Thoughts after watching...

CobraVerde

Watched the game again. Here are some positives:

Geno did a lot better than i thought he did. Its the way he was going through his progressions, the little things he is doing that set him miles apart from where he was at this time last year.

Amaro looked good. STephen Hill got on the stat sheet with a nice catch and seemed to block very well.

Powell played like he deserved an extension.

Chris Johnson play gives me something to look forward to.

Pryor is going to be a terror in this league.

IPK makes this team.

And we have talent on our D line  ..  abundant talent. But the next saddest thing to having a D backfield that's going to give up a ton of yards and points is NOT having a pass rusher that could mask some of that deficiency.

Not addressing the need for a very good edge pass rusher is pretty egregious for a defensive genius.  We need more than the Coples experiment and marginal castoffs. 

After re-watching the game I really saw some good play from Geno. Nelson screwed up the hot route which led to the pick and Stephen hill dropped a pass that was thrown right at his chest after getting hit. Geno's only true mistake was the first play of the game when he overthrew Nelson.

1st TD pass of the game the Bengals had a 2 WR route and 8 man protection.   

The jets had 6 DB's covering 2 WR's and somehow WIlson had no help.   One of the safety's had to have whiffed on that coverage - 6 vs 2 shoujld be a no-brainer.  

Buttle made the same comment during the game. Said Wilson had good coverage, but the safety was late. It's just frustrating as hell will Wilson. Guy was running stride for stride with the receiver, but just has absolute zero ball awareness. If he could've gotten his head around, or correctly read the receiver's eyes, he was in position to swat that ball away without help. 

After re-watching the game I really saw some good play from Geno. Nelson screwed up the hot route which led to the pick and Stephen hill dropped a pass that was thrown right at his chest after getting hit. Geno's only true mistake was the first play of the game when he overthrew Nelson.

I guess he was expecting Nelson to run fast? 

I'm with the few who don't believe Nelson is a lock to make the team. I'd like to see Enunwa get on the field this week. Maybe see Salas in a larger role. 

The jets had 6 DB's covering 2 WR's and somehow WIlson had no help. One of the safety's had to have whiffed on that coverage - 6 vs 2 shoujld be a no-brainer.

Thats not exactly true. They had 5 on the line and Harris had what looked like a delayed blitz assignment but broke it off because be thought they were going to dump it off to Bernard.

So they had 5 in coverage. Still pathetic. They rolled safety help over on AJ and it looked like Jarrett blew his assignment of giving help to Wilson over the top.

Some may call it semantics, but taking a shot over the middle and getting separated from the ball is a little bit different than a "drop".  Could he have held on?  Possibly, but before I watched the game and only saw the game thread I was under the impression that the ball just slipped throug his fingers...not a single mention of the defender that blasted him.

The jets had 6 DB's covering 2 WR's and somehow WIlson had no help.   One of the safety's had to have whiffed on that coverage - 6 vs 2 shoujld be a no-brainer.  

rex said that it was a blown coverage, sanu was supposed to be doubled

Thats not exactly true. They had 5 on the line and Harris had what looked like a delayed blitz assignment but broke it off because be thought they were going to dump it off to Bernard.

So they had 5 in coverage. Still pathetic. They rolled safety help over on AJ and it looked like Jarrett blew his assignment of giving help to Wilson over the top.

I'll re-watch that play but I paused it and ran it in slow motion.   The bengals had 9 men in the backfield and I counted 5 for the NYJ.    If Harris came late it's because he realized he had nobody to cover since they were all blocking.   

Either way, when the bengals have 9 in the backfield you have to cover for more than 2 seconds.   Wilson wasn't really in that bad of coverage assuming he has help over the top.    that is a pretty fixable error - more mental than physical.  

I'll re-watch that play but I paused it and ran it in slow motion. The bengals had 9 men in the backfield and I counted 5 for the NYJ. If Harris came late it's because he realized he had nobody to cover since they were all blocking.

Either way, when the bengals have 9 in the backfield you have to cover for more than 2 seconds. Wilson wasn't really in that bad of coverage assuming he has help over the top. that is a pretty fixable error - more mental than physical.

Looked like a missed assignment from Jarrett. He's not on the TV screen when the ball is caught and Landry is sprinting over from his help on AJ.

When I watch the play again, I think Jarrett

and Harris were expecting a screen pass but I can't see Jarrett. Maybe he bit hard on the play fake taking him out of position.

Unacceptable either way but easily corrected.

Archived