Which of the seven new NFL head coaches was the best hire ? ? ?

kelly

What do you mean "a" mistake? Sanchez's career has been defined by mistakes. Many of them.

Or are you acknowledging you own mistake in saying Sanchez was good?

No,  I am not acknowledging my mistake.  I like Sanchez.  

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex Ryan never met a bad teammate he didn't think he could save. That was clear in his six years with the Jets, when he took over a locker room filled with high-character veterans and slowly began to add his own toxic mix.

This is how you not only end up with Santonio Holmes on your roster, but actually make him a captain. This is how you cut a player everyone respects like Jerricho Cotchery during training camp and end up with, in the words of former backup quarterback Greg McElroy, a locker room filled with "extremely selfish individuals."

Maybe it wasn't the biggest reason that Ryan is a former Jets coach now, but it certainly is on the list. And now Ryan, the current Buffalo Bills coach, is making a decision that leave you wondering if he learned anything from his time in New Jersey.

"Bills sign Richie Incognito, and Rex Ryan takes chance" is the headline on USA Today. He is the guard who was suspended indefinitely in November 2013 for harassing teammate Jonathan Martin, the big NFL scandal before Ray Rice and deflated footballs.

It's telling that, since he was reinstated one year ago this month, Incognito has had tryouts with three teams and all three said "thanks but no thanks" to adding a player whose disgusting behavior raised serious questions about the locker-room culture in professional football.

Incognito was suspended indefinitely by the NFL in November 2013 for harassing Martin. He was reinstated in February 2014 and had tryouts with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Kansas City Chiefs and Denver Broncos, but ultimately no team was willing to sign him and deal with the possible public-relations backlash.

And with good reason. Incognito, according to an NFL investigation, taunted Martin and an Asian-American trainer with racial slurs and joked that a gun he considered purchasing was "perfect for shooting black people." From the NFL's report:

"The Report finds that the assistant trainer repeatedly was the object of racial slurs and other racially derogatory language; that the other offensive lineman was subjected to homophobic name-calling and improper physical touching; and that Martin was taunted on a persistent basis with sexually explicit remarks about his sister and his mother and at times ridiculed with racial insults and other offensive comments."

This is the guy Ryan has decided to add to his team, just a few weeks after getting his second shot as a head coach.

Incognito no doubt understands that this is his last shot at an NFL career, and he'll surely be on his best behavior in Buffalo, whatever that is. But if the move backfires the way some of his attempts to rehabilitate bad characters in New Jersey did, Jets fans will be able to watch from afar and say three familiar words:

"Same old Rex."

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/02/is_rex_ryan_already_making_the_same_mistakes_he_ma.html

And funnily enough that was also my reaction when the Raiders didn't get Harbaugh.

My reaction to that was similar to Tommy Lee Jones looking at someone like they are an idiot. 

Raiders fans actually believed they had a shot at Harbaugh? How delusional is that fanbase? Are they all like Raider9175?

. Rex Ryan, Buffalo Bills I give Ryan the top spot for two reasons: I think Ryan is a heck of a coach, and Buffalo wasn’t the easiest sell. The Bills have no quarterback (prove me wrong, EJ Manuel!) and haven’t been to the playoffs this century. If you take that job, you're also entering a tough division. But they landed Ryan, a brilliant defensive Xs and Os coach who also is a good motivator. He was given a talent-poor roster the past few years with the Jets and did a pretty good job getting the most out of it. This was a really good hire for the Bills.

Its a good thing your good looking (or at least your picture is) because you are out of your freaking mind. Rex will do the same in Buffalo as he did in NY. Besides that, if your the Bills why in the world do you hire a "brilliant defensive mind"  that was totally blown out of BOTH games you played against him? Makes the least sense of ANY hiring. And this came after saying his team (the Jets) was a "billion times better" than the first time and what was the final score in that one? 38-3 Buffalo. In two games against the Bills the Jets lost by an aggregate of 81-26.

Yeah the Bills got a real steal.

I said Rex would get another HC job before he was even fired from the Jets. As usual, you're wrong and foolish. 

When I "change my story" about things, I do it without running from it. Just like I did regarding Idzik. 

Come on APE, you are contradicting yourself.  You stated here that Rex has been one of the worst coach in Jets history, then how come he will get another job? You don't see the contradiction.  Simian you are smarter than that. :animal0026:  lol

Come on APE, you are contradicting yourself.  You stated here that Rex has been one of the worst coach in Jets history, then how come he will get another job? You don't see the contradiction.  Simian you are smarter than that. :animal0026:  lol

As I already explained, because other franchises make stupid decisions too.

It would be a contradiction if I had said "he won't get another HC job" and then said "he will get another HC job". That is a contradiction. Saying he sucked as a coach, but he'd get hired again isn't a contradiction. It is insight.

Also, I never said worst in history. Par for the course on you putting words in my mouth - fortunately nobody is going to mistake the dumb sh*t that trickles from the ham sandwich between your ears for something I would say. [spinelessly inserts animated smilie thingies so that it's okay that I'm insulting you]

Its a good thing your good looking (or at least your picture is) because you are out of your freaking mind. Rex will do the same in Buffalo as he did in NY. Besides that, if your the Bills why in the world do you hire a "brilliant defensive mind"  that was totally blown out of BOTH games you played against him? Makes the least sense of ANY hiring. And this came after saying his team (the Jets) was a "billion times better" than the first time and what was the final score in that one? 38-3 Buffalo. In two games against the Bills the Jets lost by an aggregate of 81-26.

If he does the same in Buffalo as he did in NY, Buffalo will take it in a heartbeat.  Two AFFC with a chance to go to the big dance and two losing season out six.   This is a franchise that hasn't been in the playoff in 15 years.  Other than our SB run in 68, we has been to the affc in 82 and 98 beside the others two by Rex.  Yet he is such a horrible, terrible coach.  :character0182:

If he does the same in Buffalo as he did in NY, Buffalo will take it in a heartbeat.  Two AFFC with a chance to go to the big dance and two losing season out six.   This is a franchise that hasn't been in the playoff in 15 years.  Other than our SB run in 68, we has been to the affc in 82 and 98 beside the others two by Rex.  Yet he is such a horrible, terrible coach.  :character0182:

You forgot to log out and log back in as jeaniec

As I already explained, because other franchises make stupid decisions too.

It would be a contradiction if I had said "he won't get another HC job" and then said "he will get another HC job". That is a contradiction. Saying he sucked as a coach, but he'd get hired again isn't a contradiction. It is insight.

Also, I never said worst in history. Par for the course on you putting words in my mouth - fortunately nobody is going to mistake the dumb sh*t that trickles from the ham sandwich between your ears for something I would say. [spinelessly inserts animated smilie thingies so that it's okay that I'm insulting you]

Why don't you read my previous post with your big ear instead of your butt? lol You stated here that he has been one of the worst Jets coach in history. 

Why don't you read my previous post with your big ear instead of your butt? lol You stated here that he has been one of the worst Jets coach in history. 

Yeah, I never said that. That's what I was responding to. Are you really this ******* stupid?

Shouldn't you be in class Seth?

Yeah, I never said that. That's what I was responding to. Are you really this ******* stupid?

So because I believe Rex did good things here with our team and defend him when he is make to be by his haters' one of the worst Jets coach in history, then I'm a Bills fan now.  wow :character41:

DRJETS is a flat out troll. There is no way he is a Jets fan. Even Jiff, the worlds biggest Rex fan, has moved on. This cat is just a bad troll. The guy has the Bills HC as his profile pic, nobody is as stupid as he appears, nobody.

So because I believe Rex did good things here with our team and defend him when he is make to be by his haters' one of the worst Jets coach in history, then I'm a Bills fan now.  wow :character41:

No, because you're using the exact same language and cadence - of course with gratuitous smilies.

Also, you actually aren't defending Rex. At this point, you are pretty much the sole reason why Rex is talked about here daily, and when he is talked about your crippled logic basically serves as a meatball pitch to anyone that wants to hammer away at Rex. YOU are literally the worst thing for Rex's lasting reputation.

DRJETS is a flat out troll. There is no way he is a Jets fan. Even Jiff, the worlds biggest Rex fan, has moved on. This cat is just a bad troll. The guy has the Bills HC as his profile pic, nobody is as stupid as he appears, nobody.

I'm well aware. I get a kick out of the fact that he thinks he gets under my skin. For me, interacting with this guy is like working out with a 10 pound weight. It's better than no workout at all, but I barely get anything out of it. No challenge.

No, because you're using the exact same language and cadence - of course with gratuitous smilies.

Also, you actually aren't defending Rex. At this point, you are pretty much the sole reason why Rex is talked about here daily, and when he is talked about your crippled logic basically serves as a meatball pitch to anyone that wants to hammer away at Rex. YOU are literally the worst thing for Rex's lasting reputation.

Who are you kidding APE? There aren't any thread that you do not insert your view on Rex.    :rl:  

Who are you kidding APE? There aren't any thread that you do not insert your view on Rex.    :rl:  

This simply isn't true, as usual.

If you want update it to say "there aren't any thread that I follow you into where I don't make it about Rex and say a bunch of things that are not only untrue but quite possibly making everyone dumber for having read them" then you'd be accurate. I retained the improper English, mostly to preserve the irony for when you reply back implying I'm stupid because I have Ape as a nickname.

This simply isn't true, as usual.

If you want update it to say "there aren't any thread that I follow you into where I don't make it about Rex and say a bunch of things that are not only untrue but quite possibly making everyone dumber for having read them" then you'd be accurate. I retained the improper English, mostly to preserve the irony for when you reply back implying I'm stupid because I have Ape as a nickname.

APE admit it that you are obsessed with rexy sexy.  You can't wait for someone to say anything about Rex and when people do not then you start thread about him.   :character0182:  

BTW every time posters bring "grammar" in discussing a subject is because they know that their argument is weak and need to deflect the topic.    :winking0001:

APE admit it that you are obsessed with rexy sexy. You can't wait for someone to say anything about Rex and when people do not then you start thread about him. :character0182:

BTW every time posters bring "grammar" in discussing a subject is because they know that their argument is weak and need to deflect the topic. :winking0001:

This isn't an argument. I bring up grammar to mock you, not as a counter argument.

You saying stupid things and me pointing and laughing isn't an argument.

dear ex-rex, hi !

just an fyi ; I'm not good looking...i'm beautiful  :love0040:

cheers ~ ~

:cheer:

Let's get this much out of the way, right from the start: Grading head coaching hires in February is utterly pointless. Like mock drafts, it's the sort of exercise that makes for a decent conversation starter--say, did you see the grade they got from so-and-so? They're totally in great shape/screwed--without any basis in anything beyond perception.

So: The best time to evaluate the Jets' decision to hire Todd Bowles will be after Todd Bowles has actually done what Todd Bowles was hired to do, which is coach football games. And last I checked, Todd Bowles won't be coaching any football games for the Jets for another seven months.

That said, let's keep the conversation going with the grades of three national experts. First up is Doug Farrar of Sports Illustrated, who went all in and gave the Jets an A. Farrar's rationale is pretty straightforward:

He was hired as the Eagles' secondary coach before the 2012 season, and was promoted to defensive coordinator when Juan Castillo was fired in October. Bowles engineered enough of a comeback that season for Arians to hire him when he became the Cards' head coach before the 2013 season. Bowles' defenses finished second in the NFL in Football Outsiders' opponent-adjusted metrics in 2013 and seventh in '14. Many believe that the coaching job Bowles did this last season was even more impressive, with the season-ending injury to defensive lineman Darnell Dockett, the departure of linebacker Karlos Dansby to the Browns in free agency and the suspension of linebacker Daryl Washington.

Next up is Will Brinson of CBSSports.com, who was a little less impressed with the Bowles hire, even if he was still pretty impressed enough to give it a B+:

Bowles comes off a season where he was named NFL Assistant Coach of the Year for his work with the Cardinals. A quiet, serious worker, he is most certainly not his predecessor. But he's captained three top-10 scoring defenses in four seasons as a coordinator, including a Cardinals unit that ranked fifth in points allowed last season despite a litany of injuries to key players and an offense that fell apart down the stretch because of quarterback injuries. Everyone wants to hire the next Bruce Arians and Bowles was his top lieutenant last season.

And then there's Mark Ross of Athlon Sports, who also liked the hire, just not as much as the others. Ross went with a B-:

Bowles opened many an eye with his work with the Cardinals' defense the past two seasons (especially 2014), and he was able to parlay that into his dream job. A New Jersey native, Bowles should be pretty familiar with all of the attention, both wanted and unwanted, that comes with being the head coach of a team that calls the media capital of the world home. A former safety, Bowles' playing experience should help him develop relationships with his new charges. He also has been a head coach before, serving as the Dolphins' interim for three games in 2011 after Tony Sparano was fired. Unfortunately all of this experience doesn't really prepare him for one of the biggest challenges awaiting him - finding out if Geno Smith can be a successful starting quarterback in the NFL.

Will be interesting to see how these grades get updated based on the Jets' won-loss record in 2015.

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/02/how_did_national_experts_grade_jets_hire_of_todd_b.html

This isn't an argument. I bring up grammar to mock you, not as a counter argument.

You saying stupid things and me pointing and laughing isn't an argument.

Ok I just literally spit my beer out all over my monitor reading this. It almost came outta my nose too

:rl:

Dr Jets:  Just  a heads up .  Integrity is accusing you and I of being one in the same person...   :sign0103-1:  :sign0103-1:  :sign0103-1:    :)        Don't know why or how he reached that conclusion but that's the scuttlebutt!!!  

Archived