not sure Idzik knows the the meaning of free agency.

You didn't give multiple scenarios... You listed a bunch of names.  I asked you for a plan that could make us a contender this year.  You punted.

This might be the best answer of all time.

What a maroon.

Says a guy with 168 posts.

Check out my history.

Every single one of them is quality, you most certainly can't say that.

According to you. Amazing how Jets fans feel the need to attack each other on a message board over varied opinions.

I didn't attack you, I called you a coconut cookie.

Jesse-Pinkman-Breaking-Bad-Drinking-Wate

Tony Gonzales is retired that site is bogus.

Gonzales is not officially retired yet. He has yet to fill out the paperwork and the Falcons had to cut him. I bet about halfway through the season if a contender needs a TE he will make a comeback.

This sums it up.

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/calvin-pace-re-signs-with-the-jets/

After Pace collecting 10 sacks for Jets in 2013, the team should be able to manufacture more sacks out of their veteran group again in 2014.  Pace will push for time on the edge along with Antwan Barnes, who will be back this year after a season-ending injury in 2013.  Even though the team has now re-signed Pace the talent at the edge is still thin, so look to see if the Jets don’t add linebacker / defensive ends in the middle rounds of the NFL Draft in May as longer-term and depth solutions.

While there were some tempting veteran edge players like DeMarcus Ware and Julius Peppers that were on the market shortly, none seemed interested in coming to New York.  After letting DRC and a number of players walk without contracts, it’s hard to not feel frustrated with John Idzik’s slow-playing of free agency.  So far the Jets have done more in re-signing or cutting their own players over to bringing new players into the organization.  

The problem with the 2013 team was that it needed more talent to compete for a playoff spot.  So far, the team doesn’t seem substantially better than it was after almost a week into free agency outside the Eric Decker signing.  95% of the top 50 free agents have signed with clubs.  Little top-tier talent remains, are the Jets going to make a few calculated risks?

No one is suggesting that the Jets should throw good money after bad contracts.  But comparing the amount of cap space the team has to the level of talent the team has imported thus far?  As best I can tell, the natives are getting restless …

On the same blog, they were begging fans for patience just a few days ago. Now here we are.

Its simple.

-Build through the draft.

-Sign two types of free agents. 27 or younger that can be solid all around. Or less expensive veterans who can contribute.

-Carry over as much cap as possible so that the team can be ready for the run in 2 years when the good drafting starts to pay off.

Archived