Jeremy Kerley ~ ~ ~

kelly

One of the bigger stories of the season is Jeremy Kerley's almost total disappearance in the offense. A player who at one point looked like the man at slot receiver for the Jets and received a nice contract from the Idzik (Idzik'D), is now a spare part depth player. On the season, Jeremy Kerley has only played on 206 offensive snaps, 1/3rd of the Jets offensive snaps on the season.  This is the 3rd highest percentage of the receivers on the team, but consider this: Kenbrell Thompkins has played on 19.5% of the team's offensive snaps (121), and he's only be on the roster for 3 games. Chris Owusu has played 20% of the snaps (124), and he was only active for 3 games. Quincy Enunwa has played on 28.3% of the snaps (175), and he was suspended for 4 games. Devin Smith, a rookie who missed all of camp and preseason, has played on 25% of the snaps (154), and he also has missed 3 games.It appears that the Jets have tried to give more snaps to other receivers over Kerley, though they continue to fall for one reason or another. Kerley, to his credit, has been a good soldier through all of it, but it's strange/interesting that the Jets keep trying so hard to move him out of the lineup. Is it because of his productivity? Probably. After an 827 yard season in 2012, Kerley dropped to 523 yards in 2013 (in 12 games), then down again to 409 yards (playing all 16 games), to 2015 where he is on pace for under 300 yards. What happened to Kerley? I think I've unlocked the answer. And it's my fault. Let me tell you a story.

Jeremy (Jackson) was in what Jeremy refers to as "law school hell." Most law school people refer to it as "print day." To those who have no clue what print day is, allow me to explain it to you. At the end of your first year of law school, after finals have been completed, before your summer job (if you landed one) starts, and when you have absolutely no inclination to do any work, the school cons the students into participating in a 10 day "write on competition" to be a part of one of the school's "prestigious" law journals. To those who perform well enough at write on, or have a high enough GPA, you may get an invitation to be on the school's "law review", the highest of these menial honors that may land you a few more eyes on your resume. Otherwise, you will be on one of the other journals, which as far as Jeremy can determine, are all equal in their prestige and helpfulness (read: none).Being a part of one of these journals means you get the honor of reading, reviewing, and correcting written submissions to the journal. These submissions are generally dreadfully boring articles with titles such as "How land use ordinances have become the new battleground for natural gas extraction in the Marcellus Shale." I caught a few z's just reading and writing the title. They are always full of silly typos, failure to put spaces between sentences, and ridiculously incorrect and nonsensical citations, stuff that a writer would catch if they actually read what they had written before submitting the article to us. Print day is a special day of torture, where you are required to come to the school on a Sunday, sit in a room with a bunch of other students, and read and edit articles and citations together! Fun!

In the meanwhile, fantasy team Jackson 3-16 was in dire straights. It was game day, and Jackson 3-16 had to figure out how to fill his lineup. WRs Brandon Marshall and Keenan Allen were both on a bye week, and there were no adequate backups to fill the final open WR spot. From the waiver wire, Jeremy decided to pick up Jeremy Kerley. After all, he had just put up 97 yards and a touchdown against the hated Patriots in a thrilling victory. He plays for Jeremy (Jackson)'s favorite team, the Jets. It was a sound plan! But alas, as Jeremy was sitting there, reading some boring article about rocks and gas and how they relate to the law, a nagging feeling in the stomach. And it was not the below average Newark bagels he just ingested. It was there: a lack of confidence in his man, Jeremy Kerley. The guy who shares his name! And Jeremy did not believe.At the fortunate conclusion of print day, Jeremy (Jackson) could no longer ignore the impending feeling of doom in his gut. But it was 1:30, and the early games had already kicked off. What was Jeremy to do? Ignore the doom feeling... or act? So Jeremy acted. In one swift, bold move, Jeremy dropped Kerley from Jackson 3:16 and picked up one Marvin Jones from the free agent pool. And simultaneously! A blessing AND a curse! For see, it set Jeremy (Jackson) and Jeremy (Kerley) on paths that went in opposite directions. Jeremy (Kerley) ended the Bengals game with 3 catches for 27 yards, a grand total of 2.7 points in fantasy land. For those who have erased this game from their memory, I am remiss to write that Marvin Jones had a phenomenal game, catching 8 passes for 122 yards and FOUR touchdowns, for a total of 36.2 fantasy points. It was a resounding defeat for JK, as the Jets were crushed 49-9 by the Cincinnati Bengals. However, it was a resounding success for JJ, who used Marvin Jones's output to bring home a 4 point victory in what proved to be a turning point to stopping a 3 game losing streak... en route to Jackson 3-16 hoisting the trophy at year's end. And destroying Jeremy Kerley's career in the process.

Consider this :

• In the 22 games preceding the Bengals game, Jeremy Kerley had 1,146 yards and 4 touchdowns. That's an average of 52 yards per game. In 31 games since the Bengals game, Kerley has a total of 765 yards and 4 touchdowns, an average of 24.67 yards per game.
  • Need more? In his 22 games prior to the Bengals game, Kerley had 8 games with at least 63 yards or more (I'm using 63 yards because 63 yards a game is what you need to average to reach 1,000 yards over 16 games); in the 31 games since, Kerley has had 63 yards or more only 4 times.
  • In 22 games prior to the Bengals game, Kerley had 50 yards in a game 10 times. 31 games since then? Only 5.
  • The big games disappeared also. 22 games prior to the 2013 Bengals game, Kerley had at least 80+ yards 5 times, 90+ yards 3 times, and had a game with 120 yards. 31 games since? Only once surpassed 80 yards, has not hit 90 yards.
  • 22 games prior to the Bengals game, Kerley had 10 games with at least 4 catches. 31 games since? 7 games with 4+ catches.
  • 22 games prior to the Bengals game, he had 13 games with a 20+ yard catch. 31 games since? 7 games with a 20+ yard catch.
It appears that this Bengals game looks to be a point where Kerley ran face first into the proverbial wall. While he's had some decent games since, he almost immediately went from contributor to a guy who never gets any yardage. And it's totally my fault. I did not believe in him.

• 1 month later...

Wide receiver Jeremy Kerley stood in front of his locker Monday morning, a day after the Jets' season ended in Buffalo, answering questions about his future — as he's had to do for much of this season. 

Once a major part of the Jets' offense, Kerley barely played this season under new head coach Todd Bowles and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. Now, it appears unlikely that Kerley will be back next season. His contract has three years remaining (2016-18) and carries a $3.1 million salary cap figure for 2016. The Jets aren't committed that kind of money to a receiver who doesn't play. Kerley's dead money cap figure, if he is cut or traded, is $1.8 million. 

So what the heck happened with Kerley ? 

The short answer: Other players (understandably) took his roles in the offense. The Jets opted for second-year pro Quincy Enunwa, a bigger-bodied receiver who can block better than Kerley, as their No. 3 receiver. And Gailey decided to play Eric Decker more often in the slot, a spot on the field previously occupied by Kerley. 

How steep was the decline in Kerley's usage ?

Well, here were his numbers from 2012-14: 

2012: 95 targets, 56 catches, 827 yards 

2013: 72 targets, 43 catches, 523 yards (in 12 games)

2014: 75 targets, 38 catches, 409 yards 

In 2015, Kerley had 26 targets, 16 catches, and 152 yards.

Those numbers probably would've been even lower if Enunwa hadn't served a four-game domestic violence suspension. In those four games, Kerley had 15 targets, 10 catches, and 119 yards. Besides those four games, Kerley registered offensive numbers in just one other game, against the Eagles: 11 targets, six catches, and 33 yards. 

In October of 2014, Kerley signed a four-year contract extension with the Jets. Now, it looks like the Jets will cut him after just one year of that extension. A fifth-round draft pick by the Jets in 2011, Kerley ranked first, first, and tied for second on the team in catches from 2012-14.But he was really always just a slot receiver, at his core. Which is fine. Except that Gailey decided to play somebody else, Decker, in the slot this season. In 2012, Kerley ran 71.2 percent of his routes from the slot, according to Pro Football Focus. In 2013 and 2014, Kerley's slot route percentages were 77.2 and 78.2. Decker this season wound up running 68.1 percent of his routes from the slot, effectively taking Kerley's role in the offense. 

Decker is a better receiver than Kerley, so it made sense for Gailey to align Decker in the slot, where he could exploit coverage mismatches with safeties and linebackers.This sort of slot usage was somewhat new for Decker, though not altogether foreign. From 2011-13 in Denver, Decker ran 67.4, 20.2, and 32.2 percent of his routes from the slot. With the Jets in 2014, Decker was their No. 1 receiver, so he most often aligned outside. He ran just 15.1 percent of his routes from the slot.The arrival of Brandon Marshall this season enabled the Jets to play their best (and biggest-bodied) wide receiver outside, while sliding Decker into the slot. Between this, and the coaches' admiration for Enunwa's dual skills as a pass catcher and blocker, Kerley proved too one-dimensional, as a smaller, quick receiver. 

Kerley said that "of course" he wants to return to the Jets next season, but he is trying to not ponder his future."When get to thinking about all that, man, honestly, it gives me a headache," he said. "So I ain't worried about it. I think, honestly, [this season] really tested a lot about my character. I think I handled it pretty good. I've just got to get better, and keep doing what I'm doing, and everything will take care of itself." 

Does he think he had a fair chance to demonstrate his skills ?

"I don't know if anybody is given a fair opportunity in this league," he said. "I'm happy that a lot of guys who didn't get a chance to prove themselves last year, they got a chance to do some good things. Quincy, I'm happy for him. That's my guy."

Kerley, taking the high road, appreciates the opportunity the Jets gave him, by drafting him."It was everything," he said. "They gave me my opportunity, to showcase what I had. But as far as everything else, man, that speaks for itself. I laid my season out, I laid everything out, everything I had. Every time I went out on the field, I gave everything I had. So that speaks for itself." Kerley said in late November that he had indeed thought about wanting a trade, so he could go somewhere else and get a better shot at playing more. Of course, it's unlikely another team would take on his contract at this point, since he has cap figures of $3.6 million and $4.1 million in 2016 and 2017. 

So it looks like Kerley will have to start fresh elsewhere after being released. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/01/where_did_things_go_wrong_with_jeremy_kerley_and_t.html#incart_river_index

NE is hurting for WR, but even then, he doesn't make the team.  Kerley is the small guy with good hands.  NE has two of them; the difference is that they are quicker and faster. NE needs bigger stronger faster WRs.  Kerley will likely go where there is a young QB who needs a stable slot 3-rd down receiver. I wish him well.

• 1 year later...

-- A look at the New York Jets' weekly stock watch, examining the risers and fallers from Sunday's 24-17 loss to the New England Patriots :

~ ~  THREE UP

WR Jeremy Kerley : He's not perfect anymore, but he made two huge receptions -- 30 and 31 yards, the latter for a touchdown. Like Jermaine Kearse and a handful of others, Kerley arrived at the end of the preseason, but he already has established himself as one of the most reliable receivers. He has 19 catches on 20 targets, his first "miss" coming Sunday. There goes that 1.000 batting average.

rest of above article : 

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/72138/jamal-adams-coaching-decisions-under-scrutiny-in-jets-loss

• 3 weeks later...

Archived