Jets Lose to Bengals; Post Game Thoughts

JetNation

Revis Full

Incredibly frustrating game to lose because the Jets dominated a good CIN team in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  Fantastic atmosphere generated by the crowd.

Special Teams

– The worst game ever for Nick Folk since he’s been here.  Missing a 22 yard FG and a PAT is inexcusable.

– Lachlan Edwards was terrific and the coverage units were air tight particuarly against a big time returner like Adam Jones.

– Jalin Marshall was solid in his punt returns and had a spectacular kick return that set up a TD.

Offense

– Awful production in the red zone, you can’t go 2 for 5 and expect to win.  Especially when Folk leaves 4 easy points on the field.

– OLine was excellent across the board in both run blocking and pass protection.  They really took Geno Atkins out of the game.

– CIN did a good job taking away Brandon Marshall & Eric Decker.  But you have to be encouraged by the production of our secondary options.  Quincy Enunwa, Matt Forte and Bilal Powell were excellent and basically carried the offense.

– Speaking of Forte you saw today exactly what he brings to an offense.  Smooth running and hands out of the backfield like a WR.

– Tremendous improvement across the board in Enunwa’s game.  Many of the catches he made today he wouldn’t have last year.

– Sub-par games across the board for Ryan Fitzpatrick, Marshall and Decker.  Too many missed connections and Marshall’s drop on the final drive of the game was a crusher.

Defense

– Unbelievable game by the DLine, shades of the “Sack Exchange” with SEVEN sacks.  Particularly beastly were Leonard Williams and Steve McLendon who both had “Canton” games.

– Awful job by the secondary today, other than the INT by Marcus Williams they contributed to the loss as much as Folk.  When your DLine generates seven sacks you can’t bust coverages and give up big plays. AJ Green is a premier WR but you can’t get beat by Lafell and Uzomah, that’s inexcusable.  Particularly bad were Marcus Gilchrist and Williams.

– The defensive staff needed to adjust to CIN “dink & dunk” WR screen game sooner than they did.  Also that gimmick “spread OLine” CIN used was so annoying.

For more information on the game be sure to check out the post game stats.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
7fwAFq3X4EY

Click here to read the full story...

Incredible nothing was done to at least slow down Green it was like a nightmare. Marcus Williams had an int but the rest of his play was pretty poor as was the tackling by the entire secondary.

Terribly called game on both sides of the ball.

We actually figured out how to lose a game we should have easily dominated. We simply lost this game giving up way too many big plays and Nick Folk

Cromartie is a liability in man to man against starting calibre wrs at this point in his career.  He certainly was last year.

I think a trade is justified here, you want a number 2 db who can play some press coverage, say for a 3rd or 4th rounder.  I'm pretty sure we get to the playoffs if we have an upgrade at cb, but will likely miss it if we continue to have coverage problems.  Our schedule is pretty stacked with high powered passing attacks.

1 hour ago, Hael said:

Cromartie is a liability in man to man against starting calibre wrs at this point in his career.  He certainly was last year.

I think a trade is justified here, you want a number 2 db who can play some press coverage, say for a 3rd or 4th rounder.  I'm pretty sure we get to the playoffs if we have an upgrade at cb, but will likely miss it if we continue to have coverage problems.  Our schedule is pretty stacked with high powered passing attacks.

A bit late for this. Ain't no one gonna trade us a quality corner right now.

History just repeats itself with this team over and over and over...again.  This is the kind of game which haunts you all year, it feels like we can already forget about the division and are already behind the wild card hunt (i know, I know, "playoffs! you're talking about playoffs!".  Not since 1998 has this team simply won the games it was suppossed to, taken any godamn initiative with their record. 

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

History just repeats itself with this team over and over and over...again.  This is the kind of game which haunts you all year, it feels like we can already forget about the division and are already behind the wild card hunt (i know, I know, "playoffs! you're talking about playoffs!".  Not since 1998 has this team simply won the games it was suppossed to, taken any godamn initiative with their record. 

It was a tough loss for sure but that 1998 team you remember so fondly started off with a gut-punch loss on the Garrison Hearst 96 yard TD run in overtime, very similar loss iirc....got beat up by the Ravens the following week too and were 0-2. It's not how you start the season but how you finish.....Don't give up hope, there were plenty of signs fir optimism yesterday in my opinion.

There is a play that no one has talked about & it was early in the game, Jets are cranking, moving at will up 7-0. 3rd down throw to Marshall, ball goes whizzing by him & a Bengal launches himself into Brandon's head & neck area, way after the play.

NO CALL! Why because he's a big WR? I guarantee you if a Jet player hit a guy like Edelman in the same manner flags would have rained down on the field. It's BS the lack of calls this team gets. That was a HUGE series, Jets had all the momentum, ready to go up 14 zip, ball should have been 1st & goal on the one yard line! Instead...blocked FG & the biggest momentum changer of the game. 

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

Seen this game over and and over and over forever. Haven't hosted a playoff game since 2002/2003. Yesterday puts us once again probably  not making the playoffs at all,and   certainly not competing for the AFCE. 

Archived