Free agent targets

Jetster

4 minutes ago, King P said:

If the Dolphins don't bring back Lamar Miller, I'd like to see us go after him

Agreed.  Get me Miller, and Bradford please.  Resign Mo Wilk, tag D Harrison.  Get faster at all LB positions via draft, and sure up Oline with what's left of cap space.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You're right. The Jets should get older, slower, and worse. 

This is in the event the Jets need another season to find a WR to draft. Jerricho Cotchery was always an excellent WR for us. So getting older? Well, I suppose that would happen. But slower and worse is a ridiculously dubious claim.

26 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why? Just draft a younger, equal back that will be much cheaper in the 3rd or 4th round. No need to spend big money or picks on RB. 

I said that with the presumption that we won't give out big money. But as of now we don't have any RBs. We need at least 2. Unless you wanna double dip on backs (which I do not) we will have to sign one. Why not Miller? Many are in favor of bringing back Ivory, and Miller is a better fit for our offense. If he costs too much, then I'd pass. But if we can get him at a reasonable price, I don't see why we shouldn't sign him.

5 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Agreed.  Get me Miller, and Bradford please.  Resign Mo Wilk, tag D Harrison.  Get faster at all LB positions via draft, and sure up Oline with what's left of cap space.

I'm not uninterested in Bradford. He got way better in the second half both of the season and in games, is only 29, has been a good QB and passer before ...OTOH he also sucked half the time. If the Jets believe the inconsistency was a matter of game experience, he's lost alot of time to injury obviously, then he might be the Jets' best shot at a longer term starter this offseason. PFF had him as their 12th best QB in 2015 while his second half DVOA would put him around there.

6 hours ago, King P said:

I said that with the presumption that we won't give out big money. But as of now we don't have any RBs. We need at least 2. Unless you wanna double dip on backs (which I do not) we will have to sign one. Why not Miller? Many are in favor of bringing back Ivory, and Miller is a better fit for our offense. If he costs too much, then I'd pass. But if we can get him at a reasonable price, I don't see why we shouldn't sign him.

Bring back Powell and draft pick. Cheap, effective, don't have to pay out big money for Miller. That's the move. 

13 hours ago, Joejet said:

Bruce Irvin is 28, still in his prime and will probably get big bucks.

He will get big bucks. This scenario is only if we trade Big Mo. Irvin will get half of what Mo will end up with. Leo would slide right into Mos spot, now you would have Mauldin, Harris, Irvin, & a draft pick like Floyd or Ragland. 

Jets need to speed up the 15 yards past the LOS. Seahawks used Irvin to fall to cover a lot. Why? Because Bennett is twice as good as Mo Wilkerson. That's why Mac hasn't signed Mo to the asinine contract I'm sure his agent is looking for. If we don't get a pass rush we could have the best secondary in history. Everyone talked about the Broncos secondary but the pass rush which was 3 times better than the Jets made it all work.

Think I will downgrade Forte to "with some luck." It's doable if Revis is down to restructure, Marshall is willing to extend and free up some cap space for this year, maybe Mangold, and a bunch of obvious cuts are made. Still plenty of that time for that to happen or not happen, there might be better ways to spend.

Lamar Miller would be the perfect pickup for Chan Gailey's offense. He's a deadly threat out of the backfield and an effective runner who suffered from being a part of the Dolphins the last few years. Ivory is probably a goner so he'd fit a big need.

In the right system I think he could be really effective and with the way Gailey started using Powell towards the end of the year, Miller could be a perfect fit.

As much as I have been pleased with much of what our Executive of the Year did last year, my feeling thus far is that we may have left ourselves with too many expiring contracts.  I would thought that some of the happier stories would have resigned or extended already.  For a good number of players that we are assuming will be returning, we are at the mercy of the market.  Except for whomever they franchise, which will be someone.  

The flipside to this is that it is all part of a long term building plan, and that they Jets did not want to be burdened with long term contracts for players that they did not want to build around.

Let's see what happens.

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Lamar Miller would be the perfect pickup for Chan Gailey's offense. He's a deadly threat out of the backfield and an effective runner who suffered from being a part of the Dolphins the last few years. Ivory is probably a goner so he'd fit a big need.

In the right system I think he could be really effective and with the way Gailey started using Powell towards the end of the year, Miller could be a perfect fit.

Translation: I want to get paid. He'll likely price himself out of the Jets range.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000637474/article/lamar-miller-i-want-the-recognition-i-deserve

Lamar Miller has one goal as he approaches free agency: Sign with a team that will pay him -- and play him -- like a backfield centerpiece.

"I want to be a featured back," Miller told WAXY-AM, via the Miami Herald. "I want the recognition I deserve."

Miller was a curious case in another disappointing Dolphins season. The fourth-year running back was consistently effective when he had the ball in his hands -- averaging a robust 4.6 yards per carry -- but he averaged only 15 touches per game. There were games when Miller fell completely out of Miami's game plans under both Joe Philbin and Dan Campbell.

When asked what would be an acceptable number of touches, Miller replied, "Twenty."

Miller hasn't ruled out a return to the Dolphins, at least publicly. He said he'd "love to stay" in Miami and added his belief that owner Stephen Ross "picked the right guy" with the hiring of Adam Gase as head coach.

Miller is one of the more intriguing players on the market if the Dolphins can't get a deal done. He is young -- he'll be 25 by Week 1 -- and has shown legitimate playmaking ability. If the Dolphins don't pay him like a feature back, another team likely will.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Translation: I want to get paid. He'll likely price himself out of the Jets range.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000637474/article/lamar-miller-i-want-the-recognition-i-deserve

Lamar Miller has one goal as he approaches free agency: Sign with a team that will pay him -- and play him -- like a backfield centerpiece.

"I want to be a featured back," Miller told WAXY-AM, via the Miami Herald. "I want the recognition I deserve."

Miller was a curious case in another disappointing Dolphins season. The fourth-year running back was consistently effective when he had the ball in his hands -- averaging a robust 4.6 yards per carry -- but he averaged only 15 touches per game. There were games when Miller fell completely out of Miami's game plans under both Joe Philbin and Dan Campbell.

When asked what would be an acceptable number of touches, Miller replied, "Twenty."

Miller hasn't ruled out a return to the Dolphins, at least publicly. He said he'd "love to stay" in Miami and added his belief that owner Stephen Ross "picked the right guy" with the hiring of Adam Gase as head coach.

Miller is one of the more intriguing players on the market if the Dolphins can't get a deal done. He is young -- he'll be 25 by Week 1 -- and has shown legitimate playmaking ability. If the Dolphins don't pay him like a feature back, another team likely will.

C-Ya then.... He's got to actually do it before he gets paid like that.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I said I wouldn't care about this offseason, but I've coalesced around these moves:

1. Draft Noah Spence in the first. 

2. Pick up a veteran back who can pick up a blitz effectively and catch a swing pass.

3. Pray for Petty.

Assume "pray for Petty" means your longterm plan ... So you also are expecting Fitz back at starting QB

On 2/22/2016 at 8:32 AM, T0mShane said:

I said I wouldn't care about this offseason, but I've coalesced around these moves:

1. Draft Noah Spence in the first. 

We'd likely need a Shane Ray type of situation for him to fall to us. He's probably a top 5 pick had he not gotten suspended/transferred from Ohio State. 

Archived