Tanny would trade up

77DRAFT

I think it's interesting because they seem to be polar opposites in some ways but when you look deeper, both are risk takers. Tanny risked his stars getting hurt and having no depth, while idzik risks his scratch and dent specials not stepping up, improving or even making the team

I think (hope) idzik is taking an approach that factors in the stages of development of the team. He has gone from bringing in classic jag hold the fort guys to more legitimate players, complimentary players

I suspect his play is to step it up next year and open the checkbook in the hopes of lining up a supporting cast with a decent QB

that's why I think he goes for a QB like murray or mettenberger or savage this year.

IMO ... Tannys big mistake (and I am no tanny fan ) was pairing a terrible rookie QB with a win now team.,. I honestly believe had they held Favre hostage and paid him big that we win the SB in 2009... that team was soo good while the QB was so bad .. such a shame ...

I'm not even sure what the point of all these Tanny bashing threads are. Idzik doesn't become great because Tanny traded up to try and trade for a franchise QB ( key word: try) and to land Darrelle Revis (of course a horrible, horrible move to land the best player to ever wear a Jet uniform).

The difference in trading up in 2007 was that was very much a top-heavy draft.  After the first 50-ish players, the talent dropped off a cliff (and I remember that being the general feeling at the time).  Traded up for Revis, then traded up again for Harris.  But look at that draft in hindsight.  How many players after the Harris pick became starters? Fewer than most, and fewer than this year's draft is expected to yield.  Tannenbaum gets killed for only drafting 2 players in the first 5 rounds, considering he went into that draft with two 2nd-rounders, but both were starters and one was an all-time great.

This year is similar to last year, except the very top is stronger in this one.  So trading up cost less (and trading down yielded less) than in prior seasons.  We'll find out soon enough, but I'd expect the same thing this year.  So if the Jets did trade up, it theoretically would cost less than the chart says (at least in those first few rounds).  But that's only because more picks are coveted in a deep draft like this.

IMO ... Tannys big mistake (and I am no tanny fan ) was pairing a terrible rookie QB with a win now team.,. I honestly believe had they held Favre hostage and paid him big that we win the SB in 2009... that team was soo good while the QB was so bad .. such a shame ...

no doubt.  the QB situtation was awful.  having no decent back up to turn to was icing on the cake

Mike Tannenbaum would have spent the entire second day of the draft trying to wrap his head around the fact he couldn't trade these compensatory picks. Then saying **** it and letting Geno fill out the card so he has a bunk buddy like Scotty McKnight.

What are you talking about? He was showing how the Jets like to use picks on WRs. This way he could come out with his deadly, vertical passing attack.  Pitch & catch with Mark Sanchez and Scotty McKnight.

Mike Tannenbaum would have spent the entire second day of the draft trying to wrap his head around the fact he couldn't trade these compensatory picks. Then saying **** it and letting Geno fill out the card so he has a bunk buddy like Scotty McKnight.

Sounds like you're trying to be funny. 'Trying to'

Idzik is almost guaranteed to move up at least once (if not more) in this draft.    I don't know about rd 1, but the Jets will be trading picks to move up.  

I could definitely see them going up in rd 2 to get a Safety.

Could happen if the price is right, I think he might trade a pick for a veteran

player, would love to trade up in the first past the hated Giants, Pittsburg and

BaLt ... at this point I wish we lost a couple of more games last year,

Could happen if the price is right, I think he might trade a pick for a veteran

player, would love to trade up in the first past the hated Giants, Pittsburg and

BaLt ... at this point I wish we lost a couple of more games last year,

Agree that is also a good possibility.

But fans of every team who didn't make the playoffs - and many of those that did - wishes that in hindsight.

I think unless you're literally doing a unique Suck for Luck thing, where you're not going anywhere that season anyway, and have a real shot at a rare #1 pick, it's hard to advocate for that so far in advance.  Especially when breaking in a rookie QB.  You can't really stack things so he loses.  If it goes down that way, where he does ok but the defense still causes losses, then so be it.  But losses are bad and you can't have the team get used to them, or accept them with a shoulder shrug like our last QB, "Yeah, we gotta find a way to get better...coupla throws I wish I had back...yaaaaaaawn."  They need to hate losing.

(But yes, all other things being equal, it is better to have higher picks than a lower ones).

At this point, I wish we lost a fan...you!

At this point, I wish we lost a fan...you!

I get that a lot, I piss off other fans but Rex gets me, and Idzik would never

listen to a fan, not like Parcells and Tanny. Most of my post go over pretty well,

with Tanny that is!

I get that a lot, I piss off other fans but Rex gets me, and Idzik would never

listen to a fan, not like Parcells and Tanny. Most of my post go over pretty well,

with Tanny that is!

Rex, Parcells n Tanny would lose games just to get a higher draft pick? The hell u smoking?

Rex, Parcells n Tanny would lose games just to get a higher draft pick? The hell u smoking?

It's not the weed; it's the use of urine for bong water.  Really messes people up in the head.

Someone with a Parcells-sized ego would never lose a game on purpose unless he knew it was screwing someone over that he hated.

Rex would never throw a game even for that reason.

Tannenbaum I could see wanting to, but it's not like he'd have any control over doing so.  He could maybe control throwing a season, and he'd never do that on purpose.  Not with our local press up here.

Rex and Parcells listen to fans, take their advice, I don't think Rex would throw a game,

parcells you never know, I only wish Rex knew Parcells as well as I do.

Archived