2015 New York Yankees Baseball Thread

Jetlife33

Dbacks acquire C Wellington Castillo, RHP Dominic Leone, INF Jack Reinheimer & OF Gabby Guerrero from Mariners for Mark Trumbo & Vidal Nuño

Looks like Seattle made a move after we swept em. I like Trumbo. Right handed power bat.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During his Sirius/XM radio interview today, Brian Cashman said that Ivan Nova’s rehab assignment will begin Monday with High-A Tampa. At that point, his clock will start ticking. For a pitcher, a rehab assignment can’t last more than 30 days, so the Yankees clearly believe Nova could be ready within the next month.

With Tracy and David Carpenter removed from the roster the past two days, the Yankees have 38 players on their 40-man roster. Those two open spots could eventually go to Brendan Ryan and Ivan Nova when they’re taken off the 60-day disabled list.

"I need to probably find a right-handed arm. Not probably, I do need to find a right-handed arm for the bullpen here at some point. We have Miller, Betances, Wilson, Shreve, Lindgren, Capuano and Esmil Rogers as the long man.

1. I can’t find audio of it, but Jim Bowden tweeted that Cashman said Jacoby Ellsbury’s knee brace will come off on Tuesday, at which point he’s expected to need 10 days of baseball activities before being ready. Maybe a week of BP and such and then three days of a rehab assignment? I’m just guessing. That puts Ellsbury on track for roughly two weeks from tomorrow.

-Chad Jennings

In talking about Aaron Judge and Eric Jagielo’s success in Double-A, Cashman mentioned that first baseman Greg Bird is ready to come off the disabled list. Bird hasn’t played since May 7, but he’s now listed as active on the Thunder website.

Tonight
RHP Nathan Eovaldi (4-1, 4.40)
vs.
RHP Jered Weaver (4-4, 4.08)
7:05 p.m., YES Network and MLB Network

Saturday
RHP Adam Warren (3-4, 3.75)
vs.
RHP Garrett Richards (5-3, 3.26)
7:15 p.m., FOX

Sunday
RHP Michael Pineda (7-2, 3.33)
vs.
LHP C.J. Wilson (3-4, 3.55)
1:05 p.m., YES Network

Let's go Eovaldi. Get this home stand started off right.

Still can't believe the Yankees are in 1st place after that terrible slide they had.

the Yankees will have Pineda skip his next start. Instead of starting Sunday’s series finale at Yankee Stadium, Pineda will make his next start next Friday in Baltimore. Off days on Monday and Thursday make it possible to keep the rest of the rotation on schedule while Pineda takes a breather.

“It’s only because of innings,” Joe Girardi said. “This is a guy that has not thrown a lot of innings since 2011. He probably threw maybe, at the most, 100 last year; 2011 he threw 171. With these days off we feel like we can do that without overtaxing the other pitchers.”

“(Pineda) will do some sides and he’ll just go on Friday,” Girardi said. “Is there something bothering him? No. We just felt that this is probably the best time to do it. It becomes very tough to do it when you’re in a long stretch of games because you don’t have enough starters, so this is the time to do it if we’re going to do it.”

• Jacoby Ellsbury has started going light baseball activities. He did a set of 10 40-yard sprints at about 50-percent effort. He also took dry swings in the cage and played catch. “He is obviously getting better,” Girardi said. “I don’t have a date when he’ll be a player for me, but it’s better than when we left because he wasn’t doing anything like that.”

• Ivan Nova will begin a rehab assignment with High-A Tampa on Monday. He will be scheduled for 80-85 pitches. He could be a big league option soon after that. “Right now we have him scheduled for at least two more (including Monday),” Girardi said. “Then we’ll go from there to see where he’s at.”

Archived