Could Woody be fined by the NFL for tampering on the Revis comments?

joewilly12

No but it was a helluva coincidence Brady restructured his deal the same day so the pats can now fit Revis's in under next years cap. The jets are never winning anything as long as Woody owns the team the guy is incredibly inept and meddles way too much.

Can't believe Brady gave up $24MM in guaranteed money.

This is the 3rd time he has restructured to help the Pats.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe Brady gave up $24MM in guaranteed money.

This is the 3rd time he has restructured to help the Pats.

He can have 24 million guranteed in March and watch Revis and all the other young talent leave in his last few years.

Or he can maximize the talent around him by giving the team flexibility to retain the talent and hopefully win another ring or two.

It is not that different then what Nowitski did for the Mavericks.

He can have 24 million guranteed in March and watch Revis and all the other young talent leave in his last few years.

Or he can maximize the talent around him by giving the team flexibility to retain the talent and hopefully win another ring or two.

It is not that different then what Nowitski did for the Mavericks.

So, you are saying the Pats dynasty will continue for 5 more years?

So, you are saying the Pats dynasty will continue for 5 more years?

Could I see Belichick and Brady staying together 5 more years?  Yeah.

Will they win 1 or 2 rings?  I think it is more likely as long as they can keep Revis, but Seattle is not going to abdicate their thrown easily. 

Maybe going into the Superbowl as the prohibitive underdog will help them unlike being the favorite during the last two.

Are you serious?

Do you really think comments from one of the dumbest owners in the NFL will distract the Pats from a playoff game 2 weeks from now?

Tom Brady restructured his contract to create money for Revis within 24 hours of Woody saying it. You lose.

No really we lose. Signing Revis was step number one to fixing our horrendous secondary. Thx Woody

What makes me laugh is you say that as if that was some sort of a given.

That "if only" Woody hadn't said what he did, Revis was as good as a Jet in 2015.

I'm curious what kind of fantasy world you live in, and how I too can join you in this wonderful world of make-believe.

None story. Pats fans can stop stroking off now.

how about Woody saying he would have paid Revis the money that the pats are asking him to take less?

The niners got docked a draft choice and had to switch 3rds because after the bears asked them if they wanted to trade for Briggs, they called up Briggs agent and even told the Bears about it.  The bears then kept Briggs on a long term deal. This was for a player that the team wanted to trade and not renegotiate downward.  What does Woody have to say for it to be tampering in your opinion?

How about this? " Boy, Revis would be stupid to renegotiate with the pats, he is can come here and get paid that money if he wants"  would that be tampering? Or are you saying that in the last 8 months no one told him that the pats were going to have to rework that deal to keep him.  

It's clearly tampering.  

Yesterday's press conference was going so well that something like this had to happen.  Otherwise it wouldn't be the Jets.

Hopefully there isn't much punishment beyond a big fine for Woody, which would be justified.  

The niners got docked a draft choice and had to switch 3rds because after the bears asked them if they wanted to trade for Briggs, they called up Briggs agent and even told the Bears about it.  The bears then kept Briggs on a long term deal. This was for a player that the team wanted to trade and not renegotiate downward.  What does Woody have to say for it to be tampering in your opinion?

We agree the Jets tampered, but stop comparing this situation to the Bears. Woody is a moron and said something innocently enough that is, without a doubt, tampering, but there was no ill intent in his words. Anyone with two eyes and ears should be able to understand this. 

The 49ers called up Lance Briggs' agent and, for all we know, said something along the lines of "we'll pay your client XYZ, but your management isn't interesting in trading him. Cause a sh*t-storm at camp/hold-out/stir up controversy, and I can promise you we'll trade and pay your client what you want." The intent in this potential scenario is very different than Woody's. The point being, we don't know what was said between the 49ers and Briggs' agent, but we know exactly what Woody said.

Two totally different scenarios not worthy of comparison.

We agree the Jets tampered, but stop comparing this situation to the Bears. Woody is a moron and said something innocently enough that is, without a doubt, tampering, but there was no ill intent in his words. Anyone with two eyes and ears should be able to understand this. 

The 49ers called up Lance Briggs' agent and, for all we know, said something along the lines of "we'll pay your client XYZ, but your management isn't interesting in trading him. Cause a sh*t-storm at camp/hold-out/stir up controversy, and I can promise you we'll trade and pay your client what you want." The intent in this potential scenario is very different than Woody's. The point being, we don't know what was said between the 49ers and Briggs' agent, but we know exactly what Woody said.

Two totally different scenarios not worthy of comparison.

No the niners did not tell Briggs that the bears did not want to trade him, the bears wanted to trade him, but they did not want Briggs to know as they were also trying to sign him long term and which they ended up doing so. By the niners saying that the bears wanted to trade him without his knowledge was the issue.

The thing is how many times is woody going to be allowed to do this, he did it last year and was reprimanded. He just can't keep saying "aw shucks"  He just can't keep saying it was inadvertent.  In 2006 BB let Branch's agent speak to the jets but not to discuss money but just a "recruiting trip" to determine a fit  but not to discuss money, The jets told Branch a $$ figure anyway.

And please this is a serious question, If he does it again, what will your take be then?

No the niners did not tell Briggs that the bears did not want to trade him, the bears wanted to trade him, but they did not want Briggs to know as they were also trying to sign him long term and which they ended up doing so. 

The thing is how many times is woody going to be allowed to do this, he did it last year and was reprimanded. He just can't keep saying "aw shucks"  He just can't keep saying it was inadvertent. 

And please this is a serious question, If he does it again, what will your take be then?

I'm not disagreeing with you. Woody should be punished for not understanding how his business works. With that said, this isn't a blatant offense that interferes with Revis' relationship with his employer to the point that it's going to impact the Patriots in a material way. If Goodell wants to issue a $250,000 penalty, then sure, that's just dandy. But losing a draft pick because your owner is an idiot is too harsh, and I tend to think the league will agree.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Woody should be punished for not understanding how his business works. With that said, this isn't a blatant offense that interferes with Revis' relationship with his employer to the point that it's going to impact the Patriots in a material way. If Goodell wants to issue a $250,000 penalty, then sure, that's just dandy. But losing a draft pick because your owner is an idiot is too harsh, and I tend to think the league will agree.

he knows how the business works, but i think he has a "rich mans' take that he is above it all.

Revis wanted to sign with the jets last March.  He didn't get an offer. Why, I don't know but it was speculated that Woody did not want to deal with him again. The pats are now renegotiating with Revis. Revis now knows that the owner of his 1st choice team now wants him and will pay him the 32 mill deal that the pats are having difficulty with. How can you not see that as in impediment in the pats attempt for Revis to take less money?

It was both Sperm. Pats get to spread Revis's bonus cap hit over 2 years on what was ess

entially a one year deal.

Before Woody opened his stupid rich kid mouth the odds of Revis's reupping with the pats was 50/50 at best. Now it's probably 90/10

Woody has too much pharma money in the trust fund for a fine to mean anything to him. If Goodell has any balls he'd exile that dumb f-ck for a couple years while Casserly rebuilds the organization

Why would the odds be greater that he re-signs with NE now? The billionaire owner of another team - the team that drafted him, and where he's spent most of his career - has claimed interest during a time when NE has exclusive negotiating rights to the player. If anything, Woody's involvement has complicated things for NE (from a negotiating standpoint).

I don't think it motivates them to get a deal done more than before. If they wanted him for another year (the current standard Revis deal), then they wanted him; not because they don't want the Jets to get him for 1 year.

What is being glossed over is that it can easily be inferred, by Revis, that Johnson has effectively made an initial - and public - offer of no less than $11.501 million for Revis for 2015. That is why it's tampering. That he may not have intended to tamper is not relevant if NE has difficulty redoing his deal beyond this season.

Hell, it's even possible it affects things in NE's locker room. I'm not suggesting it WILL, but it's possible it affects how Revis and others on the team interact with each other if all parties think Revis is going back to the Jets after the season.

Just an all around sub-moronic thing to have done.

Penalty? Perhaps none. Personally, I hope he gets a fine. It doesn't cost the team or its fans anything, I believe the money goes to a good cause, and it gives Woody a formal warning never to say anything this freaking stupid again, let alone from a podium speaking to sports reporters when everyone in the NFL is interested in what he has to say (the firing of his HC and GM is newsworthy for everyone). A fine today may save the team picks by preventing his next speaking blunder.

he knows how the business works, but i think he has a "rich mans' take that he is above it all.

Revis wanted to sign with the jets last March.  He didn't get an offer. Why, I don't know but it was speculated that Woody did not want to deal with him again. The pats are now renegotiating with Revis. Revis now knows that the owner of his 1st choice team now wants him and will pay him the 32 mill deal that the pats are having difficulty with. How can you not see that as in impediment in the pats attempt for Revis to take less money?

That was thrown out by Revis's agents to create a bidding war because not many teams were interested at 16 mill..

If driving around intoxicated with blow and 25Gs in your car gets you 6 games and 500K fine, fair enough.

There was no blow, but it sounds better.

What is being glossed over is that it can easily be inferred, by Revis, that Johnson has effectively made an initial - and public - offer of no less than $11.501 million for Revis for 2015. That is why it's tampering. That he may not have intended to tamper is not relevant if NE has difficulty redoing his deal beyond this season.

It's not being "glossed over".  Not everyone is VASTLY over-reacting to an off-the-cuff comment that did not, in any way, hold the meaning you're inferring it did.

I wonder some days why so many Jets fans loathe their own team so deeply as to side with pats fans and against their own team and owner.

It was not tampering.  It was not an "offer".  It was not a statement of intent.

It's akin to guy in a beater car yelling out in frustration "I'll give this POS away for a dollar!" and some guy on the street saying "sold" and suing for ownership.  It was not a verbal contract offer, it was not a declaration of intent, it was a stement of emotion in the moment. 

Should he have said it, no.  Is he somehow ignorant of all things NFL because he did....hell no. 

**** sake "fans", try siding WITH your team for a change instead of lawyering up something for the Pats to hurt us with (and seemingly getting a hardon about it yourselves).

Let the Pats complain, if they like.  Nothing will happen, and nothing should happen.

Even if some of you might enjoy having us lose a few draft picks so you can attack Woody for it....

Why would the odds be greater that he re-signs with NE now? The billionaire owner of another team - the team that drafted him, and where he's spent most of his career - has claimed interest during a time when NE has exclusive negotiating rights to the player. If anything, Woody's involvement has complicated things for NE (from a negotiating standpoint).I don't think it motivates them to get a deal done more than before. If they wanted him for another year (the current standard Revis deal), then they wanted him; not because they don't want the Jets to get him for 1 year.What is being glossed over is that it can easily be inferred, by Revis, that Johnson has effectively made an initial - and public - offer of no less than $11.501 million for Revis for 2015. That is why it's tampering. That he may not have intended to tamper is not relevant if NE has difficulty redoing his deal beyond this season.Hell, it's even possible it affects things in NE's locker room. I'm not suggesting it WILL, but it's possible it affects how Revis and others on the team interact with each other if all parties think Revis is going back to the Jets after the season.Just an all around sub-moronic thing to have done.Penalty? Perhaps none. Personally, I hope he gets

a fine. It doesn't cost the team or its fans anything, I believe the money goes to a good cause, and it gives Woody a formal warning never to say anything this freaking stupid again, let alone from a podium speaking to sports reporters when everyone in the NFL is interested in what he has to say (the firing of his HC and GM is newsworthy for everyone). A fine today may save the team picks by preventing his next speaking blunder.

. Brady restructuring his contract gives the Pats enough cap room for Revis to get his $16 mil per. As far as him picking the jets over the pats why would he? If the pats are willing to pay him they edge out the jets in every other aspect. Better team, better management, less media scrutiny actually the media kisses your ass because all of espn are chowds. You can even get away with murder look at Aaron Hernandez that guy isn't getting convicted for sh-t

That was thrown out by Revis's agents to create a bidding war because not many teams were interested at 16 mill..

Are you saying that Revis did not ask the jets if they were interested, that is not what Rex said and it was reported that rex was overruled .  And please why would Revis say that weeks after signing a deal with the pats if it was not true.  Revis said it to the boston media, not his agent or his uncle.

Are you saying that Revis did not ask the jets if they were interested, that is not what Rex said and it was reported that rex was overruled .  And please why would Revis say that weeks after signing a deal with the pats if it was not true.  Revis said it to the boston media, not his agent or his uncle.

Revis likes to tweak the Jet fan base when he can just like he called BB a jerk when he was a Jet..

It's not being "glossed over".  Not everyone is VASTLY over-reacting to an off-the-cuff comment that did not, in any way, hold the meaning you're inferring it did.

I wonder some days why so many Jets fans loathe their own team so deeply as to side with pats fans and against their own team and owner.

It was not tampering.  It was not an "offer".  It was not a statement of intent.

It's akin to guy in a beater car yelling out in frustration "I'll give this POS away for a dollar!" and some guy on the street saying "sold" and suing for ownership.  It was not a verbal contract offer, it was not a declaration of intent, it was a stement of emotion in the moment. 

Should he have said it, no.  Is he somehow ignorant of all things NFL because he did....hell no. 

**** sake "fans", try siding WITH your team for a change instead of lawyering up something for the Pats to hurt us with (and seemingly getting a hardon about it yourselves).

Let the Pats complain, if they like.  Nothing will happen, and nothing should happen.

Even if some of you might enjoy having us lose a few draft picks so you can attack Woody for it....

I'm on our side. I don't want us to lose any draft picks, and Goodell is not asking my opinion as far as what to do.

By the letter of the rule, which was posted, it is absolutely tampering. I said only about 5x he did not intend for it to be so, which is why (hopefully) nothing will come of this. Maybe a slap on the wrist fine (or what would be a slap on the wrist amount for a Johnson heir).

But it is not unrealistic that this can affect NE's ability to re-sign Revis to a new deal in February. Woody said something to the effect of: if he thought we could have had him for what the Pats got him for, he'd have had us in on the bidding. The Pats signed him to $11.5M for the season. Woody is saying he would be interested in paying that much for Revis, and if anything that interest should be more now than 1 year ago, since March 2014 was before Revis had a bounce back season without injury.

Revis has made the public claim that he'd have been interested in coming back to the Jets (real or BS, he said it). For Woody to then counter that, some 60 days prior to NE's restructure deadline with him, is tampering with their player. Particularly when it's a player who hops from one team to the next 3 years in a row, and one who was on our roster for years before that. The Jets, as a franchise, have an emotional attachment to Revis, one way or the other. Such a team's owner saying he'd be interested in Revis for $11.5M - right before Revis-Kraft negotiations begin again - isn't nothing.

Even Woody knows that on paper it was tampering, however unintentional, which is why he called Kraft, and why that lowlife Belichick said he thinks the league should look into it.

But it is not unrealistic that this can affect NE's ability to re-sign Revis to a new deal in February. Woody said something to the effect of: if he thought we could have had him for what the Pats got him for, he'd have had us in on the bidding. The Pats signed him to $11.5M for the season. Woody is saying he would be interested in paying that much for Revis, and if anything that interest should be more now than 1 year ago, since March 2014 was before Revis had a bounce back season without injury.

Revis has made the public claim that he'd have been interested in coming back to the Jets (real or BS, he said it). For Woody to then counter that, some 60 days prior to NE's restructure deadline with him, is tampering with their player. Particularly when it's a player who hops from one team to the next 3 years in a row, and one who was on our roster for years before that. The Jets, as a franchise, have an emotional attachment to Revis, one way or the other. Such a team's owner saying he'd be interested in Revis for $11.5M - right before Revis-Kraft negotiations begin again - isn't nothing.

Even Woody knows that on paper it was tampering, however unintentional, which is why he called Kraft, and why that lowlife Belichick said he thinks the league should look into it.

Pure projection, Woody didn't "say" any of that.  And no, I don't agree it would have any effect of any kind whatsoever on the Pats ability to retain or resign Revis. 

As for Revis, he is a liar, wouldn't trust a word out of his mercenary mouth if I thought he could make an extra dollar on it or twist the knife in a few Jets Fans over it.  He was never coming back to NY, and if I had to bet I bet he never even spoke to the Jets before signing in new England, despite what anyone claimed afterwards.  Both parties, Revis and the Jets, had motivation to lie about it, Revis cause he's a dick, the Jets to CYA fan anger over not signing him.

All Woody did was CYA, nothing more. 

But thank you for the Pats Fan view on things, because IMO, that's all you're giving us, how a Pats Fan, not a Jets Fan, would see this off-hand non-offer, back-looking (not forward) comment.

Reading your take, you'd think the Woody quoate was "I want Revis and want him now, and I will guarantee the Jets will persue him, and pay more than the Pats will".

Maybe that's what you hear, what I heard was "woulda been nice in hindsight to have had Revis this year, sure, next question".

. The Jets, as a franchise, have an emotional attachment to Revis, one way or the other. Such a team's owner saying he'd be interested in Revis for $11.5M - right before Revis-Kraft negotiations begin again - isn't nothing.

Actually to Mevis and his agents that is nothing.. Considering he got 16 from Tampa and his current 2 year Pat deal is for 32 million that I agree won't happen.. 

Pure projection, Woody didn't "say" any of that.  And no, I don't agree it would have any effect of any kind whatsoever on the Pats ability to retain or resign Revis. 

As for Revis, he is a liar, wouldn't trust a word out of his mercenary mouth if I thought he could make an extra dollar on it or twist the knife in a few Jets Fans over it.  He was never coming back to NY, and if I had to bet I bet he never even spoke to the Jets before signing in new England, despite what anyone claimed afterwards.  Both parties, Revis and the Jets, had motivation to lie about it, Revis cause he's a dick, the Jets to CYA fan anger over not signing him.

All Woody did was CYA, nothing more. 

But thank you for the Pats Fan view on things, because IMO, that's all you're giving us, how a Pats Fan, not a Jets Fan, would see this off-hand non-offer, back-looking (not forward) comment.

Reading your take, you'd think the Woody quoate was "I want Revis and want him now, and I will guarantee the Jets will persue him, and pay more than the Pats will".

Maybe that's what you hear, what I heard was "woulda been nice in hindsight to have had Revis this year, sure, next question".

You find it impossible that Revis would interpret what Johnson said as interest in paying him to play CB for the Jets?

Woody said quite a bit more than "woulda been nice in hindsight to have had Revis this year, sure, next question" yesterday. He said if he wasn't now on the Patriots he'd be interested in him playing for the Jets again. The direct quote is: "I’d love Darrelle to come back." And he said that right after suggesting how much he'd have been willing to pay him the year BEFORE this rebound season when he said, “If I thought I could have gotten Darrelle, for that (contract), I probably would have taken him.”

This isn't a Jets fan vs. Pats fan interpretation so I don't know why you're taking that position. I don't think we're going to lose a draft pick over it (unless we actually sign him, in which case I would expect it after those comments). Just like Jerry didn't lose a pick over his Peterson comments. I think there's about a 50/50 chance he gets a fine between $50K and $250K, with a stern warning from Goodell.

And if you read this board at all in the past you'd know I trust Revis about as far as I can throw a pre-lapband Rex Ryan with Rob on his shoulders. There is no way I believe Revis wanted to come back here unless we'd outbid NE. He wanted to talk to the Jets in March because he wanted to boost up his dollars with NE. If he was interested in being here first, he wouldn't have waited until a deal had been reached with NE to first ask if we had an interest.

Actually to Mevis and his agents that is nothing.. Considering he got 16 from Tampa and his current 2 year Pat deal is for 32 million that I agree won't happen..

His current deal is effectively 1 year $11.5M. The 2nd year is never happening, and that's where it gets sticky. Johnson knows - or he should know - that NE is about to enter a renegotiation with Revis otherwise they have to cut him. They're not paying him $20.5M to play CB for 1 more year (on top of the prorated bonus that is already slotted to hit their cap).

All year long all he knew was the Jets weren't interested. Now he knows the Jets, without Idzik, will be interested. Or that's what Woody said in his Magoo moment.

In the end I think - and hope - nothing will come of it, and the worst is likely a symbolic fine just to Woody. But I do think it takes us out of the running should Revis hit free agency, unless NE never makes him a formal offer before cutting him (in which case it should be ok).

Archived