Giant’s humiliating lesson: Don’t trash-talk Brandon Marshall’s wife

Ken Schroy

Talk trash about Brandon Marshall’s wife at your peril. The Giants learned that the hard way Sunday as an insult from veteran defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins just before halftime inspired Marshall, and helped the Jets rally to a 23-20 overtime victory at MetLife Stadium. Jenkins said something Marshall wouldn’t reveal about his “girl,” not realizing the Jets star wideout is married. Incensed, Marshall went after the much-bigger Jenkins as the teams were about to go into the halftime break, then went wild in the second half. Marshall finished with 12 catches for 131 yards and a touchdown, with eight of those catches, 81 of those yards and the score all coming after Jenkins’ ill-fated insult. “I believe in trash talk and some guys get up for that, but some things are off limits,” Marshall said. “He made a comment — he said my ‘girl’ — and he didn’t know I was married. “I don’t care. There’s not enough money on this earth for someone to disrespect my wife. I just tried to take it out in between the lines. I don’t care about anything at that point.” Marshall and Jenkins weren’t flagged for their little dustup, and it appeared to fire up the Jets as a whole a lot more than it did the Giants. Not only did Marshall pile up big numbers after going at Jenkins, but the Jets’ defense pitched a shutout in the second half and overtime. Although Marshall said Jenkins apologized during the two-minute warning after realizing Marshall was married, that was too late to save the Giants. Marshall’s biggest catch of the game — a 9-yard TD grab in traffic — tied the game 20-20 with 27 seconds left in regulation. “That dude, he makes my job so easy,” Fitzpatrick said. “We got single coverage [on the wide side of the field] and basically just threw it up and said, ‘Brandon, make a play.’ [He] came down with it, made it look easy. It’s not easy to do, but he made it look easy.”

Marshall said the touchdown was a blur. “I wasn’t thinking,” he said. “We still got time on the clock, we’ve got to believe. It’s been that way all year with this team. We never give up.” Marshall said Jenkins was “a good sport” because he took back his comments, so there was no bad blood after the game. “He thought maybe I had four or five girls or something,” Marshall said. “But I’m happily married to one woman. I love my wife, Michi Marshall, and I will fight to the end for her. “So there you go, baby. He’s 500 pounds [305 pounds, actually], and I went after him for you.”

Proving that chivalry — unlike Jenkins’ team Sunday afternoon — is not dead.

http://nypost.com/2015/12/06/giants-humiliating-lesson-dont-trash-talk-brandon-marshalls-wife/

Archived