Best I've Seen From Mehta in Years: NFL Investigates Jets re Revis

AFJF

No fan of the pats is blaming Mehta for his role in this. He had stories, from good sources and he wrote them. That is what he is supposed to do. I have a problem with him telling the pats to quit whinning about the tampering and its no big deal, but the press conference last December was not even over and he already tweeted that what he said was tampering. 

Patriot fans (at least me) are not even mad at the jets, they wanted the best player that ever played for them back and they were willing to move hell or high water to get him back, if that included tampering, who cares! bottom line is they got Revis back.  But they did tamper and compensation is due IMO

e4qYqcQ.gif

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't disagree that if the jets used Mehta to relay a message to Revis that it is a problem. I just don't believe that is the case. Mehta is not the most well liked reporter in jets management's eyes. I think it is much more likely that revis' agents advertised the price tag in the paper via mehta. They have a history of talking. And mehta has served as their mouthpiece before.

If the Revis's agents were the source why did the increase their demands to the pats after the offer was published? usually in negotiations you start high and move lower, not start high and move higher! And you have to remember the facts bare it out, Revis was on a plane to NY before the FA period for him even began. How did he know the jets wanted him? or do you think he wanted to talk to the Giants? I mean 9 months earlier they told him to get lost, what happened in those 9 months that convinced him that the jets should be the first team he should talk to again. You think he enjoys getting the door slammed in his face?

Mmmm let me think what Compensation Patsmans thinks is due, could it be the Jets 6th overall pick...

I think it should be more significant than SF punishment with Chicago. In that case Chicago initiated trade talks and then backed out of the trade. In that case, the 49ers lost a 5th and switched 3rds and chicago ended up keeping Briggs. They only switched about 10 slots in the 3rd, in this case Revis is a better player and the pats wanted to keep him and not lose him- specially to a divisional rival that tampered and got punished by the league before for parcells with the pats. I thin a switch of the 96th pick and the thejets pick in round 3 would be called for as comp. What the league chooses to punish the jets regarding breaking the rule may be more than the fifth that they punished SF with, since the league warned Woody about it just last year.

I think it should be more significant than SF punishment with Chicago. In that case Chicago initiated trade talks and then backed out of the trade. In that case, the 49ers lost a 5th and switched 3rds and chicago ended up keeping Briggs. They only switched about 10 slots in the 3rd, in this case Revis is a better player and the pats wanted to keep him and not lose him- specially to a divisional rival that tampered and got punished by the league before for parcells with the pats. I thin a switch of the 96th pick and the thejets pick in round 3 would be called for as comp. What the league chooses to punish the jets regarding breaking the rule may be more than the fifth that they punished SF with, since the league warned Woody about it just last year.

So go on tell us what do YOU think that punishment should be?

From the league, a fifth or 6th and $50,000 that is what is inline with the detroit and SF punishments.

they included contact with the player or his agent.  the only pick in play for comments to the press is the 7th.   maybe swapping 7ths actually

they included contact with the player or his agent.  the only pick in play for comments to the press is the 7th.   maybe swapping 7ths actually

Below is the rule, there is no distinction is made between directly contacting either the player, his agent of talking about it to the media. 

From the league’s anti-tampering policy: “Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: ‘He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.’)”

What is the difference if an intermediary was used.   And in Detroit's case there was no contact with the player or agent except in the remark by an assistant coach to a reporter.

I don't understand how fans can not get their hands around the idea that Chicago contacted SF first. Not the other way around. What SF did was tampering but the circumstances were extreme. In every case that I can remember when a trade was made regarding a tagged player, the other team worked out a deal beforehand with the tagged player. SF just assumed that that would be the case, if Chicago did not back out of the trade, what would have been the issue. 

In Detroit's case it was what the league refers to as "even un-qualified" The assistant coach in question had no authority to sign or offer a contract but still detroit got dinged. 

This is the first case of tampering where the player's team actually wanted to keep the player.

And how is a swap of 7ths going to prevent or inhibit tampering if the prize is a HOF player. 

What would your reaction be if next Feb Kraft gave a press conference and said Wilkenson deserved a 14mill a year contract, and that if he became a free agent he would be welcome in NE at that amount? Maybe the league should give the jets the pats 6 and the pats the jets 7th. sounds fair I mean wilkenson is not even a pro bowl player. .

Below is the rule, there is no distinction is made between directly contacting either the player, his agent of talking about it to the media. 

From the league’s anti-tampering policy: “Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: ‘He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.’)”

What is the difference if an intermediary was used.   And in Detroit's case there was no contact with the player or agent except in the remark by an assistant coach to a reporter.

I don't understand how fans can not get their hands around the idea that Chicago contacted SF first. Not the other way around. What SF did was tampering but the circumstances were extreme. In every case that I can remember when a trade was made regarding a tagged player, the other team worked out a deal beforehand with the tagged player. SF just assumed that that would be the case, if Chicago did not back out of the trade, what would have been the issue. 

In Detroit's case it was what the league refers to as "even un-qualified" The assistant coach in question had no authority to sign or offer a contract but still detroit got dinged. 

did a past* fan just break out the rule book ?   lol

the league doesn't take press comments as seriously as direct contact according to their own precedents. simple fact

the only other factor here is krafty's inappropriate relationship with the commissioner and the punishment he may be facing for (time to get the rulebook ?) deflategate could cause goodell to go off of his own precedent to punish the jets more harshly to ease the pain for krafty

and the illegal substitutions the past* were using is causing a new rule to be considered.  you really want to break out the rule book ?

Didn't the Pats sign Revis within hours of being released by Tampa?? The Pats and his agents were working together and his agents approached the Jets first saying Revis would love to come back.. If the press asked any owner if they would like a Brady, Manning,Bree's or Rogers on their team they are supposed to say I can't comment?? LOL If the media asked Kraft if he would like to date a young HO right after his wife died is he supposed to say no?? Some things are obvious if you say them or not.. :animal0029:

Didn't the Pats sign Revis within hours of being released by Tampa?? The Pats and his agents were working together and his agents approached the Jets first saying Revis would love to come back.. If the press asked any owner if they would like a Brady, Manning,Bree's or Rogers on their team they are supposed to say I can't comment?? LOL If the media asked Kraft if he would like to date a young HO right after his wife died is he supposed to say no?? Some things are obvious if you say them or not.. :animal0029:

Yeah, if Goodell wants to use the strictest interpretation, Woody obviously tampered. But it's not the same as Woody adding in there, "...and if NE can't meet his demands in March and end up cutting him, we'd welcome the opportunity to take a crack at re-signing him."

Also in the Jets' favor is, dopey as he was to say anything, it isn't as though the press conference response was planted/planned. 

The Mehta leak stuff is ridiculous. The Jets hate Mehta. 

Yeah, if Goodell wants to use the strictest interpretation, Woody obviously tampered. But it's not the same as Woody adding in there, "...and if NE can't meet his demands in March and end up cutting him, we'd welcome the opportunity to take a crack at re-signing him."

Also in the Jets' favor is, dopey as he was to say anything, it isn't as though the press conference response was planted/planned

The Mehta leak stuff is ridiculous. The Jets hate Mehta. 

So the intent to disrupt any negotiations the Pats may have had going was not there?? So no intent no foul IMO.. :winking0001:  

did a past* fan just break out the rule book ?   lol

the league doesn't take press comments as seriously as direct contact according to their own precedents. simple fact

the only other factor here is krafty's inappropriate relationship with the commissioner and the punishment he may be facing for (time to get the rulebook ?) deflategate could cause goodell to go off of his own precedent to punish the jets more harshly to ease the pain for krafty

and the illegal substitutions the past* were using is causing a new rule to be considered.  you really want to break out the rule book ?

You are not making any sense. Oh since the pats had a camera taking pictures of the def plays using a sideline camera, any team that wants to tamper with thepats can do so at leisure.

Does that mean that opposing teams can line up players to trip jet players going down the sideline? or that an owner can negotiate a deal with any of the jets coaches withut any fear of punishment? I mean the jets got punished by the league for those things, I guess that it would be ok to do it to the jets. 

What is wrong with what the pats did, they found that the rule regarding alignments was not encompassing. it was brilliant!!!  If a ref ever announced to the pats not to cover an opposing player on the stadium PA system , jets fans would be screaming that the refs are in Krafts pocket. Did you ever hear of anything like that before, the refs were blantant in thier attempt to help the Ravens figure out what the pats were doing. It was in the rules. Like Dave Kasper forwarding the football out of bounds before he got tackled, he knew the rule and took advantage of it, the next year the nfl addressed it.  Everyone has a copy of the rule book.  Fine change the rule, maybe the ravens team bus should be painted yellow and they could wear their helmets while they ride.

What do you mean the league does not treat press conferences the same. First it has never happened in a press conference before, and in the case of media involvement Detroit got hit hard by the league for a player that the other team did not even want!  And again you totally ignore that Woody was warned just months prior to it on Desean Jackson.

You are not making any sense. Oh since the pats had a camera taking pictures of the def plays using a sideline camera, any team that wants to tamper with thepats can do so at leisure.

Does that mean that opposing teams can line up players to trip jet players going down the sideline? or that an owner can negotiate a deal with any of the jets coaches withut any fear of punishment? I mean the jets got punished by the league for those things, I guess that it would be ok to do it to the jets. 

What is wrong with what the pats did, they found that the rule regarding alignments was not encompassing. it was brilliant!!!  If a ref ever announced to the pats not to cover an opposing player on the stadium PA system , jets fans would be screaming that the refs are in Krafts pocket. Did you ever hear of anything like that before, the refs were blantant in thier attempt to help the Ravens figure out what the pats were doing. It was in the rules. Like Dave Kasper forwarding the football out of bounds before he got tackled, he knew the rule and took advantage of it, the next year the nfl addressed it.  Everyone has a copy of the rule book.  Fine change the rule, maybe the ravens team bus should be painted yellow and they could wear their helmets while they ride.

What do you mean the league does not treat press conferences the same. First it has never happened in a press conference before, and in the case of media involvement Detroit got hit hard by the league for a player that the other team did not even want!  And again you totally ignore that Woody was warned just months prior to it on Desean Jackson.

well, I wouldn't want my team to ignore a warning ;-)

you just illustrated mehta's point about the hypocrisy of the past* crying about tampering/rule breaking

thank you

Yes you are supposed to say nothing regarding the possibility of an opposing player playing for your team.  You can say Brady is a hof lock and the best qb in the world, you can't say he would look good in green.

And yes the pats signed revis within 5 hours of his release.  What was so tuff in the negotiation? He was willing to play for 4.5 mill less than what he got paid the year before. What do you think BB had to sleep on it?  The pats or no team thought that he was going to be relaesed, the Bucs were 40 mill under the cap and had no need to. Now jason licht used to work for the pats and I am sure that he and BB discussed a trade when the bucs were trying to trade him, and he may have even given the pats an opportunity to talk to him. I have no idea.  But what we do know was that he called on the jets before he called on the pats.

well, I wouldn't want my team to ignore a warning ;-)

you just illustrated mehta's point about the hypocrisy of the past* crying about tampering/rule breaking

thank you

No I did not, it is not ok to have open season on a team that committed a rules violation. Which is what Mehta alluded to.  The pats were punished and moved on and have not skipped a beat in continuing to be the winningest team in the league since the punishment. 

The jets tampered with Parcels and were found guilty, the pats again charged them with Branch, for which the league found in the jets favor, they were warned about Desean Jackson just last year. If any team or owner should be literate in the nfl rules on tampering it is Woody.

No I did not, it is not ok to have opens season on a team that committed a rules violation. Which is what Mehta alluded to.  The pats were punished and moved on and have not skipped a beat in continuing to be the winningest team in the league since the punishment. 

The jets tampered with Parcels and were found guilty, the pats again charged them with Branch, for which the league found in the jets favor, they were warned about Desean Jackson just last year. If any team or owner should be literate in the nfl rules on tampering it is Woody.

the cheaters are crying about cheating

see the hypocrisy ?

I don't disagree that if the jets used Mehta to relay a message to Revis that it is a problem. I just don't believe that is the case. Mehta is not the most well liked reporter in jets management's eyes. I think it is much more likely that revis' agents advertised the price tag in the paper via mehta. They have a history of talking. And mehta has served as their mouthpiece before.

There are many ways the Jets can get a message to Revis's agents without sending it through the press...

The whole tampering thing is silly...It happens all the time - Woody made a mistake - he was asked a question and essentially threw his GM under the bus - saying if he could have gotten Revis for that price he would have (he was speaking in the past tense)

It's a joke that this is even an issue - showing how ridiculous this league has become.  The NFL has lost just about all credibility with me.

Yes you are supposed to say nothing regarding the possibility of an opposing player playing for your team.  You can say Brady is a hof lock and the best qb in the world, you can't say he would look good in green.

And yes the pats signed revis within 5 hours of his release.  What was so tuff in the negotiation? He was willing to play for 4.5 mill less than what he got paid the year before. What do you think BB had to sleep on it?  The pats or no team thought that he was going to be relaesed, the Bucs were 40 mill under the cap and had no need to. Now jason licht used to work for the pats and I am sure that he and BB discussed a trade when the bucs were trying to trade him, and he may have even given the pats an opportunity to talk to him. I have no idea.  But what we do know was that he called on the jets before he called on the pats.

His contract with the Buc's was a year to year deal at 16 per.. They had a regime change and didn't feel he was worth the 16 with other needs on the team.. If a contender offered more then the Jets did that is where he would be.. 

His contract with the Buc's was a year to year deal at 16 per.. They had a regime change and didn't feel he was worth the 16 with other needs on the team.. If a contender offered more then the Jets did that is where he would be.. 

maybe so, but if he did not know the jets wanted him, as when they told him no thanks last year, he may have signed with the pats as long as they were going to give hm a better deal than Sherman, and the pats said that thier offer was to make him the highest paid in the game. kraft last fall said that Ray rice would never play for his team, If woody said the same about Revis in December, do you think Revis would not be the highest paid cb in the NFL and playing for the pats.

So the intent to disrupt any negotiations the Pats may have had going was not there?? So no intent no foul IMO.. :winking0001:

I didn't say no foul. There was most definitely foul. It's that I'd expect a punishment to be more severe if there was planned and intended malfeasance. Like in any number of cases of things done The Patriot Way.

maybe so, but if he did not know the jets wanted him, as when they told him no thanks last year, he may have signed with the pats as long as they were going to give hm a better deal than Sherman, and the pats said that thier offer was to make him the highest paid in the game. kraft last fall said that Ray rice would never play for his team, If woody said the same about Revis in December, do you think Revis would not be the highest paid cb in the NFL and playing for the pats.

If Idzik didn't get canned Revis would have stayed with the Pats.. BTW Kraft didn't like Rice because he didn't finish the job like AH..LOL

There's no maybe about it. Everyone knew he was getting cut. Just like everyone knew without a record breaking deal NE would never offer up, NE was cutting Revis.

Absent a contract like the Jets offered, the only way NE was locking him up was to make their offer mid-season.

I didn't say no foul. There was most definitely foul. It's that I'd expect a punishment to be more severe if there was planned and intended malfeasance. Like in any number of cases of things done The Patriot Way.

Did the Pats intend to deflate the balls or was it just a strange happening they had no control over?? If they walk on that so does Woody.. Other teams are starting to question the inappropriate  Kraft-Goodell favoritism... 

Did the Pats intend to deflate the balls or was it just a strange happening they had no control over?? If they walk on that so does Woody.. Other teams are starting to question the inappropriate  Kraft-Goodell favoritism... 

Look this is a discussion forum, we are talking about the tampering issue. If you want to create a deflate gate thread, I will be please to discuss that with you there. or bump one of the previous ones in which i took part. 

Look this is a discussion forum, we are talking about the tampering issue. If you want to create a deflate gate thread, I will be please to discuss that with you there. or bump one of the previous ones in which i took part. 

Your right it's a Jets discussion forum visiting Pat fans don't tell us what we can discuss or in what thread to discuss it in.. :animal0029:

Your right it's a Jets discussion forum visiting Pat fans don't tell us what we can discuss or in what thread to discuss it in.. :animal0029:

You are free to discuss anything you wish, I did not tell you not to, just that you asked me a question on a off topic item, and I said I would be pleased to answer on either another thread or one of the old ones. I felt no need to derail this thread.  I conduct myself on the forum as I was asked to by the mods when I joined.

If Idzik didn't get canned Revis would have stayed with the Pats.. BTW Kraft didn't like Rice because he didn't finish the job like AH..LOL

If Idzik was still the GM our secondary would currently have Kyle Wilson and Dee Milliner as the starters and we would have given Muhammed Wilkerson $70 million guaranteed.  Jake Locker would not be retired he'd be on our roster competing for the starter job next season.  Thank God that nonsense is over.

The two issues are completely intertwined.  If the Jets lose a draft pick even a late round pick Goodell will look like a hypocritical idiot because the deflategate investigation is currently taking longer than Elon Musk's expedition to Mars.

NFL isn't doing anything if they try to dock the Jets a draft pick the first thing people are going to say is what happened to the deflated football investigation which is currently set to end in the year 2086.

Brilliant! The NFL decides the case when all the principals are dead. Simply brilliant!  :winking0001:

Archived