Potential cap casualties?

hawk

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Without having to go through a podcast, why would a knee injury keep anyone out a full season other than they always say that they can but never do anymore.  

The time of the season that the injury occurred. Said it takes 9 months to heal. No OTA's. No TC. No Pre Season. Doesn't look like he is a go

7 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

The time of the season that the injury occurred. Said it takes 9 months to heal. No OTA's. No TC. No Pre Season. Doesn't look like he is a go

OK, in other words, hes playing in 2016.  Come on, how many players have injuries that keep them out of OTA's, camp, etc and dont play? 

When did he blow the knee?  November?  December?  9 months gets him to Aug or Sept.

8 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Even if he started the season on the PUP list, he could still come back halfway through the season like Milliner did and contribute (unlike Milliner did). Every body heals differently on different time frames. The Jets should prepare as if he'll miss some time, but shouldn't totally discount him contributing.

36 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

OK, in other words, hes playing in 2016.  Come on, how many players have injuries that keep them out of OTA's, camp, etc and dont play? 

When did he blow the knee?  November?  December?  9 months gets him to Aug or Sept.

I think the more accurate thing to say about Devon Smith is that he is going to miss his second straight pre-season. He was behind the curve in 2015 after breaking his ribs and sitting out all of camp. Now he'll be heading into 2016 without any time in camp with potentially a new QB. I wouldn't be betting on him to contribute much in 2016. 

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

I think the more accurate thing to say about Devon Smith is that he is going to miss his second straight pre-season. He was behind the curve in 2015 after breaking his ribs and sitting out all of camp. Now he'll be heading into 2016 without any time in camp with potentially a new QB. I wouldn't be betting on him to contribute much in 2016. 

We can hope he got enough in during the season and will benefit from video and classroom this offseason into Sept.  But thats still far different from he wont be able to suit up and play next season. 

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

Agreed.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Even if he started the season on the PUP list, he could still come back halfway through the season like Milliner did and contribute (unlike Milliner did). Every body heals differently on different time frames. The Jets should prepare as if he'll miss some time, but shouldn't totally discount him contributing.

Missing two training camps, practices and OTA's is very difficult. Then adding in a possible new QB. I would not be counting on him at all. If he can contribute anything that would be a plus. He is not a good Special Teams player either. Even when he did play last season he dropped some sure fire passes when Fitz was able to reach him.

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

Missing two training camps, practices and OTA's is very difficult. Then adding in a possible new QB. I would not be counting on him at all. If he can contribute anything that would be a plus. He is not a good Special Teams player either. Even when he did play last season he dropped some sure fire passes when Fitz was able to reach him.

He was actually an excellent special teams gunner at Ohio State. Just FYI. 

Posted this mores because what I found MOST interesting was that Vikes might cut former #3 overall from 2012 LT Matt Kalil:

ESPN Vikings reporter Ben Goessling reports Minnesota is "very much in" on free agent G/T Kelechi Osemele.

Osemele's market is white-hot after one day of the "legal tampering" period. The Raiders and Vikings seem to be very interested in the versatile soon-to-be 27-year-old, and we'd expect many more teams to be connected to Osemele before Wednesday. In Minnesota, Osemele could be signed to play left tackle where the Vikings can release incumbent LT Matt Kalil and clear $11.096 million. Osemele is fully expected to land $10 million-plus per year this week.

Mar 7 - 11:15 P

Just throwing it out there & see what sticks to the wall. Ignore the Freeman part & focus on the 40 year old Hasslebeck; Steve Deberg Part Deux?

Colts released QB Josh Freeman.

Signed as an emergency stop-gap prior to Week 17, Freeman was expected to compete for a backup role behind Andrew Luck. With Freeman gone and Matt Hasselbeck not expected to return, the Colts have to find a capable backup this offseason. Freeman will likely find a home as a camp arm this summer.

Source: Kevin

Mar 7 - 10:24 AM

Hasselbeck led the Colts to a 6-5 record with a 4-0 record as starter at the age of 40, and was the first quarterback in NFL history to do so. Hasselbeck was responsible for 5 of the Colts' 8 wins over the season, despite only starting 8 games.

On February 28, 2016, it was reported that Hasselback would not return to the Colt

Archived