Jets tried to trade up for Tunsil, FYI

Integrity28

32 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/06/jets-tried-to-make-trade-with-giants-couldnt-get-it-done/

The Giants were happy to steal the Jets’ Snacks this offseason, but they didn’t want to go back for seconds.

The Jets admitted they were trying to trade upin last week’s draft to get to Ole Miss tackleLaremy Tunsil, but according to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News, they failed to get a deal done with their co-tenants in MetLife Stadium.

The Jets offered the Giants their second-round pick to move up from 20th overall to the 10th spot.

The Giants hesitated, having already lost out on targets Jack Conklin and Leonard Floyd the two spots ahead of them. And they were afraid if they went back too far, they’d have missed on cornerback Eli Apple, who they took at No. 10.

If Tunsil had been off the board, the Dolphins might have gone with Apple at 13 given their need at cornerback. That would have left the Giants to pick from the next tier or corners, as the next one taken was Houston’s William Jackson, who went 24th to the Bengals.

There has been some cross-pollenation between the two franchises. This offseason, the Giants signed defensive tackle Damon “Snacks” Harrison in free agency. Others have worked for both franchises, from Don Maynard to Bill Parcells, but the two have never traded with each other.

There has also been the normal intramural squabbling between the two, going back to the design of their shared stadium, so perhaps it’s not a surprise they could get a deal done.

But Sperm told me that the Jets offered Wilkerson to move up and nobody wanted him! You're telling me that Mac wasn't even trying to kill two birds with one stone and unburden us from that sadistic, greedy POS?? This franchise is ****ed!

I hate that the Dolphins got Tunsil because I think he's going to be the Next Great LT and they'll just waste him. Los Yets should Willie Roaf the sh*t out of him come FA.

On 5/1/2016 at 2:34 PM, Larz said:

going back to high school he is just a distraction/ scandal aiting to happen.  recruiting stuff, money stuff, drugs.  He made ole miss give his brother a full scholarship for instance

and now after getting his money I can completly see this guy getting fat and lazy, he is bust city to me

Iron Head did that at Pitt IIRC

1 hour ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Been hearing it was the Giants.  Macc offered up 20th and 51st overall to take 10th overall.  Giants declined and took Eli Apple.  So silly, they probably would have gotten him at 20!

Yeah, just heard that too. Think Gary Meyers wrote that. Say what you want about him, but Gary does get some good stuff.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Or sign him to a long term contact when the Jets had the coin to do so.

Or that, but when you're drafting defense in the first round every year (which includes lineman) and you hit with undrafted guys like Snacks you really dont have to sign him to long coin. 

We could have traded him last year for a future 1st round pick. Granted, when I said this last year it wasnt very popular understandably, however its looking like it would have been a great choice today. 

Now we have a great talent that we probably feel that we're "stuck" with because he's going to be as uncooperative as possible, rightfully so. He'll probably holdout during the offseason workouts and maybe even training camp. 

Trading this guy last year, especially if we had no real intention on extending him was the right choice. 

18 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Or sign him to a long term contact when the Jets had the coin to do so.

The Jets have the coin now to sign him to a long term deal.  His $15.7M cap hit this season would likely be reduced if he signed a long term deal. I would love to see it get done.

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Jets have the coin now to sign him to a long term deal.  His $15.7M cap hit this season would likely be reduced if he signed a long term deal. I would love to see it get done.

Nuh uh, his demands are like the biggest in the history of the world times ten plus infinity. He thinks he's JJ Watt and Reggie White rolled into one lolz.

On 5/1/2016 at 7:08 PM, Mainejet said:

And WHY is it so wrong on so many points?? Because you say so? KMA

Here you go:

Well, he should've landed the trade. Tunsil would have been a great addition to this OL.     correct.  Good for you.  At least something you posted was not wrong for once.

Instead, they took a useless shrimp that will NOT help this defense at all.       "useless shrimp" incorrect.  Many others have been that size with success as has been pointed out to you repeatedly.  Yes, in a 3-4 as well.  "will not help the defense AT ALL"  "At all"?  a bit extreme, huh?  Generally, when people argue with such extremes, they do so because their argument has little to no merit and they hope the "extremeness" of the post will overshadow the lack of logic.  

So by standing pat, he essentially f*cked up royally.      Wrong again.  In fact, it doesn't even make sense.

He also did not select a TE, and TE was a huge NEED.  You can't fill every need in one draft.  You know that.  He filled needs at QB, LB, and sprinkled in CB, OT. And... drafting for need all the time is what made the Jets terrible all these decades. When you draft for need, you reach.  Bad philosophy.  It just so happens that the highest player on the board was also a position of need. Thus, Lee is a great choice. 

As Westhoff has said so eloquently, a TE is what allows you to beat cover 2.  I'm not writing off Amaro or even Sudfeld quite yet. But yes, we could use a better TE.  As you know, it's impossible to fill every need in one draft especially when your drafting philosophy leans more toward BPA than reaching for need.  p.s.  which TE would you have taken and where in the draft would you have taken him?  I liked Hooper but he was gone too soon.  Other than Hooper (who would have had to be drafted in round 2 for the jets to get him) and Henry (who would have had to be drafted in round 1 for the Jets to get him), which TE would you have picked and where?  Vannett in the 4th?  How do you know he'll be any better than Amaro?  I liked Jerrell Adams, but we had no 6th round pick and he was gone before the 7th.  So explain how you would have resolved the Jets TE need in this draft please, because short of overspending for the few TEs that were decent, it wasn't a strong crop of TEs to choose from.

Yeah, this draft has serious questions all around and those questions have as much to do with what they did do as it does with what they didn't do. I can't give this draft any better than a C- at best. He selected players that are clearly not fit for this defense,   "Clearly" LOL.  Clearly maybe to you and your myopic eyesight and opinions. Other than Lee, who you ridiculously bash, what other defenders did he draft that "clearly" (LOL) don't fit the defense?  Your post is incredibly stupid.  Sorry.

Archived