Bring Him Back MAC!

operaguy

It is depressing to try to put forward original suggestions that will hopefully animate a lively discussion only to be met with cruelty.

Is it not enough that in reality one faces the stress of deadlines at work, stress from significant others / family members, and stress from all sorts of other sources?  Even on a fan forum for the NY Jets we can't put aside our insecurities and anger to just discuss football in a friendly manner?

If bringing in Kellen Clemens to compete with Geno Smith is immeasurably worse than bringing in Ryan Fitzpatrick or Hoyer then I suppose I must be a fool as I genuinely considered those three to be comparable quarterbacks.  Hoyer had a 76.5 QB Rating last year, Fitzpatrick has a career QB Rating of 79.5 (although he was admittedly better last year at 95.3), and Kellen Clemens had a 78.8 QB rating last time he started.  Given that I figured they were comparable and nobody seems inspired to attack people for suggesting we get Fitzpatrick or Hoyer, I did not expect this kind of response.

JetsNation.com please accept my apology for not being sufficiently well versed in the relative merits of backup quarterbacks.  Excuse me for not conceding to the collective wisdom of Hoyer / Fitzpatrick or bust.  Most of all excuse me for trying to start a conversation slightly different than the one we're having in nearly every thread on this board.  I'll go back to silently viewing threads where grown men attempt to read tea leaves in order to determine whether Revis will return to the Jets.

No need to apologize.  Everybody is just frustrated because our QB play has been so terrible every receiver that comes to NY is instantly bitten by the mediocrity bug.  This entire board is infected so badly with QB envy they just lash out at anyone with any type of positive constructive or creative solution to our issues.  Don;t let them get you down Pal. 

They would rather listen to endless threads about Rex, Revis and any other subject that really has NOTHING to do with this team right now.  You my friend bring the current events and it's on them for not embracing it.  

Full+potato+never+go+full+potato_dc153a_

Clemens makes Brooks Bollinger look like Brady.

Granted Kellen Clemens had weak moments with the Jets.  But bear in mind that he has never been surrounded by the type of talent we currently have at skill positions and he has never started at QB with an offensive coordinator as capable of fully utilizing the strengths of their QBs as Chan Gailey.

You are welcome to continue to post brief and insulting responses if that is your prerogative.  But I would like you to answer a few questions:

1) Is Geno Smith better than Kellen Clemens?

2) If we trust that Gailey can bring out talent in QBs like Fitzpatrick and Hoyer why couldn't he bring out talent in Clemens?

3) If we believe that Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, and Jace Amaro are talented enough to provide support to a QB why would Clemens be such a bad idea?

4) Why would Clemens be disastrous if we're bringing him in to compete, not handing him the starting position? 

Granted Kellen Clemens had weak moments with the Jets. But bear in mind that he has never been surrounded by the type of talent we currently have at skill positions and he has never started at QB with an offensive coordinator as capable of fully utilizing the strengths of their QBs as Chan Gailey.

You are welcome to continue to post brief and insulting responses if that is your prerogative. But I would like you to answer a few questions:

2) If we trust that Gailey can bring out talent in QBs like Fitzpatrick and Hoyer why couldn't he bring out talent in Clemens?

3) If we believe that Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, and Jace Amaro are talented enough to provide support to a QB why would Clemens be such a bad idea?

4) Why would Clemens be disastrous if we're bringing him in to compete, not handing him the starting position?

LOL.

LOL.

You've made your point.  

I'm curious as to why someone (like yourself) would feel compelled to deride a proposal without offering any substantive rationale.  As far as I can someone like yourself that believes my proposal is stupid has three options.  They can either:

1) do nothing and just not post in a thread they think is stupid

2) post a substantive elaboration of why they think the post is stupid, or 

3) post a brief insulting response

The first option has the least in the way of transactions costs but it provides no benefit.  

The second option has the highest transactions costs but it produces social welfare gains for other posters as it contributes substantive points that may develop a conversation with unknown third-party beneficiaries as of yet not party to the conversation.

The third option has a relatively low transactions cost and it has the benefit of potentially earning the admiration of other posters.  But, if it becomes the default response to threads people dislike, then the forum suffers from a concentration of topics "worth discussing."

This thread has suggested to me that the third option is more attractive then I otherwise thought it would be.  If my thinking is correct then people fail to internalize the externalities they create through derogatory brief responses and proper maintenance of a forum requires some sort of corrective to incentivize people to either the first or second option when they are inclined to think a post is moronic. 

You've made your point.

I'm curious as to why someone (like yourself) would feel compelled to deride a proposal without offering any substantive rationale. As far as I can someone like yourself that believes my proposal is stupid has three options. They can either:

1) do nothing and just not post in a thread they think is stupid

2) post a substantive elaboration of why they think the post is stupid, or

3) post a brief insulting response

The first option has the least in the way of transactions costs but it provides no benefit.

The second option has the highest transactions costs but it produces social welfare gains for other posters as it contributes substantive points that may develop a conversation with unknown third-party beneficiaries as of yet not party to the conversation.

The third option has a relatively low transactions cost and it has the benefit of potentially earning the admiration of other posters. But, if it becomes the default response to threads people dislike, then the forum suffers from a concentration of topics "worth discussing."

This thread has suggested to me that the third option is more attractive then I otherwise thought it would be. If my thinking is correct then people fail to internalize the externalities they create through derogatory brief responses and proper maintenance of a forum requires some sort of corrective to incentivize people to either the first or second option when they are inclined to think a post is moronic.

Lmao.. It's Kellen Clemens bro. Please stop.

Granted Kellen Clemens had weak moments with the Jets.  But bear in mind that he has never been surrounded by the type of talent we currently have at skill positions and he has never started at QB with an offensive coordinator as capable of fully utilizing the strengths of their QBs as Chan Gailey.

You are welcome to continue to post brief and insulting responses if that is your prerogative.  But I would like you to answer a few questions:

funny-hulk-sof-toy-dont-make-me-go-potat

funny-hulk-sof-toy-dont-make-me-go-potat

Lmao.. It's Kellen Clemens bro. Please stop.

I can see the humor in continuing to do something that ostensibly bothers someone.  It is a lesson in humor most of us learn before we turn six and it has a certain charm that survives well into adulthood. 

If anyone is willing to provide their view on why Kellen Clemens is immeasurably worse than Geno Smith or FA QBs available to the Jets I am willing to be convinced.

If anyone wishes to discuss why they are inclined to do brief insulting responses rather than either 1)ignoring a topic they find stupid or 2) articulating why it is stupid in a substantive fashion, then I would be very interested to learn more about that decision-making process.

Also, Saul Goodman, there has to be a less offensive way to insult my posts than the continual use of memes that denigrate people suffering from Down Syndrome.  I wouldn't wish that ailment on my worst enemy and I imagine you would be mortified to see someone actually insult a person with Down Syndrome by calling them a "potato" to their face. 

^ I'm just buzzed and messing around broski. I'm anti-Geno and think virtually any other QB would be an upgrade, just not in favor of trading a pick or player for Kellen Clemens.

I've had a few drinks tonight as well and I appreciate your comment.  The point regarding trade ammo required to get Clemens is a good point.  I prefer when you do text responses as opposed to images as I find it amusing to read your comments in Saul's voice.  

Are you talking about taking a short position (http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/short.asp) on Kellen Clemens?  I don't see how you could short a football player but would gladly engage in a discussion of how exactly one would do so.

1.  Obtain Kellen Clemens for a sixth round draft choice.

2.  Place Clemens on bench.

3.  Wait a few games until some team becomes hit with QBs going down with injury and/or ineffectiveness.

4.  Trade Clemens to them for a fourth round draft choice.

You have just shorted Kellen Clemens.

1.  Obtain Kellen Clemens for a sixth round draft choice.

2.  Place Clemens on bench.

3.  Wait a few games until some team becomes hit with QBs going down with injury and/or ineffectiveness.

4.  Trade Clemens to them for a fourth round draft choice.

You have just shorted Kellen Clemens.

I thought that in order to short you have to speculate that a commodity will decline in value over time.  In your fact pattern the commodity increases in value over time.   

To short Kellen Clemens wouldn't it be more like:

1. San Diego gets an option to sell Kellen Clemens to the Jets at the price of a Fifth round pick.  To pay for option San Diego gives Jets a 2020 Seventh Round pick.

2. Week 4 of the regular season Kellen Clemens breaks his wrist while praying.

3. Week 5 San Diego exercises put option and sends Kellen Clemens to the Jets for a Fifth Rounder.

That notwithstanding, is there anyway to import credit default swaps to NFL transactions?

JetsNation.com please accept my apology for not being sufficiently well versed in the relative merits of backup quarterbacks.  Excuse me for not conceding to the collective wisdom of Hoyer / Fitzpatrick or bust.  Most of all excuse me for trying to start a conversation slightly different than the one we're having in nearly every thread on this board.  I'll go back to silently viewing threads where grown men attempt to read tea leaves in order to determine whether Revis will return to the Jets.

Forgiven.  :cheer:

Archived