Cimini article - looking for the next "snacks"

faba

Looking for the next 'Snacks'
July, 1, 2014
JUL 1
8:00
AM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
The great thing about football -- and sports in general -- is that occasionally a player comes along that wasn't supposed to make it. We're talking about the guy that confounds the draft experts and the scouts, the guy that arrives through the back door and never leaves the party. 

The New York Jets had a player like that last year, nose tackle Damon Harrison, who made the team as an undrafted rookie in 2012 and won a starting job a year later. At this time last year, no one knew anything about him other than his classic nickname -- "Big Snacks." 

Will there be a "Big Snacks" in 2014? We examine five possibilities: 

Rontez Miles, safety: He was undrafted out of California (Pa.) in 2013, spending last season on the practice squad. Miles is a poor man's Calvin Pryor, a vicious hitter with keen instincts. He underwent hip surgery after the season and he's just starting to round into shape. Look for him to make a move in training camp. 

T.J. Barnes, defensive tackle: At 6-foot-7, 360 pounds, he's so big that you need a GPS to find your way around him. Barnes, undrafted out of Georgia Tech in 2013, spent most of last season on the practice squad after getting cut by the Jacksonville Jaguars. He worked with the second-team defense in minicamp. 

Colin Anderson, tight end: He made a couple of plays in minicamp. At 6-foot-4, 240 pounds, he's definitely more of a receiver than a blocker. He came out of Furman, undrafted, and was cut by the Minnesota Vikings. He spent last season on the Jets' practice squad. Anderson is a direct descendant of Gen. Robert C. Anderson, who was captain and in command of the Union forces at Fort Sumter at the start of the Civil War. 

Dalton Freeman, center: Another former practice-squadder, Freeman won't play unless something happens to Nick Mangold -- and that wouldn't be a good thing. Freeman is smart and durable, and it doesn't hurt that he was a free agent from Clemson, where Rex Ryan's youngest son goes to school. 

Jeremy Reeves, cornerback: Dude is small, only 5-foot-8, 156 pounds, but he can cover. He went undrafted out of Iowa State in 2013 because he tore a pectoral muscle a month before the draft, but he performed at the school's 2014 pro day and impressed the Jets' scouts. As the lottery folks say, hey, you never know.

Cimini just compiled a list of 2nd year UDFA with the team.  Miles is probably a decent choice.  He was active for at least a game or two last year until they shuffled him back to the practice squad when Winslow came back and then they had signed Reed. TJ Barnes seems like he can be a rotational player, but I would not count on him being an every down player even if he works out.  I'd think it possible he can give us what Ellis did in 2013.  I would imagine the midget CB is a practice squad candidate.  Anderson will probably be competing with Pantale and Sudfeld for the #3 TE.  It will be interesting if they want somebody that can block because it appears that Cumberland is the best blocker on the team.  Interesting that he ignored Sudfeld who has a shot, though he will be losing his reps to Amaro.

Cimini just compiled a list of 2nd year UDFA with the team.  Miles is probably a decent choice.  He was active for at least a game or two last year until they shuffled him back to the practice squad when Winslow came back and then they had signed Reed. TJ Barnes seems like he can be a rotational player, but I would not count on him being an every down player even if he works out.  I'd think it possible he can give us what Ellis did in 2013.  I would imagine the midget CB is a practice squad candidate.  Anderson will probably be competing with Pantale and Sudfeld for the #3 TE.  It will be interesting if they want somebody that can block because it appears that Cumberland is the best blocker on the team.  Interesting that he ignored Sudfeld who has a shot, though he will be losing his reps to Amaro.

Yeah, and it's an interesting list as, given their positions, it's not particularly likely any of these guys are going to get themselves any significant playing time.  Freeman is probably the only one, if he were to slide over to guard, that would be at a position that could potentially see some real action.  Even then, I doubt he'd be getting himself ahead of all of Winters, Aboushi, Campbell, Ijalana, and Dozier for that to happen.

Miles will find himself behind, at minimum, Pryor, Landry, and Allen.  Barnes will be behind Harrison and Ellis.  And like you said, Anderson will be just trying to compete for the last roster spot at TE.  The most we'd likely see from any of these guys will be if Miles or Reeves can be consistent contributors on special teams.  Not to say the Jets couldn't have an unexpected breakout this year, but given the positions of these players, and the fact that those same positions are mostly filled with at least one mid-to-high Idzik draft pick, I doubt it will be one of these guys.  Fair or not, there will probably be much more potential for players that are at positions that aren't against "Idzik guys".

Yeah, and it's an interesting list as, given their positions, it's not particularly likely any of these guys are going to get themselves any significant playing time.  Freeman is probably the only one, if he were to slide over to guard, that would be at a position that could potentially see some real action.  Even then, I doubt he'd be getting himself ahead of all of Winters, Aboushi, Campbell, Ijalana, and Dozier for that to happen.

Miles will find himself behind, at minimum, Pryor, Landry, and Allen.  Barnes will be behind Harrison and Ellis.  And like you said, Anderson will be just trying to compete for the last roster spot at TE.  The most we'd likely see from any of these guys will be if Miles or Reeves can be consistent contributors on special teams.  Not to say the Jets couldn't have an unexpected breakout this year, but given the positions of these players, and the fact that those same positions are mostly filled with at least one mid-to-high Idzik draft pick, I doubt it will be one of these guys.  Fair or not, there will probably be much more potential for players that are at positions that aren't against "Idzik guys".

I think the same way, but going into 2013 wouldn't defensive line be the last place that you'd expect a breakout UDFA to make it?  The Jets cut Garay who loooked good in camp and had Harrison leapfrog Kenrick Ellis. 

I think the same way, but going into 2013 wouldn't defensive line be the last place that you'd expect a breakout UDFA to make it?  The Jets cut Garay who loooked good in camp and had Harrison leapfrog Kenrick Ellis. 

Fair point.  I had kind of forgotten about Garay, so I was initially thinking of NT as the exception to the rule along the DL heading into last year, but I guess that wasn't necessarily the case.  Should be interesting to see though, and hopefully the Jets have a few other unexpected surprises waiting for them this year.  Plus, even if they do have guys like that who can't quite break through to the starting lineup, that's still only to the benefit of the team as it says something for the players ahead of them on the depth chart, as well as improving the overall depth.

No Sudfeld? The addition of Amaro obviously lowers the chances of a true breakout from baby gronk, but you never know.

Sudfeld, nicknamed "Sasquatch" by Ryan is reportedly the best in-line option we have right now (blocking wise). I'm thinking he'll not only make it, but get some redzone looks this year in double TE sets. We're strong at TE depth.

Archived