Facts on Rex. Thoughts...

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

Here are the facts as they relate to our offensive and defense performances during Rex's tenure as coach.  After reviewing these statistics please explain to me why there exists such a vocal group of Rex supporters as our HC.  

These are facts, not my opinion, relating to points scored and points given up as a team.  

• 2009:  Points scored - 17th at 21.8/game; Points allowed - 1st at 14.8/game.
  • 2010:  Points scored - 13th at 22.9/game; Points allowed - 6th at 19/game.
  • 2011:  Points scored - 13th at 23.6/game; Points allowed - 20th at 22.7/game.
  • 2012:  Points scored - 28th at 17.6/game; Points allowed - 20th at 23.4/game.
  • 2013:  Points scored - 29th at 18.1/game; Points allowed - 19th at 24/game.
  • 2014:  Points scored - 22nd at 19.8/game; Points allowed - 19th at 24/game.

Defensive genius?  He's been given a lot of weapons to deploy and his defense has gotten much, much worse.  

He's not a strong offensive coach (he has always maintained that he relies on his OC to handle that side of the ball), our special teams have fallen considerably since Westhoff left and his defensive performance has degraded significantly since he took over the team.  I'm not even going to mention his behavior (guaranteeing super bowls, footgate, middle finger in Miami, tatoo on wife, we own NYC, didn't know we weren't mathematically still alive, etc, etc, etc...

Please explain to me why there is such support for him as our HC.  This is his 6th year.  When is enough enough?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is well supported because he is a charismatic polarising coach with a reputation for good Defense, with that said the offense in his tenure has been absolutely unacceptable.

In recent years I've always maintained the same opinion, his Defense keeps us in games, it does not win them for us.

Anytime the offense wakes up and shows life you can be sure Rex Ryan's Defense will find a way to give up a 3rd and long or game killing drive.

He is well supported because he is a charismatic polarising coach with a reputation for good Defense, with that said the offense in his tenure has been absolutely unacceptable.

In recent years I've always maintained the same opinion, his Defense keeps us in games, it does not win them for us.

Anytime the offense wakes up and shows life you can be sure Rex Ryan's Defense will find a way to give up a 3rd and long or game killing drive.

in the alternative... whenever the jets offense shows life, the opposing team thinks "wow, didn't expect that, I guess we need to be more aggressive on offense now." even when rex was at ravens, those were also low scoring offenses. i wonder how much of his reputation as a defensive genius is built on the fact that opposing teams don't fear the offense and thus play ball control.

I think he's lost a ton of games in the fourth quarter becuase he's regularly saddled with a turnover machine at QB who can't move the ball which leads to his defense being on the field non-stop.  This year is different.  They're  moving the ball enough to give the defense a breather, but Idzik refused to bring in CB's to cover anyone.  Think about it, this defense has fifteen sacks against four mobile QB's despite the fac tthat the secondary can't cover anyone.  Those are my thoughts.

in the alternative... whenever the jets offense shows life, the opposing team thinks "wow, didn't expect that, I guess we need to be more aggressive on offense now." even when rex was at ravens, those were also low scoring offenses. i wonder how much of his reputation as a defensive genius is built on the fact that opposing teams don't fear the offense and thus play ball control.

I'm a big Rex fan for reasons I'm unsure lol!

Either way the balance is never quite right, we either can't move the ball on offense and play good enough D to keep us in games, or we move the ball and play decent offense and get smoked on D like Sunday.

It is a myth that he is a defensive wizard.

He is a fraud who knows how to build a statistically good defense.

Please tell me the last time or anytime his NYJ D made a big time stop to win a game, prevent a go ahead score, force OT. I honestly cant remember.

During crunch time they smell like a Cleveland steamer.

Please tell me the last time or anytime his NYJ D made a big time stop to win a game, prevent a go ahead score, force OT. I honestly cant remember.

The last game I can remember beating my chest over a big defensive stop at a critical time was Atlanta last year when we stopped them on 4th down on the 1 before the half.

Harrier already mentioned the Atlanta game, but after that they faced Drew Brees and the Saints.  Brees and the Saints had the ball, down by six, two minute offense...stuffed by Rex's defense and the Jets hold on for the 26-20 win.

Oh, had to go back and check the box score to confirm this one in case I was mistaken, but last year when they played the Patriots, Brady and the Pats had the ball first in overtime...Jets forced a punt and went on to score and win that game too.

Other that than the three times they did it last season, I can't think of any either.

The only stat that really matters is W-L.  He started 24-14.  Since then he's 23-29 with an offense that has been about as close to dreadful as you can get and a defense that is in clear decline.  

Again, I'm waiting for someone to give me some legitimate reasons why this is the guy to bring us to the promised land.

We all want to win and win big.  Win the division.  Get home playoff games.  Win in the playoffs.  Win a Supe.

Do you genuinely believe that Rex will deliver that.

I do not.  We have to move on.

Even though they sucked so it's not as big a deal as doing it to Brady, Ryan, and Breese, they also beat the Bills by 7 last year when the Bills had the ball with 2:00 left and a chance to tie.  The Jets stopped them, then went 3 and out and stopped them again.  For a team that only won a few games last season, their defense had to get the "last stop" several times and did it.  So strange that Jets fans say it never happens.

The only stat that really matters is W-L.  He started 24-14.  Since then he's 23-29 with an offense that has been about as close to dreadful as you can get and a defense that is in clear decline.  

Again, I'm waiting for someone to give me some legitimate reasons why this is the guy to bring us to the promised land.

We all want to win and win big.  Win the division.  Get home playoff games.  Win in the playoffs.  Win a Supe.

The honest answer to that is that some fans take in to consideration the talent level on the roster while considering wins and losses.  Others clearly feel that it is the only thing that matters is the result.  No situation, condition or adversity should be taken in to consideration when evaluating an outcome. 

Others, like myself, take everything in to consideration and say things like "what do I believe most NFL coaches would accomplish with Rex Ryan's Roster"?  To many of us,  the answer is that thye'd win 4-7 games every single year.  Rex gets the most out of what he has, and for me personlly, that's all I can ask of a coach. 

The honest answer to that is that some fans take in to consideration the talent level on the roster while considering wins and losses.  Others clearly feel that it is the only thing that matters is the result.  No situation, condition or adversity should be taken in to consideration when evaluating an outcome. 

Others, like myself, take everything in to consideration and say things like "what do I believe most NFL coaches would accomplish with Rex Ryan's Roster"?  To many of us,  the answer is that thye'd win 4-7 games every single year.  Rex gets the most out of what he has, and for me personlly, that's all I can ask of a coach. 

Can I ask, what do you think Rex is doing that gets him more wins than most NFL coaches? I ask because I think he wanted the exact team he has, which is a stop the run type team, of course he would like better CB's, but he wants to play close ugly football and come out on top.

The way the team is built, they are always going to play close games, when you do that, you will probably win more than it might seem like you should based on star power.

Personally, I like Rex, but I am not as sold that he is some mastermind. The Ravens D was great before and after him. The Jets D was great in 09, very good in 10, and has been average ever since.

He beat the Pats and Colts in the playoffs, but so did Sanchez, and we all think QB is more important than HC.

I love Rex, but I am starting to question whether I like the fact that he feels like a Jet fan on the sidelines, or if I really think he is a good coach.

It's hard for the D not to give up points when the O goes 3 and out or has turnovers through out the whole game.

Why? That is just another excuse.

If Rex's defenses where so "elite" they would create 3-and outs, force turnovers or make game-changing plays regardless what the offense does.

Can I ask, what do you think Rex is doing that gets him more wins than most NFL coaches? I ask because I think he wanted the exact team he has, which is a stop the run type team, of course he would like better CB's, but he wants to play close ugly football and come out on top.

The way the team is built, they are always going to play close games, when you do that, you will probably win more than it might seem like you should based on star power.

Personally, I like Rex, but I am not as sold that he is some mastermind. The Ravens D was great before and after him. The Jets D was great in 09, very good in 10, and has been average ever since.

He beat the Pats and Colts in the playoffs, but so did Sanchez, and we all think QB is more important than HC.

I love Rex, but I am starting to question whether I like the fact that he feels like a Jet fan on the sidelines, or if I really think he is a good coach.

The fact that they won road playoff games on the road against HOF QB's with Sanchez at the helm should carry enough weight on its own.  He brought a knife to a gun fight and won..several times.

What I think he's doing that other coaches don't do is scheme.  The number of times we've seen great QB's completely baffled by what he puts out there gives me confidence in him.  He's beaten same damn good teams, with some horrible quarterbacks to work with in a league that demands good QB play.  The fact that he hasn't been able to do it on a more regular basis is absolutley maddening, but how many coaches are great from the outset?  Most great coaches get fired a time or two before they "figure it out".  I think that's what's going to happen to Rex.  He's an imperfect coach, I fully acknowledge that and there are times when he drives me crazy.  Do I think that means he should be stripped of his decision-making authority and handed a terrible roster?  No, I don't.  I think you give your coach the authoirity to coach and fire him if you don't like his decisons.

Right now, based on the Jets' secondary and the opponents they've faced, on paper, they should be getting blown out regularly.  Instead, they're always within one score, and are on pace for sixty sacks despite having played mobile/scrambling QB's.  I don't know how many coaches can do that.

Here are the facts as they relate to our offensive and defense performances during Rex's tenure as coach. After reviewing these statistics please explain to me why there exists such a vocal group of Rex supporters as our HC.

These are facts, not my opinion, relating to points scored and points given up as a team.

• 2009: Points scored - 17th at 21.8/game; Points allowed - 1st at 14.8/game.
  • 2010: Points scored - 13th at 22.9/game; Points allowed - 6th at 19/game.
  • 2011: Points scored - 13th at 23.6/game; Points allowed - 20th at 22.7/game.
  • 2012: Points scored - 28th at 17.6/game; Points allowed - 20th at 23.4/game.
  • 2013: Points scored - 29th at 18.1/game; Points allowed - 19th at 24/game.
  • 2014: Points scored - 22nd at 19.8/game; Points allowed - 19th at 24/game.

Defensive genius? He's been given a lot of weapons to deploy and his defense has gotten much, much worse.

He's not a strong offensive coach (he has always maintained that he relies on his OC to handle that side of the ball), our special teams have fallen considerably since Westhoff left and his defensive performance has degraded significantly since he took over the team. I'm not even going to mention his behavior (guaranteeing super bowls, footgate, middle finger in Miami, tatoo on wife, we own NYC, didn't know we weren't mathematically still alive, etc, etc, etc...

Please explain to me why there is such support for him as our HC. This is his 6th year. When is enough enough?

do these numbers include INTs run back for TD and fumbles by the offense inside the Jets' own 30?

The fact that they won road playoff games on the road against HOF QB's with Sanchez at the helm should carry enough weight on its own.  He brought a knife to a gun fight and won..several times.

What I think he's doing that other coaches don't do is scheme.  The number of times we've seen great QB's completely baffled by what he puts out there gives me confidence in him.  He's beaten same damn good teams, with some horrible quarterbacks to work with in a league that demands good QB play.  The fact that he hasn't been able to do it on a more regular basis is absolutley maddening, but how many coaches are great from the outset?  Most great coaches get fired a time or two before they "figure it out".  I think that's what's going to happen to Rex.  He's an imperfect coach, I fully acknowledge that and there are times when he drives me crazy.  Do I think that means he should be stripped of his decision-making authority and handed a terrible roster?  No, I don't.  I think you give your coach the authoirity to coach and fire him if you don't like his decisons.

Right now, based on the Jets' secondary and the opponents they've faced, on paper, they should be getting blown out regularly.  Instead, they're always within one score, and are on pace for sixty sacks despite having played mobile/scrambling QB's.  I don't know how many coaches can do that.

To play devils advocate, Sanchez outplayed Brady in that playoff game....

I don't think anyone believes Sanchez is a starting QB in the league.

Personally, I think we have all put too much stock in one big playoff win. It was a great one, truly great, he did a masterful job of stopping Brady in that game, but man, he is living off that one win because he has not really done a whole lot since.

His teams got worse, of course their is going to be downward trend statistically.

Rex has run his course, that is for sure.

Its time for a serious do-over. Its time to get rid of Rex and the dope Idzik if this season progresses the way it has so far. Woody needs to get his head out of his ass and bring in some people who can make good football decisions, and let them do it without meddling.

Yeah lets hire a first time HC with some offensive chops.  Guaranteed SB.

Its time for a serious do-over. Its time to get rid of Rex and the dope Idzik if this season progresses the way it has so far. Woody needs to get his head out of his ass and bring in some people who can make good football decisions, and let them do it without meddling.

Yes it is.  Blow the whole thing up, besides the players on contract and start over form scratch.  None of this holding on to specific people, bull sh*t. Clean slate.  Everyone goes.  Get some people with experience in here and hope for the best. 

Problem is, I dont think Woody cares enough about winning to do it.

do these numbers include INTs run back for TD and fumbles by the offense inside the Jets' own 30?

I'd ask if the Points Scored included INTs run back for TDs and recovered fumbles inside the 30 but the Jets D doesn't create turnovers.

Yes it is.  Blow the whole thing up, besides the players on contract and start over form scratch.  None of this holding on to specific people, bull sh*t. Clean slate.  Everyone goes.  Get some people with experience in here and hope for the best. 

Completely agree, unfortunately. Woody is the biggest problem with the Jets.

People complain that we are cursed, and Namath sold his soul.

BS, we have been saddled with horrible ownership for 40+ years, as simple as that.

Stop...  Idzik isn't going anywhere for at least a couple years.  You really think Woody wants to Korn Ferry 2, Electric Boogaloo.

Recline that beach chair, spark your pinner, and go with the flow brah..  Idzik and Rex will be here awhile.

Stop...  Idzik isn't going anywhere for at least a couple years.  You really think Woody wants to Korn Ferry 2, Electric Boogaloo.

Recline that beach chair, spark your pinner, and go with the flow brah..  Idzik and Rex will be here awhile.

Rex is gone after this season.  Idzik?  You're probably right, unfortunately.  He gets another year to two to destroy the roster. 

To play devils advocate, Sanchez outplayed Brady in that playoff game....

I don't think anyone believes Sanchez is a starting QB in the league.

Personally, I think we have all put too much stock in one big playoff win. It was a great one, truly great, he did a masterful job of stopping Brady in that game, but man, he is living off that one win because he has not really done a whole lot since.

Sanchez outplayed Brady because of Rex's defense.  Brady said as much in an interview sometime after.  He said he was frustrated watching the film becuase he was able to see on film, what he wasn't able to see in the game.  The packages the Jets used stifled him.  When you can design a defense so well that it allows Mark Sanchez to outplay Tom Brady...you can't do any better than that.

Rex is gone after this season.  Idzik?  You're probably right, unfortunately.  He gets another year to two to destroy the roster. 

Idzik doesn't bother me yet.  I'm sure he presented a multi year plan to Woody which is why Woody preached patience at the start.  I can understand being pragmatic in FA until you really know what you have at QB. 

Patterson and Goodson were embarrassments that deserve criticism but on the other hand I don't think overpaying Emmanuel Sanders or Ro Cro was going to make that much of a difference at this point. 

Idzik doesn't bother me yet.  I'm sure he presented a multi year plan to Woody which is why Woody preached patience at the start.  I can understand being pragmatic in FA until you really know what you have at QB. 

Patterson and Goodson were embarrassments that deserve criticism but on the other hand I don't think overpaying Emmanuel Sanders or Ro Cro was going to make that much of a difference at this point. 

I think not properly addressing the CB situation this offseason was a tragic mistake if you even bothered to gaze at the schedule of QB's the Jets faced before the bye week.  Especially considering the Head Coach he decided to retain, the system he runs and the value he places on cover corners.  I think not giving your young QB some viable options in the passing game in a year you're supposedly evaluating him for the long term is absolutely moronic and irresponsible.  Thats the embarrassment that is John Idzik.  Not a couple of swing and misses on low end FA's who werent going to actually improve your team to begin with.

Sanchez outplayed Brady because of Rex's defense.  Brady said as much in an interview sometime after.  He said he was frustrated watching the film becuase he was able to see on film, what he wasn't able to see in the game.  The packages the Jets used stifled him.  When you can design a defense so well that it allows Mark Sanchez to outplay Tom Brady...you can't do any better than that.

Yeah, see, now you are are being a Rex lover.

Tom Brady through for 300 yards and through 2 TD passes in that game.

Sanchez through 3 TD passes, and completed 65% of his passes in that game.

Sanchez outplayed Brady who had a decent game, you act like Sanchez had 75 yards and no TD's and outplayed Brady because Rex held him to nothing. Its simply not true. As good as Rex was in that game, Sanchez was every bit as good.

We all just hate Sanchez and love Rex, but we cannot allow the facts to go ignored here.

Why? That is just another excuse.

If Rex's defenses where so "elite" they would create 3-and outs, force turnovers or make game-changing plays regardless what the offense does.

First off, **** off and go to your own teams page. Second, I never said they were elite. I said the Jets O is ******* awful and makes the D look worse then it is.

Not going after a QB in the draft really pissed me off, and made me question his whole plan.

You like Geno, fine, but you damn better have a backup plan for your QB. Vick, even if he wins games this year is not a solution.

So if Geno sucks, back to the drawing board again, develop a new QB, and on and on we go.

First off, **** off and go to your own teams page. Second, I never said they were elite. I said the Jets O is ******* awful and makes the D look worse then it is.

Seriously, exactly how does an offense have anything to do when the defense is on the field? They are mutually exclusive of each other.

If the defense did it's job, the offense is right back on the field.

Again, that is nothing more than an excuse for Rex's overrated defenses the last few years.

Seriously, exactly how does an offense have anything to do when the defense is on the field? They are mutually exclusive of each other.

If the defense did it's job, the offense is right back on the field.

Again, that is nothing more than an excuse for Rex's overrated defenses the last few years.

If you don't know the answer to that you should start watching another sport.

Archived