After two big trades, a look at Bill Belichick's best, worst deals

Gas2No99

After two big trades, a look at Bill Belichick's best, worst deals

Mike ReissESPN New England Patriots reporter

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick likes to wheel and deal, as the last two days have reminded.

After swinging two major trades that shipped defensive end Chandler Jones out of town and brought in tight end Martellus Bennett with the economic savings on the Jones deal, it sparked the question as to the best and worst trades of Belichick’s 17-year tenure.

Time will tell if the deal with Jones and/or Bennett land on either list, but here’s one viewpoint of his five best and worst that specifically involved players.

BEST

1. Acquiring receiver Randy Moss from the Oakland Raiders in exchange for a 2007 fourth-round draft choice (April 29, 2007).

2. Acquiring receiver Wes Welker from the Miami Dolphins for second- and seventh-round draft choices (March 5, 2007).

3. Acquiring running back Corey Dillon from the Cincinnati Bengals for a second-round pick (April 19, 2004).

4. Acquiring nose tackle Ted Washington from the Chicago Bears for a fourth-round pick (Aug. 19, 2003).

5. Acquiring cornerback Aqib Talib and a seventh-round pick from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for a fourth-round pick (Nov. 1, 2012).

WORST

1. Acquiring the No. 36 selection in the second round to draft receiver Chad Jackson in exchange for 2006 second- and third-round picks (April 29, 2006).

2. Acquiring cornerback Duane Starks and a 2005 fifth-round pick from the Arizona Cardinals in exchange for 2005 third- and fifth-round picks (March 4, 2005).

3. Acquiring receiver Chad Ochocinco from the Bengals for a 2012 fifth-round pick and 2013 sixth-round pick (July 29, 2011).

4. Acquiring defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth from the Washington Redskins for a 2013 fifth-round draft pick (July 29, 2011).

5. Acquiring defensive end Derrick Burgess from Oakland for 2010 third- and fifth-round picks (Aug. 7, 2009)

(Note: This post previously had a different trade in the No. 5 "worst" spot -- a 2014 deal for Isaac Sopoaga -- but after further review and good Twitter banter the Burgess deal has taken its place.)

Alrighty then, have at it gentlemen. For all the props Belly gets, let's see how @PatsFanTX makes some of these turd-esque transactions shine. :D

How will he use this: turd_polish.jpg to make this: golden-turd-award.jpg  

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I was convinced Chad Jackson was going to break the string of terrible Florida WR's.  He was soooo good in college. 

Many said the same thing about Trent Richardson, they get real lazy after they have been paid and go Poofffffffff

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I was convinced Chad Jackson was going to break the string of terrible Florida WR's.  He was soooo good in college. 

Who was the guy who had to retire because of neck injuries? Think he was a Gator...was really good. Played for Giants, among others.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Was scared he was going to pan out. So glad that wasn't the case. 

3 hours ago, Fed Hill Jet said:

Add acquiring Adalius Thomas to the list of bad deals.  Most expensive free agent at the time.  

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5136454

Good call. That was a bad deal, and since the title of this thread and article are about about looking at bill belichick's best and worst deals, I'm glad you included it. 

I'm not a Bellicheat guy, but none of those bad trades were that awful, all things considered.  He always has a ton of mid-round picks.  He rolled the dice and lost on some of those guys, but it wasn't like Washington trading all those picks for RGIII or something.

3 hours ago, Fed Hill Jet said:

Add acquiring Adalius Thomas to the list of bad deals.  Most expensive free agent at the time.  

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5136454

He was decent in 2007, at least, but never played to his contract even at his best.   Then he went completely into the tank and seemed to quit on the team.  

I remember Rex tweaking BB through the media to the effect that the Patriots simply didn't know how to use him, leading to speculation that the Jets would sign him.  But he was D-U-N by then . . . even Rex wouldn't have been able to save his career at that point.  

2 minutes ago, AFCEastFan said:

He was decent in 2007, at least, but never played to his contract even at his best.   Then he went completely into the tank and seemed to quit on the team.  

I remember Rex tweaking BB through the media to the effect that the Patriots simply didn't know how to use him, leading to speculation that the Jets would sign him.  But he was D-U-N by then . . . even Rex wouldn't have been able to save his career at that point.  

Dude was late for a meeting in a snowstorm.  Fell out of his good graces.   Don't know how much that had to do with it but it happened.

3 hours ago, AFCEastFan said:

There is a long list of Ravens defensive players who thrived in the Ravens system with Ray Lewis and went to other teams only to under perform.  AD was supposed to be the answer for the Pats pass rush.  Hence the historical payout.  Total miscalculation by BB. Worse IMO than Haynesworth since they at least recognized that was a risk with Haybesworth and a but of a, reclamation.  With AD, BB struck gold and outsmarted everyone.   Living in Bmore, I remember how stoked the media was with the genius of the AD move.  Then the attention and discussion quietly fizzled away with complete lack of performance

Archived