Ravens cut LT Eugene Monroe

32EBoozer

Really wish we had some money to play with! Throw him at RT.... gotta be better than Breno

The Ravens released veteran offensive tackleEugene Monroe Wednesday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported.

A split seemed inevitable as the Ravens held Monroe out of this week’s mandatory minicamp while they sought a potential trade partner. Monroe, 29, had been the team’s left tackle when healthy since being acquired in a 2013 trade, but he missed 15 games due to injury over the last two seasons and the Ravens drafted offensive tackleRonnie Stanley in the first round in April.

If a team had traded for Monroe it would have to take on his $6.5 million salary for 2016, and given his injury history it makes sense that the Ravens couldn’t find a trade partner. It seems both the Ravens and Monroe were ready to move on, too, which is why the team didn’t wait.

Schefter reported that the Giants, Seahawks and Chargers could have interest in Monroe now that he’s a free agent.

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Hindsight.... 20/20

Monroe was on the trading block as soon as Baltimore drafted Staley at #6.

This is part of the potential downside in shoring up all positions with veterans prior to the draft. Plus Clady is effectively on a 1-year deal. If he stays healthy and goes to the pro bowl, like he did in 2014, his 2nd year option is almost Revis money on the cap. Upside to that is we'd get a 4th round (possibly even a 3rd round) compensatory pick if he's not re-signed because he's way too expensive.

Next year, as things stand now on his current deal, if Clady hits all his incentives then I think his 2017 cap # balloons to $14.5M.

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is part of the potential downside in shoring up all positions with veterans prior to the draft. Plus Clady is effectively on a 1-year deal. If he stays healthy and goes to the pro bowl, like he did in 2014, his 2nd year option is almost Revis money on the cap. Upside to that is we'd get a 4th round (possibly even a 3rd round) compensatory pick if he's not re-signed because he's way too expensive.

Next year, as things stand now on his current deal, if Clady hits all his incentives then I think his 2017 cap # balloons to $14.5M.

Well, that's not a bad deal if he plays well.

Trade a 5th, get a good year out of him, get back a 4th.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Well, that's not a bad deal if he plays well.

Trade a 5th, get a good year out of him, get back a 4th.

Yes and no; it's a lateral move in terms of trade value.

Reason I'm ok with it is different than getting back a draft pick or not force-feeding LT with our round 1 pick or whatever. Clady is not in his mid-20s anymore. Like anyone, all other things being equal I'd rather have good younger talent than good older talent. Duh. One of the complaints - and it's not without some degree of validity - is that we spent too much on older veterans. Me? I'm ok with it if it's on offense while we're looking for and/or breaking in a young QB. It is all-important to me (and many others). In LOTR-speak, it is precious to me. 

The last thing I want - that anyone should want - is yet another one who shows flashes in between facepalm failure, but has the built-in excuse of a poor supporting cast. This, of course, requires new investment and yet another season or more on a young guy only to find out he didn't have it after all; that he can have had a hard time because of a poor offense around him and still would have been poor (even if not as poor) with a good supporting cast. In summary, I'm ok with it because it seeks to remove an unknown variable in assessing the all-important QB position.

As far as Clady or Monroe? Meh. One can truly only assess which is better after the season. If we liked Monroe that much more, and felt he's a better long-term solution, we could have traded a conditional 7th for him and Baltimore would have snatched it up in a heartbeat. Then cut Clady. I don't think it's obvious Monroe is an upgrade, if he's an upgrade (or even a lateral move) at all. In hindsight we'll know, but that's hardly fair to the GM. At the time what he was trying to do was upgrade from Ferguson and save cap room in the process. He did that. I haven't liked all his moves (far from it) but I can't possibly fault him for not having a crystal ball and thereby know who Baltimore was going to select at #6, and what then seems (again, in hindsight) the obvious sequence of events thereafter.

It does further show for those crying about the mere idea of moving on from Ferguson, prior to April of this year, there are always other options even if the fans don't see them at the time. Just like Marshall was seen by absolutely nobody as an option (let alone for a mere 5th round pick) until this surprise trade was announced. 

I'd rather find $$$ for Monroe than sign that QB who thinks he's better than he is.  Cut Giacomini,

restructure a few deals and put Monroe at RT.  Solidify the OLine and make Smith more comfortable

in the pocket

14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Did the Pats ever get a comp pick for Revis? He was technically released. 

11 hours ago, KRL said:

I'd rather find $$$ for Monroe than sign that QB who thinks he's better than he is.  Cut Giacomini,

restructure a few deals and put Monroe at RT.  Solidify the OLine and make Smith more comfortable

in the pocket

I'd have to agree with this sentiment. Geno's on a 1 yr. deal, playing for his future.

Fitz coming off his best yr. against a soft schedule, trying to land a LT deal which will only get us tied up $ wise with a QB who will not be a Franchise QB.\

Let's use that Fitz money(which we don't even have right now) to lock up Wilkerson on a deal, or as KRL said, lock up an OL to help see what Geno can do with

a competent level of professional athletes on the offensive side of the ball.

11 hours ago, KRL said:

in the pocket

You could have hall of famers at every position and Geno still wouldn't be comfortable in the pocket. That's just not his strong suit. If he even has one. 

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

The Pats rejected their option for Revis technically making him a free agent.  They got a 3rd round pick for him.  Was a brilliant end run using a technicality to supercede the intention of the rule.  

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

Yes they did. He was released and he wasn't. It's a strange loophole. Technically he was not released, even though in reality he was. Technically what happened is his option was not exercised. What's strange about it is doing this still allows the team to amortize the signing bonus over more than 1 season, even though in the strictest sense it was only a 1 year contract. 

We're doing that now ourselves with multiple players. Ryan Clady is one. He is on a 1 year contract with a team option for 2017. Nominally we call it a 2-year contract, though, and his signing bonus gets amortized over 2 years not 1. If we don't exercise Clady's option because he's too expensive, and he then signs elsewhere, we would be entitled to a compensatory pick for him as well (provided we don't offset that with other new UFA acquisitions). Offhand I think Jenkins may also be on a 1 & 1 deal that's on paper a 1 yr followed by a team option for a 2nd yr but it's easy to check.

Archived