Dee Milliner ~ ~ ~

kelly

^

The article suggests while not saying that Milliner has tonight's game to show he should stay or not.  I doubt it's that dire, but yeah, he's on the hot seat.  Hopefully he shows up and gets it done.

And yeah ftr I am also going to be looking at M Williams, who did not impress much, either, even if he did not look quite as bad as Dee.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't want to start a separate Burris thread so I'll just stick this article here.  A good read: http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/what_jets_rookie_cornerback_juston_burris_is_doing.html#incart_river_index

FLORHAM PARK — From a coverage standpoint, Juston Burris is having a pretty stellar first training camp with the Jets

It hasn't been perfect. But for a player select in the fourth round of this year's draft, Burris has shown promise. 

Heck, he could be leading the Jets in practice interceptions ... if he held onto the ball. 

Every couple of practices, Burris' skills will put him in the position to make a play. He will perfectly read a route, then break on the ball. He will drive a receiver towards the sideline, then get his head around in time to locate the pass. "It comes down to concentration," Burris told NJ Advance Media on Wednesday. "The quarterbacks up here? They throw the ball a lot faster." 

On more than one occasion, though, the 6-1, 212-pound Burris has failed to finish the play with an interception. On Tuesday, he had a chance to intercept quarterback Bryce Petty in the red zone, but dropped the ball despite having textbook coverage on receiver Charone Peake. 

The fact Burris, who picked off three passes in three years at N.C. State, is in a position to make all of these plays is a huge plus. He is in perfect coverage. He just needs to finish. 

"We want turnovers," Burris said. "Pass deflections aren't good enough. Maybe they were in college, but not anymore. You aren't getting paid for 'PDs.' You get paid to get turnovers. That's the biggest thing. I wanna turn those 'PDs' into turnovers and help the defense get off the field." 

Burris said a few of his drops in camp have come down to two things: concentration and adjusting to the NFL. In college, he got used to the ball coming in at a certain speed. In the pros, things are happening much faster. 

"Just like anything else, you need to work to get better," Burris said. "I'm glad that I'm in position. That's good. But I had to work to get in that position. Now that I'm in that position, I have to work to catch the ball. It is all about progression. I need to keep on going forward." To help shorten the acclimation period, Burris said he spends additional time working with a Juggs Machine. Before or after practice, he'll head over with an assistant coach and catch 35 to 40 balls. He expects to increase that number in the coming weeks. 

Barring injuries, Burris likely won't see much time on defense this year. As a rookie, he's stuck behind the likes of Darrelle Revis, Buster Skrine, Marcus Williams and Dee Milliner on the depth chart. Odds are, Burris will spend his Sundays playing special teams. 

And that's fine with him. Backing up so many veterans isn't all bad. 

"I sit right in front of Darrelle in meetings," Burris said. "Whenever I do something wrong or right, he has little critiques. Even if I do something good, he points out ways to get better. That's what he's there for. That's what the entire group is there for. We have a ton of really good guys in that room. 

"Everyone has their insights and ways they do things. I'm trying to pick and choose the way I want to do it. Build myself from the best of everyone else."

Barring the Jets falling in love with a bottom of the roster CB, he is at a very low risk of being cut.  His salary is fully guaranteed, so there's no benefit to the Jets unless they think he is outright inferior to everyone else at the position.  Even if he's not as good as we all hoped, he's certainly not a bad thing to have as your #4 CB.  He's obviously getting paid too much for that role, but there's nothing they can do about that now.  There would be no reason to hold onto a different inferior player that would ultimately cost the team more, just out of spite.

When the Jets opted not to pick up their option on cornerback Dee Milliner’s contract for the 2017 season, it didn’t come as a surprise.

While there were high hopes for what Milliner would do when the Jets drafted him with the ninth overall pick of the 2013 draft, Milliner’s career has been highlighted by injuries rather than big plays on the field. He’s played in just 21 games over three seasons and didn’t play a down on defense last season after returning from a wrist injury in the second half of the year.

Milliner doesn’t turn 25 until September and is still trying to find a way to turn his career trajectory around. As part of that, he’s found a way to put a positive spin on his injury woes.“It made me mentally tougher,” Milliner told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “You got to fight and get over it because it’s going to happen. It’s about how you’re going to come back from it. … I’m always going to have confidence in myself and what I can do. You got to have that going into the game. You got to go in there and say I can guard him. Do my technique and do what I’m supposed to do, and I can control the play.”

Milliner didn’t do a great job of controlling play in the preseason opener as he gave up a long reception to Jaguars wideout Allen Robinson on one play and missed a tackle that led to another big gain for Jacksonville. Should he have better showings for the rest of the summer, a role behind Darrelle Revis and Buster Skrine could come his way but time’s running short for Milliner’s redemption song to start playing in Jersey.

>      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/18/dee-milliner-injuries-have-made-me-tougher-mentally/

– When Dee Milliner left the Jets’ second preseason game against Washington with a sore bicep, the immediate reaction was not simply understandable, but appropriate. With a litany of injuries on his docket, Milliner’s latest woes left a long trail of ‘here we go again’ in their wake. Only there Milliner was on the Jets’ practice field Monday, not just at full speed, but at full effectiveness, his two interceptions providing statistical evidence he was having one of his best practices of training camp.

“I guess it was just being in the right spot and breaking on the ball,” Milliner would say later. “What I did was right. Camp is going great. My bicep was a contusion. I took a direct hit on my bicep and it kind of stunned me, I couldn’t lock out my arm or anything. I tried to come back but I didn’t want to risk it. I wanted to go back in the game. But it’s OK; I’m back now. I’m fine. I’m back, full go.” Maybe Milliner didn’t realize how much he was repeating himself, but his desire to reassure those around him is, again, understandable. And appropriate. The ninth overall pick in the 2013 draft, Milliner has never lived up to that lofty status, never quite rounded into the Darrelle Revis heir many thought he would be.

A solid rookie year was followed by the slide into injury hell, from a lingering ankle sprain early in 2014 to the torn Achilles tendon that ended his season after Week 6. By the time he returned last season, his role had been significantly reduced, enough that the Jets declined to pick up the option on the fifth year of his rookie contract. Now, with Revis back and Buster Skrine elevated to solid starter status, with the likes of Dexter McDougle and Marcus Williams closing fast, Milliner has to fight hard just for the chance to prove he can be at that level again. “I think Dee has had a solid camp,” defensive backs coach Joe Danna said Monday. “The biggest thing for him which we’ve always said is he’s been able to stay healthy, which is nice. He’s gotten a lot of reps. We’ve gotten a good look at him and we’re happy to see what he can do these last couple of weeks. “I think he’s capable of playing in this league and I think he’s got the ability. He’s very smart, he’s got good instincts, he’s shown he can play on either side and has even played inside a little bit. He’s a versatile guy.

I think still the sky’s the limit with Dee and we’ll find out what he can do these last few weeks.” In other words, we think you still have it, but you still have to prove it. For an athlete, that can be a delicate line to hold, from pressing too much to prove what you can do to simmering over the fact that you have to. “It isn’t something you want to talk about, especially as a player,” Milliner said. “When you get … injured, you can’t play. It happens, it’s about how are you going to come back from it, how you going to bounce back from it. I just keep going, try to stay healthy. “I know it’s going to be talked about. I’m not the kind of person to get down on myself, so I just look at it as keep going. My teammates always help me out, they joke around, they keep me confident. As I said, they know I can do it, I just have to go out there and play and be consistent with it.” As the Jets were closing in on the end of practice Monday, rookie Christian Hackenberg was running the two-minute offense.

His final throw landed in Milliner’s hands. But even if that was the end of a bad day for the quarterback, Hackenberg is a rookie second-round draft pick. His roster spot is secure. For Milliner, it was the end of a very good day, the kind of day that can go a long way in securing his spot on the team. “It feels good, just to make plays on the ball like that,” he said. “Getting a turnover for the defense can change games, and we talk about that all the time on defense, so it was good that I could get one.” It doesn’t go unnoticed. “I think this has been a good camp for him, and that’s one of the things I’m talking about as far as consistency,” assistant DB coach Daylon McCutcheon said. “He’s made a lot of plays in practice and that’s been good to see him go out there and compete, one of the things that I kind of went into looking for.

He’s definitely done that. It’s just a trust factor. Can you do it on a consistent basis? That comes into how much can you use this player.”

>        http://www.northjersey.com/sports/sullivan-if-jets-dee-milliner-still-has-it-he-has-to-prove-it-1.1649191

Dee Milliner, the Jets' oft-injured cornerback and former No. 9 overall draft pick, wasn't healthy enough to play again Thursday. 

Milliner, who played in the first three preseason games, is dealing with a sore hamstring that sidelined him for the preseason finale at the Eagles.Milliner has been mostly underwhelming since the Jets drafted him in 2013. So is there any way they cut him this weekend, as he enters the final year of his rookie contract? (Remember, the Jets didn't exercise his fifth-year option for 2017.)For all of Milliner's flaws — and it looks like rookie Juston Burris could pass him on the depth chart (or already has) — it appears unlikely the Jets will cut him.That's because his four-year rookie contract is fully guaranteed. So his salary cap figure if he's on the team this season ($4.028 million) is the same amount in dead money the Jets would have to absorb, against their cap, if they cut him. 

Bottom line: The Jets wouldn't save any cap space by cutting Milliner.Plus, you can never have enough corners, particularly with the way coach Todd Bowles deploys them.By this season's end, Milliner will have collected every penny of his $12.661 million rookie contract. Largely because of injuries, he hasn't been worth the price so far. Through three seasons, he has played in just 21 of 48 possible games.Another young cornerback,Dexter McDougle,has also been a disappointment (largely because of injuries) since the Jets drafted him. McDougle, a Round 3 pick in 2014, missed his entire rookie season with a torn ACL. He played in 14 games last season as a backup. He struggled with a hamstring injury for most of this August that limited his participation. He didn't play Thursday because of the injury. 

But McDougle's contract structure makes it easier for the Jets to cut him this weekend, and it seems entirely possible they'll do that. McDougle's cap hit if he's on the team is $764,000. But the Jets would create $615,000 in cap space by cutting him. So he's probably gone, while Milliner probably stays. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/is_there_any_way_the_jets_cut_oft-injured_cb_dee_m.html#incart_river_index

Welcome to 53-man roster cuts deadline day

Let's start it with a Jets mailbag, shall we ?

And away we go, with your questions and our answers : 

~ ~ Ira in Staten Island, via email : I think Juston Burris has moved ahead of Dee Milliner on the depth chart and is the No. 4 cornerback. While Milliner does offer some depth, I think they would trade him, if they could. But his contract could be an issue. Thoughts?

Yes, based on the Week 3 preseason game against the Giants, Burris might have moved ahead of Milliner on the depth chart, in terms of the battle to play in the dime package. Burris got some first-team nickel package work against the Giants. The rookie fourth-round draft pick has done some good things in this preseason.

Plus, Milliner is hurt (again) and is now dealing with a sore hamstring. I don't see anyone taking him in a trade, because of his injury history, his lack of production, and the fact that he is entering the final year of his rookie contract. But the Jets likely also won't cut Milliner, because his salary cap figure if he's on the team is the same as his dead money figure — $4.028 million. The Jets must simply hope he can remain healthy — and do somethingproductive — to justify his cap hit in 2016. It is difficult to envision him being back with the Jets in 2017. 

rest of above article : 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/jets_mailbag_bryce_petty_geno_smith.html#incart_river_index

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Jets coach Todd Bowles explained the decision to cut CB Dee Milliner, the ninth pick in 2013: "The other guys were healthier. When he got a chance to play, he gave up some plays. He was banged up quite a bit. We had to go with healthy guys who can play football."

icon-espn-e-@2x.png
18h

>       http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Cornerback Dee Milliner and linebacker Trevor Reilly are back with the Jets

Sort of. 

After being waived/injured on Saturday during the Jets' 53-man roster trim, both cleared waivers and have been placed on the injured reserve. Of those the Jets cut, just Jace Amaro was claimed by another team

This year, the NFL changed its rules regarding the injured reserve. Now, after a six-week stay, any one player on a team's IR can be activated. In the past, a player needed to be pre-designated. This rule, however, does not apply to Milliner and Reilly. Only players placed on the IR after 4 p.m. Sunday can be activated during the season. Because the Jets waived/injured Milliner and Reilly during the 53-man cut on Saturday, they are not eligible to return to the field.

They will remain on the IR throughout the 2016 season unless they reach an injury settlement with the Jets. If that were to happen, they would be released from the IR and become a free agent. For Milliner, landing on the IR doesn't change much. The Jets will still need to pay him $4.028 million this season. Because he is in the final year of his rookie contract, he will still be a free agent after this season. 

Unless he reaches an injury settlement and is released, Reilly will return to the Jets in 2017. He still has one year left on his contract, which is not voided because he went unclaimed. Had the Jets waived Reilly with no injury designation, then he went unclaimed, he would not be with the team next season. 

For a complete list of all the Jets roster claims and practice squad additions, check out our LIVE tracker here. 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/dee_milliner_trevor_reilly_clear_waivers_revert_to.html#incart_river_index

Archived