Seahawks Coordinators

TuscanyTile2

I remember there being a push on this board for both Bevell and Quinn.  Not sure which one looks worse today.  Bevell made that horrible call at the end while Quinn's D gave up a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter to lose the Superbowl.  Imagine we hired either one of those guys today.  Their specialty is losing to the Pats.  Ugh.

Yeah, but they played them tough. Playing the Pats "tough" will get Weeb comparisons around here.

Not from me...playing them tough with the legion of boom and a very good QB isn't a big deal IMO.  Playing them tough with Geno Smith and Phillip Adams...that's not easy.  Just my .02.

Quinn did not "do fine" in the second half.  In fact, his management of the defense is what led to the final gaffe by Bevell.  Yes, some of the players were dinged up during the game, but a good coordinator adjusts.  Trying to cover Gronkowski with a single slow linebacker throughout the second half was inexcusable.  THe Pats have no deep ball threats so Quinn should have had a safety or corner on him always, and not even their best linebacker, Wagner could keep up with Gronk, who was always 2 steps ahead.  Quinn didn't adjust to the handicaps his unit was facing.   On the other hand, for comparison purposes only, Bowles did so well during the season when, one-by-one, his key defensive players went down with injuries. He adjusted and schemed around it.  Quinn put a single linebacker on Gronk.  

Good luck in Atlanta Dan.  You sucked yesterday in Phoenix.

it would feel very empty indeed seeing macc and woody introduce quinn tomorrow 

Imagine that and then the Jets lose their #1 pick to the Pats for tampering w/ Revis.  And then Revis - for the first time ever - agrees to take less because he decides he wants to remain a Patriot.

Quinn did fine. Bevell never made any sense, offensive co, from a team known for its incredible D

Bevell made sense because there are only two really good young QBs in the entire league and he developed one of them. He's an awful playcaller, though. Obviously.

Quinn did fine. Bevell never made any sense, offensive co, from a team known for its incredible D

You think it just "happens" that Bevell gets productive ground games out of Marshawn Lynch and Adrian Peterson? That's the sign of genius overlapping masterful innovation, so you take it back.

Imagine that and then the Jets lose their #1 pick to the Pats for tampering w/ Revis.  And then Revis - for the first time ever - agrees to take less because he decides he wants to remain a Patriot.

#1 pick ?  I think the highest pick ever awarded for real legit tampering was a 4th, and a team has only lost a pick twice in league history

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/32706/history-on-lost-draft-picks

easy now

the lions were nailed for a comment in the press, so there is a precedent for that, but that was a 7th rounder

the 49ers case with briggs was direct contact between a team and an agent

Not from me...playing them tough with the legion of boom and a very good QB isn't a big deal IMO. Playing them tough with Geno Smith and Phillip Adams...that's not easy. Just my .02.

This is a true statement. Some people wanted Quinn who isn't better than Rex. Sorry that's the truth...

This is a true statement. Some people wanted Quinn who isn't better than Rex. Sorry that's the truth...

There's no way of knowing that for sure right now. If Quinn hols his players even somewhat accountable he's better than Rex, and I like Rex. But he's a buddy, a drunk party uncle, frat brother. He's not a leader of men. 

What scared me about Quinn was that I felt like we couldn't judge how good he actually was since Peter Carroll himself was a defensive coach, and he had massive talent to work with. Not that Bowles doesn't have some talented players but that defense did really well in spite of all of the injuries it had, plus Arians being an offensive coach, I'm more inclined to see Bowles as the one who put his mark on the defense. 

With Bowles as an HC now, it's pointless to compare his prowess to that of Rex. I still believe Rex is a better defensive coach than Bowles, but we were not looking for a defensive coordinator, we were looking for a Head Coach and I'm hoping Bowles can be that HEAD coach. What encouraged me was that right from the get go Bowles knew who he wanted to hire. Rex seemed content to just let the status quo remain on offense and keep Schotty. When does an incoming head coach ever not change coordinators? That should have been a red flag right there as much as I liked Rex. 

Quinn did not "do fine" in the second half.  In fact, his management of the defense is what led to the final gaffe by Bevell.  Yes, some of the players were dinged up during the game, but a good coordinator adjusts.  Trying to cover Gronkowski with a single slow linebacker throughout the second half was inexcusable.  THe Pats have no deep ball threats so Quinn should have had a safety or corner on him always, and not even their best linebacker, Wagner could keep up with Gronk, who was always 2 steps ahead.  Quinn didn't adjust to the handicaps his unit was facing.   On the other hand, for comparison purposes only, Bowles did so well during the season when, one-by-one, his key defensive players went down with injuries. He adjusted and schemed around it.  Quinn put a single linebacker on Gronk.  

Good luck in Atlanta Dan.  You sucked yesterday in Phoenix.

I agree with this post,,

It is crazy to think that people are saying giving up 10 point leads in the SB is ok... IT'S NOT!!!!!!

#1 pick ?  I think the highest pick ever awarded for real legit tampering was a 4th, and a team has only lost a pick twice in league history

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/32706/history-on-lost-draft-picks

easy now

the lions were nailed for a comment in the press, so there is a precedent for that, but that was a 7th rounder

the 49ers case with briggs was direct contact between a team and an agent

Presumably you mean for players. There have been lots of draft picks awarded, including #1 picks and more, for tampering with coaches. It still falls under the same rule or spirit of the same rule. The ESPN list is incomplete. For starters, Miami had to give up a #1 pick to Baltimore for tampering with Shula back in 1970.

The thing with Briggs was on a different level, as the 49ers directly contacted Rosenhaus during the season, about signing him after he hit free agency. Worlds different than an obvious off the cuff remark about an ex-team member.

By the letter of the rule, it's clear tampering on Woody's part. But there's no real history of anything being awarded for a comment like he made. If Revis is available and the Jets do seriously pursue him (certainly if we ultimately re-sign him) then and only then the tampering charge may have legs. But I'd be surprised if it was higher than a 5th (if even that high) based on past awards as you mentioned.

Archived