Report: Jets set to Name Boyer Special Teams Coach

JetNation

By Glenn Naughton   Almost a month after firing special teams coach Bobby April, the Jets are expected to announce his replacement, former Colts assistant special teams coordinator Bryant Boyer. The Jets are hiring Brant Boyer as their special teams coordinator, ESPN Insider Adam Caplan reported. This will… https://t.co/byylKVaEym — Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) February 3, […]

Click here to read the full story...

More background info from NBC Sports

Report: Jets hiring Brant Boyer to coach special teams

of the Indianapolis Colts during the game against the Houston Texans at Lucas Oil Stadium on December 14, 2014 in Indianapolis, Indiana.Getty Images

The Jets are hiring Brant Boyer as their new special teams coach, ESPN’s Adam Caplan reported Tuesday.

Boyer has spent the last four seasons as assistant special teams coach with the Colts, his first full-time coaching job. He served as a coaching intern with the Giants and Browns following a 10-year playing career. 

Boyer replaces Bobby April, who was fired last month after the Jets’ special teams faltered late last season. 

Boyer was a longtime special teams player for the Jaguars (1995-2000) and Browns (2001-03) and at one time served as a captain in both Jacksonville and Cleveland. He played in 129 career games. 

The Jets can't manage to get anyone decent in town. The HC throws the ST coordinator under the bus after the season as Mike Westhoff says and neglects putting any talent for the coordinator to work with on the team. So they resort to hiring a virtual unknown from the Colts. Sounds like another disaster waiting to happen....

The Jets can't manage to get anyone decent in town. The HC throws the ST coordinator under the bus after the season as Mike Westhoff says and neglects putting any talent for the coordinator to work with on the team. So they resort to hiring a virtual unknown from the Colts. Sounds like another disaster waiting to happen....

Mike, is that you? If it is, be a man and come back to coach the ST.

Seriously though, who cares if it's an unknown, as long as he can coach. Let results speak for themselves

We really cannot judge that move without knowing how the season went down, we just can't.  On many occasions coaches (the oline is notorius for this) think they canmake chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.  If Bobby april lobbied for Kerley, told the coahes he could work with quickly etc etc then he gets canned, as he should.  We have no idea if April came to the team and complained of bad personell or not.

I do share your concern about hiring an unknown but he hired a very well known and he did a lousy job, I don;t care whop he was given.

Mike, is that you? If it is, be a man and come back to coach the ST.

Seriously though, who cares if it's an unknown, as long as he can coach. Let results speak for themselves

They already hired a virtual unknown and gave him NOTHING to work with as Mike Westhoff claimed ad he's right. WTF is the point of hiring anyone if you plan on giving him sh*t to work with and 100% plan on blaming him for your own personal failures? Mike Westhoff speaks the truth and Jets fans ought to start to acknowledge it.

They already hired a virtual unknown and gave him NOTHING to work with as Mike Westhoff claimed ad he's right. WTF is the point of hiring anyone if you plan on giving him sh*t to work with and 100% plan on blaming him for your own personal failures? Mike Westhoff speaks the truth and Jets fans ought to start to acknowledge it.

Because, IMO, coaching ST is about coaching up backups to be the better STs they can be. Being a special teams player isn't a draftable position. You have to coach them into that role. Hence, coaching is important

You're really saying Bobby April was "a virtual unknown"?

Ohhhh no!!!!  Really?  JI loves you man, stay there!

Ohhhh no!!!!  Really?  JI loves you man, stay there!

OMG it must be the same genius that thought Rex Ryan should have been fired for having a foot fetish. Or maybe because he thought Vladimir Ducasse was an absolute stud?

Snell, please face it, you're a dingbat.

OMG it must be the same genius that thought Rex Ryan should have been fired for having a foot fetish. Or maybe because he thought Vladimir Ducasse was an absolute stud?

Snell, please face it, you're a dingbat.

Ha, I said he should be fired because he's an embarrassment to the franchise and a crappy coach.  I was right.  As for Ducasse, you got me mixed up with someone else. 

Because, IMO, coaching ST is about coaching up backups to be the better STs they can be. Being a special teams player isn't a draftable position. You have to coach them into that role. Hence, coaching is important

NFL front offices draft players with special teams in mind all the time. In fact, most of the late round picks selected by front offices have developing players at a given position assuming they can stick with the team on special teams.

We really cannot judge that move without knowing how the season went down, we just can't.  On many occasions coaches (the oline is notorius for this) think they canmake chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.  If Bobby april lobbied for Kerley, told the coahes he could work with quickly etc etc then he gets canned, as he should.  We have no idea if April came to the team and complained of bad personell or not.

I do share your concern about hiring an unknown but he hired a very well known and he did a lousy job, I don;t care whop he was given.

I'm not debating the firing, Beerfish. If you don't do your job, you deserve to be fired and I'll be the first person to say that. But I also see very clearly what Jets fans are all about. If it strokes the team then they are all about it, Westhoff is wonderful. He's the best ST coach ever. He belongs in the Hall of Fame. And so on.

But if he decides to criticize the team? Suddenly he's this bad guy that needs to be put in his place. It's just so predictable.

Fact is, Mike Westhoff is revered figure it Jets lore. He should have gotten an interview to be HC. He knows more about Jets football than you or I will ever know. If he spent any more time on the sideline even after his retirement, he could be a paid consultant.

He's right here and posters ought to realize it. You get out ONLY what you put in. I'm excited about what Mike MacCagnan is doing, I really am. But he neglected ST during the offseason. Todd Bowles needed someone to blame when he laid an egg against the Jets new arch nemesis and missed the playoffs. In fact, he got b*tch slapped twice by Rex. So, YES, I very much believe that Todd Bowles made Bobby April the fall guy. When the fact is, the Jets seasons ending loss in Buffalo had MUCH more to do with piss poor coaching strategy on the part of Todd Bowles than it had to do with terrible special teams. It was terrible all year for crying out loud.

I'm not debating the firing, Beerfish. If you don't do your job, you deserve to be fired and I'll be the first person to say that. But I also see very clearly what Jets fans are all about. If it strokes the team then they are all about it, Westhoff is wonderful. He's the best ST coach ever. He belongs in the Hall of Fame. And so on.

But if he decides to criticize the team? Suddenly he's this bad guy that needs to be put in his place. It's just so predictable.

Fact is, Mike Westhoff is revered figure it Jets lore. He should have gotten an interview to be HC. He knows more about Jets football than you or I will ever know. If he spent any more time on the sideline even after his retirement, he could be a paid consultant.

He's right here and posters ought to realize it. You get out ONLY what you put in. I'm excited about what Mike MacCagnan is doing, I really am. But he neglected ST during the offseason. Todd Bowles needed someone to blame when he laid an egg against the Jets new arch nemesis and missed the playoffs. In fact, he got b*tch slapped twice by Rex. So, YES, I very much believe that Todd Bowles made Bobby April the fall guy. When the fact is, the Jets seasons ending loss in Buffalo had MUCH more to do with piss poor coaching strategy on the part of Todd Bowles than it had to do with terrible special teams. It was terrible all year for crying out loud.

Well all I can say is which is it?  does the coach coach up talent to be good or does he have to have talent?  Was westoff a delux st coach or did he benefit form having leion washington on the field?

i will also say that you should totally separate the coach westoff from the media guy westoff.

You kinda sound like a disaster.

Archived