Kerley Deal

Obrien2Toon

I would have taken Thomas in the 2nd. I'm of the belief that Mornhinweg wanted Saunders. There really is no other explanation.

lol @ Marty Mornhinweg banging his fists on the table for a punt returner. 

With every passing week, my mind becomes blown more and more by how bad it went for us.

Need-based picks, not BPA. Forfeiting your mantra after one year is sad. Especially for a guy who was stubborn enough to hold his ground on negotiations to the point where it cost us corners in FA, but he couldn't stand behind his BPA mantra?

Watching 4 rounds of WRs re-define the receiver landscape of the NFL and not having a single one of them on this roster is the worst part. That, and the fact that Carr, Bridgewater and Bortles can play... ugh.

Either there's a plan to build the skill positions around the next coach, or Idzik just let himself get steamrolled by area scouts and assistant coaches and Tajh Boyd's homey's idiot father.

Somebody had to stump for Saunders.

There really is no other explanation. 

Either there's a plan to build the skill positions around the next coach, or Idzik just let himself get steamrolled by area scouts and assistant coaches and Tajh Boyd's homey's idiot father.

If Idzik went into this draft (and the rest of the offseason for that matter) thinking about the next coach, he should be fired simply for that. He had a coach that he retained. Wasting half his picks and sitting on a ton of cap space for when he finally gets to hire his guy? That's beyond incompetence. It's also sackless. 

There really is no other explanation.

If Idzik went into this draft (and the rest of the offseason for that matter) thinking about the next coach, he should be fired simply for that. He had a coach that he retained. Wasting half his picks and sitting on a ton of cap space for when he finally gets to hire his guy? That's beyond incompetence. It's also sackless.

"He" retained Rex with a one year extension. That was the sackless part. He drafted the "top rated safety" and what looks to be the best TE in the draft, and then a bunch of projects. If Idzik didn't think Rex was his coach, you're not giving him another QB, and you're not committing long-term dollars to man-coverage corners. Again, Idzik's next big problem will be getting control of the organization after Rex and his cronies are gone, and that includes beating back Woody.

The building blocks of every successful franchise.

I haaaaaaaated picking Pryor there, but I wanted Bridgewater. There were too many of those sh*thead draft gurus telling us that Benjamin was going to be slow and drop a million balls. I think the Amaro pick was a good one, especially considering Matthews was off the board.

I dont get the Kerley hate. The contract is about as bottom of the barrel as one can get for a veteran receiver unless you want a guy on a minimum contract. Kerley has skills and would probably do very well in another offense. He seems to have no connection with Geno Smith, but considering Smith looks done you have to hope that the next QB can get on the same page as him. But not really a contract worth complaining about. 

"He" retained Rex with a one year extension. That was the sackless part. He drafted the "top rated safety" and what looks to be the best TE in the draft, and then a bunch of projects. If Idzik didn't think Rex was his coach, you're not giving him another QB, and you're not committing long-term dollars to man-coverage corners. Again, Idzik's next big problem will be getting control of the organization after Rex and his cronies are gone, and that includes beating back Woody.

So, he didn't address any of the team needs because... Rex Ryan?  Make up your ******* mind.  Did he draft sh*tty players because Rex told him to, or because he is completing his master plan of getting Rex fired?  Seattle seems to have corners that could cover, why not at least try?  This team spent the entire 2nd half with Josh Thomas and Marcus Williams playing CB.  Neither of them were even on the team in September. It's a ******* disgrace.  They went into the off season with 3 NFL level CBs and at least 2 were JAGs.  They added McDougle and Patterson.  That would be borderline criminal for a team that didn't want to cover. 

Also.. Harvin.  Explain that.  $7M of all mighty cap space AFTER the season was lost.  It makes no sense. 

Probably. That was the year Saunders averaged 20 yards per catch and had 1000 yards.

Yeah, but McDonald was not there in 2011.  He came on board January 2012.  Saunders left May 2012.  McDonald is a Fresno guy though, so he probably went to all the games.  His coaching resume was 3 years HC at a Fresno HS, 2012 at DBs at Fresno State. 2013 Jets DB coach.  The guy could play, so it never seemed like a stretch, but that isn't much resume.  I was hoping it would help get his kid here. 

So, he didn't address any of the team needs because... Rex Ryan?  Make up your ******* mind.  Did he draft sh*tty players because Rex told him to, or because he is completing his master plan of getting Rex fired?  Seattle seems to have corners that could cover, why not at least try?  This team spent the entire 2nd half with Josh Thomas and Marcus Williams playing CB.  Neither of them were even on the team in September. It's a ******* disgrace.  They went into the off season with 3 NFL level CBs and at least 2 were JAGs.  They added McDougle and Patterson.  That would be borderline criminal for a team that didn't want to cover. 

Also.. Harvin.  Explain that.  $7M of all mighty cap space AFTER the season was lost.  It makes no sense. 

I don't think he wanted to give older corners any money, and thought that Milliner and McDougle were the future at that position, which was the way to approach it. You mentioned Seattle's corners--they're good now, but they're all lower-round picks that they developed. God forbid the coaching staff should be asked to develop a cornerback. I don't think it ever crossed Idzik's mind to spend a dollar of 2015 cash on players that he didn't want around in 2015, even if that meant Rex got thrown to the wolves. It in no way benefitted the Jets long-term to pad another roster with high-dollar veterans in an effort to chase 8-8 again. If the choice was between 1. Keep building toward 2015 or, 2. Save Rex by signing the Antonio Cromartie's of the world, then he made the right choice.

RE Harvin: He's 26 and a former rookie of the year. And he's 26.

Yeah, but McDonald was not there in 2011.  He came on board January 2012.  Saunders left May 2012.  McDonald is a Fresno guy though, so he probably went to all the games.  His coaching resume was 3 years HC at a Fresno HS, 2012 at DBs at Fresno State. 2013 Jets DB coach.  The guy could play, so it never seemed like a stretch, but that isn't much resume.  I was hoping it would help get his kid here. 

It's a mystery. Have you had the chance to check out the NFLN show "Finding Giants"? It did a really great job showing the Giants draft process and they actually had the camera in the war room showing how players ended up getting picked. There's Coughlin, a couple of the Mara's, and some coaches sitting at the head table, then the rest of the room is the entire scouting department, with Jerry Reese and Marc Ross working the room and the big board. As the draft got into the later rounds, the area scouts had to do these presentations on players they felt strongly about, and then Reese would lean over to Coughlin and say something like, "good kid, team captain, no issues." The arbitrary nature of of how these dudes came off the board was nuts, and listening to how dopey the area scouts are (in general) is sad. If you thought there was some sort of elusive science to player evaluations, this show debunks the hell out of it.

I don't think he wanted to give older corners any money, and thought that Milliner and McDougle were the future at that position, which was the way to approach it. You mentioned Seattle's corners--they're good now, but they're all lower-round picks that they developed. God forbid the coaching staff should be asked to develop a cornerback. I don't think it ever crossed Idzik's mind to spend a dollar of 2015 cash on players that he didn't want around in 2015, even if that meant Rex got thrown to the wolves. It in no way benefitted the Jets long-term to pad another roster with high-dollar veterans in an effort to chase 8-8 again. If the choice was between 1. Keep building toward 2015 or, 2. Save Rex by signing the Antonio Cromartie's of the world, then he made the right choice.

RE Harvin: He's 26 and a former rookie of the year. And he's 26.

Please on Harvin.  26 is practically washed up.  They don't want the guy back at $10M, so he does not fit your profile.  

The scary thing with Idzik is not the plan, it is how horrific his talent evaluation has been.  Dimitri Patterson and Saunders were places where resources were allocated that could have easily benefitted the team and they both were horrible misses.  Replace those two sh*theads with say Flowers and De'Anthony Thomas and things might be much different.  Maybe if some of the injured guys come around it won't look so bad, but UGH.  A safety and a TE?  That might be the answer to "what position do you least care about?"  I guess FB is worse, but is that still even a thing?  I guess so, he drafted one that keeps getting listed as a "starter".  He drafted 4 interior lineman and so far all we have to show for it are two piss poor starter/okay backup quality Gs.  

Please on Harvin.  26 is practically washed up.  They don't want the guy back at $10M, so he does not fit your profile.  

The scary thing with Idzik is not the plan, it is how horrific his talent evaluation has been.  Dimitri Patterson and Saunders were places where resources were allocated that could have easily benefitted the team and they both were horrible misses.  Replace those two sh*theads with say Flowers and De'Anthony Thomas and things might be much different.  Maybe if some of the injured guys come around it won't look so bad, but UGH.  A safety and a TE?  That might be the answer to "what position do you least care about?"  I guess FB is worse, but is that still even a thing?  I guess so, he drafted one that keeps getting listed as a "starter".  He drafted 4 interior lineman and so far all we have to show for it are two piss poor starter/okay backup quality Gs.  

We've always differed on the value of the TE to the offense. I think a good TE is like gold, especially to a young QB. I don't want to get too much into defending Idzik draft picks specifically because 1. it's too early and 2. there is a consistent issue with young players under this regime. Whether we can attribute it to the coach is up for debate, but he's been the constant. 

It's a mystery. Have you had the chance to check out the NFLN show "Finding Giants"? It did a really great job showing the Giants draft process and they actually had the camera in the war room showing how players ended up getting picked. There's Coughlin, a couple of the Mara's, and some coaches sitting at the head table, then the rest of the room is the entire scouting department, with Jerry Reese and Marc Ross working the room and the big board. As the draft got into the later rounds, the area scouts had to do these presentations on players they felt strongly about, and then Reese would lean over to Coughlin and say something like, "good kid, team captain, no issues." The arbitrary nature of of how these dudes came off the board was nuts, and listening to how dopey the area scouts are (in general) is sad. If you thought there was some sort of elusive science to player evaluations, this show debunks the hell out of it.

I was interested in seeing it, but I refuse to pay for the NFLN.  Is it on any other venue?  I have a deep seated hatred of the NFL going back to my anti-establishment father being an AFL guy.  

We've always differed on the value of the TE to the offense. I think a good TE is like gold, especially to a young QB. I don't want to get too much into defending Idzik draft picks specifically because 1. it's too early and 2. there is a consistent issue with young players under this regime. Whether we can attribute it to the coach is up for debate, but he's been the constant. 

I don't have a problem with TEs, I think Schottenheimer did not use them much.  I think Keller was a quality TE and got blasted around here for not being a stud.  I like Amaro okay for a second, but I question his teeny hands and I think he will probably be good but inconsistent. I agree they can help a QB, like a back who can catch.  Slats and I hoped that CJ could provide that, but he is not a natural receiver.  You could tell after the first couple of passes they sent his way.  He will catch his share of balls, but he is not bailing anybody out. 

I was interested in seeing it, but I refuse to pay for the NFLN.  Is it on any other venue?  I have a deep seated hatred of the NFL going back to my anti-establishment father being an AFL guy.  

Not that I'm aware of. If I come across a link, I'll forward it. 

Says the guy who created this. Five weeks ago...  

I agree though, it's far too premature to really decide anything.  I was a big fan of the Dakota signing and think Dex's injury was a rough blow, but what's really hurting Idzik is the losing season compounded by brutally whiffing on a position you so heavily targeted, WR, when there are many out there who are flourishing. It doesn't look good when you're cutting 4th round picks at one of your biggest positions of need.  I think when all that's said and done, we'll come away with a starting Safety, TE, OG and sericeable CB, which would be solid, but hardly the homerun we were all hoping for.

I agree though, it's far too premature to really decide anything. I was a big fan of the Dakota signing and think Dex's injury was a rough blow, but what's really hurting Idzik is the losing season compounded by brutally whiffing on a position you so heavily targeted, WR, when there are many out there who are flourishing. It doesn't look good when you're cutting 4th round picks at one of your biggest positions of need. I think when all that's said and done, we'll come away with a starting Safety, TE, OG and sericeable CB, which would be solid, but hardly the homerun we were all hoping for.

Agreed. It looks bad now because the whole team has collapsed. People want pelts.

The point of that post was finding out how bad, if at all, he missed on those specific picks. As I demonstrated, the "omg 12 picks!" complaint was stupid.

I know, just bustin balls. 

Agreed. It looks bad now because the whole team has collapsed. People want pelts.

Honestly, if Dakota pans out and one of Dex, Shaq or Enunwa contribute, it really won't be that poor of a draft, it'll actually be fairly solid.  The problem is that it was universally noted as a strong WR draft and we waited until the 4th round to address it and even then with guys who aren't contributing.  Amaro, who we basically chose in lieu of a WR, was a solid pick, but people aren't looking at him as a pass-catcher, they see TE and still want blood.

Either way, this team needs to land a QB this coming draft in the worst way and hope to god they find a coach who can handle a team as it's meant to be handled.  If that means trading a second or something to go up and grab whatever QB they want, they need to do it, because there's almost no way Idzik and the FO allow us to only win 2-4 games next year, we'll screw ourselves out of a top pick and QB again in be mired in mediocrity.  Our cabinet is not bare and should the coaching staff be purged, although I wouldn't mind keeping Dunbar, this is not the most unattractive job out there.

Archived