Will you root for Rex if he becomes another team's HC?

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I don't remember people praising Mangini back in the day for the draft picks, Tanny was getting that credit until he became public enemy #1. Then it was selective credit - Mangini was the one behind Revis and Mangold but it was Tanny that chose Gholston. Likewise no one was talking about how Rex was winning with Mangini draft picks until he fell out of favor. Total BS in my opinion. Mangini can't even get a job as a DC where Rex will have suitors lined up out the door if he wants a job

Everything become revisionist history to blast whoever is chosen at the moment.  You're 100% correct.  Tanny was horrible because he was trading all of our picks away, and now years later, Mangini is credited with all of those wonderful drafts.  Which one was it?  Was Mangini calling the shots on draft day or was it Tanny?  Rex had the Jets as one of the top defenses in the NFL for years and even his detractors admitted that "it was all he was good for" but now things have gotten so bad that Pettine was the reason the defense was so good. Ridiculous.

Regressing QB, among league leaders in penalties, barely above .500 with ultra talented roster...not the HC fault.

And what about the previous three years making runs deep into the playoffs or the fact that the 49ers play the toughest schedule in the NFL this year and were missing Aldon Smith the first half of the season?

Sherman doesn't deflect that pass to Crabtree in the endzone last January the 49ers would have won the NFCG and kicked the sh*t out of Denver in the SB.

And what about the previous three years making runs deep into the playoffs or the fact that the 49ers play the toughest schedule in the NFL this year and were missing Aldon Smith the first half of the season?

Sherman doesn't deflect that pass to Crabtree in the endzone last January the 49ers would have won the NFCG and kicked the sh*t out of Denver in the SB.

He is supposed to be a qb guru, youd expect to see a good trajectory from a highly talented young qb

Oh, are we looking at deep playoff runs from previous seasons?  I was told that didn't matter and it's all about the present.

My agenda is jets winning, not defending a horrible hc

IMO, it's an agenda because your hate for Rex is such that you're basically blaming him for everything and not acknowledging the good things he has done. I agree it's time for Rex to go but the problems are much bigger than him, starting with Woody and Idz and then Broadway.

He is supposed to be a qb guru, youd expect to see a good trajectory from a highly talented young qb

No  lack of targets there either...Kaep has looked terrible.  What'd he throw for the other day, under 150 yds I think.

Huh? He said he wishes mangini was back because rex has been awful, everyone else got it. Comparisons need a comparator. Thats how it works

No, I don't think you understood what I was referring to or vice versa. You responded to Slats post where he was saying that Mangini was not a hot commodity, by talking about how awful Rex is. That was what prompted my post

IMO, it's an agenda because your hate for Rex is such that you're basically blaming him for everything and not acknowledging the good things he has done. I agree it's time for Rex to go but the problems are much bigger than him, starting with Woody and Idz and then Broadway.

He has lost 3 lockers rooms, has presided over one of the most inept offenses in the league, has burned through 3 OCs, 2 GMs, 3 starting QBs, runs a defense that breaks but doesnt bend, made santonio a captain, is a running punchline--foot thing, flicking off fans, wearing a "id hit that" shirt in public, sanchez tattoo--decimated one of best olines in league, has failed to develop 3 first round CBs, rolled into town oromising super bowls and has only delivered snoopy bowls, not to mention got the best qb on the roster knocked out for season for that stupid "trophy," blind allegience to scott, pace, harris all past their primes... But other than that i support him lol

No  lack of targets there either...Kaep has looked terrible.  What'd he throw for the other day, under 150 yds I think.

Ya and half that was final garbage time drive

No, I don't think you understood what I was referring to or vice versa. You responded to Slats post where he was saying that Mangini was not a hot commodity, by talking about how awful Rex is. That was what prompted my post

Ok so whats the argument?

I can't wrap my mind around the Rex complex some elements of this fanbase have. The guy essentially burned this team to the ground and pissed on the rubble, and there's still a good deal of love for him from some quarters…I just don't get it.

People still like Herm Edwards and Eric Mangini here too.  Our fanbase has a defeatist, learned helplessness mentality.  Anyone who ever had any remote amount of success (We beat Peyton 41-0 in 2002!  We were 8-3 at one point in 2008!  We won 4 road playoff games!) will be loved years longer than they should be with this organization.

At least none of us love Woody.  He's the true enemy.

He has lost 3 lockers rooms, has presided over one of the most inept offenses in the league, has burned through 3 OCs, 2 GMs, 3 starting QBs, runs a defense that breaks but doesnt bend, made santonio a captain, is a running punchline--foot thing, flicking off fans, wearing a "id hit that" shirt in public, sanchez tattoo--decimated one of best olines in league, has failed to develop 3 first round CBs, rolled into town oromising super bowls and has only delivered snoopy bowls, not to mention got the best qb on the roster knocked out for season for that stupid "trophy," blind allegience to scott, pace, harris all past their primes... But other than that i support him lol

Ya and half that was final garbage time drive

Meanwhile Rex will probably have a DC or even HC gig somewhere next season while Mangina struggles to keep his prestigious job as the 49ers tight end coach. 

People still like Herm Edwards and Eric Mangini here too.  Our fanbase has a defeatist, learned helplessness mentality.  Anyone who ever had any remote amount of success (We beat Peyton 41-0 in 2002!  We were 8-3 at one point in 2008!  We won 4 road playoff games!) will be loved years longer than they should be with this organization.

At least none of us love Woody.  He's the true enemy.

Mangini did a horrific job in 2008 with that epic meltdown.  If Favre's arm is shot why continue to put him out there?  You traded up for POS Kellen Clemens use him.

Mangini's defensive playcalling was so conservative too.  Remember the end of that Thursday night game when he went into a soft preven the entire 4th quarter and made Matt Cassell look like Roger Staubach?  What a clown.

Mangini did a horrific job in 2008 with that epic meltdown.  If Favre's arm is shot why continue to put him out there?  You traded up for POS Kellen Clemens use him.

Mangini left here and got full control in Cleveland....5-11 both seasons...too bad the Jets didn't keep him around.

Everything become revisionist history to blast whoever is chosen at the moment.  You're 100% correct.  Tanny was horrible because he was trading all of our picks away, and now years later, Mangini is credited with all of those wonderful drafts.  Which one was it?  Was Mangini calling the shots on draft day or was it Tanny?  Rex had the Jets as one of the top defenses in the NFL for years and even his detractors admitted that "it was all he was good for" but now things have gotten so bad that Pettine was the reason the defense was so good. Ridiculous.

IMO, all of credit or blame should go to the GM period. None of us here know exactly what's going on in the war room or how much influence Rex or Broadway have on the final selection. We have posters here blaming Rex for the Ducasse and Hill picks. Seriously? That's why to me you can only judge the guy that makes the final decision. You can't judge Rex on talent acquisitions, as much as people around here try to.

I will say this; what Rex did with that train wreck of a roster last year was amazing and this years roster is worse. Rex is certainly flawed as a HC but not as bad as some of you say he is

IMO, all of credit or blame should go to the GM period. None of us here know exactly what's going on in the war room or how much influence Rex or Broadway have on the final selection. We have posters here blaming Rex for the Ducasse and Hill picks. Seriously? That's why to me you can only judge the guy that makes the final decision. You can't judge Rex on talent acquisitions, as much as people around here try to.

I will say this; what Rex did with that train wreck of a roster last year was amazing and this years roster is worse. Rex is certainly flawed as a HC but not as bad as some of you say he is

Been saying this for weeks.  All of a sudden everybody knows what's going on in the war room.  I've agreed that every HC should have some input on picks, but like it or not, it's the GM's job at the end of the day.  Rex has never been the GM and neither was Mangini.  The picks are on the GM's.

Rex absolutely has flaws that he has not corrected and should be fired for, but the thing that's been driving me nuts the past few months is the revisionist history and acting like Rex never did anything here.  Most successful HC they've had in my life and I'll always appreciate that.

Been saying this for weeks.  All of a sudden everybody knows what's going on in the war room.  I've agreed that every HC should have some input on picks, but like it or not, it's the GM's job at the end of the day.  Rex has never been the GM and neither was Mangini.  The picks are on the GM's.

Rex absolutely has flaws that he has not corrected and should be fired for, but the thing that's been driving me nuts the past few months is the revisionist history and acting like Rex never did anything here.  Most successful HC they've had in my life and I'll always appreciate that.

Absolutely. I'd put Rex behind the Tuna and tied with Michaels for best Jet coaches

I'd be amazed if he ever gets a sniff at another HC job. 

Seriously, the dude makes the same in game mistakes he always has.

There is the same not holding players accountable along with the team simply not showing up too many times.

Rex teams celebrate minor victories like going 8-8. Our owner succumbs to his HC's clown fan appeal and keeps him while ignoring that 8-8 may have been a play-off season had we not played our best QB late in a meaningless pre-season game.

He'll get his share of DC offers but competent GM's and owners will not go near him as a HC.

Love him for the game plan he designed up in NE in the 2010 play-offs but not much else.

IMO the Sanchez fiasco is more Idz doing than Rex. Why else would Sanchez go after him and not Rex afterwards?

Rex will get another chance if guys like Kotite, Crennel, and Mangini get second chances. No doubt he needs to clean up some things, but I think it will happen.

IMO the Sanchez fiasco is more Idz doing than Rex. Why else would Sanchez go after him and not Rex afterwards?

Rex will get another chance if guys like Kotite, Crennel, and Mangini get second chances. No doubt he needs to clean up some things, but I think it will happen.

There's going to be a lot of job openings in  the NFL next off-season.  Does anyone really think Rex is worse than Jay Gruden?

Archived