Why are people worried about hiring the coach first?

UnitedWhofans

Here's another thing. If Woody did tamper with Marrone, why did he schedule all these interviews? 

You can say to hide the fact, but apparently, he's very stupid

if woody gets caught tampering with marone, and they get our 1st round pick, it would be a low point for a cursed franchise.  I can't even go there

The Jets are having to conduct concurrent searches for their GM and head coach. The Jets would prefer to hire a GM first, but they need to make progress on their coaching search, for competitive reasons.

@DarrylSlater: Confirmed Jets' Thursday GM interviews with Bill Kuharich and Trent Kirchner, as @BrianCoz reported. http://t.co/zNsaSGY9yb

No interviews have been conducted yet. Mark Cannizzaro said that Woody's plan is to hire a GM first.

So why is everybody going nuts?

He said cleary that he would do it if he finds the right coach (before the GM) and that he will be making the final decision, GM in place or not.

People are worried because it's a horrible idea and if it happens it ensures we get another Idzik as GM.

The GM needs to make the final call on the head coach. Especially with an empty head like Woody as owner.

Im not convinced we are hiring Marrone.

I do not think that Marrone quit to take the Jet job.   He would take it, if offered, I think, but I am not sure. He wanted an extension and they would not give it to him, EVEN if it meant sucking up and paying 4 million for services non-rendered. He must have looked at this refusal as handwriting on the wall. And Marrone may like the idea of NY, being a NYer himself, but he knows what he would have to put up with from the press  if he worked here.

I do not think that Marrone quit to take the Jet job.   He would take it, if offered, I think, but I am not sure. He wanted an extension and they would not give it to him, EVEN if it meant sucking up and paying 4 million for services non-rendered. He must have looked at this refusal as handwriting on the wall. And Marrone may like the idea of NY, being a NYer himself, but he knows what he would have to put up with from the press  if he worked here.

This. Woody is not bright, but even he would not be stupid enough to tamper in this situation.

I do not think that Marrone quit to take the Jet job. He would take it, if offered, I think, but I am not sure. He wanted an extension and they would not give it to him, EVEN if it meant sucking up and paying 4 million for services non-rendered. He must have looked at this refusal as handwriting on the wall. And Marrone may like the idea of NY, being a NYer himself, but he knows what he would have to put up with from the press if he worked here.

That's a very good post.

Maronne would be a huge upgrade over Bozo the clown, unless you enjoy 12 men on the field every singles game.

That's a very good post.

Maronne would be a huge upgrade over Bozo the clown, unless you enjoy 12 men on the field every singles game.

Yes, he would at this point.  But I do not see him as the guy to take us to some promised land.  If we are rebuilding, do not settle for a pedestrian guy.

4 years at Syracuse and a .500 record. 2 yard in Buffalo and he leaves -2. Sounds like mediocrity to me---I guess you could call it a form of rebuilding

What were their records prior to his arrival? Bills haven't been above .500 in 10 yrs. Syracuse won 10 games total in the 4 yrs prior. Nah. That's not rebuilding.

What were their records prior to his arrival? Bills haven't been above .500 in 10 yrs. Syracuse won 10 games total in the 4 yrs prior. Nah. That's not rebuilding.

My point is that he can only take you so far.  He has a ceiling.  I do not want a known ceiling on my new coach---unless we can determine that it is a Super Bowl ceiling.  I feel fairly sure that madrone will not take us there.  You can feel different if you like.

Archived