Matt Miller's 7 Round Mock (Updated)

Morrissey

If mariota or winston is there, you have to take him. On a team devoid of talent at the QB position for so long and with the new rookie wage scale, it's always worth the shot at a franchise QB if you don't have one. Yes both have red flags. winston has huge turd potential and mariota might just be a system player... but this isn't like old days where these kids sign $50M contracts. In any event new regime will get two thumbs down from fanbase if there is no backup plan (i.e. journeyman vet who still has the desire to play).

I'm pretty sure Winston is a psychopath. Dude was passing the blunt to the cameraman in the National Championship Game when he knew all eyes were on him. No f'ing way do I risk my career on him if I'm Maccagnan and Bowles. Mariota blows. Does everything well except throw the football.

i don't disagree but jets can't afford to pass on even a lotto ticket chance at a franchise qb.

I'm pretty sure Winston is a psychopath. Dude was passing the blunt to the cameraman in the National Championship Game when he knew all eyes were on him. No f'ing way do I risk my career on him if I'm Maccagnan and Bowles. Mariota blows. Does everything well except throw the football.

Can't disagree on Winston off the field. He is a beast and Leader on the field however and is a way better prospect then Bortles on the field. I would be shocked if he last past two. 

Regarding Mariota he does throw the football well so Im not sure where your getting that from. Its just he throws to guys wide open and many of his throws are based on that system. Physically he has every trait you look for in a stud QB. The thing is there is no tape of him doing NFL type progressions, reads, etc as you know. Because of that there is no proof he can do those things - However there is no proof he can't do them either. His upside is still as high as any QB in the draft over the last few years. 

In the end ANY QB we draft on day 1 or 2 is a guy we will have to stick with for a year or two. Any guy we draft is a guy that our Front Office will put there jobs on the line for. Geno Smith was a second rounder and Idzik still got fired. Positional picks may seem safer but top 10 WR's bust higher then any other position - and the chances of a pick succeeding is still only 50% in the top 10. In our current situation with a jacked up Dline I can't see us passing on a Home run at QB. How often do you get that shot at a QB with his upside? 

There are so many spread offenses in college that this problem occurs often in evaluation. If a guy from the spread is off the table it would eliminate the majority of QBs for us - and it would also say we dont think we have the ability to coach them. With Rookie contracts being so cheap nowadays this is a no brainer to me. 

Can't disagree on Winston off the field. He is a beast and Leader on the field however and is a way better prospect then Bortles on the field. I would be shocked if he last past two.

Regarding Mariota he does throw the football well so Im not sure where your getting that from. Its just he throws to guys wide open and many of his throws are based on that system. Physically he has every trait you look for in a stud QB. The thing is there is no tape of him doing NFL type progressions, reads, etc as you know. Because of that there is no proof he can do those things - However there is no proof he can't do them either. His upside is still as high as any QB in the draft over the last few years.

In the end ANY QB we draft on day 1 or 2 is a guy we will have to stick with for a year or two. Any guy we draft is a guy that our Front Office will put there jobs on the line for. Geno Smith was a second rounder and Idzik still got fired. Positional picks may seem safer but top 10 WR's bust higher then any other position - and the chances of a pick succeeding is still only 50% in the top 10. In our current situation with a jacked up Dline I can't see us passing on a Home run at QB. How often do you get that shot at a QB with his upside?

There are so many spread offenses in college that this problem occurs often in evaluation. If a guy from the spread is off the table it would eliminate the majority of QBs for us - and it would also say we dont think we have the ability to coach them. With Rookie contracts being so cheap nowadays this is a no brainer to me.

His arm is both weak and inaccurate. He sucks.

That's one expensive lotto ticket.

No dispute there. Draft is crapshoot and Jets are going nowhere until they find a franchise QB. If Mariota/Winston is gone then yeah you pick up an Olineman or CB. But one of those two guys have enough upside where you have to take your shot imho. FWIW I prefer Mariota. Winston is a proto-turd that could turn into a steamer in the NJ swamps.

Yep,  no good teams ever draft CBs.   McDougle and Milliner for #2?  They might be battling on crutches.  Aren't you a guy that doesn't want to sign WIlkerson?  You want to put $15M for a CB?

Yeah let's waste yet another 1st or 2nd round pick on yet another mediocre DB.  #Yawn

Or we could always go with the approach of your boy Idzik and sign D'mitri Patterson again.

I'm a guy who actually wants to fill the holes on our roster instead of drafting another mediocre DB.

Yeah let's waste yet another 1st or 2nd round pick on yet another mediocre DB.  #Yawn

Or we could always go with the approach of your boy Idzik and sign D'mitri Patterson again.

What the **** is wrong with you?  Are you going to still be writing replies to the same post in August?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2348680-2015-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-post-super-bowl-projections

6. N.Y. Jets— QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon 

Marcus Mariota entered the offseason as the hyped No. 1 player in this draft, but extended film study shows that the Oregon quarterback needs work before he's ready to be a starting quarterback.

The best bet for Mariota? Sitting for a season while learning in the NFL.

The New York Jets may not have time to let Mariota mature on the field, but they do still have Geno Smith in place, and new coordinator Chan Gailey will be patient with the young quarterback. But if Smith isn't the answer at quarterback—and he doesn't look to be—the Jets cannot wait to replace him.

Mariota has the tools and athleticism to be special. He could acclimate faster than expected and become the man for the Jets this coming season.
2ND. N.Y. Jets—CB Alex Carter, Stanford
Dee Milliner has potential, but he's yet to show it on the field. The Jets need all the help they can get in the secondary.

3rd. N.Y. JetsRB David Cobb, Minnesota

4th. N.Y. JetsWR Jamison Crowder, Duke

5th.  N.Y. JetsWR Ty Montgomery, Stanford

7th. N.Y. JetsT Eric Lefeld, Cincinnati

Archived