Right tackles

NYs Stepchild

Just want to put out what I've seen from our new RTs, and why I think it's been so difficult for our coaches to pick one.

Ijalana looks very comfortable but gets beat too often. He is the better athlete but does not have the same strength as Qvale. More of a finesse type. 

Qvale looks as if he is working on new footwork. He has widened his stance, and really doesn't look like he's completely comfortable with it yet. The thing is that I don't think I've seen him get beaten cleanly all preseason. He gets the job done though he may not look as good doing it. His upside is higher, and he's a more natural fit at RT. I think he will improve and become a good starter for us eventually.

Breno has been declining the last two years, and now has back problems. If he can't heal during the offseason I don't see why they think he will heal now, then perform through the season. He wan't noticeably better than either of these two guys when he was healthy. I'm not sure why they haven't cut bait yet.

22 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Just want to put out what I've seen from our new RTs, and why I think it's been so difficult for our coaches to pick one.

Ijalana looks very comfortable but gets beat too often. He is the better athlete but does not have the same strength as Qvale. More of a finesse type. 

Qvale looks as if he is working on new footwork. He has widened his stance, and really doesn't look like he's completely comfortable with it yet. The thing is that I don't think I've seen him get beaten cleanly all preseason. He gets the job done though he may not look as good doing it. His upside is higher, and he's a more natural fit at RT. I think he will improve and become a good starter for us eventually.

Breno has been declining the last two years, and now has back problems. If he can't heal during the offseason I don't see why they think he will heal now, then perform through the season. He wan't noticeably better than either of these two guys when he was healthy. I'm not sure why they haven't cut bait yet.

Good post. Now it's obvious why Macc tried so hard to move up to get Tunsil on draft night. Price was probably our 2016 and 17 #1, I'm guessing.

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

IMO ijalana is the better run blocker, but Qvale seems more adept at pass blocking. We need a hybrid of the two, 

14 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

IMO ijalana is the better run blocker, but Qvale seems more adept at pass blocking. We need a hybrid of the two, 

On the move I agree. Qvale has a habit of missing 2nd level blocks, but I think that's still because he's concentrating on his technique. Once he gets more comfortable I'm hoping he will improve his awareness. 

I agree totally that a combination of the two would be ideal, which is what is keeping the coaches from choosing one. They very well may rotate the two throughout the season depending on the circumstances.  

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I've been saying that for the last 2 days.

Giacomini isn't that good when he's healthy and he constantly gets flagged for holding guys when he gets beat.

Now, he has what is obviously a nagging back problem that has kept him out of alot of training camp and all of the pre-season.

320 lb guys on the wrong side of 30 (Giacomini will turn 31 later this month) with back problems typically are not fast healers, meaning this injury will no doubt be plaguing him all season, so, he will be at less than 100%. Personally I think the chances of him re-injuring his back when he comes back to play are pretty high.

Couple all of that with the 5 million we would have saved on the CAP by cutting him and that would have been one of the first moves I made yesterday.

Obviously the coaches and the front office have a different point of view.

9 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I've been saying that for the last 2 days.

Giacomini isn't that good when he's healthy and he constantly gets flagged for holding guys when he gets beat.

Now, he has what is obviously a nagging back problem that has kept him out of alot of training camp and all of the pre-season.

320 lb guys on the wrong side of 30 (Giacomini will turn 31 later this month) with back problems typically are not fast healers, meaning this injury will no doubt be plaguing him all season, so, he will be at less than 100%. Personally I think the chances of him re-injuring his back when he comes back to play are pretty high.

Couple all of that with the 5 million we would have saved on the CAP by cutting him and that would have been one of the first moves I made yesterday.

Obviously the coaches and the front office must have a different point of view.

Agree. Just said in another topic he's not worth $5M if he was healthy for all 16 games. How is he worth $5M and he gets to miss the beginning brutal start to the season, plus it's far from given he'll be healthy even after he comes off PUP (and he's no prize at 100% anyway). We should have just taken the savings. We're not winning the SB this year either way.

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

could either play LT in a pinch ?   cuz he depth there is frightening

If I remember correctly, there was a point in time not that long ago when Ijalana was backing up Brick.

EDIT: I just checked the depth chart on nyjets.com which doesn't reflect the most recent cuts yet and they have Brandon Shell backing up Clady at LT - that's scary because Shell has looked absolutely awful this pre-season.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/depth-chart.html

32 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

since the Eagles are blowing away their season, I wonder how much it would take to acquire their starting LT and move him to RT .Talking about Jason Peters of course .

The Eagles are not putting their rookie future QB behind a makeshift O line

Archived