Of all the talented players Rex has destroyed and/or wasted

AFJF

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not the discussion at all.  This was meant to be a single discussion about one single issue.  Player development.  I have been told a million times over that a major reason for the Jets being so bad is Rex's inability to develop young players.  Therefore, I am asking a simple question.  Which players has Rex failed to develop who will will see doing big things when he is gone?  So far, TomShane votes "all of them" and Matt says Mo Wilk and Sheldon will rise to greatness once Rex stops holding them back.

My faults for Rex- inability or nondesire to get involved with improving the offense over 6 years-problems time management continue, support of players that are not justified, lack of discipline with certain players over his career- those are just some of them

You're misconstruing what I said for reasons unknown. Discipline and accountability will help everyone on the roster, including Richardson and Mo who we know are talented. The team is 1-8 clearly there are players underachieving no?

Yes there are.  An entire offense will struggle when their QB is terrible.  Geno will be a different QB with a new coach without a doubt. 

On defense, they're doing exactly what I would have expected.  D-line is dominant, LBers are okay but get exposed in pass coverage when trying to help out a practice squad secondary.

In 2014, a team with NO CB's and the worst QB in the NFL will win one or two games.  That's what they're gonna' do.

My faults for Rex- inability or nondesire to get involved with improving the offense over 6 years-problems time management continue, support of players that are not justified, lack of discipline with certain players over his career- those are just some of them

Agree and disagree with some of those points.  Not saying at all that there isn't some validity becasue there is.  However, any team needs good players to win and I'm consistently told that the Jets players are bad because of Rex.  For that reason, I'm asking which players Rex is holding back the most.  So far we have votes for Wilkerson, Sheldon, and everyone.

Agree and disagree with some of those points.  Not saying at all that there isn't some validity becasue there is.  However, any team needs good players to win and I'm consistently told that the Jets players are bad because of Rex.  For that reason, I'm asking which players Rex is holding back the most.  So far we have votes for Wilkerson, Sheldon, and everyone.

Would Wilkerson and Sheldon get worse under a different coach or have they reached their full potential? 

All threads are about rainbows. You gonna answer the question or not, tough guy?

You're on an internet message board calling somebody names and I'm the tough guy?  

Please try to stay on the topic of this thread.

Would Wilkerson and Sheldon get worse under a different coach or have they reached their full potential? 

Given their youth and productivity, it's not unreasonable to think they'd both get better under Rex or any other coach.  Again, they're currently among the elite 3-4 DE's in the league.  I don't have a problem with that.

Ryan and Dunbar are pretty good dealing with the DL. That's probably why the refrain about the inability of Rex to develop talent generally includes the caveat, aside from the DL.

I think it's pretty naïve to think that they couldn't very possibly get worse under another coach.

Conversely, I find it difficult to believe that another coach could teach Kyle Wilson to turn his head around.

Ryan and Dunbar are pretty good dealing with the DL. That's probably why the refrain about the inability of Rex to develop talent generally includes the caveat, aside from the DL.

I think it's pretty naïve to think that they couldn't very possibly get worse under another coach.

Conversely, I find it difficult to believe that another coach could teach Kyle Wilson to turn his head around.

I think the dline has underperformed this season...especially from what our expectations were. Richardson and Mo are the exact same players they were last year...need more big plays out of them. Can we get a strip sack this year?

Which one will be the first to make go to Canton once they escape his grasp and get to show the world just how talented they are?

Vernon Gholston?  Mark Sanchez?  Geno Smith?  Stephen Hill?  Vlad Ducasse? Quinton Coples? Kyle Wilson?  Greg McElroy?  Scotty McKnight? Greg McElroy?  Joe McKnight?  Brian Winters?  Shonn Greene?  Josh Bush?  

So many great players to choose from that I just can't decide, but if I had to pick one, it would actually be Kenrick Ellis.

Why didn't you mention Greg McElroy??

I did..he's on the list.  Is that your pick : O )

Sorry, I was being a sarcastic douche, because you listed him twice. Im usually not a dick, but my team has a loser unqualified head coach that I've been forced to watch for 6 years which I just figured out is 17% of my life or 24% of my time as a Jets fan.

Sorry, I was being a sarcastic douche, because you listed him twice. Im usually not a dick, but my team has a loser unqualified head coach that I've been forced to watch for 6 years which I just figured out is 17% of my life or 24% of my time as a Jets fan.

No sweat, most of us are on here to have a little fun and the list of players Rex has ruined was so long that I must have lost track.

Mark Sanchez, starting tomorrow

Not sure how good or great Sanchez is going to be, but he will definitely be better than we've ever seen him.  This is the first time we'll see him as a veteran QB surrounded by tons of talent on offense.  Their O-line is banged up, but there's enough around him for him to succeed.  Jets (not sure if Rex or Tanny as I wasn't in the room) fumbled his development.  In year three he was half way decent and then they jettisoned most of his weapons.

Which one will be the first to make go to Canton once they escape his grasp and get to show the world just how talented they are?

Vernon Gholston?  Mark Sanchez?  Geno Smith?  Stephen Hill?  Vlad Ducasse? Quinton Coples? Kyle Wilson?  Greg McElroy?  Scotty McKnight? Greg McElroy?  Joe McKnight?  Brian Winters?  Shonn Greene?  Josh Bush?  

So many great players to choose from that I just can't decide, but if I had to pick one, it would actually be Kenrick Ellis.

don't have to be enshrined in canton to play in the nfl and be successful.

don't have to be enshrined in canton to play in the nfl and be successful.

You're right, and as I said to somebody at one point in the thread, of all the players who have failed under Rex, which ones will be most successful when he is gone. If you haven't read all the replies, the players he has hurt the most are currently Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, and "all of them".

I think anyone on the defensive side gets hurt the most. He is a good dc so i think if rex is gone our d will suffer a little but hopefully our offense improves alot to even it out.

Any particular players you like though?   Who do you think Rex is holding back the most as the HC that is actually much better than fans think as a result of his inability to develop talent?

Any particular players you like though?   Who do you think Rex is holding back the most as the HC that is actually much better than fans think as a result of his inability to develop talent?

The team being 1-8 and set to break the record for fewest turnovers forced should answer your question. This thread is going nowhere though.

The team being 1-8 and set to break the record for fewest turnovers forced should answer your question. This thread is going nowhere though.

The thread is going nowhere because aside from you, nobody is answering the question.  I constantly hear about how Rex can't get anything out of his players but nobody is willing to name the great players that he's failing to get anything out of.  How surprised should anyone be to learn that a team playing with practice squad CB's,one average safety and one rookie safety isn't forcing turnovers?

The thread is going nowhere because aside from you, nobody is answering the question.  I constantly hear about how Rex can't get anything out of his players but nobody is willing to name the great players that he's failing to get anything out of.  How surprised should anyone be to learn that a team playing with practice squad CB's,one average safety and one rookie safety isn't forcing turnovers?

The overall dysfunction of the team honestly makes it fairly difficult to pin it down to individual players. The team just looks unprepared to play every week...this isnt a great roster by any stretch...but it's not a 1-8 team imo. But like I said the guys who are being hurt the most by Rex imo are our best players. You push the best players to be great it trickles down to the rest of the team. If one of the rookies sees Mo going through the motions they'll do the same. There's just an aura of complacency. Revis sleeps in and he's told to go home. Our QB misses a meeting and he starts.

The overall dysfunction of the team honestly makes it fairly difficult to pin it down to individual players. The team just looks unprepared to play every week...this isnt a great roster by any stretch...but it's not a 1-8 team imo. But like I said the guys who are being hurt the most by Rex imo are our best players. You push the best players to be great it trickles down to the rest of the team. If one of the rookies sees Mo going through the motions they'll do the same. There's just an aura of complacency. Revis sleeps in and he's told to go home. Our QB misses a meeting and he starts.

I guess their preparedness to play is all a matter of opinion.  I think if you show up unprepared to play some of the teams the Jets have played and most of them would be losses by 21+ on their best day.  Having the ball and a chance to tie against the teams we've played would not have been a plausible scenario if they'd turned up unprepared IMO.  That was before we lost even more DB's and were down to a couple guys I can't even name.  Again, we can agree to disagree on how good this roster is.  Geno Smith is the worst QB in the NFL by almost every statistical measure.  I don't think Rex was telling him to go out turn the ball over at least one time in every single game this season.  A QB as bad as Smith can't be overcome and I believe that's why he made the comment about how starting him was "a Jet decision" which is another way of saying "it's not my decision".  Does that mean Rex would have benched Geno if he wasn't being told to start  him,, it's a hypothetical that I can't answer, but we do know that starting him wasn't solely his decision to make. 

How much Rex pushes his players is something I don't know.  I'm not there to hear and/or see what's said on the practice field and in the classrooms.  Every coach has faults  no matter how good they are.  One of Rex's biggest faults is his unwillingness to be critical of his players and I hate that about him.

You say Mo is "going through the motions" but again, that's  your opinion.  My opinion of him is that he's been playing as hard as he usually does but the sacks aren't where they could be because opposing QB's have no reason to hold on to the ball with multiple open receivers to throw to.  When a team is so incredibly weak in one area, the rest of the defense is impacted by it. 

Personally, I don't see many players who leave Rex and the Jets and go on to great things elsewhere.  Sanchez may turn out to be an excpetion as he's not on a team with a ton of weapons on a team that made Nick Foles look like a HOFer last year.  I think if anyone on the roster that isn't doing much under Rex, it'll be Ellis but that'll just be due to more playing time on a team that's not so deep on the DL, and Coples who should be on the D-line IMO.

I appreciate the well thought out response though.

all of them as a team.  especially the offense

all of them as a team.  especially the offense

So you agree with John Idzik?  This is a roster full of great players.  With that being the case, the Jets are set.  They'll have around forty million in cap room and no need to make any major upgrades.  They just need to replace Rex and should be a lock for at least ten wins because that's what great teams do.  You pencil them in for ten wins and anything more is gravy.  I'd disagree and say the roster is low on talent, but we're all entitled to our opinions.

So you agree with John Idzik? This is a roster full of great players. With that being the case, the Jets are set. They'll have around forty million in cap room and no need to make any major upgrades. They just need to replace Rex and should be a lock for at least ten wins because that's what great teams do. You pencil them in for ten wins and anything more is gravy. I'd disagree and say the roster is low on talent, but we're all entitled to our opinions.

Stay on topic

Archived