NFL do deal for at least 20 more games in London in next 10 years.

Disagree. The league is worth billions and they guard its image.

The image of Brady, Manning, Luck is protected.

Perhaps not in writing but when in doubt, the league and refs give them the benefit of the doubt.

Fairly obvious IMO.

Nonsense. The league could have easily downplayed deflategate. They didn't. How the hell does allowing doubt over the validity of the leagues champions guard the image?

And thinking the league actually slants rules to benefit certain players? None of which are ever on your team? Luck? How have they helped Luck? By having his team get shredded by the Pats? Who were cheating? Wait, the league must be confused. Who to help, Luck or Brady? I thought Manning was helped. Against Brady? How? Against Seattle?

Biggest question is why the hell would you ever watch a game, it's predetermined to you.

Nonsense. The league could have easily downplayed deflategate. They didn't. How the hell does allowing doubt over the validity of the leagues champions guard the image?

And thinking the league actually slants rules to benefit certain players? None of which are ever on your team? Luck? How have they helped Luck? By having his team get shredded by the Pats? Who were cheating? Wait, the league must be confused. Who to help, Luck or Brady? I thought Manning was helped. Against Brady? How? Against Seattle?

Biggest question is why the hell would you ever watch a game, it's predetermined to you.

I didn't say it's pre determined. I said when in doubt, they protect it.

Deflate gate became an issue ONLY because of press coverage.

If the press didn't push it, there would be no hearing etc.

we can disagree here..that's fine. if you don't believe the image of the NFL rides on a handful of players

Then we clearly disagree.

Eastern time it's not so bad. Can't imagine how much it's going to suck having to wake up at 6am to watch a football game for people in the west.

Screw the people out west. MNF ends at almost midnight because of them (when there's a doubleheader it ends after 1 am). And when fans out west are only interested in one of the Sunday early games then it's over by 1pm and they still have a full Sunday afternoon left while it's light out. So they have to get up at 6am once a decade unless they're Jaguars junkies, BFD. Even still, they can record it and watch it while FF'ing over the commercials if they want to get up a little later.

What? A game costs what a game costs, doesn't matter what the conversion rate is. Plus you have a ridiculously higher cost to play in England. Between airfare, both teams in hotels, the cost for documentation overseas, etc, etc. Then add in the NFL doesn't make money on the games, the teams split the dollars. So the minuscule difference in earnings will then be split 32 ways. Hardly a windfall

Theyre doing it to create a wider reach, appeal to a bigger audience and make money through licensing and broadcast money down the road.

Yeah Goodell obviously wants to be an ambassador to the UN.

80,000 seat sold out Wembley stadium, tickets charged at higher face value and in pounds instead of dollar but yeah the extra 10G's in fuel for the charter flights I'm sure that cancels out the profit.

The NFL is pretty much the luckiest company in the world. They have me because it was ingrained into me as such a young child. Now, although I've grown completely cynical and couldn't care half of what I did at 18, I'll still root for the Jets every Sunday (and sometimes the Browns…)

But all in all, the way the Super Bowl is so slow and bogged down by commercials & sideline reports, i.e. everything but the game…and the London games and all the stupid new rules etc etc….I really don't give a **** anymore. 

I didn't say it's pre determined. I said when in doubt, they protect it.

Deflate gate became an issue ONLY because of press coverage.

If the press didn't push it, there would be no hearing etc.

we can disagree here..that's fine. if you don't believe the image of the NFL rides on a handful of players

Then we clearly disagree.

You give players advantages, turn a blind eye to rules etc to protect those players youre helping determine the outcome of the game.  Has to be.

Deflategate became a media issue because the NFL took the balls, announced that they took the balls and announced that it was going to investigate etc.  You have no idea, other than the belief that the Pats get away with everything, that the NFL would have done nothing.  

Every league, every sport, lives on the the popularity of its stars.  Agree.  But thats nowhere near the same as cheating for those players by a league.

Yeah Goodell obviously wants to be an ambassador to the UN.

80,000 seat sold out Wembley stadium, tickets charged at higher face value and in pounds instead of dollar but yeah the extra 10G's in fuel for the charter flights I'm sure that cancels out the profit.

How often are these games sold out?  Any?  Most NFL teams sell out.  I'd bet that the price for a ticket to a skeptical, non football fan audience is lower than in the US.  

And you keep saying the exchange rate.  They don't pocket extra cash because of theres an exchange rate.  You dont even know if the dollar is worth more than the pound, you just seem to think that 1.5 pounds to a dollar means extra money to the US, how

You think moving 100s of people overseas, putting all up in hotels, local transportation etc is 10Gs?  Not too international are you.  Nevermind the cost of work permits etc.  

Simple math, even if they got an extra $20 per tix, which i doubt happens and they sell 80,000 tickets thats thats all of 1.6 million dollars.  If you think the NFL would go through all of what they have to go through for 1.6 mil  good for you.

You give players advantages, turn a blind eye to rules etc to protect those players youre helping determine the outcome of the game.  Has to be.

Deflategate became a media issue because the NFL took the balls, announced that they took the balls and announced that it was going to investigate etc.  You have no idea, other than the belief that the Pats get away with everything, that the NFL would have done nothing.  

Every league, every sport, lives on the the popularity of its stars.  Agree.  But thats nowhere near the same as cheating for those players by a league.

Then we do agree...

ABC most certainly had enough viewers. They did not, however, have enough of a revenue stream.

So they went to cable for more revenue? LOL ok. If they can't haul in revenue theyre not conquiering anything 

How often are these games sold out?  Any?  Most NFL teams sell out.  I'd bet that the price for a ticket to a skeptical, non football fan audience is lower than in the US.  

And you keep saying the exchange rate.  They don't pocket extra cash because of theres an exchange rate.  You dont even know if the dollar is worth more than the pound, you just seem to think that 1.5 pounds to a dollar means extra money to the US, how

You think moving 100s of people overseas, putting all up in hotels, local transportation etc is 10Gs?  Not too international are you.  Nevermind the cost of work permits etc.  

Simple math, even if they got an extra $20 per tix, which i doubt happens and they sell 80,000 tickets thats thats all of 1.6 million dollars.  If you think the NFL would go through all of what they have to go through for 1.6 mil  good for you.

You guys are thinking to small. The NFL doesn't give a damn about the revenue from the game itself. They are trying to market the brand. The more people interested in the NFL, the more people will watch it on tv. The more people watch the games on TV, the more interest cable companies will have in acquiring the rights to air them...which estenially leads to commercial sales. Add on the apparel purchasing, Sunday ticket purchases and etc...there is a ton of money to be made over seas. The NFL could be losing money on the actual game for all we know (doubtful) and they'd still be ahead. Huge market over seas, if things go right over the 10 years, the NFL could increase its revenues by another billion or two annually, maybe more.

You guys are thinking to small. The NFL doesn't give a damn about the revenue from the game itself. They are trying to market the brand. The more people interested in the NFL, the more people will watch it on tv. The more people watch the games on TV, the more interest cable companies will have in acquiring the rights to air them...which estenially leads to commercial sales. Add on the apparel purchasing, Sunday ticket purchases and etc...there is a ton of money to be made over seas. The NFL could be losing money on the actual game for all we know (doubtful) and they'd still be ahead. Huge market over seas, if things go right over the 10 years, the NFL could increase its revenues by another billion or two annually, maybe more.

You guys?

That was my whole point, said this earlier.

So if this is just about "marketing the brand" why not have a game in Brazil which just had the World Cup and is about to have the Olympics?

China has 1/7 the world's population and second biggest economy. Why not have a Seahawks-49er regular season game in Beijing? The NBA and MLB have games in Asia.

Neither game would be profitable. London is profitable up the ass. You guys are drinking Goodell's Kool-aid.

This is all about the green pieces of paper.

So if this is just about "marketing the brand" why not have a game in Brazil which just had the World Cup and is about to have the Olympics?

China has 1/7 the world's population and second biggest economy. Why not have a Seahawks-49er regular season game in Beijing? The NBA and MLB have games in Asia.

Neither game would be profitable. London is profitable up the ass. You guys are drinking Goodell's Kool-aid.

This is all about the green pieces of paper.

Of course it's about money. What else would it be about? London also took priority because it's the most realistic candidate for getting a franchise, which they're still saying is happening by 2022. They've been saying for a while that they're planning for games in China, as well as Mexico and Germany. I would also guess that the political hurdles needed to be cleared in China are insanely time consuming and a totally different animal than getting deals done in any Western country.

Well maybe the personal rewards are enough to justify it, just knowing we're sharing our culture with them.

I get it. The NFL is a capitalist venture but they are taking games away from real fans. If your a jet or dolphin fan and live outside the ny or south Florida tv market you are SOL for the London game.

And then we're supposed to buy this nonsense garbage about the NFL becoming a global game. SKY Sports broadcast NFL games in Europe well before these stupid Wembley games and will after. Hey Roger when is that regular season game happening in a country whose currency doesn't out value the dollar?

Archived