Tony Pauline

section314

That was Tony Pauline? I didn't realize that.

Also, what does this have to do with CJ Spiller? 

Maybe.

As for Spiller, I have no idea, perhaps someone should start 5-10 new threads about his possible interest in the Jets, so we can discuss it in full.

More than a few people on hand have not been complimentary on the pending hire of Mike Maccagnan by the New York Jets as the teams new general manager. Sources say Maccagnan does not have the resume to run an organization as is required by a general manager. Many in St Petersburg believe this is a move by Charley Casserly, hired as a consultant by the Jets, to get one of his guys promoted. To be totally fair Maccagnan is respected for his evaluations of players and owner Woody Johnson did publicly say he would look for a “draft guy” as his next general manager.

-Tony Pauline

More than a few people on hand have not been complimentary on the pending hire of Mike Maccagnan by the New York Jets as the teams new general manager. Sources say Maccagnan does not have the resume to run an organization as is required by a general manager. Many in St Petersburg believe this is a move by Charley Casserly, hired as a consultant by the Jets, to get one of his guys promoted. To be totally fair Maccagnan is respected for his evaluations of players and owner Woody Johnson did publicly say he would look for a “draft guy” as his next general manager.

-Tony Pauline

I think this is the obvious concern for anyone, the fact that MacCagnan hasn't had experience running an organization. At the end of the day, any rookie GM is going to have short-comings, or gaps in their experience. The thing I'm most excited about is his reputation for scouting. I feel like if he's struggling with any aspect of team function beyond that, we can hire people to help him. Like hiring a cap manager, for example.

I think this is the obvious concern for anyone, the fact that MacCagnan hasn't had experience running an organization. At the end of the day, any rookie GM is going to have short-comings, or gaps in their experience. The thing I'm most excited about is his reputation for scouting. I feel like if he's struggling with any aspect of team function beyond that, we can hire people to help him. Like hiring a cap manager, for example.

Far harder to find a "talent guy" than a "run an organization" guy.

TBQH any semi-competent Corporate Shill can "run an organization", and the worst that happens if he fails is Woody makes slightly less money.

If your talent guy fails.....your team perennially goes 4-12.

The General manager must be a talent guy.

Your Team President (or VP of Operations) can be the Business Guy.

Owner

General manager                                                                                            VP of Ops

Front Office                                              Salary Cap Guy                              Acct/Marketing/Travel/Equipment Depts.

Head Coach

Coaching Staff

Thats how it SHOULD be.  Business never touches the football side, only manages the BUSINESS side of a team.

I like both the hires, but I agree, that could be a problem.  That and the fact that both the GM, and the HC, report directly to Woody. Woody isn't actually a football guy.

Would like to see the Jets hire a chief of football operations.  Maybe a guy like Wolf, or even Casserly, but I'd prefer Wolf

-Tony Pauline

Interesting...

I like both the hires, but I agree, that could be a problem.  That and the fact that both the GM, and the HC, report directly to Woody. Woody isn't actually a football guy.

Would like to see the Jets hire a chief of football operations.  Maybe a guy like Wolf, or even Casserly, but I'd prefer Wolf

Pretty much. The owner will forever be an idiot...the Jets will never get the benefit of the doubt from the fanbase until they win a SB.

Archived