RB dept. : Zac Stacy ~ ~ ~

kelly

Who cares about his YPC? Perhaps, everyone in the NFL?

His talent was being wasted behind a stacked group of RBs. Sproles, Pierre Thomas, Mark Ingram, Chris Ivory. That's why he was traded, not released. Your argument is completely flawed, especially when you state Belicheat knows his RBs. If he had a half decent RB, he would've put up all pro type rushin numbers with one of the best QBs in the NFL history.

True talent doesn't get buried 4th on the depth chart. He was traded because he is one dimensional.

Coaches will take less YPC if it means better pass pro and receding skills every day. Pierre Thinas isn't special, but capable of more, which is why he got on the field more.

Ivory is s one-dimensional beast. You are basically making my argument for me.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weak argument? More like a slap in the face argument against a guy that wanted to tank the season for a higher draft pick, yet we ended up picking the top prospect. Keep it up, Mr. Integrity28.

None if this is relevant to discussing RB. But you do what you need to to convince yourself that you proved a point.

I'm going to stick with common knowledge here: Ivory is one-dimensional.

So salty, lol

I like Ivory.  I havent noticed him drop a bunch of passes or blow a block in pass protection but that may be because the coaches didnt put him in the position to do so.  Either way, he has done what they have asked and I think he did it well.  Id like to see him with an expanded role this year.

my $0.02

I like Ivory.  I havent noticed him drop a bunch of passes or blow a block in pass protection but that may be because the coaches didnt put him in the position to do so.  Either way, he has done what they have asked and I think he did it well.  Id like to see him with an expanded role this year.

my $0.02

The bold.

I never argued that he sucked, but in terms of finding a RB (amongst the ones we have) the only one I haven't given up on is Bilal, because the other guys on the roster have all had RB-savvy coaches give up on their 1-dimensional limitations. It's common knowledge, but some of the yokels here love to find new ways to lose arguments.

The lovefest for Powell is amusing. Give me the guy who runs the ball without, seemingly, any concern for his own well-being like Ivory. He's the anti-Shonn Greene.

Gotta agree.  Perhaps his best ability is in pass protection and catching out of the back field but lets not act like he is anything special.  

Jeff Fisher's win/loss record is about the least relevant thing you could bring up in the context of me pointing out he gave up on a RB. He knows a good RB when he has one, and knows how to get them on the field. 

This is not true.  In a time of RB by committee, Jeff Fisher has proven only that he knows how to ride a workhorse.  George, Johnson.  When he got to St Louis, he rode Jackson hard and thought he had a replacement in Richardson.  Then Stacy took over for Richardson.  FIsher has never properly handled a stable of talented but non-superstar backs.  He fed guys like LenDale White and Chris Brown trying to act like they were Walter Payton instead of mixing and matching like successful franchises.

This is not true.  In a time of RB by committee, Jeff Fisher has proven only that he knows how to ride a workhorse.  George, Johnson.  When he got to St Louis, he rode Jackson hard and thought he had a replacement in Richardson.  Then Stacy took over for Richardson.  FIsher has never properly handled a stable of talented but non-superstar backs.  He fed guys like LenDale White and Chris Brown trying to act like they were Walter Payton instead of mixing and matching like successful franchises.

I think you're mistaking truth for subjectivity. I see it as Fisher gives a guy a shot, until he knows he's more or less not what he wants on the field.

The lovefest for Powell is amusing. Give me the guy who runs the ball without, seemingly, any concern for his own well-being like Ivory. He's the anti-Shonn Greene.

That's the best thing about Ivory. All I'm saying is, give me the guy that brings the most versatility to the offense. There's a place for Ivory too, but we haven't had well-rounded RB who can be on the field and helps us disguise plays and create mismatches in a LONG ass time.

I think you're mistaking truth for subjectivity. I see it as Fisher gives a guy a shot, until he knows he's more or less not what he wants on the field.

He went into the last couple of seasons thinking he was going to use one guy and then using another and he generally only plays the guy who has the "hot hand".  He is not a RBBC guy.  He tried it a bit with "Smash & Dash" or whatever nonsense they called White and Johnson, but he quickly stopped using White and ran Johnson into the ground.  Fisher generally he rides a guy, he does not divide carries.  That is why they drafted Gurley.  He is not some RB savant or he wouldn't have drafted Pead so high. He is letting guys go because they are not the guys he is going to run every down, that does not mean that they aren't valid NFL players in a true RBBC.

He went into the last couple of seasons thinking he was going to use one guy and then using another and he generally only plays the guy who has the "hot hand".  He is not a RBBC guy.  He tried it a bit with "Smash & Dash" or whatever nonsense they called White and Johnson, but he quickly stopped using White and ran Johnson into the ground.  Fisher generally he rides a guy, he does not divide carries.  That is why they drafted Gurley.  He is not some RB savant or he wouldn't have drafted Pead so high. He is letting guys go because they are not the guys he is going to run every down, that does not mean that they aren't valid NFL players in a true RBBC.

If you consider the statement I made pertained to Powell being our last shot at an every-down back who can do everything, then what you're saying actually reinforces why I'd use Fisher as an example to make the specific point I did. Thank you.

Are we done here?

Powell is the only RB we have that I have hope for... the other 4 guys were given up on by Sean Payton, Bill Belicheat, and Jeff Fisher. 

Jeff Fisher's win/loss record is about the least relevant thing you could bring up in the context of me pointing out he gave up on a RB. He knows a good RB when he has one, and knows how to get them on the field. 

The bold.

I never argued that he sucked, but in terms of finding a RB (amongst the ones we have) the only one I haven't given up on is Bilal, because the other guys on the roster have all had RB-savvy coaches give up on their 1-dimensional limitations. It's common knowledge, but some of the yokels here love to find new ways to lose arguments.

If you consider the statement I made pertained to Powell being our last shot at an every-down back who can do everything, then what you're saying actually reinforces why I'd use Fisher as an example to make the specific point I did. Thank you.

Are we done here?

Ape wrong. 

You said he was the only one you had hope for.  You also said that Fisher knows a good back when he has one and how to get him on the field.  The fact that you and Jeff Fisher want every down backs is nice.  It doesn't mean either of you know sh*t about RBs or have anything to do with the best way to proceed at RB for the Jets. 

1.  Ivory has already proven to be considerably better than Powell. 

2. The fact that Powell signed on a cheap 1-year deal to be a 3rd down back basically means that all those guys passed on him too.  Hell, the only team linked with him was the Bills with RB-savvy Rex Ryan.

3. You want a Swiss army knife.  That is nice.  Most of us would prefer to use a chain saw to cut down a tree and a nail clipper to clip our toenails.  You can have fun using Bilal Powell for everything, but I think there are more efficient uses of our resources.

4. I know, changing your argument is a staple of your schtick. 

Ape wrong. 

You said he was the only one you had hope for.  You also said that Fisher knows a good back when he has one and how to get him on the field.  The fact that you and Jeff Fisher want every down backs is nice.  It doesn't mean either of you know sh*t about RBs or have anything to do with the best way to proceed at RB for the Jets. 

1.  Ivory has already proven to be considerably better than Powell. 

2. The fact that Powell signed on a cheap 1-year deal to be a 3rd down back basically means that all those guys passed on him too.  Hell, the only team linked with him was the Bills with RB-savvy Rex Ryan.

3. You want a Swiss army knife.  That is nice.  Most of us would prefer to use a chain saw to cut down a tree and a nail clipper to clip our toenails.  You can have fun using Bilal Powell for everything, but I think there are more efficient uses of our resources.

4. I know, changing your argument is a staple of your schtick. 

I qualified those comments for 80 and someone else in the thread, explaining I was talking about having an every down back who gives our offense more versatility several times now. You don't read. Not my fault. Absolutely doesn't make me wrong.

I never said Ivory was worse than Powell. I said Powell is the only one I have hope for for bringing every-down versatility to our offense. Ivory, Stacy and Ridley have had coaches give up on them because they cannot do that. Not wrong, you just don't know how to interpret more than one post at a time.

"All those guys" couldn't have passed on Powell, if they didn't have him rostered. Dumb argument is dumb, and irrelevant to boot.

I want versatility for our passing game, in a passing league. I never said I don't want Ivory on the field. I acknowledged him as 1-dimensional. Bilal Powell is the only guy I have hope in (like I said) to give us versatility in the passing game. A back that can be on the field for any and every down. Doesn't mean I'm advocating against a committee, it means I'm  hopeful that when Powell gets on the field, defenses will still have to defend the run and pass, while when Ivory is on the field, the tape will eventually show they can over-commit a little to defending the run. I don't know how or why this is lost on you.

I'm not actually changing my argument at all. I stick by what I said. Your are vastly mistaking the over-explanation that happens when people think they understand something they do not for "changing the argument". 

Want to keep going? Or did it just sink in... give it a minute... 

I qualified those comments for 80 and someone else in the thread, explaining I was talking about having an every down back who gives our offense more versatility several times now. You don't read. Not my fault. Absolutely doesn't make me wrong.

I never said Ivory was worse than Powell. I said Powell is the only one I have hope for for bringing every-down versatility to our offense. Ivory, Stacy and Ridley have had coaches give up on them because they cannot do that. Not wrong, you just don't know how to interpret more than one post at a time.

"All those guys" couldn't have passed on Powell, if they didn't have him rostered. Dumb argument is dumb, and irrelevant to boot.

I want versatility for our passing game, in a passing league. I never said I don't want Ivory on the field. I acknowledged him as 1-dimensional. Bilal Powell is the only guy I have hope in (like I said) to give us versatility in the passing game. A back that can be on the field for any and every down. Doesn't mean I'm advocating against a committee, it means I'm  hopeful that when Powell gets on the field, defenses will still have to defend the run and pass, while when Ivory is on the field, the tape will eventually show they can over-commit a little to defending the run. I don't know how or why this is lost on you.

I'm not actually changing my argument at all. I stick by what I said. Your are vastly mistaking the over-explanation that happens when people think they understand something they do not for "changing the argument". 

Want to keep going? Or did it just sink in... give it a minute... 

I can read.  Unfortunately, I have trouble reading things that you did not write.  You wrote that he was the only one you have hope for.  You added all the versatility bullsh*t later, primarily because it is obvious to anyone with eyes that Ivory is superior.  You did say the others were one dimensional, but you indicated that you have no hope for them.  Apparently a lack of versatility is fatal in your world.  One dimension is better than none.

Meanwhile, RB-savvy Jeff Fisher managed to succeed with first round pick Eddie George, first round pick Chris Johnson and now burns a first on Gurley coming off a significant knee injury because second round pick Isaiah Pead has not managed to put up career stats that would constitute a decent game in two seasons.

I can read.  Unfortunately, I have trouble reading things that you did not write.  You wrote that he was the only one you have hope for.  You added all the versatility bullsh*t later, primarily because it is obvious to anyone with eyes that Ivory is superior.  You did say the others were one dimensional, but you indicated that you have no hope for them.  Apparently a lack of versatility is fatal in your world.  One dimension is better than none.

If I added it after, then I did in fact write it, but yea... go on.

When people started questioning my comment, I qualified it, because I stand by it. It's my opinion. That's what people do in conversations, they offer clarifying remarks to people that maybe didn't understand the initial remark. It's not an argument, there's nothing for me to "change".

I never said a lack of versatility is fatal, but it is implicit in everything I've said and everything a casual fan knows about football, that a lack of versatility is limiting. I was referencing the lack of versatility when I mentioned coaches giving up on these guys, not implying they suck. If you know anything about each player, why they couldn't get on the field more in their previous teams, then I would expect you to draw that from my comment. Ivory is a beast. I never said otherwise, but he's limiting to the offense. So are the other guys. Powell is the only one that gives me hope for more versatility and less predictability from the RB position. 

The only thing I was wrong about in this thread was assuming some of the simpletons here could exact that much meaning out of an understated post. 

If I added it after, then I did in fact write it, but yea... go on.

When people started questioning my comment, I qualified it, because I stand by it. It's my opinion. That's what people do in conversations, they offer clarifying remarks to people that maybe didn't understand the initial remark. It's not an argument, there's nothing for me to "change".

I never said a lack of versatility is fatal, but it is implicit in everything I've said and everything a casual fan knows about football, that a lack of versatility is limiting. I was referencing the lack of versatility when I mentioned coaches giving up on these guys, not implying they suck. If you know anything about each player, why they couldn't get on the field more in their previous teams, then I would expect you to draw that from my comment. Ivory is a beast. I never said otherwise, but he's limiting to the offense. So are the other guys. Powell is the only one that gives me hope for more versatility and less predictability from the RB position. 

The only thing I was wrong about in this thread was assuming some of the simpletons here could exact that much meaning out of an understated post. 

Calling yourself understated now?  That's too ******* far even for you.

Calling yourself understated now?  That's too ******* far even for you.

When I am succinct, there is too much pressure on you clowns to read into my profound wisdom. When I am effusive, you all get paranoid that I'm talking my way out of something, because my words confuse you too much.

I can't win.

When I am succinct, there is too much pressure on you clowns to read into my profound wisdom. When I am effusive, you all get paranoid that I'm talking my way out of something, because my words confuse you too much.

I can't win.

It's been said better by greater ape's then you... :)

Dr. Zaius: You are right, I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself.

Cornelius: [reading from the sacred scrolls of the apes] Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.

Beli likes more versatile backs like Blount.

Cute, but the versatility came from Vereen. Blount did for Beli what I expect Ivory to do for us, which is great, but when we need to pass we need more than a battering ram out there. When Blount was on the field, no team was concerned he'd be used as a receiver. Brady being the QB is the only thing that stopped teams from stacking the box vs. Blount. We don't have Brady... so it would be good for us to have a RB that is a dual threat.

Cute, but the versatility came from Vereen. Blount did for Beli what I expect Ivory to do for us, which is great, but when we need to pass we need more than a battering ram out there. When Blount was on the field, no team was concerned he'd be used as a receiver. Brady being the QB is the only thing that stopped teams from stacking the box vs. Blount. We don't have Brady... so it would be good for us to have a RB that is a dual threat.

He let Vereen go the same time he let Ridley go.

And Ivory is not Blount.

Ape wants a RB who can be a dual threat, and suggests that should be Powell.  lol.

If the dual threat is blocking and not fumbling, Powell is your guy. However, if you're trying to scare a defense, or have a RB the D has to account for, then he's not what you're looking for. 

Powell is a JAG.  Since we've been obsessed with JAG's as a fanbase for a long time now, I guess it should be no surprise that even the wise, misunderstood Ape falls for it too.

Ape wants a RB who can be a dual threat, and suggests that should be Powell.  lol.

If the dual threat is blocking and not fumbling, Powell is your guy. However, if you're trying to scare a defense, or have a RB the D has to account for, then he's not what you're looking for. 

Powell is a JAG.  Since we've been obsessed with JAG's as a fanbase for a long time now, I guess it should be no surprise that even the wise, misunderstood Ape falls for it too.

I didn't suggest it should be, I said I hope it can be. Big difference, dumb brains.

He let Vereen go the same time he let Ridley go.

And Ivory is not Blount.

He also acquired several guys to replace Vereen's versatility. While he gave up mid-season on Ridley several times over the past couple years, benching him in favor of Blount, Gray and even that other dude that just hangs around on their roster... big back, slow, versatile... **** is his name?

Blount has sucked everywhere except in New England where he thrives behind the holding of of the offensive line and against defenses that are always dropping extra men into coverage, because Brady. Like I said.

Blount is otherwise 3 yards and a cloud of dust. I read a stat some time last year, when he was still in Pittsburgh before the shenanigans that got him back to the Patritos, about how remarkably back his yards after initial contact were, considering his size. Ivory is way better than Blount on raw talent. Blount's numbers are more about defenses giving the Pats the run to mitigate the damage Brady does to them.

He also acquired several guys to replace Vereen's versatility. While he gave up mid-season on Ridley several times over the past couple years, benching him in favor of Blount, Gray and even that other dude that just hangs around on their roster... big back, slow, versatile... **** is his name?

Blount has sucked everywhere except in New England where he thrives behind the holding of of the offensive line and against defenses that are always dropping extra men into coverage, because Brady. Like I said.

Blount is otherwise 3 yards and a cloud of dust. I read a stat some time last year, when he was still in Pittsburgh before the shenanigans that got him back to the Patritos, about how remarkably back his yards after initial contact were, considering his size. Ivory is way better than Blount on raw talent. Blount's numbers are more about defenses giving the Pats the run to mitigate the damage Brady does to them.

Wonderful.  That doesn't change that he went with Blount instead of Vereen. He even went with Jonas Gray over Vereen.

You were using his failure to re-sign Ridley as a big "a-ha" while touting Vereen as Belichick's preferred option. Except it isn't true. He preferred Blount in there and let go of Vereen just like he let go of Ridley. 

And BB knew what Ridley was and what he wasn't when he drafted him. Ditto Vereen. Which is why he drafted them with back to back picks in the first place. Ridley (when healthy and holding onto the ball) is the 2-down back. Vereen goes in on passing downs and occasionally as a change of pace back (or to give Ridley a blow). Which is what we're going to use Powell for (and a role he'll do adequately, even if only for another season). On obvious passing downs, throw in the best pass-protector/receiver, who doesn't necessarily have to be a particularly fast or powerful or special runner out of the backfield.

I like RBBC unless you've got someone truly special with unique ability (Peterson, Lynch, Charles, etc.). Otherwise you tailor usage to who you've got, rather than force-feed who you've got into a preconceived idea that all backs need to be equally multi-dimensional. In practice, most of those types end up being jack of all trades master of none (like many things in life). 

I think where we disagree is I don't think Ivory is such this awful receiver that he simply must come off the field if we're not just ramming it up the gut. We can (and did) call pass plays with him out there. Every time he's in there isn't required to be some form of sending semaphore code to the defense that we're running it (that you're making it out to be). Are there better other receivers? Yes, absolutely. Does that make those others better overall players to have on the field because it "confuses" the defense? No. 

I can't win.

Isn't that a good thing for you? You wanted the first overall pick for the Jets because "they were out of the playoff hunt" and it was "meaningless wins" after that. Smart cookie, except, in your book, 31 teams had a meaningless season so I guess you're glad we weren't the Seahawks, who had the worst season out of all the meaningless teams. 

And I think I know why you're pissed off about Ivory. You wanted CJ0K cuz he was your dual and triple and quad threat and the most versatile and homerun hitter and and and me first guy. How did that versatility work out? Nobody wants his versatility in the NFL. Did I mention he had a better YPC than Ivory? And more catches? 

Really?  Who?

As far as I know they haven't made any move at RB.  They signed Cadet, a kick returner that the Saints - RB-savvy Sean Payton - didn't tender.  He's hardly a balanced back since he has almost no carries.  Other than that they have James White an underwhelming 2014 pick that has looked good in camp, but not during games and a bunch of guys who don't catch -STer Bolden, Jonas Gray.  I guess they also have the kid from Stanford they Ballard'ed from the Jags, but I think he was UDFA level and is coming off a knee.  He's the kind of kid I'd like if the Jets had him.

Wonderful.  That doesn't change that he went with Blount instead of Vereen. He even went with Jonas Gray over Vereen.

You were using his failure to re-sign Ridley as a big "a-ha" while touting Vereen as Belichick's preferred option. Except it isn't true. He preferred Blount in there and let go of Vereen just like he let go of Ridley. 

And BB knew what Ridley was and what he wasn't when he drafted him. Ditto Vereen. Which is why he drafted them with back to back picks in the first place. Ridley (when healthy and holding onto the ball) is the 2-down back. Vereen goes in on passing downs and occasionally as a change of pace back (or to give Ridley a blow). Which is what we're going to use Powell for (and a role he'll do adequately, even if only for another season). On obvious passing downs, throw in the best pass-protector/receiver, who doesn't necessarily have to be a particularly fast or powerful or special runner out of the backfield.

I like RBBC unless you've got someone truly special with unique ability (Peterson, Lynch, Charles, etc.). Otherwise you tailor usage to who you've got, rather than force-feed who you've got into a preconceived idea that all backs need to be equally multi-dimensional. In practice, most of those types end up being jack of all trades master of none (like many things in life). 

I think where we disagree is I don't think Ivory is such this awful receiver that he simply must come off the field if we're not just ramming it up the gut. We can (and did) call pass plays with him out there. Every time he's in there isn't required to be some form of sending semaphore code to the defense that we're running it (that you're making it out to be). Are there better other receivers? Yes, absolutely. Does that make those others better overall players to have on the field because it "confuses" the defense? No. 

Wow, you guys sure work hard to tell me what I meant.

Vereen was used early in games. When the offense was in scoring mode. Blount, Ridley and Gray were used to close games out, or in cases where defense didn't adjust and gave up huge chunks of yards to the RB rather than shifting away from trying to stop Brady. 

I think you go RBBC unless you've got someone who can elevate the offense in any scenario by being on the field. I think you also have to have a guy that can spell your primary, whether that counts as a committee or not doesn't matter. I am hopeful that Powell can suddenly be that guy. Do you guys understand what "hope" means? I prefer what having an Arian Foster do-everything back brings to an offense. Ivory, Ridley and Stacy have all shown they can play. I never said they sucked, and I fully expect us to have a committee... but I hope that the new coaching staff can uncork something in Powell, that hasn't been uncorked by past coaches in the other guys.

Really?  Who?

As far as I know they haven't made any move at RB.  They signed Cadet, a kick returner that the Saints - RB-savvy Sean Payton - didn't tender.  He's hardly a balanced back since he has almost no carries.  Other than that they have James White an underwhelming 2014 pick that has looked good in camp, but not during games and a bunch of guys who don't catch -STer Bolden, Jonas Gray.  I guess they also have the kid from Stanford they Ballard'ed from the Jags, but I think he was UDFA level and is coming off a knee.  He's the kind of kid I'd like if the Jets had him.

James White was drafted to replace Vereen. He underwhelmed, but it doesn't diminish the fact that they were trying to make sure that role is filled long before he walked in FA. There's a third kid in the 3-way competition for that role right now. Bolden actually can catch too, he's just slow as ****.

Not sure why you asked "who?" when you provided most of the answer. 

Isn't that a good thing for you? You wanted the first overall pick for the Jets because "they were out of the playoff hunt" and it was "meaningless wins" after that. Smart cookie, except, in your book, 31 teams had a meaningless season so I guess you're glad we weren't the Seahawks, who had the worst season out of all the meaningless teams. 

And I think I know why you're pissed off about Ivory. You wanted CJ0K cuz he was your dual and triple and quad threat and the most versatile and homerun hitter and and and me first guy. How did that versatility work out? Nobody wants his versatility in the NFL. Did I mention he had a better YPC than Ivory? And more catches? 

The Jets landed Leonard Williams out of dumb luck in this draft. I love how you're leveraging that as some sort of deranged "I told you so". 

I'm not pissed off about Ivory. I don't recall being excited about CJ2K either, I thought that signing was meh. If you are going to be obsessed with me, then at least obsess accurately. 

Archived