Nick Mangold is limited in New York Jets practice Thursday

Jetfan13

Things are starting to turn around on the injury front for the New York Jets.

On Wednesday, the team announced that Ryan Fitzpatrick would be able to start this weekend despite a thumb injury suffered in their last game in Oakland. On Thursday, they welcomed back another one of their vital offensive players.

Center Nick Mangold was a limited participant in practice today for the first time since suffering a neck injury in the closing minutes of the Jets’ Week 7 contest against New England. Wesley Johnson started in Mangold’s place last Sunday, but the nine-year veteran said he should be able to play against Jacksonville.

Wide receiver Brandon Marshall was limited on Thursday after sitting out yesterday’s practice with a pair of injuries to his ankle and toe suffered in Sunday’s game in Oakland.

Rookie wideout Devin Smith was upgraded to limited participation after sitting out practice yesterday with a foot injury.

Eric Decker did not practice on Thursday with the knee concern he has been battling since the Jets’ Week 2 game against Indianapolis, though he is likely to play in this Sunday’s game. Safety Calvin Pryor (ankle) did not practice for the second straight day, leading to increased concerns about the Jets’ suddenly fallible defensive backfield, and right guard Willie Colon remained out with a lingering knee concern.  

Yikes!!!  This is getting ugly.  The Jags DL in so pathetic, they should just let Mangold rest another week assuming he's not 100%.  Especially considering the short turn around vs. one of the best DL's in the NFL. 

Regarding the WR's:  With Decker, Marshall, Smith - all possibly out, the treatment of Kerley by this regime is trivial, to say the least.  He should give the coaching staff the middle finger if they all cant go and ask them why they dont just run with the greatness of Owusu and Enunwa.  Remember when this fanbase wanted to cut Kerley during the offseason? How awesome would that be right now if these guys cant go...rolling with Kembrell Thompkins as your #1 and having to make major roster adjustments to actually field enough WR's.  

Yikes!!!  This is getting ugly.  The Jags DL in so pathetic, they should just let Mangold rest another week assuming he's not 100%.  Especially considering the short turn around vs. one of the best DL's in the NFL. 

Regarding the WR's:  With Decker, Marshall, Smith - all possibly out, the treatment of Kerley by this regime is trivial, to say the least.  He should give the coaching staff the middle finger if they all cant go and ask them why they dont just run with the greatness of Owusu and Enunwa.  Remember when this fanbase wanted to cut Kerley during the offseason? How awesome would that be right now if these guys cant go...rolling with Kembrell Thompkins as your #1 and having to make major roster adjustments to actually field enough WR's.  

While I was definitely confused by the early-season use of Kerley, I think it's safe to say that's all water under the bridge now.  Even with Marshall and Decker both playing, Kerley has clearly seen more and more playing times in recent weeks, and has justified that with his play.  Barring Smith showing massive improvements, Kerley isn't moving back down below #3 for the rest of the season, and I can't imagine him being too upset about that.

While I was definitely confused by the early-season use of Kerley, I think it's safe to say that's all water under the bridge now.  Even with Marshall and Decker both playing, Kerley has clearly seen more and more playing times in recent weeks, and has justified that with his play.  Barring Smith showing massive improvements, Kerley isn't moving back down below #3 for the rest of the season, and I can't imagine him being too upset about that.

Kerley does have a place in this offense. Maybe not as many snaps as last year but he deserves to be here. Production in his small showings has been hands down solid.

Who are you? :)

Kerley has only been seeing time because Smith and Osuwu have been injured and Enunwa suspended.  This coaching staff seems to play favorites, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if he got zero run when Smith gets healthy again.  Which is stupid.

Who are you? :)

Kerley has only been seeing time because Smith and Osuwu have been injured and Enunwa suspended.  This coaching staff seems to play favorites, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if he got zero run when Smith gets healthy again.  Which is stupid.

i don't think they show favoritism. I think they have had a plan for this offense since day 1 and they want to follow through. They have no dedication to Kerley. They didn't draft him. His production nonetheless has been solid... Problem is although it has been solid. Decker and Marshall are too interchangeable to not take advantage of that. They play slot well and outmatch most corners while JK on the other hand would struggle more and is undersized for what they are trying to accomplish. Personally, I would play him anyway.. He makes catches. He isn't a scrub player. I have held my breath on many 3rd downs where he made the clutch catch for us... With Geno and Sanchez throwing. So I do believe he at least deserves snaps. 

i don't think they show favoritism. I think they have had a plan for this offense since day 1 and they want to follow through. They have no dedication to Kerley. They didn't draft him. His production nonetheless has been solid... Problem is although it has been solid. Decker and Marshall are too interchangeable to not take advantage of that. They play slot well and outmatch most corners while JK on the other hand would struggle more and is undersized for what they are trying to accomplish. Personally, I would play him anyway.. He makes catches. He isn't a scrub player. I have held my breath on many 3rd downs where he made the clutch catch for us... With Geno and Sanchez throwing. So I do believe he at least deserves snaps. 

The fact Cro remains a starter on this team, is a perfect example of showing favoritism IMO. 

If their plan was to play lesser players because of size ignoring their inability to make plays, then I question their plan and direction.  Everything we were sold on about Gailey was his ability to create an offense that caters to the strengths of the unit.  The decision to bury Kerley on the depth chart while being 10x the player of Smith, Owusu and Enunwa would contradict that opinion of Gailey.

And I disagree with that he's undersized for what they're trying to accomplish.  He's played outside, inside and he's been a key part of an offense that has been a top 5 running team for numerous years since he's been with the Jets. 

It's early, Bowles is new and will grow...but after 8 weeks, this regime seems very stubborn in the way they use their personnel.  It's too scripted and deliberate, if you ask me. 

The fact Cro remains a starter on this team, is a perfect example of showing favoritism IMO. 

If their plan was to play lesser players because of size ignoring their inability to make plays, then I question their plan and direction.  Everything we were sold on about Gailey was his ability to create an offense that caters to the strengths of the unit.  The decision to bury Kerley on the depth chart while being 10x the player of Smith, Owusu and Enunwa would contradict that opinion of Gailey.

And I disagree with that he's undersized for what they're trying to accomplish.  He's played outside, inside and he's been a key part of an offense that has been a top 5 running team for numerous years since he's been with the Jets. 

It's early, Bowles is new and will grow...but after 8 weeks, this regime seems very stubborn in the way they use their personnel.  It's too scripted and deliberate, if you ask me. 

I think the fact that they've even been playing him some on the outside more recently is a good sign.  The early handling was definitely strange, but I do think there was more to the recent changes than just injuries to others.  For whatever reason, it seems quite clear that Kerley was in the doghouse early on.  While Owusu was clearly put ahead of Kerley on the depth chart, he's gone now and Kerley's snap count was increasing and Smith's decreasing even before he got hurt, which is why I have to imagine Kerley's increase in play has happened for a variety of different reasons, and won't be changing too soon.  Not to mention, it tends to make a much bigger impression on a coaching staff when a player starts producing on the field during live action, even if they haven't been so happy with what was being seen in practice.  I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but I have to imagine that Kerley has earned his way back onto the field, even if it was a bumpy ride early on.

Archived