Tomlin let off the hook, for Jacoby Jones incident.

eboozer

Darn, was hoping we'd be moving up to #17. NFL has too much respect for the Rooney's to screw them over.

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Pittsburgh Steelers president Art Rooney II says the NFL has told the team it will not be docked a pick in this year's draft for coach Mike Tomlin's foray onto the field against Baltimore last November.

Tomlin was fined $100,000 for stepping onto the field during a lengthy kickoff return by Baltimore's Jacoby Jones during a loss to the Ravens on Thanksgiving night. The league said at the time of the penalty it would consider taking away a pick in May's draft once the draft order was established.

The Steelers finished 8-8 and narrowly missed the postseason, leaving the team with the 15th pick in the first round of the draft.

So should we have been docked a pick because of Sal Alosi? It's not exactly the same, but the Jets got fined 100k as well for a similar incident.

Alosi wasn't the head coach. It makes a difference.

Also the team suspended him, probably at the league's unofficial behest, so the league wouldn't have to take action on its own.

Tomlin got fined, which was appropriate. But there's little doubt that when a HC does something like this that it should carry greater weight than a strength & conditioning coach.

Alosi wasn't the head coach. It makes a difference.

Also the team suspended him, probably at the league's unofficial behest, so the league wouldn't have to take action on its own.

Tomlin got fined, which was appropriate. But there's little doubt that when a HC does something like this that it should carry greater weight than a strength & conditioning coach.

That's a good point, but I still don't really know if docking a draft pick is necessarily warranted because of it. I was just thinking of the Sal Alosi thing since it seemed the closest thing to a precedent.

So should we have been docked a pick because of Sal Alosi? It's not exactly the same, but the Jets got fined 100k as well for a similar incident.

1 in the field of play vs. 1 outside the field of play.

Yeah I know, player was still involved in live play, but, Tomlin way worse.

If Evans gets taken @ #17, I'll be pissed. :winking0001:

That's a good point, but I still don't really know if docking a draft pick is necessarily warranted because of it. I was just thinking of the Sal Alosi thing since it seemed the closest thing to a precedent.

Basically the only difference between the Alosi and Tomlin incidents is that Alosi's attempt succeeded.  Meanwhile, Alosi was immediately blackballed from the NFL after what he did, while the NFL did everything in its power to ignore the Tomlin incident.  Not particularly surprising though, that's pretty much how the NFL always does business; make examples of the nobodies and all but pardon the big names.

Basically the only difference between the Alosi and Tomlin incidents is that Alosi's attempt succeeded.  Meanwhile, Alosi was immediately blackballed from the NFL after what he did, while the NFL did everything in its power to ignore the Tomlin incident.  Not particularly surprising though, that's pretty much how the NFL always does business; make examples of the nobodies and all but pardon the big names.

No way.  Goodell doesn't operate like that.  That's why he made the NE tapes public instead of destroying them privately.

Archived