Stevan Ridley ~ ~ ~

kelly

When the Jets signed free agent running back Stevan Ridley this past offseason, it seemed entirely possible that he could be their No. 2 back, behind Chris Ivory, or even share No. 1 back duties with Ivory. 

Things haven't worked out like that for Ridley, a fifth-year pro who spent his first four seasons in New England.

He ran for 66 yards per game during his final three seasons with the Patriots, but they opted to not re-sign him, coming off a torn ACL and MCL. Ridley began 2015 on the physically unable to perform list. He has played in four games. His numbers are modest, to say the least: 12 carries for 4 yards and zero touchdowns. He hasn't carried more than four times in any game. Before last Sunday's win over the Giants, he had nine carries for zero yards. 

Ridley made his Jets debut Nov. 1 in Oakland. He was active for the game, but did not play. Ditto for the next week's game against the Jaguars. In the four games since, Ridley has played eight, nine, five, and five snaps. Just 27 total offensive snaps, with four regular season games remaining for the 7-5 Jets. That is not what Ridley, 26, envisioned when the Jets signed him to a one-year contract with a maximum value of $1.25 million. Now, during practice, he works a lot with the scout team offense, rather than with the starters. 

"We try to get Stevan some reps each week," said offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. "It just hasn't clicked for him yet. Getting up to speed, [and] it's crowded back there, so it's hard to get him a lot of reps. That's a slower process than I think any of us thought it would be." Like the two backs in front of him on the depth chart (Ivory and Bilal Powell), Ridley will be a free agent after this season. It seems possible (likely?) that Ridley won't return to the Jets next season. But what kind of contract will he get in free agency, considering he has barely played this season? 

This week, Ridley took some time to discuss his rough 2015 season, and what the future might hold for him. 

How have you been feeling, with your knee and everything?

"Just sitting and waiting patiently, man. We've got a team right now that's rolling. But I'm sitting here ready, waiting, and just waiting on my number to be called. Right now, I've got to be excited about this last week's win. We showed a lot of mental toughness. I'm hoping that we continue on the track that we're going, because we're blooming at the right time, man."

Chan Gailey mentioned things just haven't clicked for you yet. Why do you think that is? Rust coming off the knee injury? Unfamiliarity with the offense?

"I don't know. You'll have to ask coach about that one, because I really don't know what he means by that. Really, that's up to him. If that's his feelings and that's what he's seeing, then as a player, I just have to continue to get better every day. That's always been my approach. I let my play speak for itself. Life is about patience, man. If it was up to me, I would've been activated Week 1. But it didn't go that way. It could be any day that my number gets called and they're going to be depending on me, and I just have to be ready. If not, I just have to go out there and be a great team player and try to bust my butt in practice [on the scout team], and make sure these guys are getting the looks that they need." 

What's your comfortable level with the offense and the offensive line?

"I feel great. I honestly do. I think with the right touches, I can go out there and show what I can do. But right now, Chris is having a hell of a year, and Bilal is coming in and doing some exceptional things when we need him to. Right now, my number has not been called. My faith is in the Lord, and I know that he has a plan for me. My grind doesn't change, whether it's 15 reps or one rep." 

What do you think the future holds for you next season?

"I don't know, man. I'm going to be playing football. That's what I do. I'm five years in right now. I'm a year off of an injury, and I feel good. My body is fresh. I'm just waiting on the call, man. There's no doubt in what I can do. It's just, I have to wait and be patient and let these guys do their thing. I'm a new guy to this team. This is my first year in this offense. These are guys that have been here. These are guys that all have contracts up at the end of this year, so everybody is just trying to push and get as much playing time as we can. But we all know as players, that's not our call. For me, I can't get caught up in the highs and lows. It's been a little bit more lows than highs for me this year, but I think that makes you into the man that you are. You have to weather the storm. I'm thankful for this job that I have. This is a great opportunity. But I can't take away from the fact that I'm ready to play football, and I just want to get out there with my team and be able to produce on Sundays." 

Since you will be a free agent, has it been tough for you this season to not get the chance to show that you're back from the knee injury? 

"This goes back to the highs and lows, man. It's very easy to get caught up and look at this as a low. But what I have to look at is where I was a year ago. If I can finish the season healthy, I have a chance to go do whatever I can — multi-year, one year, whatever a team sees. It takes one team, and it could be the New York Jets. I have to look at where I am right now. I'm healthy. I'm ready go. I just have to practice some patience right now. If it was up to me, I would've been in weeks ago. Right now, my body is fresh. I feel good. I feel more comfortable behind this offensive line. I feel more comfortable in this offense. This year, I have already taken major steps, as far as where I was last year. Because last year, being a free agent, and my contract being up, and having an ACL [tear], that's no good, man. That's tough to deal with. I'm miles ahead of where I was last year, and I just have to keep pushing. To be Year 5 in my career, I still have plenty of time." 

You have a Jets tattoo on your right forearm, correct? 

"I've got everywhere I played [tattooed], all the way since I started football. I pretty much have a tattoo of the timeline, of every team that I've been on along the way. This whole opportunity, it's been a dream. It's something I never thought would be real. When it started to come along, and I looked back at the history of how blessed I've been, it gave me a story to write my tattoos about." 

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/12/stevan_ridley_tries_to_weather_more_lows_than_high.html#incart_river_index

Archived