The road ahead: 2016 version

T0mShane

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

i'd be mildly surprised if the jets didn't draft either lynch or cook, since by the 2nd round these qbs should start falling.  at what point does mccags go all in on a qb?  maybe not this year, with only 6 picks.  at some point woody is going to want to know, though, when mccags is going to get him the franchise qb that enough other teams around the league are drafting and that bradway, tanny and idzki couldn't get.

Plus this draft is supposedly really deep on the Dline, if you got a 4 this year Jets would have 5 picks of the top 115. He could also keep Mo & try to resign him, pray that Sheldon stays out of trouble & has a great year & trade him next year to try to obtain a pick high enough for Watson. There's many ways to skin a cat & finagling a way to finally grab a franchise QB is what every Jet fan I know wants to finally happen some day. Macc would be godly if he could pull that off! Plus is Geno plays well & next year we find out Petty also is pretty good we could be like the Packers, trading these midline QBs for small fortunes. Other QBs are gonna crash & burn, get injured ect. 

Other than trading Mo, I find this to be the sh*ttiest plan around. Going Al Davis in the draft?! Yeah, why don't we start to model ourselves after that ignorant geriatric. I mean after all, it worked wonders for the Raiders and their laughingstock of a team.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

5. Give a bunch of snaps at CB to Milliner and McDougle whether or not they earn them: the most disappointing decision by the new regime so far was the one that resulted in Antonio Cromartie being re-signed and then handed a starting job for the entire year. Not only did he suck, but he blocked any chance for one of the young corners to step in and show anything. CB, like QB, is a position where confidence is everything, and not letting Milliner, McDougle, Darrin Walls, and Marcus Williams to get on the field more because of Cromartie and Buster Skrine was a mistake. The Jets are going to have to make a call on Revis' contract as soon as next year, to boot, so it's imperative to find out what he has at the position immediately.

bowles is one of those dudes where you have to earn his trust to play.  this is just silly

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, we're likely going to enter into an arranged marriage with Ryan Fitzpatrick soon; one that will necessitate cutting Brick or trading Mo Wilkerson, and we'll enter the 2016 season with minimal chance to win a goddamn thing because the QB doesn't throw the football well enough and our pass rush is about as intimidating as Danny Bonaduce. Here, I offer an alternative path ahead that might seem unpalatable to you at first, but only if you're a short-sighted twit.

1. Trade Mo to a sh*t team like the Jaguars or Raiders: they both have cap space. They both have needs on the DL. The Jags, in particular, have tried and failed to land a big DE in free agency, and they still have tons of cap room to get it done. Mo is a lovely young player who will be overpaid for what he is, and though it's usually bad business to trade an established players for picks, the Jets are uniquely positioned to take the gamble. Though Sheldon Richardson is a nutbag and Leonard Williams ran hot and cold last year, there's still enough depth on the roster to mask losing a guy like Wilkerson in the short term. Bonus? Because both the Jags and Raiders are trash organizations, the move will never come back to haunt us.

2. Let Fitz walk: If we're being real here, winning ten games in 2015 with Fitz at QB sucked. It was like repairing your about-to-explode septic tank with duct tape. Now this mother****er thinks he deserves in excess of $10 mil per? Screw him. While he's a good dude and a great leader, and he played somewhat well for us last year, he showed his true colors in Buffalo when he simply needed to play "OK" football. Instead, his limp-wristed eephus pitch throwing arm basically shat away any positive vibes anyone in the building had about last season, and he should be paid based on his full history and not just a couple of games last year against weak sisters. There is literally zero market for Fitzpatrick at all, so the Jets are essentially negotiating against themselves. They should sit tight and hope some dope team like the Rams gets desperate and "steals" Fitzpatrick away in a week or two. 

3. Start Petty, stash Geno: Whether or not Petty is ready is irrelevant. He's been on an NFL roster long enough to be at least competitive against an opposing NFL defense, and if he's not he'll likely never be ready anyway. He's bigger than Fitz, a better athlete than Fitz, and he's got twice the arm of Fitz. Even with Fitz's "career year," he didn't even complete 60% of his passes and his YPA was under 7, which is gross. Would Petty throw a bunch of picks? Probably. But he'd also (maybe) bring back a downfield passing element that was non-existent in 2015. I still weep for Devin Smith when I think of his attempts to fair catch some of the 30-yard bombs Fitzpatrick fluttered in his general direction. Geno throws a nice deep ball too, but come on.

4. Go Full Al Davis in the draft: The Jets defense was one of the least athletic groups in the history of the sport last year, and the offense wasn't far behind. While not being a dope about it, Maccagnan should prioritize triangle numbers over most else at each slot. If, at 20, he's looking at an offensive tackle or WR Corey Coleman, he should take Corey Coleman. If, in Round Two, he's trying to pick between another DE to replace Mo or Su'a Cravens, he should take Cravens. It disgusts me to recall the sight of Calvin Pace and Quentin Coples trying to chase Tyrod Taylor to the edges, and it's time to take some risks on guys who can move, even if you're forfeiting some muscle. On offense, the jets need to find players that can play in space. As neat as it is to watch Decker and Marshall push off on DBs for scores, it'd be nice to have a single dude who can take a five-yard pass and advance it twenty yards by themselves. 

5. Give a bunch of snaps at CB to Milliner and McDougle whether or not they earn them: the most disappointing decision by the new regime so far was the one that resulted in Antonio Cromartie being re-signed and then handed a starting job for the entire year. Not only did he suck, but he blocked any chance for one of the young corners to step in and show anything. CB, like QB, is a position where confidence is everything, and not letting Milliner, McDougle, Darrin Walls, and Marcus Williams to get on the field more because of Cromartie and Buster Skrine was a mistake. The Jets are going to have to make a call on Revis' contract as soon as next year, to boot, so it's imperative to find out what he has at the position immediately.

I like the Partridge Family reference.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, we're likely going to enter into an arranged marriage with Ryan Fitzpatrick soon; one that will necessitate cutting Brick or trading Mo Wilkerson, and we'll enter the 2016 season with minimal chance to win a goddamn thing because the QB doesn't throw the football well enough and our pass rush is about as intimidating as Danny Bonaduce. Here, I offer an alternative path ahead that might seem unpalatable to you at first, but only if you're a short-sighted twit.

1. Trade Mo to a sh*t team like the Jaguars or Raiders: they both have cap space. They both have needs on the DL. The Jags, in particular, have tried and failed to land a big DE in free agency, and they still have tons of cap room to get it done. Mo is a lovely young player who will be overpaid for what he is, and though it's usually bad business to trade an established players for picks, the Jets are uniquely positioned to take the gamble. Though Sheldon Richardson is a nutbag and Leonard Williams ran hot and cold last year, there's still enough depth on the roster to mask losing a guy like Wilkerson in the short term. Bonus? Because both the Jags and Raiders are trash organizations, the move will never come back to haunt us.

2. Let Fitz walk: If we're being real here, winning ten games in 2015 with Fitz at QB sucked. It was like repairing your about-to-explode septic tank with duct tape. Now this mother****er thinks he deserves in excess of $10 mil per? Screw him. While he's a good dude and a great leader, and he played somewhat well for us last year, he showed his true colors in Buffalo when he simply needed to play "OK" football. Instead, his limp-wristed eephus pitch throwing arm basically shat away any positive vibes anyone in the building had about last season, and he should be paid based on his full history and not just a couple of games last year against weak sisters. There is literally zero market for Fitzpatrick at all, so the Jets are essentially negotiating against themselves. They should sit tight and hope some dope team like the Rams gets desperate and "steals" Fitzpatrick away in a week or two. 

3. Start Petty, stash Geno: Whether or not Petty is ready is irrelevant. He's been on an NFL roster long enough to be at least competitive against an opposing NFL defense, and if he's not he'll likely never be ready anyway. He's bigger than Fitz, a better athlete than Fitz, and he's got twice the arm of Fitz. Even with Fitz's "career year," he didn't even complete 60% of his passes and his YPA was under 7, which is gross. Would Petty throw a bunch of picks? Probably. But he'd also (maybe) bring back a downfield passing element that was non-existent in 2015. I still weep for Devin Smith when I think of his attempts to fair catch some of the 30-yard bombs Fitzpatrick fluttered in his general direction. Geno throws a nice deep ball too, but come on.

4. Go Full Al Davis in the draft: The Jets defense was one of the least athletic groups in the history of the sport last year, and the offense wasn't far behind. While not being a dope about it, Maccagnan should prioritize triangle numbers over most else at each slot. If, at 20, he's looking at an offensive tackle or WR Corey Coleman, he should take Corey Coleman. If, in Round Two, he's trying to pick between another DE to replace Mo or Su'a Cravens, he should take Cravens. It disgusts me to recall the sight of Calvin Pace and Quentin Coples trying to chase Tyrod Taylor to the edges, and it's time to take some risks on guys who can move, even if you're forfeiting some muscle. On offense, the jets need to find players that can play in space. As neat as it is to watch Decker and Marshall push off on DBs for scores, it'd be nice to have a single dude who can take a five-yard pass and advance it twenty yards by themselves. 

Sounds like the plan Idzik would have

@T0mShane agree with, and have advocated for a lot of, those same things.

Truth is we are not in a do-or-die season. Players that some fans have personal affinity for aside, we will have real uncertainty of decent play at QB (with or without Fitz), TE, WR#3, LT, RT, RG, OLBx2, ILBx1, and 1 CB starter. That is not an "all in" situation, worthy of robbing future seasons of draft pick(s) or cap flexibility.

Once one accepts - and I can understand many have not - that we are NOT winning a SB this year, one should ask what is the best path to get there after this year.

What would we need to help us get there in 2017/beyond? 

• Draft picks
  • Cap room for players with a future beyond 2016
  • Reps for younger players instead of overpaid veterans with a short term future here at best
  • Retaining players we absolutely need long term, and letting go of those we don't

What can we do this year to further those needs?

• Trade Mo. Gain a 2nd round pick, hopefully. Anything more than that is gravy. Also saves a whopping $16M in cap space. He's excellent, but we're not locking him up long term (or we'd have done it by now), and he isn't nearly worth all that for 1 more year of play. 
  • Cut Ferguson and save $10M in cap space. (unless there's some team insane enough to give up a 2018 7th round pick for him at his $, which we should be all over taking). Sign a veteran T as a cheaper stop-gap (we really should have signed Okung at $5M in year 1 - the same $ for this year that Breno is due to get - with nothing guaranteed). There are others, even if people snicker at the name as though Ferguson wasn't playing worse than all but a handful of tackles last year himself. 
  • Speaking of tackles worse than Ferguson, cut Breno and save $5M in cap space. Draft his replacement and start him as a rookie. (If it works out this way, the veteran to replace Ferguson could move over to RT if the rookie we draft is suited for the blind side). Breno gives us a little more flexibility than Ferguson: he costs less than half in new money, and we can cut him the day before final roster cutdowns without any negative cap implications. Not so with Brick, who has a bunch more new bonus money coming up, which is why he has to go first.
  • Agree with TS on starting one of the 3 young CBs we have opposite Revis. It's ridiculous to have signed Cromartie with a few of them on the roster. Like people used to say about Ryan and our DL investments, what's the sense of hiring a HC whose specialty is the defensive backfield if he needs 4 high priced veterans to go with a second year 1st round pick? If he needs all that, why do we need him? I think Bowles knows what he's doing and can make do just fine with "only" Revis, Skrine, Gilchrist, Pryor, and our other 3 young corners.
  • Do not bring back Fitzpatrick unless he unexpectedly agrees to the offer we have on the table. I'm fine with not bringing him back anyway because we need to see what someone else can do and my concern is Bowles will start Fitz no matter what. Another year will go by, and we will still know nothing about Petty or whoever we draft this year, and Fitz would have the inside track at starting yet again with Bowles at the helm (unless Maccagnan steps in and just cuts/trades him). I would like to have him in the mentor role, but he doesn't seem like he'd embrace it after feeling shafted $-wise following his 30 TD season. Reality is we should have won at least 12 games with that ridiculous gift of a schedule, but he wasn't the QB to get us to that level. Why anyone thinks we'd do the same or better with an infinitely-harder schedule is beyond me. I'd bring in another veteran QB, even if it meant holding my nose while offering the likes of Hoyer 1 year at $4-5M if Fitz still has his head in the clouds. Not because of my love of Hoyer, but more that Geno can't be the only experienced "veteran" QB on the roster.
  • I don't know enough about these college prospects (QB or otherwise) enough to weigh in on who is worth grabbing at our pick, who's worth moving up if he's still there a handful of picks ahead of us, or what. 

I wouldn't go so far as to tank the season, as much as some might think it looks this way. In the end, the only players I'm advocating moving on from right now are expensive ones with no realistic future on the team beyond 2016. That's Mo (who we can't re-sign and should get something for him while we can), and Ferguson+Breno who made up the worst pair of starting tackles in the NFL last year (and not much better the year before). I would be totally unsurprised to see Maccagnan moving on from at least 2 of those 3 by the end of the summer as it is. 

If the feeling is our season would be killed with the above type of recipe, I'd just say a slower death is still death. At least we'd have something to show for it in seeing what we've got and providing more future resources. Those things are more useful in the long run than finishing 8-8 instead of 6-10 (if it even came to that).

23 hours ago, Tinstar said:

It's never going to happen . This GM has told us time and time again that he has to hit on the picks in the 1st 3 rounds . You don't take chances in those rounds with that mindset .

By this philosophy, you'd draft OL in the first and second every year because they have the lowest bust rate. They probably won't throw back to back picks at players who are shaky off the field, but this is the year they need to take a few chances like that. It's gonna be Year Four of the Bowles regime pretty soon and he's going to have voids at two of the three most important positions in the sport: QB and edge rusher.

23 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Starting Petty is basically conceding the season, which is a tough sell for a vet-heavy team and a fanbase that still has PTSD about the time Daddy went out for cigarettes and ended up coaching the Bills. The rest of this is pretty much inarguable.

I think the vet angle is a little overplayed. The only significant veteran on the team is Revis, and I don't think that dude cares one iota about winning football games. If he did, he would have taken the Pats deal.

23 hours ago, bitonti said:

In this scenario you've traded Mo, didn't resign Fitz, cut the starting LT and have turned over all sorts of positions to rookies. And asked the draft to be all Al Davis. 

The problem with this 'tear it all down' plan is the fundamental idea that making the team lose games will help the franchise in the long run. The idea that the team needs to take a few steps backwards in W-L to ultimately take a step forward and win a championship.  It's great on paper. 

but 9 times out of 10 that's not how it works in the NFL. 

there's no Lebron James that will save the franchise. Losing franchises mostly stay losers. Winning franchises have experience winning. there's a reason why the Titans and the Jags pick top 5 every year. There is no such thing as rebuilding in the NFL, just reloading, every year. 

Like take Fitz for example, they won 10 games with him last year. Let's say they win 9 or 10 again this year. Even if Fitz can't win a SB, all those guys getting playoff experience helps them in the future. The alternative, starting Petty and Milliner and hoping for the best is Idzik-ism. Cap space never made a play. 

Losing franchises lose because they don't have a QB and winning franchises win because they do. The Jets need to stop fooling themselves into believing that they can pad the position with veteran trash and they need to prioritize finding a young QB to emerge. All else is folly.

23 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Except the Cardale stuff, which has to stop.

In the Cardale hypothetical--wherein we miss out on Goff, Wentz, Cook, and even Lynch (assuming we don't bet our first on whichever one of them drops)--I'm advocating for taking Cardale over Hackenberg and Kevin Hogan. All are gross, but Cardale is the only one among them to play well in huge games and show freak tools. I'll also admit to giving him a break because I thought Cam Newton was a similarly flawed prospect coming out, and I was clearly wrong.

23 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Fans are not going to like it, but the BPA when we pick in this draft even if it's a need pick could be a defensive player  .

Likely, even. I wouldn't blink if it was a corner.

22 hours ago, slats said:

I agree with the vast majority here. I'd be happy to get Fitz back for what the Jets are offering I won't be upset if he lands elsewhere. He's not a long term solution. At all. 

However, I wouldn't be handing jobs out at QB or CB, the best players would play. Even if that means Geno. 

Jets need to get much more athletic, but I want/expect Maccagnan to stick to a BAP philosophy - especially early. Hopefully that translates to greater team speed across the board. You know Bowles is certainly an advocate, at least on the defensive side. 

I think there's a line where playing the "best player" at the moment is detrimental to the team. The Jets would be better off today if Marcus Williams or Darrin Walls had all of Buster Skrine's snaps last year. They'd be better off today if Milliner or Walls took the bulk of Cromartie's snaps away down the stretch last year. I know we can say that Bowles saw them in practice, etc., but the fact is we're in a spot now where we're likely dumping all of those young guys except Williams and replacing them with another draft pick whom we hope is better. Bowles is a DB coach. He's got to make some cheap DBs happen.

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

@T0mShane agree with, and have advocated for a lot of, those same things.

Truth is we are not in a do-or-die season. Players that some fans have personal affinity for aside, we will have real uncertainty of decent play at QB (with or without Fitz), TE, WR#3, LT, RT, RG, OLBx2, ILBx1, and 1 CB starter. That is not an "all in" situation, worthy of robbing future seasons of draft pick(s) or cap flexibility.

Once one accepts - and I can understand many have not - that we are NOT winning a SB this year, one should ask what is the best path to get there after this year.

What would we need to help us get there in 2017/beyond? 

• Draft picks
  • Cap room for players with a future beyond 2016
  • Reps for younger players instead of overpaid veterans with a short term future here at best
  • Retaining players we absolutely need long term, and letting go of those we don't

What can we do this year to further those needs?

• Trade Mo. Gain a 2nd round pick, hopefully. Anything more than that is gravy. Also saves a whopping $16M in cap space. He's excellent, but we're not locking him up long term (or we'd have done it by now), and he isn't nearly worth all that for 1 more year of play. 
  • Cut Ferguson and save $10M in cap space. (unless there's some team insane enough to give up a 2018 7th round pick for him at his $, which we should be all over taking). Sign a veteran T as a cheaper stop-gap (we really should have signed Okung at $5M in year 1 - the same $ for this year that Breno is due to get - with nothing guaranteed). There are others, even if people snicker at the name as though Ferguson wasn't playing worse than all but a handful of tackles last year himself. 
  • Speaking of tackles worse than Ferguson, cut Breno and save $5M in cap space. Draft his replacement and start him as a rookie. (If it works out this way, the veteran to replace Ferguson could move over to RT if the rookie we draft is suited for the blind side). Breno gives us a little more flexibility than Ferguson: he costs less than half in new money, and we can cut him the day before final roster cutdowns without any negative cap implications. Not so with Brick, who has a bunch more new bonus money coming up, which is why he has to go first.
  • Agree with TS on starting one of the 3 young CBs we have opposite Revis. It's ridiculous to have signed Cromartie with a few of them on the roster. Like people used to say about Ryan and our DL investments, what's the sense of hiring a HC whose specialty is the defensive backfield if he needs 4 high priced veterans to go with a second year 1st round pick? If he needs all that, why do we need him? I think Bowles knows what he's doing and can make do just fine with "only" Revis, Skrine, Gilchrist, Pryor, and our other 3 young corners.
  • Do not bring back Fitzpatrick unless he unexpectedly agrees to the offer we have on the table. I'm fine with not bringing him back anyway because we need to see what someone else can do and my concern is Bowles will start Fitz no matter what. Another year will go by, and we will still know nothing about Petty or whoever we draft this year, and Fitz would have the inside track at starting yet again with Bowles at the helm (unless Maccagnan steps in and just cuts/trades him). I would like to have him in the mentor role, but he doesn't seem like he'd embrace it after feeling shafted $-wise following his 30 TD season. Reality is we should have won at least 12 games with that ridiculous gift of a schedule, but he wasn't the QB to get us to that level. Why anyone thinks we'd do the same or better with an infinitely-harder schedule is beyond me. I'd bring in another veteran QB, even if it meant holding my nose while offering the likes of Hoyer 1 year at $4-5M if Fitz still has his head in the clouds. Not because of my love of Hoyer, but more that Geno can't be the only experienced "veteran" QB on the roster.
  • I don't know enough about these college prospects (QB or otherwise) enough to weigh in on who is worth grabbing at our pick, who's worth moving up if he's still there a handful of picks ahead of us, or what. 

I wouldn't go so far as to tank the season, as much as some might think it looks this way. In the end, the only players I'm advocating moving on from right now are expensive ones with no realistic future on the team beyond 2016. That's Mo (who we can't re-sign and should get something for him while we can), and Ferguson+Breno who made up the worst pair of starting tackles in the NFL last year (and not much better the year before). I would be totally unsurprised to see Maccagnan moving on from at least 2 of those 3 by the end of the summer as it is. 

If the feeling is our season would be killed with the above type of recipe, I'd just say a slower death is still death. At least we'd have something to show for it in seeing what we've got and providing more future resources. Those things are more useful in the long run than finishing 8-8 instead of 6-10 (if it even came to that).

All of this.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

In the Cardale hypothetical--wherein we miss out on Goff, Wentz, Cook, and even Lynch (assuming we don't bet our first on whichever one of them drops)--I'm advocating for taking Cardale over Hackenberg and Kevin Hogan. All are gross, but Cardale is the only one among them to play well in huge games and show freak tools. I'll also admit to giving him a break because I thought Cam Newton was a similarly flawed prospect coming out, and I was clearly wrong.

Cardale reminds me of Geno in the sense that they have the arm strength/ability to make every throw, but they're both just late on throws and reads. If both of them can just speed up their decisions and get the ball out quicker, they'd have way more success. Cardale has little game experience, which probably contributes to some of this. 

Cardale is obviously more of an athletic freak than Geno, which is why I'm not against the pick in the mid-late rounds, aka 4th or 5th - especially if we miss out on those 4 mentioned above. I also think if Cardale can hold onto the football and not run backwards to avoid a sack he's likely close to or at Geno's current ability. JMO.

So the new big plan is to go into next year with Qvale and some 3rd round pick (or the unicorn like solid cheap fa LT) as our starting tackles?  Sign me up!  Not even Gailey could stop our QB's from being tombstoned by about week 3.

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So the new big plan is to go into next year with Qvale and some 3rd round pick (or the unicorn like solid cheap fa LT) as our starting tackles?  Sign me up!  Not even Gailey could stop our QB's from being tombstoned by about week 3.

They have to dump Mo or cut Brick at this point. They're dead out of cap space and still want to sign Fitz. Breno is awful, so Qvale shouldn't be a huge dropoff, and I'd imagine they'll get Brnick re-signed anyway. There are better OLT's available in Joe Thomas and Ryan Clady who can't get a sniff of interest. Hard to believe there's a team out there ready to overpay for Brick.

32 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

Cardale reminds me of Geno in the sense that they have the arm strength/ability to make every throw, but they're both just late on throws and reads. If both of them can just speed up their decisions and get the ball out quicker, they'd have way more success. Cardale has little game experience, which probably contributes to some of this. 

Cardale is obviously more of an athletic freak than Geno, which is why I'm not against the pick in the mid-late rounds, aka 4th or 5th - especially if we miss out on those 4 mentioned above. I also think if Cardale can hold onto the football and not run backwards to avoid a sack he's likely close to or at Geno's current ability. JMO.

I think Geno is a low-confidence mope that engenders disdain from teammates, and he might also be a dope besides. Jones' issue is that he's an entitled low-effort egotist that needs his ass kicked.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think Geno is a low-confidence mope that engenders disdain from teammates, and he might also be a dope besides. Jones' issue is that he's an entitled low-effort egotist that needs his ass kicked.

And as for off the field stuff, these are points I can get behind.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They have to dump Mo or cut Brick at this point. They're dead out of cap space and still want to sign Fitz. Breno is awful, so Qvale shouldn't be a huge dropoff, and I'd imagine they'll get Brnick re-signed anyway. There are better OLT's available in Joe Thomas and Ryan Clady who can't get a sniff of interest. Hard to believe there's a team out there ready to overpay for Brick.

You have to trade for both Clady and Thomas and both of them are going to cost you similar to Brick in the long run.  RT is much more easily replaced I agree.  If D'Brick has to go so be it, but people better be prepared for some serious pain re LT to find a replacement. 

Archived