Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

Just now, Mike135 said:

If true, the players take hits to the head on a regular basis.  What's your excuse?

Same thing. I used to play sandlot tackle football without a helmet. But if you read the quotes of his teammates they want him back. And think they have something with him that can win games for us in 2016. When you have that good of a locker room you try to keep it together. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Same thing. I used to play sandlot tackle football without a helmet. But if you read the quotes of his teammates they want him back. And think they have something with him that can win games for us in 2016. When you have that good of a locker room you try to keep it together. 

Ha, well that helps explain things.  Eh, I don't read much into player quotes.  They'll always support the starting guy.  If Bowles announced Geno/Petty/Hack as the starter, we'd start hearing supportive quotes for them.  Hell, Brandon may even move in with him.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Ha, well that helps explain things.  Eh, I don't read much into player quotes.  They'll always support the starting guy.  If Bowles announced Geno/Petty/Hack as the starter, we'd start hearing supportive quotes for them.  Hell, Brandon may even move in with him.

Look Brandon is not famous for getting along with Qbs. That why we got him so cheap. He gets along with Fitz. 

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So where's my quote (un-edited) on that. I said what I said I said. Now does that make sense?

You said 2 years $22M with $16M guaranteed (presumably $11M in 2016 and $11M in 2017). 

What happens if the Jets don't want him to be the starter in 2017? Like if he sucks again or if Hackenberg or Petty takes over halfway and does well the rest of the season. Figuring they don't want an $11M backup QB they cut him, right? But you want to guarantee him another $5M in 2017.

Well what is the effective result of the contract you proposed (or put another way, how many years did he play for the Jets, and how much will the Jets have paid him)?

1 year $16M

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I looked in this thread and Im astonished people still think Fitz can win a Superbowl with the Jets,  Nothing we have ever seen from him with us or any other team even mildly suggest that.  Just wow.

Some crazy sh*t going on in peoples minds. 

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look Brandon is not famous for getting along with Qbs. That why we got him so cheap. He gets along with Fitz. 

When we traded for Marshall, Geno was the starter right?  He was busy gushing over Geno last offseason.

Plus I'm not sure there have been any contract negotiations with BM.  He's still on the same deal we acquired from Chicago.  So it's not like he gave a discount to play with Fitz.  Granted I could be wrong, but I don't remember any contract negotiations.

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So what available Qb do you want in 2016? I mean Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees didn't win a SB  last season, a lot of good to great Qb didn't win it or make the playoffs. We have a chance imo with Fitz to make the playoffs this season. Is it impossible to win a SB with him this coming year. Well who thought the Panthers a year ago would be the best team (regular season) in the NFL and go to a SB. And the Broncos without great Qb play could win it. Hell yeah, we have a good team, a decent coach and a chance. And a better chance with Fitz over Geno. Funny thing is the players feel that way, too. 

Whats funny here is Sperm mentioned Gannon to me then when we pulled up the stats not only did Fitz have better career stats before each player joined their new teams (Raiders/Jets) but Fitz had a better year last year then when Gannon won the MVP. Sure it was a different time but Gannon did what he did because he went to a good football team with solid weapons JUST LIKE FITZ did . Only difference is the Idiot Jets wont pay Fitz and offer him a ridiculous 7 mil. I'm pretty sure Fitz would sign for 10-12 or just 10 with good incentives. Ya see its ok for Gannon and the Raiders But us Jets fans ???? NEVER !! we have much higher standards than that we have to live up to being the Idiots of the NFL. Finding a good fit that helps both parties at the QB position is a rare thing but we're going to just dismiss that because the best argument people have is Fitz never made the playoffs or never won more than 6 games before coming here. They cant get their little brains to wrap around the fact that maybe just maybe the stars finally aligned for the QBless NY Jets

That being said I understand why Macc is holding tough . Every team in the league knows Fitz is a very good fit for the Jets due to his familiarity with the offense and his rapport with our WR's they (and rightfully so) Don't think its a good idea to bring Fitz in at 33 to learn a new system. Jets fans take this smart stance by other teams as no one likeing Fitz as a QB of course they need to pump uip their arguments that make no sense in our current situation. Some Idiots even want another year of Freakin Geno Smith. I mean you can't make sh*t sh*t up.

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Misread your post.  Sorry, thought you were saying we got Marshall cheap because he likes Fitz.  

Saying we got Marshall for cheap because he usually doesn't get along with QBs makes sense.  I don't agree (I think Chicago thought he was declining after 2014 injuries), but it does make sense.

7 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

When we traded for Marshall, Geno was the starter right?  He was busy gushing over Geno last offseason.

Plus I'm not sure there have been any contract negotiations with BM.  He's still on the same deal we acquired from Chicago.  So it's not like he gave a discount to play with Fitz.  Granted I could be wrong, but I don't remember any contract negotiations.

I think they gave him an extension or some kind of a sweetener. It was something Mac had promised him after they made the deal. Marshall hadn't really played much with Geno but he has with Fitz. I'd try to keep together the chemistry the two top playmakers have with Fitz. Plus one of the reasons Forte signed with us was because of what he heard from Marshall about Fitz and the O.

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You said 2 years $22M with $16M guaranteed (presumably $11M in 2016 and $11M in 2017). 

What happens if the Jets don't want him to be the starter in 2017? Like if he sucks again or if Hackenberg or Petty takes over halfway and does well the rest of the season. Figuring they don't want an $11M backup QB they cut him, right? But you want to guarantee him another $5M in 2017.

Well what is the effective result of the contract you proposed (or put another way, how many years did he play for the Jets, and how much will the Jets have paid him)?

1 year $16M

That's standard in many contracts guaranteeing part of the 2nd year but not all. It's something players negotiate for and gives them and the team some security. So they pay Fitz 11 mil for 2016 and can opt out and pay him the remaining 5 if they cut him. Again this is standard. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

That's standard in many contracts guaranteeing part of the 2nd year but not all. It's something players negotiate for and gives them and the team some security. So they pay Fitz 11 mil for 2016 and can opt out and pay him the remaining 5 if they cut him. Again this is standard. 

Right, it's the standard if other teams are bidding for that player as well.  

Is it also standard to give a guy double or even triple what other teams are offering?  It's tough to even say what double or triple is because no team is offering anything.  

I'd imagine a few teams would like Fitz as a veteran backup for say 4mil, but they see his demands and probably have concerns with his mental stability.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Right, it's the standard if other teams are bidding for that player as well.  

Is it also standard to give a guy double or even triple what other teams are offering?  It's tough to even say what double or triple is because no team is offering anything.  

I'd imagine a few teams would like Fitz as a veteran backup for say 4mil, but they see his demands and probably have concerns with his mental stability.

I'll just say this for the last time (I hope). We don't really know if other teams are competing with the Jets like SF or the Broncos or even someone else. Or the salary figures that Fitz has asked for. He'd obviously ask for more than double what he made in 2015 because all he made was 3.25. Standard starters money is over 10 mil per season with more than that guaranteed. The second year could be the sticking point. But imo he has at least two good years left. . 

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I looked in this thread and Im astonished people still think Fitz can win a Superbowl with the Jets,  Nothing we have ever seen from him with us or any other team even mildly suggest that.  Just wow.

And do you think we are winning one with Geno, Petty, or Hackenberg? Fitz went 10-5 in his first year with a team of that had gone 4-12 the previous year, and it's time to give up on him? Franchise record for TD's and playing well down the stretch (2 AFC offensive player of the week honors) except for the Bills fiasco (which was a colossal TEAM failure), and nothing mildly suggests they can go anywhere with him? Furthermore, I think most people acknowledge that the awful special teams likely caused us a game or two last season, but I guess that had nothing to do with missing the playoffs either...If you want a quarterback that is going to carry the team week after week and make up for poor coaching and shoddy special teams, well then, Fitz probably won't get you there. But if Bowles steps it up (he was in all fairness a rookie coach), the special teams becomes improved to the point where it isn't costing the team games, and the defense does its share (and I expect it will), there is no reason to believe that Fitz can't utilize Marshall, Decker, Forte, and Powell to make this a very productive offense next season.

This is a team that went from 5-5 and was considered virtually dead in the water to 10-6 and just missing the playoffs...yeah, they laid an egg in Buffalo, but so did Big Ben and the Steelers the week before against a Ryan Mallett led Ravens team. The Steelers were fortunate to win the tiebreaker, but keep in mind that they were also able to win games when Big Ben was injured with backup QB's because their defense and running game stepped up versus when Fitz went down and the Jets lost to the Raiders and then rushed an injured Fitz in the next week. Furthermore, the Jets down the stretch could not lean at all on their running game and basically had to pass, pass, pass...it finally caught up to them when the conditions became less than ideal to throw. So, yes, I believe this team can succeed with Fitz IF they improve the special teams and punting game, particularly as pertains to field position, if they can get a more consistent running game - Steven Riddley killed them in the finale. The Bills weren't great last year, but they had the number one rushing attack in the NFL and were deep at the position, which gave them a ball control advantage in the finale. Lastly, coach Bowles, a rookie coach who did a decent job overall last season, showed some major flaws in that last game, particularly his inability, or perhaps stubbornness, in not adjusting the defensive scheme, which enabled the Bills to move the sticks and eat up 41 minutes of clock. By the time fitz threw that Ill-fated endzone INT, when they got the ball back again, it was desperation mode.

Bottom line is Fitz isn't going to get you there by himself, but if the team plays solid around him, he can put points on the board and even though his INT's were a bit high (keep in mind that 20 percent of them came in that final quarter of the season), he didn't throw any pick sixes all year and was very proficient in the red zone. Can this team win a Super Bowl with him? That's a tall task for any quarterback, but I believe he is their best chance for the playoffs, and if things don't work out, you have some young guys learning on the sidelines who need time to develop. I like the Hackenberg pick, but to rush him into a situation where he is overwhelmed could be disastrous for his development. I just hope this QB thing gets resolved soon, and I think it's due time to get something worked out...2 years 20 million/14-16 million guaranteed...get 'er done!

17 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It's "standard" in many contracts for a player who is in demand. It's something a team offers a player to get him to sign with them instead of someone else (e.g. Bradford). It's for someone you fully expect - and want - to be with you for that extra season. 

What you've outlined is $11M per year if he's worthwhile to start for 2 more seasons. But if he sucks and/or gets benched for Hackenberg or Petty (or Geno, I suppose), then your yearly rate to him balloons to $16M/year for 1 year. Can you not see this? 

Sorry, but that offer is preposterous. 

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's "standard" in many contracts for a player who is in demand. It's something a team offers a player to get him to sign with them instead of someone else (e.g. Bradford). It's for someone you fully expect - and want - to be with you for that extra season. 

What you've outlined is $11M per year if he's worthwhile to start for 2 more seasons. But if he sucks and/or gets benched for Hackenberg or Petty (or Geno, I suppose), then your yearly rate to him balloons to $16M/year for 1 year. Can you not see this? 

Sorry, but that offer is preposterous. 

2 years is no big deal. And I'm just guessing that it's something he's asking for. To sign a player you have to give them some kind of guaranteed money. That's the way this business operates. All teams take chances when awarding guaranteed money. A player can get injured and they have to pay him. To me based on 2015 Ryan has at least 2 seasons left. If the Jets didn't want Fitz then you're right he wouldn't be in demand. But sounds like they do want him back. Not smart to low ball your starting Qb. . And are you 100% sure that no other teams wants to sign him or would pay him starters money. 

I'll just say this for the last time (I hope). We don't really know if other teams are competing with the Jets like SF or the Broncos or even someone else. Or the salary figures that Fitz has asked for. He'd obviously ask for more than double what he made in 2015 because all he made was 3.25. Standard starters money is over 10 mil per season with more than that guaranteed. The second year could be the sticking point. But imo he has at least two good years left. . 

Fine, even if all the articles stating no other team has interest are completely wrong, we still know that we're here in mid-May.  No team has signed Fitz.  No team thinks enough of him to spend the money to sign him.  Regardless of what the number is.  That's not a good sign. 

Does he have two good years left?  Sure, could have more than two.  But what is a "good" year for Fitz?  Last year was his best.  Yet he still came up short.  I don't want to pay for one, two, three or more of his "good" years.  For 5mil per, sure.  Anything more?  Nope.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Fine, even if all the articles stating no other team has interest are completely wrong, we still know that we're here in mid-May.  No team has signed Fitz.  No team thinks enough of him to spend the money to sign him.  Regardless of what the number is.  That's not a good sign. 

Does he have two good years left?  Sure, could have more than two.  But what is a "good" year for Fitz?  Last year was his best.  Yet he still came up short.  I don't want to pay for one, two, three or more of his "good" years.  For 5mil per, sure.  Anything more?  Nope.

He actually played pretty well with the Texans before he was injured. The guy isn't great but he's a decent starting Qb and (better than a game manager) and has proven he can lead this team. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

So what available Qb do you want in 2016? I mean Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees didn't win a SB  last season, a lot of good to great Qb didn't win it or make the playoffs. We have a chance imo with Fitz to make the playoffs this season. Is it impossible to win a SB with him this coming year. Well who thought the Panthers a year ago would be the best team (regular season) in the NFL and go to a SB. And the Broncos without great Qb play could win it. Hell yeah, we have a good team, a decent coach and a chance. And a better chance with Fitz over Geno. Funny thing is the players feel that way, too. 

I stopped reading when you brought up Bree's and Rodgers.  Nothing after that could possibly relevant.  

And are you 100% sure that no other teams wants to sign him or would pay him starters money. 

Sign him?  No one is sure of that.

Pay him starter money?  YES.  100% sure.  Otherwise it would've been done months ago.

Just now, The Crusher said:

I stopped reading when you brought up Bree's and Rodgers.  Nothing after that could possibly relevant.  

IMO there is nobody on the open market right now better than Fitz. No franchise Qbs are available. Now maybe in a couple of years Hack can be the guy. But remember our last 2nd round Qb pick wasn't. 

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Sign him?  No one is sure of that.

Pay him starter money?  YES.  100% sure.  Otherwise it would've been done months ago.

Well there's been a log jam with two teams rumored to be interested in Fitz and it's all about Kapernick and money. This has not been settled yet even though the draft is over. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

IMO there is nobody on the open market right now better than Fitz. No franchise Qbs are available. Now maybe in a couple of years Hack can be the guy. But remember our last 2nd round Qb pick wasn't. 

Right.  Because it's May and any good QBs who may have been available are already signed.

Fitz is available.  What does that say?

14 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

And do you think we are winning one with Geno, Petty, or Hackenberg? Fitz went 10-5 in his first year with a team of that had gone 4-12 the previous year, and it's time to give up on him? Franchise record for TD's and playing well down the stretch (2 AFC offensive player of the week honors) except for the Bills fiasco (which was a colossal TEAM failure), and nothing mildly suggests they can go anywhere with him? Furthermore, I think most people acknowledge that the awful special teams likely caused us a game or two last season, but I guess that had nothing to do with missing the playoffs either...If you want a quarterback that is going to carry the team week after week and make up for poor coaching and shoddy special teams, well then, Fitz probably won't get you there. But if Bowles steps it up (he was in all fairness a rookie coach), the special teams becomes improved to the point where it isn't costing the team games, and the defense does its share (and I expect it will), there is no reason to believe that Fitz can't utilize Marshall, Decker, Forte, and Powell to make this a very productive offense next season.

This is a team that went from 5-5 and was considered virtually dead in the water to 10-6 and just missing the playoffs...yeah, they laid an egg in Buffalo, but so did Big Ben and the Steelers the week before against a Ryan Mallett led Ravens team. The Steelers were fortunate to win the tiebreaker, but keep in mind that they were also able to win games when Big Ben was injured with backup QB's because their defense and running game stepped up versus when Fitz went down and the Jets lost to the Raiders and then rushed an injured Fitz in the next week. Furthermore, the Jets down the stretch could not lean at all on their running game and basically had to pass, pass, pass...it finally caught up to them when the conditions became less than ideal to throw. So, yes, I believe this team can succeed with Fitz IF they improve the special teams and punting game, particularly as pertains to field position, if they can get a more consistent running game - Steven Riddley killed them in the finale. The Bills weren't great last year, but they had the number one rushing attack in the NFL and were deep at the position, which gave them a ball control advantage in the finale. Lastly, coach Bowles, a rookie coach who did a decent job overall last season, showed some major flaws in that last game, particularly his inability, or perhaps stubbornness, in not adjusting the defensive scheme, which enabled the Bills to move the sticks and eat up 41 minutes of clock. By the time fitz threw that Ill-fated endzone INT, when they got the ball back again, it was desperation mode.

Bottom line is Fitz isn't going to get you there by himself, but if the team plays solid around him, he can put points on the board and even though his INT's were a bit high (keep in mind that 20 percent of them came in that final quarter of the season), he didn't throw any pick sixes all year and was very proficient in the red zone. Can this team win a Super Bowl with him? That's a tall task for any quarterback, but I believe he is their best chance for the playoffs, and if things don't work out, you have some young guys learning on the sidelines who need time to develop. I like the Hackenberg pick, but to rush him into a situation where he is overwhelmed could be disastrous for his development. I just hope this QB thing gets resolved soon, and I think it's due time to get something worked out...2 years 20 million/14-16 million guaranteed...get 'er done!

Not going to make believe I read this post.   Because I didn't, but yes bring Fitz back on the cheap to help the progress of our two young QBs.  Guy was fun to watch and a model citizen.  Thankful for the play he gave .  But let's not get confused of what that was last year.  A big fat failure of a choke job.  You guys act like he is going to get better because he had a great year last year .  No he is just coming back a year older. We seen the best year he is ever going to have last year and Im thankful for it .  Was so great to watch. Well until Buffalo, then it sucked . 

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Where?

Well if you can't even give Fitz that then we watched different games. I thought he did well as the starting Qb and leader of the team. And his teammates concurred. Of course you said earlier that's because they all had concussions. :huh: 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

2 years is no big deal. And I'm just guessing that it's something he's asking for. To sign a player you have to give them some kind of guaranteed money. That's the way this business operates. All teams take chances when awarding guaranteed money. A player can get injured and they have to pay him. To me based on 2015 Ryan has at least 2 seasons left. If the Jets didn't want Fitz then you're right he wouldn't be in demand. But sounds like they do want him back. Not smart to low ball your starting Qb. . And are you 100% sure that no other teams wants to sign him or would pay him starters money. 

2 years is your best case scenario. You literally have no idea "how this business operates" if you're willing to offer Ryan Fitzpatrick a contract that could void out at 1 year $16M if/when Hackenberg beats him out for the job (as the team badly wants to happen).

You are also falsely basing his worth "based on 2015" as you put it. He will never, ever repeat that again unless every good team we play has major injuries again. He is a journeyman QB without the physical skills - or even the on-field mental skills - to put up last year's numbers without last year's perfect storm of easy.

Yes, I am sure no one else would pay him starter money. If anyone else wanted to pay him starter money he was there for the taking. The Broncos are going to force raw Paxton Lynch out there as a freaking rookie instead of attaching themselves to Fitzpatrick. Hell, they chose Mark Sanchez as their stopgap instead. Why? Because he costs $4.5M not $7M, not $9M, not $11M, and certainly not $16M. That is "how this business operates" my friend.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Well if you can't even give Fitz that then we watched different games. I thought he did well as the starting Qb and leader of the team. And his teammates concurred. Of course you said earlier that's because they all had concussions. :huh: 

Well you sure are committed to your argument.  If Fitz is brought back for anything over 5mil, I'll be disappointed in Macc, but hey I'll still root for the guy to prove me wrong.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

2 years is your best case scenario. You literally have no idea "how this business operates" if you're willing to offer Ryan Fitzpatrick a contract that could void out at 1 year $16M if/when Hackenberg beats him out for the job (as the team badly wants to happen).

You are also falsely basing his worth "based on 2015" as you put it. He will never, ever repeat that again unless every good team we play has major injuries again. He is a journeyman QB without the physical skills - or even the on-field mental skills - to put up last year's numbers without last year's perfect storm of easy.

Yes, I am sure no one else would pay him starter money. If anyone else wanted to pay him starter money he was there for the taking. The Broncos are going to force raw Paxton Lynch out there as a freaking rookie instead of attaching themselves to Fitzpatrick. Hell, they chose Mark Sanchez as their stopgap instead. Why? Because he costs $4.5M not $7M, not $9M, not $11M, and certainly not $16M. That is "how this business operates" my friend.

I'm not giving him 16 mil for one year. But I'd give him 22 for 2 with 16 guaranteed. If he's bad you can buy him out. It happens every day in the NFL. But based on this past year he stays both seasons. 

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Agreed .  Bring him back for a reasonable price. We have nobody ready.   Guy is a solid vet and a fine human being.  Two good things.  Middle of the road journeyman QB who had a Willy Wonka Chocolate factory season last year .  Gonna be rice cakes here on out.  

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Agreed .  Bring him back for a reasonable price. We have nobody ready.   Guy is a solid vet and a fine human being.  Two good things.  Middle of the road journeyman QB who had a Willy Wonka Chocolate factory season last year .  Gonna be rice cakes here on out.  

What's reasonable?  Not necessarily what Fitz would accept, but reasonable that'd you'd be happy with?  Then do you think Fitz would accept it?

I'm sure my number of 5mil is less than what most would pay for him, but I think anything more is a waste and hurts the team.

22 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Not going to make believe I read this post.   Because I didn't, but yes bring Fitz back on the cheap to help the progress of our two young QBs.  Guy was fun to watch and a model citizen.  Thankful for the play he gave .  But let's not get confused of what that was last year.  A big fat failure of a choke job.  You guys act like he is going to get better because he had a great year last year .  No he is just coming back a year older. We seen the best year he is ever going to have last year and Im thankful for it .  Was so great to watch. Well until Buffalo, then it sucked . 

Hey the three games we lost due to dropped TD's, punt returns, Ill advised laterals and fumbles DO THOSE COUNT ?????????????????? Or were they Fitz fault too ? Stop the nonsense

And just to clear up your comment on a monumental choke Job NO QB in the NFL throws well into 30 MPH winds NONE that's why you try and score with the wind at your back but in that respect Buffalo Doubled both our WR's and we had no TE and No RB since we decided to use cement shoes Ridley exclusively and sit Ivory. Fitz was relegated to forcing throws he might other wise not make if we could have kept the damn defense honest with some semblance of a running game.

I seriously doubt any of the people on this site watch any other football other than the Jets. I also doubt if they watch any of these Elite QB's get their asses handed to them then go around claiming they suck. Its ******* ridiculous garbage and its getting really old.

24 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

What's reasonable?  Not necessarily what Fitz would accept, but reasonable that'd you'd be happy with?  Then do you think Fitz would accept it?

I'm sure my number of 5mil is less than what most would pay for him, but I think anything more is a waste and hurts the team.

Honestly?  As little as possible . LOL

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Hey the three games we lost due to dropped TD's, punt returns, Ill advised laterals and fumbles DO THOSE COUNT ?????????????????? Or were they Fitz fault too ? Stop the nonsense

And just to clear up your comment on a monumental choke Job NO QB in the NFL throws well into 30 MPH winds NONE that's why you try and score with the wind at your back but in that respect Buffalo Doubled both our WR's and we had no TE and No RB since we decided to use cement shoes Ridley exclusively and sit Ivory. Fitz was relegated to forcing throws he might other wise not make if we could have kept the damn defense honest with some semblance of a running game.

I seriously doubt any of the people on this site watch any other football other than the Jets. I also doubt if they watch any of these Elite QB's get their asses handed to them then go around claiming they suck. Its ******* ridiculous garbage and its getting really old.

"You" "You light up my life, you give me hope, to carry on, you light up my day."  I love you.  All you need to know.  

Archived