NFL in Talks With Apple, Google Over Game Streams

Ken Schroy

Apparently emboldened by the success of Yahoo's successful NFL streaming attempt last year, the NFL is slowly but surely joining broadband users in the modern age. The league recently noted that it's planning to sell the non-exclusive streaming rights to all Thursday night games next season. But Reuters notes that the NFL has also been in talks with both Apple and Google about selling the exclusive streaming rights to the three games that will be played in London next year:

The National Football League is planning to live-stream all three games scheduled to be played in London next season, and Apple and Alphabet subsidiary Google are among the technology companies in talks to buy the rights to conduct the streams, said two sources familiar with the situation...Separately, the NFL has put its Thursday night football package, which will include live-streaming rights, out to bid and is expected to announce a decision by the Super Bowl in February, according to one of the sources. It remains unclear if rights to stream the games are being sold individually or as a bundle, or how much the NFL intends to ask for the honor. It's estimated that Yahoo paid the NFL around $17 million for the rights to stream last year's game between the Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars. Apparently emboldened by the success of Yahoo's successful NFL streaming attempt last year, the NFL is slowly but surely joining broadband users in the modern age. The league recently noted that it's planning to sell the non-exclusive streaming rights to all Thursday night games next season.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/NFL-in-Talks-With-Apple-Google-Over-Game-Streams-136067http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/NFL-in-Talks-With-Apple-Google-Over-Game-Streams-136067

Can't  wait til all sports are streaming.  I'll gladly pay per game if it means I can cancel cable. 

Same.

The only reason I still have cable is for live sports.

I watch everything else via Netflix, Prime, Hulu and HBOGO.

Can't  wait til all sports are streaming.  I'll gladly pay per game if it means I can cancel cable. 

Same.

The only reason I still have cable is for live sports.

I watch everything else via Netflix, Prime, Hulu and HBOGO.

What's the difference?  Where I am most of the internet providers are cable providers and the cost is similar with or without the cable package.  Especially after the "promotional period" expires.

What's the difference?  Where I am most of the internet providers are cable providers and the cost is similar with or without the cable package.  Especially after the "promotional period" expires.

We want to drop our phone too. My wife said it would be cheaper, I take her word for it... because having a frugal wife is a good thing, and I try to encourage it. :)

We want to drop our phone too. My wife said it would be cheaper, I take her word for it... because having a frugal wife is a good thing, and I try to encourage it. :)

I tried to drop my phone, but it was going to cost an extra $7 a month.  I have a number, I don't actually have a landline phone and I don't even know the number.

I tried to drop my phone, but it was going to cost an extra $7 a month.  I have a number, I don't actually have a landline phone and I don't even know the number.

You may be right, it may amount to a trip to Wendy's in savings... I haven't investigated it yet, and I won't, until there is a way to get sports independent of paying for cable. In the meantime, like I said, I don't discourage my wife from thinking about ways to save money. 

You may be right, it may amount to a trip to Wendy's in savings... I haven't investigated it yet, and I won't, until there is a way to get sports independent of paying for cable. In the meantime, like I said, I don't discourage my wife from thinking about ways to save money. 

Not sure you understood me.  It cost $7 more to have no phone.  I save $7 by having a phantom number.  They have quite a racket.

Archived